Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 481 Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"How about 60%? That's statistically better than guessing."

Blind tests aren't passed simply by the percentage correct, they are passed by the possibility of the results occuring by chance being below some pre-determined percentage. Typically that is the 95% confidence test.. meaning there was less then a 5% chance that the results happened by chance. That is considered a pass in most ABX tests I have seen.

This sounds like the same thing as 60% correct but it isn't. Consider someone saying they scored 100% correct on an ABX test. Is that better or worse then someone that scored only 60% correct on an ABX test?

The correct answer if you don't have enough information.

If the person scored 100% correct only had a single trial a score of 100% would happen by chance 50% the time. If the person that scored 60% correct did that on 100 trials that would happen by chance a little less then 3% of the time. In that example the person scoring 60% passed the trial the person scoring 100% did not.

Likewise scoring 60% correct on 10 trials would occur by random chance about 37% of the time... that is not a passed test.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 481 Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"Well, if you know of a *good* high-bit one with digital inputs and 5-way capability (I don't see the point beyond that), preferably somewhat modular, I'm all ears!"

A pair of Behringers would give you digital in and up to a single 6 way speaker for each crossover. If you want to avoid their analog stage you can mod them for 3x S/PDIF output easily. Especially handy if you go to class D amps with digital inputs.

Shawn
post #363 of 481 Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I was thinking about a design I have for a 5-way speaker and it would be a massive hassle to build it with passive crossovers, but it would be far easier with digital crossovers, if I can find one that will do 5-way.

I posted this earlier http://www.xta.uk.com/products-series4.html but maybe you didn't look into it because it isn't made by DEQX. The DP448 could be used for a single up to 8-way speaker, or a pair of 4-ways.
post #364 of 481 Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

"How about 60%? That's statistically better than guessing."

Blind tests aren't passed simply by the percentage correct, they are passed by the possibility of the results occuring by chance being below some pre-determined percentage. Typically that is the 95% confidence test.. meaning there was less then a 5% chance that the results happened by chance. That is considered a pass in most ABX tests I have seen.

Sure, but I can't predict whether I'd do 100% or not. It might be unbelievably easy or I might make a mistake or two. It depends on how many variables. If the only variable is passive versus active crossover, it should be pretty easy to score higher.

John
post #365 of 481 Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

I posted this earlier http://www.xta.uk.com/products-series4.html but maybe you didn't look into it because it isn't made by DEQX. The DP448 could be used for a single up to 8-way speaker, or a pair of 4-ways.

Looks cool, though I am kind of looking more for an OEM type solution. DEQX says it's up to a new OEM system, but specifics aren't available. I just like DEQX because i know it so well, but am certainly open to other things.

John
post #366 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Trinnov now has per channel digital crossovers, bass management, and PEQ. I think but am not sure there are up to 24 outputs.

You can see screen shots on their website

You don't have to use their room processing if you don't want to.

I know it can easily do stereo five ways.

Modular.

Multiple inputs, analog and digital, and multiple presets.

Lacks surround processing, which would have to be done upstream.

I have not heard it, but am strongly considering it.
post #367 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

Trinnov now has per channel digital crossovers, bass management, and PEQ. I think but am not sure there are up to 24 outputs.

You can see screen shots on their website

You don't have to use their room processing if you don't want to.

Modular.

Multiple inputs, analog and digital, and multiple presets.

Lacks surround processing, which would have to be done upstream.

I have not heard it, but am strongly considering it.

The Trinnov processor is on my radar as well. I know a few who will be using it in the future and await their impressions. It sounds quite promising.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #368 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Looks cool, though I am kind of looking more for an OEM type solution. DEQX says it's up to a new OEM system, but specifics aren't available. I just like DEQX because i know it so well, but am certainly open to other things.

For the record, while we got some much improved results with lots of playing, the DEQX absolutely drove me nuts in use as it was very limited in what you could make it do to combat out of band issues or in making adjustments in the driver overlap/crossover region. It is able to give you good results very quickly, and will work better with more simplistic driver configurations.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #369 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

For the record, while we got some much improved results with lots of playing, the DEQX absolutely drove me nuts in use as it was very limited in what you could make it do to combat out of band issues or in making adjustments in the driver overlap/crossover region. It is able to give you good results very quickly, and will work better with more simplistic driver configurations.

I know they don't give you anything really besides symmetrical crossovers, but basically that is because they optimize the impulse response first, in theory making that unnecessary. Well, you know, "in theory".

Two questions, though - what specifically would you want it to do to compbat out of band issues aside from steep crossovers and impulse response correction and secondly, what do you mean by "more simplistic driver configurations"?

John
post #370 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, they say they can do up to 4-way and that's actually okay. I have in mind a 5-way design, but it's a little overkill

John
post #371 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

...what do you mean by "more simplistic driver configurations"?

Perhaps a two or three way instead of a four or five way.
post #372 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post

Perhaps a two or three way instead of a four or five way.

It's a 3-way crossover, so that's a bit obvious. I am wondering if he's referring to the kinds of drivers or number of drivers, monopole vs dipole, etc.

John
post #373 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

It's a 3-way crossover, so that's a bit obvious. I am wondering if he's referring to the kinds of drivers or number of drivers, monopole vs dipole, etc.

I've read through this thread and frankly have no idea why this is in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) forum; it seems to me this should be over in the DIY Speakers and Subs forum, or at least in the Speakers forum. Maybe the moderator needs to move it where it is more relevant.
post #374 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Because DSP is the way of the future and because many of them are well above $20K. At least this thread has *some* gear over $20K. Most threads here don't have anything over $10K, the new Arcam thread, for instance. Maybe add a few zeros to your post count and then criticize.

John
post #375 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Because DSP is the way of the future and because many of them are well above $20K. At least this thread has *some* gear over $20K. Most threads here don't have anything over $10K, the new Arcam thread, for instance. Maybe add a few zeros to your post count and then criticize.

It just seemed like a do it yourself speaker thread to me. Sorry, I didn't realize there was a post count requirement to participate. Are you a moderator?
post #376 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It just seemed like a do it yourself speaker thread to me. Sorry, I didn't realize there was a post count requirement to participate. Are you a moderator?

No, but it strikes me as odd that you seem to be here only to create problems for the thread, rather than 'participate'. And it seems maybe you are someone that was tossed off AVS and reborn under a new name (only 4 posts, all on one thread, mostly critical? C'mon). But either way, I did start the thread and it is largely about manufactured DSP speakers, though you can obviously roll your own if no one is building what you are seeking.

John
post #377 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

No, but it strikes me as odd that you seem to be here only to create problems for the thread, rather than 'participate'. And it seems maybe you are someone that was tossed off AVS and reborn under a new name (only 4 posts, all on one thread, mostly critical? C'mon). But either way, I did start the thread and it is largely about DSP speakers, though you can obviously roll your own if no one is building what you are seeking.

Well, this is quite a welcome.
post #378 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read through this thread and frankly have no idea why this is in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) forum; it seems to me this should be over in the DIY Speakers and Subs forum, or at least in the Speakers forum. Maybe the moderator needs to move it where it is more relevant.

A number of digital active speakers are up there in price. Klein + Hummel o500c is $18k each. Times 7 = $126k msrp. The Legend Tikandi that Alimentall is so fond of is something like $25k/pair; times 3.5 = $87k. The standalone crossover I linked to is by itself only $5800, but put a pair of similar ones into a package with a pair of Dynaudio M4Us and 4 Chord amps, and you're at $62k list for a pair of "digital active speakers"; times 3.5 = $217k http://www.proaudiodesign.com/search...ro&advsearch=1
post #379 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, this is quite a welcome.

Well, you made it to my 'ignore' list in a "flash", pardon the pun.

John
post #380 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:

A number of digital active speakers are up there in price. Klein + Hummel o500c is $18k each. Times 7 = $126k msrp. The Legend Tikandi that Alimentall is so fond of is something like $25k/pair; times 3.5 = $87k. The standalone crossover I linked to is by itself only $5800, but put a pair of similar ones into a package with a pair of Dynaudio M4Us and 4 Chord amps, and you're at $62k list for a pair of "digital active speakers"; times 3.5 = $217k http://www.proaudiodesign.com/search...ro&advsearch=1

Thanks for the clarification. It makes more sense now.
post #381 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is surprising to see even NIN74 disagreeing with Alimentall. Surprisingly, I find myself in complete agreement with NIN74.

Quote:

it seems to me this should be over in the DIY Speakers and Subs forum, or at least in the Speakers forum.

It is surprising to see someone whose first post was only yesterday writing things such as the above, as the comments seem to indicate a certain familiarity with NIN74's and Alimentall's views, and the structure of the AVS forum. Chances are, you've actually been around these parts for quite awhile, but only the name "Barry Allen" is what is new.
post #382 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

It is surprising to see someone whose first post was only yesterday writing things such as the above, as the comments seem to indicate a certain familiarity with NIN74's and Alimentall's views, and the structure of the AVS forum.

It doesn't take long to become familiar with NIN74's and Alimentall's views. They litter the forum and unfortunately are such that they cannot be overlooked. About ten posts into any given thread, patently untenable claims are made, the contention begins, denial ensues, the thread is derailed and everyone becomes so exasperated the thread dies or is finally put out of its misery by the moderator. It really does a disservice to others to continue to allow them to ruin what could be a terrific forum. But I can see that I am not welcome here so I will move on. Yet another participant is run off by the demagogues. Undoubtedly I will be banned from the thread and this post deleted for speaking the truth.
post #383 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't take long to become familiar with NIN74's and Alimentall's views. They litter the forum and unfortunately are such that they cannot be overlooked. About ten posts into any given thread, patently untenable claims are made, the contention begins, denial ensues, the thread is derailed and everyone becomes so exasperated the thread dies or is finally put out of its misery by the moderator. It really does a disservice to others to continue to allow them to ruin what could be a terrific forum. But I can see that I am not welcome here so I will move on. Yet another participant is run off by the demagogues. Undoubtedly I will be banned from the thread and this post deleted for speaking the truth.

Well, since you seem to enjoy playing cop and are saying you'll be leaving, you can go over to the Arcam thread that Alimentall mentioned and tell them that since the unit is under $20k, they should move over to another part of AVS.

I don't care for Alimentall's style, either (and in fact I had the distinct privilege of being on his ignore list for a time), but I think that the view you express above is somewhat out of line as it pertains to this thread, because it is Alimentall's thread. Do you feel he has derailed his own thread? I don't. It is true that the more recent posts are somewhat about standalone digital active crossovers, which could be used DIY, but I really don't consider that a derailment from the thread topic, anymore than a discussion of the merits of, say, coaxial drivers would be in a thread that had the titile "KEF Reference speakers".

EDIT: The funny thing about your attitude is that, if he posted stuff about DEQX and digital active speakers on the Magico V5 thread or the Kharma Grand Exquisite thread (which he has), you would be telling him (perhaps justly) to "go start your own thread." Well, he has done that. And yet you can't stop with the criticism?
post #384 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Barry, if you get banned, it'll be because your IP matches up with another nick or two

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #385 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How about 60%? That's statistically better than guessing. But what I'd want to hear is a passive speaker, then the same speaker DEQXed. I'd bet I can do that more like 80-90%. And how much cash are we talking?

60% gives nothing.

Quote:

No, not really. When I listen to a Meridian speaker, I honestly feel like all I can hear are the drivers. Not the crossover, not the cabinet. When I hear many other speakers, there's more color there than the drivers alone should reproduce. I just have a LOT of experience with DSP speakers and doing tons of A/B testing compared to passive speakers. How many DSP speakers have you owned?

Non! I have listen to Meridian and maybe some other, but the real question is, why you believe that DSP speaker is so much better. Speakers are not better than all its sums.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #386 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post

60% gives nothing.

Give me specifics. What speakers am I listening to? How much money? Who's doing the switching, etc, etc, etc. I need to know before I decide whether to take your money. Throw Xd in as the DSP speaker and I *definitely* will take all your money.
Quote:

Non! I have listen to Meridian and maybe some other, but the real question is, why you believe that DSP speaker is so much better. Speakers are not better than all its sums.

Exactly. All passive speakers are somewhat crippled and simply can't surmount this. DSP crossovers don't instantly make the speaker better than all other speakers, it makes it better than it would be without it. Actually, much of which is because of the multi-amped design. I would not use the drivers that Meridian uses as I think there are much better drivers, but they still do micro dynamics much better than speakers I've heard with much better drivers and they don't fatigue even at high volumes.

John
post #387 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Quote:

I know they don't give you anything really besides symmetrical crossovers, but basically that is because they optimize the impulse response first, in theory making that unnecessary. Well, you know, "in theory".

Two questions, though - what specifically would you want it to do to compbat out of band issues aside from steep crossovers and impulse response correction and secondly, what do you mean by "more simplistic driver configurations"?

Not answering for Mark Seaton, but since he helped me with my DEQX in a two way line array setup augmented with a pair of mono subs, I'd suggest the following would be nice additions, in priority order ...

(1) The ability to apply PEQ per channel and per driver. Right now you can only do manual PEQ overall for both channels for all drivers. In my case I would have liked to have damped down a "sibilance" in the tweeter array that was below the frequency that the midrange centered around.

(2) The ability to use different measurement sets for the various drivers, and, to combine measurement sets for the drivers (more of an "averaging" feature.)

(3) The ability to have non symmetrical slopes between the mids and tweets. (You can do this between the mids and subs already though.)
post #388 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not answering for Mark Seaton, but since he helped me with my DEQX in a two way line array setup augmented with a pair of mono subs, I'd suggest the following would be nice additions, in priority order ...

(1) The ability to apply PEQ per channel and per driver. Right now you can only do manual PEQ overall for both channels for all drivers. In my case I would have liked to have damped down a "sibilance" in the tweeter array that was below the frequency that the midrange centered around.

(2) The ability to use different measurement sets for the various drivers, and, to combine measurement sets for the drivers (more of an "averaging" feature.)

(3) The ability to have non symmetrical slopes between the mids and tweets. (You can do this between the mids and subs already though.)

You have custom line arrays, correct?

John
post #389 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, Rick Craig built me some rosewood finished arrays with 8 Accuton midwoofers per side and 8 Fountek ribbons per side, both in sealed cabinets.

3db down at 90hz crossing over to a pair of monster subs from Mark Seaton.
post #390 of 481 Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very true, but of course, digital just makes it easier (though more expensive). I was thinking about a design I have for a 5-way speaker and it would be a massive hassle to build it with passive crossovers, but it would be far easier with digital crossovers, if I can find one that will do 5-way.

BTW Linn has an active 5-way, the Klimax 350A; I think the crossover is analog. Even the active center, the 340A, is 5-way, which I have never heard of before. Kind of pricey, though.
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page