Verity Fidelio/ Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 5.1/ B&W Nautilus 802N/802D/ Revel Ultima - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one would you choice? If this was your only choices..
Verity Fidelio Encore 0 0%
Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 5.1 0 0%
B&W Nautilus 802N/802D 0 0%
Revel Ultima Studio 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello fellow AVS memeber. I in a seach for the most a full range speakers and have narrow down to the following:
Verity Fidelio Encore
Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 5.1
B&W Nautilus 802N/802D
Revel Ultima Studio

Pleas let me know and may other there if you own one of these . Tell us in your opinion, the PRO/CON on them. I only have a small window before I have to make up my mind. They are all pre-own.

Thanks in advanced

keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you listened to these? They are have a fairly different sound from one another so it is surprising to see them as your final choices. No matter what anyone says here nothing is as import as how they sound to you.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What kind of room do you have? What kind of sound do you like? Off the top, I would say that the N802 is not a particularly good speaker, though the 802D is pretty good and better at all frequencies. All are pricey at new prices, but are much better values at used. Revels are probably the most resolving, though I do find them to be a bit clinical on the rock/pop stuff. In any case, are you going to listen to these or is this an 'audiogon' type deal?

John
post #4 of 19 Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

my room is 20x16. I have listen to the B&W 802D . The sound has a dynamic impact, deep base and have great extension in the highs. Mid range is also good. But you need to feed this speakers a lot of power. It sad to said that we don't have a lot of Hi-Fi store here in the VA area. Most of them have file for chapter 11.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

But you need to feed this speakers a lot of power.

Why do you say this?

John
post #6 of 19 Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It is between Revel and 802D.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #7 of 19 Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM

Keith, I'd agree with rydenfan, you almost couldn't pick a different sounding set of speakers if you tried! If your room wasn't as big, I'd say go Verity, the most neutral and least fatiguing of the lot. The Studio is alright, but it has a bloated bass, having owned it in the past, I can tell you you'll be looking for something else pretty quick.

That said, the Wilsons are worse! As for the B&W, IMHO, either you hate the or love 'em. If those are the only speakers you've heard among the lot and liked them, then I'd say go for it.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Why do you say this?

i think he meant those designed with coal firing plant electricity are under power. you need nuclear generated electricity

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #9 of 19 Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM

As an B&W 800D owner I would agree that the 800 series needs a lot of power in amps. I am using Electrocompaniet Nemos AW600 and have tried other "weaker" amps as well but the difference is there and is big. I also have a Bryston 14BSST that I have not tried yet but I doubt that it can drive them anywhere close that well as the Nemos.

Sure they will play even with lesser amps but try them with big bad monoblocks and you will hear a different sound.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:

As an B&W 800D owner I would agree that the 800 series needs a lot of power in amps.

Just because a speaker can handle a lot of power does not mean you need a lot of power, it all depends on how loud you like to listen.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

I would throw the Martin Logan Summit X into the mix if you can find a pair to listen to. They have made some big improvements compared to the highly acclaimed original Summit. The bottom end is supposed to be much tighter to go with the panel improvements evident in the Spire.

I haven't heard the Summit X but have a pair on order. The original Summit sounded great and the current Spire ($8500) sounds even better (although I would not necessarily call them full range).
post #12 of 19 Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I would throw the Martin Logan Summit X into the mix if you can find a pair to listen to. They have made some big improvements compared to the highly acclaimed original Summit. The bottom end is supposed to be much tighter to go with the panel improvements evident in the Spire.

As long as you do not smoke or have them in direct sun light.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JargonGR View Post

As an B&W 800D owner I would agree that the 800 series needs a lot of power in amps. I am using Electrocompaniet Nemos AW600 and have tried other "weaker" amps as well but the difference is there and is big. I also have a Bryston 14BSST that I have not tried yet but I doubt that it can drive them anywhere close that well as the Nemos.

Sure they will play even with lesser amps but try them with big bad monoblocks and you will hear a different sound.

I would like to use mono blocks but don't have the room space on my rack I considering using a a Class D amp. Have anyone used a D-sonic amp. I'm looking at the 3500 amp. It a 7 channel @525 @8Ω.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Morgan View Post

I haven't heard the Summit X but have a pair on order. The original Summit sounded great and the current Spire ($8500) sounds even better (although I would not necessarily call them full range).

I the past when i listen to Martin Logan speakers, it give me a flat feeling. It a good look speaker. Hope the new Series will be improvement.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM

If you listened to Martin Logan Speakers pre Summit (2005 or so) you may not have been entirely impressed. The Summit was a pretty dramatic improvement and the Spire and now Summit X are even better. The mesh of the cone based, low frequency drivers to the ESL panels in these speakers are very seamless.

And I agree Doug, Martin Logan is not a good speaker if you are a smoker as the panel seems to attract the smoke but then again I doubt that smoke is very good for any speaker, especially for it's resale value. And having any speaker in direct sunlight is probably not a good idea.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Required amplifier power depends on the sensitivity of the speaker (SPL), dispersion and desired listening volume. A 90dB 1W, 1m speaker will generate 90dB sound pressure at 1m using only 1Wpc.

If the listening point is 3m away, dispersion reduces the sound pressure by 9dB's to 81dB's ( still moderately loud ) using 1Wpc. If 102dB's is required 3m away, about 130Wpc would be required. This is pretty loud.

Like most domestic Hi Fi speakers, Bowers and Wilkins tend to be rated at about 90dB SPL. Unless you're listening quite far away from the speaker, or require very loud music, you should not need more than 150Wpc.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM
isb

I don't think that it's for SPL that the larger B&W 800 series speakers need 'a lot' of power, but rather for the bass dynamics.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post
Hello fellow AVS memeber. I in a seach for the most a full range speakers and have narrow down to the following:
Verity Fidelio Encore
Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 5.1
B&W Nautilus 802N/802D
Revel Ultima Studio

Pleas let me know and may other there if you own one of these . Tell us in your opinion, the PRO/CON on them. I only have a small window before I have to make up my mind. They are all pre-own.

Thanks in advanced

keith
Here's what I can offer from my listening room:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...5bw/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...302/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...vel/index.html

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #19 of 19 Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

The 800 and 802 can be driven with a 50Wpc amplifier, per B&W. This will provide RMS SPL of 80dB and peak SPL of 95dB at about 4 meters.

Bass dynamics should be accommodated by peak power overhead of 15dB's. The minimum speaker impedance is about 3 ohms - compared to 8 ohms. This would be experienced with the woofer and represents a doubling in current which is roughly a four-fold increase in power, or 6dB.

The 800 can be driven with up to a 1kWpc amplifier, per B&W. This would support 4 meter RMS SPL of 93dB with peaks hitting 108dB. Alternatively, at 15 meters (such as in a small concert hall), 1kW would support RMS of 81dB and peaks of about 96dB. - 1kWpc at 15 meters is similar to 50Wpc at 4 meters.

Above 1kWpc, speaker cones probably would be damaged.

I may be out by a dB or three, but my point is that the required power level in a typical domestic environment, with speakers rated at about 90dB, is really much more modest than amplifier manufacturers might imply.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page