Oppo BDP-83 Vs. Denon DVD-A1UDCI - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Ayre has a new BD player coming out based on the Oppo. They are also going to have a USB input on it so you can use it as a DAC for other sources. I am going to a demo of it in Seattle later this month. Cost is higher than the Lexicon and Denon, but should be a delight for the uber audiophiles out there. I think around $8K if I remember correctly.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No one's gonna demo Goldmun's $135 grand blu ray player?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #333 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Remember, the CBII has Jitter Jail jitter reduction circuitry. Still the Oppo was not close. We also compared it to my Bolder Cable modified Squeezebox Duet streamer. Again no comparison. The Duet was the equal of the Carmen using SPDIF, and trounced the Oppo. I assume the Denon would do the same, but I've not yet been able to test it. I know my Denon DVD-5910 bests the Oppo as well.
We eagerly await the Theta and Lexicon versions of the Oppo. They may be the ticket for the high end. The Theta is going to retail @ $2995. We'll see if it can equal or best the Elite or Denon.
As I've said before the best sound we've been able to get for the BD Codecs is using the analogue outputs of BD Players with very good analogue outputs. I'm still waiting for the silver bullet to conquor HDMI audio. Not heard it yet. Maybe the Denon with Denon Link 4 or the new Classe have it licked. I know Theta will not put its HDMI solution on the street until they're satisfied with the results. I also know the high end manufacturers don't like HDMI as a conduit for audio. It reminds me of the pain of S-Video, but we're all stuck with it now. Regards, Norm

Some years ago I demod the Carmen 2. I then had the Theta Voyager and
the Voyager was clearly better as a CD transport. That was I think my then CB2 but with Extreme DACs - CB3 upgrade improved sonics of Extreme DACs even more. I have felt that my Theta Compli was as good as my Voyager was as a redbook transport. Well, my PS Audio PerfectWave Transport trouces the Compli on redbook (even on SACD) with the Extreme DACs. But then forget the Extreme DACs, the PWT via IS2 HDMI cable to the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC is even appreciably better than the Extreme DACs. Norm, what's takin' ya so long to try this?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #334 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
More about the Ayre:

Quote:

Based on the Oppo BDP-83 transport, the DX-5 is a state of the art universal disc player capable of playing Blu-Ray and DVD (audio and video), SACD, DVD-Audio (any PCM format) and CD. We have also included our asynchronous USB input so that the DX-5 can function as a computer based DAC. As a disc player the DX-5 will offer demonstrably higher performance then both the C-5xeMP and the CX-7eMP. Additionally, the performance as a USB-DAC will be noticeably better then our current and already well regarded QB-9. Last but not least- The video performance of the DX-5 will unequivocally offer the best BD and DVD picture currently available.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #335 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Some years ago I demod the Carmen 2. I then had the Theta Voyager and
the Voyager was clearly better as a CD transport. That was I think my then CB2 but with Extreme DACs - CB3 upgrade improved sonics of Extreme DACs even more. I have felt that my Theta Compli was as good as my Voyager was as a redbook transport. Well, my PS Audio PerfectWave Transport trouces the Compli on redbook (even on SACD) with the Extreme DACs. But then forget the Extreme DACs, the PWT via IS2 HDMI cable to the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC is even appreciably better than the Extreme DACs. Norm, what's takin' ya so long to try this?

Steve, tell Paul to PM me.
post #336 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Ayre has a new BD player coming out based on the Oppo. They are also going to have a USB input on it so you can use it as a DAC for other sources. I am going to a demo of it in Seattle later this month. Cost is higher than the Lexicon and Denon, but should be a delight for the uber audiophiles out there. I think around $8K if I remember correctly.

Ayre told me at RMAF that price was TBD, but it looked like $7-9K was likely. The USB DAC is based on their stand alone model so it should be a nice add on. Regards, Norm
post #337 of 340 Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Steve, tell Paul to PM me.

You have a PM with the info you need to go PerfectWave!!!@@@ Or at least to compare to your current music server setup. But I think given that you find your music server sonically equivalent to the Carmen, that you will be in for a vivid audiosonic treat!!!@@@

post #338 of 340 Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Save your money.

Denon is slow with firmware updates. OPPO has a new one very week or two.

To me, it is a no brainer.

But that said, I am in the camp that believes you have to have a back-up player in case a disc doesn't load. This is why I have 2 players in my rack. I just had a disc that did not load in the Denon, so instead of fretting, I popped it into my OPPO and didn't miss a beat. Blu Ray is just too finnicky.

======================================
Lucky you, my Oppo 971H also refuses to load, and my backup is my Toshiba laptop that never fails !
post #339 of 340 Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If the Denon DVD-A1UDCI is compared with the Marantz BD 8002, just for watching blu ray and feeding DTS HD MA via hdmi to a pre pro Denon AVP-A1HDCI, does the Denon out-perform the Marantz?
post #340 of 340 Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find the little Oppo 93 I have, to be delightful on SACD and DVD audio! This is when I hooked it up using good analogue interconnects to two better than average Denon AV receivers. My audiophile friends also thought the SACD was as good as my more expensive Sony non blu-ray, CD/SACD/ & some DVDA players, we were only comparing the music using good quality SACD and DVDA disks. One friend said the $1000 Sony ES, new price a few years back, sounded better, another said the other Sony ES, CD/SACD sounded a little better, no one thought there was a big difference and all felt the SACD it two channel, or multichannel sounded nice for the set-up, which was not high-end.
Then we did another test, I have an older model SonyES used as a transport, to an ARC DAC, to am ARC preamplifier, lets just say all the power, tube triode on high frequency and a powerful SS for the bass, with bass management.

Here the Oppo, connected directly to the pre-amp, with good RCA, sounded very weak and lost much definition, as did both on the Sonys. We were all a bit taken back by this experience. I then used my McCormack direct and the sound vastly improved, we all were in agreement, at last something was standing up to the ARC! However, on HDCD, through the ARC DAC, the sound was improved along all dimensions, other than some warmth from the McCormack in SACD two channel The best Sony also gave it a run for the money, yet the ARC, using a BNC connection, or coaxial, to BNC adapter proved to be overall the best. Some of us felt the McCormack was more pleasant on soft jazz, some with partiality for a softer, more rounded female voice, but we all felt the ARC was overall the best, in symphony and lager Jazz, classical and rock playback. The difference between the McCormack and the best Sony ES, was a mater of opinion, some liked the McCormack more, while I am more used to the Sony

All this proves to me is that with very high-end gear, then the sound with music shows a big difference, yet with the AV receivers, they still sounded very nice and you forget the comparison once it is completed. Why shouldn’t a very high end system top a player, with its on DAC, like the Oppo and Sony CD/SCSD/DVD, without blu-ray not be comparable to components that cost around 4 grand or more a piece, sound better, and who really care, unless you what to set up a super HT with such a stereo and add the best processor, with the best five channel amplifier?

I know I am new here, not not yet seen as a real person, so, feel fee to find this out of place, I am mainly saying the Oppo for $499 on Amazon was a good deal for me and sounds very nice! I am beginning to like multichannel with music now.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page