post #301 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Tip on using nvida 3d with non listed projectors, in this case an optoa hd66, from the under 3k forum, is to select generic display crt and that should be the only one listed at 120hz. For video one need to flip the computer output or the glasses, not for games though, or was it the otherway round, apparently a bug in the nvida software.

I read someone was doing that with a few different projectors on the Nvidia forums. Seem like they were all connecting to the projector thru a standard VGA. My concern is if will give me the option to pick "Analong CRT" if the projector is being fed with a Dual Link DVI.

Another option i heard was to pull to pins from the DVI cable that send and receive EDID info. That way the computer cant recognize the projector and then it will just think its connected to a generic PnP display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

6)3 D capability, now this looks killer and I have ordered a 3 D Gamer computer just to check out the 3D Dual 16 Bit inputs, stay tuned...

LJG > Did u get this yet, have you started to use any 3D?
post #303 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No, I never pulled the trigger on 3D HTPC, I will probably pick up a cablevision HD box when I return from vacation to check out 3D and also the Masters.

I have Directv, and won't switch, so it will be a temporary solution until Directv goes 3D in June
post #304 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Check the 3K forum, posted alst week or so, remenber it was fed via HDMI, but not sure if my memory serves me right.
post #305 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

The problem I am running into with figuring out a 3D PC solution is that you cant enable stereo (3D) on the Nvidia card without using the 3D Vision kit, and that doesnt want to recognize my Titan. They have a list of all the displays they test and support and that is it, according to Nvidia, irregardless if my projector is actually capable.

I think i want to get the Xpand 3D glasses kit, being that ultimately I want 12 pair, one of each seat, and DPI said they dont support DLP-Link. The Xpand IR emitter uses a BNC cable which will plug directly into the projectors sync cable.

So if i could get a graphic card that will work in stereo mode I would be good to go, also DPI said it would need to have a BNC or Mini-Din 3-pin sync jack?
post #306 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I tracked the thread I was referring to and bumped it for you, asking how it was hooked-up. In this thread it is mentioned that the Nvidia set-up doesn't use DLP link, the syncing is provided by the content.
post #307 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

I tracked the thread I was referring to and bumped it for you, asking how it was hooked-up. In this thread it is mentioned that the Nvidia set-up doesn't use DLP link, the syncing is provided by the content.

Thanks for the info! I posted to see which connection he was using also. I read somewhere that the only way the Optoma HD66 projector could display 120Hz was on the VGA input but maybe that was wrong.
post #308 of 716 Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Liked: 10
I think one would prefer a digital input from a digital source ... analog to digital on a computer dosen't look as good as digital to digital on a computer
post #309 of 716 Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Here is an interesting thread covering info on how to watch The Masters on line in 3D.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1239231
post #310 of 716 Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

FINALLY!

3D is up and running. I ended up ordering the Nvidia 3D Vision kit and it is working great. Movie clips and 3D games are awesome.

The only way to enable 3D stereoscopic from the Nvidia graphic card is with their kit.

Now that it is setup and working im going to order the Xpand 101 glasses kit. Probably the kit for 5 glasses and the emitter for $999.00

Then Ill add 7 more sets after the universal glasses from Xpand are released. That way if i get any other 3D sets, from Sony or Samsung the Xpand glasses should work with all.

I will have to leave the IR emitter from Nvidia plugged into the computer but them ill connect the Xpand emiiter directly to the projector and let it create the sync signal. The the Nvidia graphic card wont know im not using their glasses and emitter.

The glasses dont seem that bad, but the tiny little IR emitter sucks mainly beacuse it connects via USB and you cant use any USB hubs with it. I was able to extend the cable that came with it with one 10Ft extention so I have a total length of about 20FT.

The Xpand emitter is high powered and can cover 70FT.

BUT SO FAR AMAZINGLY GOOD!

Im interested in seeing how the Master will look streamed via the internet.
post #311 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This is no April's fools:

TRIPLE FLASH AND MORE...

TITAN 3D and LIGHTNING 3D Projectors Receive Major Enhancements
TITAN 3D and LIGHTNING 3D Projectors Receive Major Enhancements
Just 9 months ago, DP introduced our comprehensive lineup of active 3D TITAN and LIGHTNING displays. With nineteen distinct models in total, we offer a 3D display with the perfect lumens, native resolution and contrast to suit any application. No other company has created such a powerful set of 3D display solutions.

Since the launch 9 months ago, DP's 3D products have found their way into a diversity of applications, including medical imaging, product design, immersive visualization, theme park entertainment and home cinema. Inspired by the multi-market success we have enjoyed, DP's engineers have been working overtime to expand the performance of our 3D products. Digital Projection is proud to announce the following new and enhanced capabilities for our TITAN and LIGHTNING 3D displays:

• MultiBlend - DP's four side image blend technology. MultiBlend supports the tiling of multiple projectors to create screens of nearly any resolution and aspect ratio. Users can define the location and size of the blend area, as well as accurately calibrate the black level of the non-blend areas so that they correlate with the black level of the blend areas. Our MultiBlend technology provides an unprecedented 16 bit-per-color gray-scale resolution, ensuring blends are smooth, seamless and invisible. When employed with one of DP's Reference / Ultra Contrast displays, which produce a native contrast ratio in excess of 5000:1, the resulting blended imagery is superlative. The user interface for adjusting MultiBlend is straightforward, and can be accessed via the OSD, or via desktop application.

• Silent Operation - All single and dual lamp TITAN 3D models have received major enhancements in thermal management, resulting in projectors that are literally a fraction of the noise level of the prior models, while actually enhancing thermal performance of the chassis. In specific terms, single-lamp TITAN 3D models, which produce up to 5000 lumens, now operate at less than 35 dBA. Dual lamp TITAN 3D models, which produce up to 10,000 lumens, now operate at less than 45 dBA. A similar reduction in operating noise level is also being introduced on non-3D TITAN models.

• Dual-Pipe Connectivity - 3D sources and formats come in a variety of standards. One, which we call "Dual-Pipe," actually sends the left eye and right eye content down two parallel cables. With this new connectivity, Dual-Pipe sources can now be input directly to the 3D projector.

• Ultra-High Bandwidth capability - The unique ability of these electronics to take up to 144Hz sources with up to 12 bits greyscale resolution per color and directly display them on the screen without compromising resolution, greyscale or color.

• On Screen Display for native 120 Hz signals - The OSD for the TITAN 3D and LIGHTNING 3D is now visible as an overlay on all 2D and 3D sources - even those running at 120 Hz. This makes optimizing setup for any source easier than ever.

• Dual-Flash Processing for All Inputs - Our Dual-Flash Processing technology allows 60 Hz 3D sources to be frame doubled and displayed at 120 Hz on screen. The doubled frames are also interleaved to assure smooth presentation with maximum 3D separation and no flicker. The Dual-Flash capability is now available for every input on TITAN and LIGHTNNG 3D projectors.

• Triple-Flash Processing for All Inputs - In applications where 1080-24p 3D content is to be displayed (24 frames for the left eye, 24 frames for the right eye), Triple-flash is applied. In short, each of the 24 frames of the left and right content are tripled, such that 72 frames per eye, or 144 frames in total, are presented to the screen every second. Triple flash processing assures the smoothest, flicker free presentation of 24P 3D content. The majority of digital projection in commercial cinemas relies on this same triple-flash standard.

• FastFrame for All Inputs - This exclusive DP technology reduces motion artifacts associated with rapidly moving content, such as what may be seen when viewing sporting events. With FastFrame properly set, moving edge sharpness is dramatically enhanced and motion blur reduced, if not eliminated. It is now available for every input on TITAN and LIGHTNING 3D displays.

The majority of TITAN and LIGHTNING 3D projectors delivered as of April 2010 will include all of these new capabilities. If you have an earlier TITAN 3D or LIGHTNING 3D projector and are interested in upgrading your unit to include these new features, contact your DP Regional Manager or DP
post #312 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Hi Peter:

What is the upgrade procedure?
post #313 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
For those who own DPI projectors here,what is your opinion of their customer service ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #314 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

My direct opinion is they were a bit slow but in the end the came through with flying colors.....and did great by me
post #315 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

For those who own DPI projectors here,what is your opinion of their customer service ?

Art

As dealers we have had pretty good response from our rep and DPI in general. Waiting for parts from Overseas, including projectors, has been the worst part of service from them.
post #316 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

I agree... with LJG.

They arnt the quickest to respnd but normally they get the job done.

I can say they have a very limited understanding of what their products are capable of 3D wise. That just blows my mind. I tried for a week to get info from DP technical support regarding 3D, but all they are interested in doing is selling their Mechdyne 3D Dimension Product. I think its a little bit of a joke though. $45K for a computer with a 3D capable graphic card and 12 sets of shutter glasses. I could see $10 - 15K but not $45k.

But as I see it right now, I wouldnt want any other projector brand unless I went Peter's DCI route.
post #317 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

But as I see it right now, I wouldnt want any other projector brand unless I went Peter's DCI route.

Why not? What makes this unit so much better than the competition in your subjective opinion?
post #318 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

I assume with a 3D set top box from cable providers the IR Emitter would be connected to the Sync input of the projector?
post #319 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I assume with a 3D set top box from cable providers the IR Emitter would be connected to the Sync input of the projector?

I believe you would connect the IR emitter to the Sync OUT of the projector and set the projector to generate the 3D sync signal internally.

The Sync IN would be fed from a computer or some other device with a sync output.
post #320 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

Why not? What makes this unit so much better than the competition in your subjective opinion?

Well for one, i'm not sure what other projector brands have a light output equal to the Titan while maintaining a reasonably good native contrast.

Secondly, I wanted 3D which even further limits the available options.

And lastly, I guess its just personal preference. The same reason I always prefer one brand car over another. I guess just history with the company and their commitment to service.
post #321 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe you would connect the IR emitter to the Sync OUT of the projector and set the projector to generate the 3D sync signal internally.

The Sync IN would be fed from a computer or some other device with a sync output.

Thanks
post #322 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 540
My trip to the Masters in Augusta conflicted with my needing to be at Keeneland in Lexington, KY, the same weekend, for the running of the Toyota Bluegrass Stake. I won`t even be able to watch the Masters in 3D at wherever because I must be at the track Thursday through Sunday. At least I will have a silent monitor to watch it in 2D. For those interested, practice tickets for the Masters on Monday, Tuesday, and Weds are scoreable and next year I am going to be there for at least one practice day. Forty years ago, tickets for the actual competitive days were easily available but not any more. Lon. do you think Tiger has a good shot at winning?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #323 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well for one, i'm not sure what other projector brands have a light output equal to the Titan while maintaining a reasonably good native contrast.

Secondly, I wanted 3D which even further limits the available options.

And lastly, I guess its just personal preference. The same reason I always prefer one brand car over another. I guess just history with the company and their commitment to service.

What is your screen size?
post #324 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone happen to know what the status is on the HIGHlite 260? Did DP ever ship this model? Is it $25K or $30K?
post #325 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 540
One has to remember that no matter the screen size, shutter glass 3D requires about 6 times more light than for the equivalent 2D brightness.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #326 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

One has to remember that no matter the screen size, shutter glass 3D requires about 6 times more light than for the equivalent 2D brightness.

I know, which is why i am curious to hear his brightness level with the 3D.
post #327 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

What is your screen size?

Right now its 170" Wide Scope.

I have been thinking about putting in an SMX 4-way masking 2.0 Aspect 170" wide.

that way neither scope material or 16:9 material will seem less attractive than the other.

I guess i'm waiting to see how much 3D content will be 16:9 and how much will be scope.
post #328 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone happen to know what the status is on the HIGHlite 260? Did DP ever ship this model? Is it $25K or $30K?

I dont think they have announced firm pricing yet, but I think thats coming really really soon!

I believe it starts shipping the end of April.
post #329 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I am trying to get the Xpand glasses. I have been in contact with both the head of their gaming division and their Pro-Cinema division. They are trying to decide which system they have will be the best fit.

They have, from what I understand a few different sizes for their IR Emitter with varying connections.

I wonder how much the light output will vary between those and the Nvidia glasses i'm using right now. Also the Nvidia glasses have a slight yellowish tint to them.

I can say that when the Nvidia glasses are in action "shuttering" or I'm just wearing them turned off there only seems to be a minor difference. The biggest difference is just the tint to the lenses themselves.

Right now I am content with the amount of light I get in 3D mode but definitely could be brighter. Since I still have my Titan 1080P-500 with the High-Brightness lens, I'm going to see how much brighter it will make the Titan 3D instead of the High-Contrast Lens. I may end up using both.

The only time the 3D seems to make my eyes feel like they are straining is during very dark scenes. I also wonder how the brightness will vary with tripleflash at 144Hz vs doubleflash at 120Hz

One thing to mention, since I dont have a way of measuring the light output. I sure dont feel like 2D is 6 times brighter than 3D. Doesnt seem anything close to that. It would only seem to me to be about half. But thats just the impression my eyes get
post #330 of 716 Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am trying to get the Xpand glasses. I have been in contact with both the head of their gaming division and their Pro-Cinema division. They are trying to decide which system they have will be the best fit.

They have, from what I understand a few different sizes for their IR Emitter with varying connections.

I would be very interested in what they say, I ordered the XpanD 3D Stereoscopic Kit with 2 X101 Active 3D Glasses, but just cancelled my order because Cablevision needed to do an install for Set top box and I didn't have the time to set up an appointment. Will probably wait until June for Directv
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page