Titan 1080P 3D Dual Ultra Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 712 Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Elvis took a major fall . Out of all the possible booths for me to take a major fall , ironically the Barco booth was built up on a 9 inch ledge.

The Management company which runs every convention in the world was very proactive in letting me know who the boothbuilder was. They don't mind running a monopoly but it ain't their problem that someone built a booth that was clearly hassardous under their nose Umh? Not liable? We will see about that.

I got a complimentary walking stick and a knee brace out of it. I definetely tore some ligaments . Oh well...

The resident evil 3d film with Mila jovivich looks really cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 712 Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Sorry about your accident.

It would seem the designer of the booth would be the primary culprit. The booth company if it built a custom designed booth for a company might not have liability for a dangerous design. this will never go to court, the insurance company will pay and the booth exhibitor is required by show management (for most shows, I don`t know the details here but an exhibitor application from show management will tell) carry a large umbrella policy to cover any liability or property loss etc by show management. My guess is bottom line, you sue everybody and then the insurance companies will settle. My guess is that primary liability will be on the booth exhibitor.In essence or effect its their booth. Their insurance company will subrogate against any others having liability.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #393 of 712 Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hmm, going bust through not working, or through not getting anymore superkontrast, hmm. Get well.
post #394 of 712 Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for Peter to get a Segway with Xenon headlamps!
post #395 of 712 Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Xenon lamps probably are not road legal in Florida. Elvis on a Segway? Priceless!

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #396 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys, I'll live. Not going to let a leg get in the way of attempting to do : Sk├Âll, Pandora, Albiorix, Bergelmir, Kiviuq and Daphnis all at the same time.

Now I wonder if the titan can be mounted shooting straight up into a periscope mirror (for the Daphnis pitch)?
post #397 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Man, sorry to hear about the leg. For a CEDIA booth, you have to have a Georgia Structural Engineer approve the plans, CEDIA has to approve the plans, the Fire Marshall has to approve the plans. I think I'll have Mark approve the plans...just for good measure. Oh, well. Get well soon.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #398 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Periscope mirror doesn't require the projector to shoot up, a periscope already has an second 45 degree angle mirror.

BTW, years ago I was at IBC at the Fraunhofer booth. It showed a 360 degree retro projection set-up using standard little LCD projectors (these always showed FX something markings on their silver housing over a number of years, no idea what the brand is, but COTS), some were mounted with the regular way with the rubber fee downwards, and some were shooting up. The demonstrator was telling they got best lamplife out of the regular mounted units, worst if the projector was mounted up side down and somewhere in between from the ones shooting up towards a mirror at an 45 degree angle.
post #399 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Dennis, makes me have second thoughts about displaying in a show. Lot's of stuff could go wrong...
post #400 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Periscope mirror doesn't require the projector to shoot up, a periscope already has an second 45 degree angle mirror.

BTW, years ago I was at IBC at the Fraunhofer booth. It showed a 360 degree retro projection set-up using standard little LCD projectors (these always showed FX something markings on their silver housing over a number of years, no idea what the brand is, but COTS), some were mounted with the regular way with the rubber fee downwards, and some were shooting up. The demonstrator was telling they got best lamplife out of the regular mounted units, worst if the projector was mounted up side down and somewhere in between from the ones shooting up towards a mirror at an 45 degree angle.

I would have display devices create a drawer system with fresh supply of air, a good exhaust and noise abatement. the metal structure could be faux painted to conceal.

Here are some more normal versions of hush-boxes:

You know how miserable I was with the .8 gain supernova screen (One of the ISF's greatest mental farts) we had here at the lab, however this new 2.3 gain has 50 times the contrast and no apparent color shift and a 23 degree half angle to 60% gain that remains consistent throughout the rest of the completion to the 89 degrees of half angle.

So for the 46 degrees center view this is an amazing screen. Wish they could do a ceiling trap version for Daphne.

albeit only 60"(1.53m) x 144"(3.66m) the size limit.

I wonder if it can be done, with the intelligent lens system and all it could be very cool.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #401 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The lamp life issue wasn't due to an extra enclosure retaining heat as this was a fully open set-up. A pole in the middle kept up a metal supported cloth cillinder that was fed by a number of projectors from the inside in a 'regular retro'setup. And one tiny mirror in the middle was fed by an upshooting projector along the center pole to complete the circle (may have been two, it has been years sine I saw that demo).

A double mirror jig is a classic retroprojection set-up you are all to familliar with, so you are looking to use it on front projection?
post #402 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes but a much smaller single mirror attached to the projector base.
post #403 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That mirror was perhaps half a meter to a meter above the little datagrade LCD projector, maybe 10x10 centimeter, required a second look for me to even notice it.

Basically this is gonna be a classic ultrashort throw projector, just a more powerful one.
post #404 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Barco showed that in 1996 with their lightcannon lcd's too.
post #405 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Doubt that Barco's blending and warping software was as effective as Fraunhofers, though (as that was before they even acquired that company that made their original blending boards/cards). As that has been the real subject of its projections demos for years. Did Barco do a full 360 degrees cillinder retro projection back in the day, if so they never commercialized it.
post #406 of 712 Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No this was strictly a cross booth longshot fp shot.
post #407 of 712 Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

While Runco basks on their latest DCI accomplishments for the Bel-Air and Miami Markets we look for new markets with explosive growth potential.

A TRUE BREAKTHROUGH HAPPENED HERE AT THE lab. This solution places a Titan projector completely concealed within a 16" x 29" book case.

Let's see if Mr. Job Stability copies this too for next CEDIA.

Periscopic projection will work. One of the lamps cannot be on at all times since the arch is Vertical (which causes uneven wear)- this lamp will only be used for 3-D or Turbo Mode.

For normal watching the one single lamp with the sideways arc will still be covered by warranty. Now what remains to be designed is the housing with a panel that looks like Library Books.

This is a most exciting development that justifies all the other false starts this year with the server stuff, thank God that Kaleidescape will have a solution A LEGAL SOLUTION because these servers are for the birds.
LL
LL
LL
post #408 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It won't be long now said the monkey when they cut off his tail
post #409 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

It won't be long now said the monkey when they cut off his tail

Have you heard from DP about the software upgrade. I was going to call them today?
post #410 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Yes
post #411 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes

Yay! My glasses kit from DP arrives today. So good timing.
post #412 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

And if you have Directv 4 3D stations go live also, what 3G glasses did you end up purchasing?
post #413 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And if you have Directv 4 3D stations go live also, what 3G glasses did you end up purchasing?

I ordered the glasses kit from DP. From what I was told. It is Xpand glasses. But a special IR emitter. I have Directv. But looks like we are going to need a DVI DETECTIVE so we can use the EDID info from a Samsung or Panasonic tv.
post #414 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I have Directv. But looks like we are going to need a DVI DETECTIVE so we can use the EDID info from a Samsung or Panasonic tv.

Takes two minutes to grab , it works. I remind you to tip the CompUSA worker that let's you borrow the edid $20 bucks for his awesomeness...
post #415 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They are showing IMAX under the sea 3-D, a top 3 3-D all time title on ppv. Unfortunately it is only playable 24 hours.
post #416 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The software is working pretty well now after we had a few updates over the last couple of weeks!

Over here in the UK we were lucky enough that Sky gave us a firmware on a flash drive to update a clients STB to correct some issues with the Sky signal!

I would strongly suggest that you check out Key Digital's HDMI switching solutions which we have found to be working perfectly with 3D signals to the Titan. We even installed the 4x4 matrix in front of one unit to allow us to switch any input to any output depending on if we wanted it to go to the 2D or 3D input (enabling the use of a scaler for 2D content). They also have EDID cloning built right in.

Neil

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page
post #417 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Got my glass kit from DP. Both the glasses and the emitter are Xpand. I was told that the IR emitter was not but it is. The glasses are X101.

So based on the price DP is selling them at, I would recommend buying the Xpand Emitter from DP so you get the right one. But I would buy the glasses right off the Xpand website. DP price for glasses $250.00 for X101. Xpand price $110.00.

The IR emitter is working great. It works perfectly mount just above the projector lens and is reflecting off the screen. Covering the entire room without a problem.

I went ahead and order the HDMI Detective Plus from Gefen so I can store the EDID info from a Samsung or Panasonic 3DTV so I wont have a problem with DirecTV not recognizing my projector.

post #418 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We have been fine tuning a Titan Reference 700 3d this week.Unreal picture. Two focus and zoom presets are being used for 1.78 and 2.35 We noticed that the focus settings on the 2 presets drifted enough to be noticed after a few weeks. Anyone know if this is being addressed in the firmware upgrade?
I am also wondering about the cooling fan upgrade as well. I heard they would accept existing owners projectors for upgrades this summer.
Thanks
post #419 of 712 Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

We have been fine tuning a Titan Reference 700 3d this week.Unreal picture. Two focus and zoom presets are being used for 1.78 and 2.35 We noticed that the focus settings on the 2 presets drifted enough to be noticed after a few weeks. Anyone know if this is being addressed in the firmware upgrade?
I am also wondering about the cooling fan upgrade as well. I heard they would accept existing owners projectors for upgrades this summer.
Thanks

ddingle,

I had that problem on my regular Titan reference. I sent it back to DP and they had it for a week and found no problem. I got it back and the problem persisted. I figured there was just some little issue with it until I got my Titan Reference 3D and it started doing it. I determined it was a heat issue. My projector sits close to the back wall and was causing heat to build up. On the new Titan 3D, i went to the hardware store and bought some dryer duct. I attached it to the exhaust scoop on the projector and vented it with a cooling fan out of the room. It has completely solved that problem. The original Titan Ref was installed for about a year and i never could cure it, and as soon as i noticed it on the Titan 3D i vented the unit better and have had zero problems since.
post #420 of 712 Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I ordered the glasses kit from DP. From what I was told. It is Xpand glasses. But a special IR emitter. I have Directv. But looks like we are going to need a DVI DETECTIVE so we can use the EDID info from a Samsung or Panasonic tv.

I did not hear anything about the need for a DVI detective for EDID info, is this for sure?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page