post #571 of 712 Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

It is a 2.0 aspect ratio. 14' wide by 7' high.

Ive entertained a 2.0 ratio myself for the extra height as a compromise between the two ratios. While a purist would go full 235:1 you will find a few commercial theaters doing this.

Are you showing both 16x9 and 235:1 content in 2.0. Are you using the zoom function in the Lumagen for scope movies. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 712 Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Ive entertained a 2.0 ratio myself for the extra height as a compromise between the two ratios. While a purist would go full 235:1 you will find a few commercial theaters doing this.

Are you showing both 16x9 and 235:1 content in 2.0. Are you using the zoom function in the Lumagen for scope movies. Thanks!!

No I dont show anything in the 2.0 aspect. It is a 4way masking screen. So I get basically more of a CIA setup.

I end up with a 2.40 image thats 170 x 70 and a 16:9 image thats 151 x 85

So the 16:9 is taller but not as wide. And the scope is wider but not as tall. This way neither feels like a compromise.

I use the projector ILM lens to automatically zoom/focus the screen size. I still use my ISCO III lens for scope and use the anamorphic mode in the lumagen to vertically stretch for 2.40 content.

ccool96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #573 of 712 Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You can make both work pretty easily with one lumagen. That was how my setup has been until yesterday. I just have the output 1 of the lumagen feed the av receiver and then out of the receiver to the input 3 on the Titan. The output 2 on the lumagen feeds the input 8 main.

All my sources use the input 3 and the only source that requires me to switch to input 8 is the bluray. And if you leave your 3d setting under professional mode set for 720p you can use the consumer mode for all the rest.

Pretty easy control at that point. With my automation system only switching the Titan to input 8 for bluray only and then having 3 3D commands. 3D off. 3D consumer for everything but ESPN. And 3D professional for ESPN.

Might want to give that a shot.

We have a 1.3 NAD M15HD processor getting HD audio from output 2 of the Lumagen. So Bluray only for now. No big deal we will be adding the additional Lumagens fairly shortly and we will only need input 8 in Dual Pipe mode.
I installed the new bulbs yesterday.Way brighter! Nice improvement on 3D. I do notice the image is slightly smaller on 3D Blurays. I assume that is because the Lumagen's scaling is bypassed for 3D.
The results with 3D are exciting enough to make it worth while to go to all this trouble and expense. Our client is loving it!
post #574 of 712 Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

We have a 1.3 NAD M15HD processor getting HD audio from output 2 of the Lumagen. So Bluray only for now. No big deal we will be adding the additional Lumagens fairly shortly and we will only need input 8 in Dual Pipe mode.
I installed the new bulbs yesterday.Way brighter! Nice improvement on 3D. I do notice the image is slightly smaller on 3D Blurays. I assume that is because the Lumagen's scaling is bypassed for 3D.
The results with 3D are exciting enough to make it worth while to go to all this trouble and expense. Our client is loving it!

Glad your clients love it. I totally understand why. I love mine.

And the reduced image size for blurays Doeant have anything to do with lumagen. The projector actually slightly reduces the image. I think by 2% because of triple flash and not exceeding what the projector is capable of. 120hz is full size. But anytime the projector gets a 24hz 3D signal it will triple flash it to 144 hz like in digital cinema. But it needed to slightly reduce the image so not to exceed the bandwidth capability.

I'm glad you got the new bulbs installed. I know it looks great. What percentage are you running them. Are using both for 2D and 3D material ?

ccool96

post #575 of 712 Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad your clients love it. I totally understand why. I love mine.

And the reduced image size for blurays Doeant have anything to do with lumagen. The projector actually slightly reduces the image. I think by 2% because of triple flash and not exceeding what the projector is capable of. 120hz is full size. But anytime the projector gets a 24hz 3D signal it will triple flash it to 144 hz like in digital cinema. But it needed to slightly reduce the image so not to exceed the bandwidth capability.

I'm glad you got the new bulbs installed. I know it looks great. What percentage are you running them. Are using both for 2D and 3D material ?

Thanks for insight on the smaller image! It is funny how one of the most expensive 3D projectors has bandwidth limitations I have the new bulbs running at 100 percent right now. I am going back tomorrow.I suspect 80 percent with both bulbs should be fine. Brad really likes the bright picture however. How do you set your bulbs?
post #576 of 712 Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for insight on the smaller image! It is funny how one of the most expensive 3D projectors has bandwidth limitations I have the new bulbs running at 100 percent right now. I am going back tomorrow.I suspect 80 percent with both bulbs should be fine. Brad really likes the bright picture however. How do you set your bulbs?

I run both lamps at 85%. The lowest available lamp setting for 2D. And then bump up to 100% for both lamps for 3D.

I actually wish I had more brightness still for 3D. I have talked to DPI about possibly changing an aperture to allow more light without sacrificing to much contrast.

I don't want to adversely affect my 2D image so it's kind of a delicate balance.

ccool96

post #577 of 712 Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I run both lamps at 85%. The lowest available lamp setting for 2D. And then bump up to 100% for both lamps for 3D.

I actually wish I had more brightness still for 3D. I have talked to DPI about possibly changing an aperture to allow more light without sacrificing to much contrast.

I don't want to adversely affect my 2D image so it's kind of a delicate balance.

I did a cursory calibration before I left yesterday. I decided to leave the bulbs at 100 percent. I have learned my lesson. We are going to have back up bulbs on site shortly. I haven't researched the "Colormax" and other settings added with the recent 3D upgrade. What setting are you using? Currently I am using "Global" and then using "trim" under this setting to start the gray scale and then fine tuning with the Lumagen. Looks really good! I am considering a new color analyzer in the near future. I have an recently certified Eye One pro.
post #578 of 712 Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did a cursory calibration before I left yesterday. I decided to leave the bulbs at 100 percent. I have learned my lesson. We are going to have back up bulbs on site shortly. I haven't researched the "Colormax" and other settings added with the recent 3D upgrade. What setting are you using? Currently I am using "Global" and then using "trim" under this setting to start the gray scale and then fine tuning with the Lumagen. Looks really good! I am considering a new color analyzer in the near future. I have an recently certified Eye One pro.

Im not sure how the calibration is setup, I had someone else do that. I will look and let you know.

After a few different firmware version, Patrick finally got the sync issue resolved with the dual setup. So far this setup is working great. And PS3 games look amazing! Full 1080P/60 for the left eye and the right eye. So the projector is receiving 1080P/120 thru both the "Main DVI" and "Sub DVI" of input 8.

One concern was maintaining the ability to send not only 1080P/60 to INPUT 8 using the "Dual Pipe" method but also 1080P/24 since that is required for triple flash. I can confirm that both formats do work with the "Dual Pipe" method. The only frustrating part is under the "3D Professional" setting which is requred for the "Dual Pipe" method you have to change the shutter rate from 1x for 1080p/60 to 3x for 1080p/24. I was hoping that using this setup would eliminate the need for changing any settings besides turing 3D on and off. But that will just have to be setup as options in the control system.

Have yet to try Half-Res 3D from DirecTV but will get that changed over tonight.

ccool96

post #579 of 712 Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have just watched Resident Evil 3D, and noticed a very wierd occurence, the facial and skin tones of the actors/actresses have a blueish tint with the glasses on (crystal Eyes 4) when I remove the glasses the Blue tint is gone. From what I can tell this occurs when light reflects off of their skin. I am wondering if this is attributable to the glasses?

Attached is picture taken through glasses
LL
post #580 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I have just watched Resident Evil 3D, and noticed a very wierd occurence, the facial and skin tones of the actors/actresses have a blueish tint with the glasses on (crystal Eyes 4) when I remove the glasses the Blue tint is gone. From what I can tell this occurs when light reflects off of their skin. I am wondering if this is attributable to the glasses?

Attached is picture taken through glasses

If you only see it through the glasses your shutter timing may not be right for the glasses you are using. When playing with the glasses flash timing I can get strange color/pattern effects in certain gradients when adjusting the timing above or below the optimal setting for the type of glasses Im using, be it CE4 or X101. Ive heard CE4s are more sensitive to this when running triple flash stereo.
post #581 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
the only 3d pr. that can do triple flash at full 1920 x 1080 or 2048x1080 at 144hz
is a cinema dlp pr. so far i know.

but may this have change?
post #582 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilm55 View Post

If you only see it through the glasses your shutter timing may not be right for the glasses you are using. When playing with the glasses flash timing I can get strange color/pattern effects in certain gradients when adjusting the timing above or below the optimal setting for the type of glasses Im using, be it CE4 or X101. Ive heard CE4s are more sensitive to this when running triple flash stereo.

Thank you, what sync timing did you find optimal for the CE4 glasses?
post #583 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

the only 3d pr. that can do triple flash at full 1920 x 1080 or 2048x1080 at 144hz

Yes the Titan was upgraded to do triple flash for 1080p/24 3d to 144hz. It was upgraded for this feature early last year.

ccool96

post #584 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Wofgang:

No the Titan 3D was upgraded to frame packed triple flash at 1920 x 2205 @ 24
post #585 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you, what sync timing did you find optimal for the CE4 glasses?

If they are super sensitive I guess you could spend days trying each setting. I am using 1508us sync delay. I just tried big jumps in the number with each attempt. Not each individual step available. It seem to improve the most at where I'm at. But maybe if I continue to try each option there will be a better one. Quite a time consuming process

ccool96

post #586 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Chris:

That was Dark time setting of 1508, there is also a sync timing for the glasses, I am curious as to what efilm55 found to be the optimum settings for CE4 glasses, will save us a lot of time
post #587 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
why not just ask DPI?

I don't have the timings to hand but I know they have done a lot of work to identify the best settings.

Neil Davidson - Visit my
post #588 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

why not just ask DPI?

I don't have the timings to hand but I know they have done a lot of work to identify the best settings.

I did exactly that and they told me to play with the settings to see if that helped. If they have optimum settings they certainly didn't share them with me
post #589 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Chris:

That was Dark time setting of 1508, there is also a sync timing for the glasses, I am curious as to what efilm55 found to be the optimum settings for CE4 glasses, will save us a lot of time

I actually never found settings for the CE4 I was happy with. I did the good ol' trial and error method and just never found anything that completely eliminated that color affect in certain gradients (not sure of its technical name). I think i stopped testing when fine tuning kept bringing me to about 1200us dark time and and I believe 200us (D-Cine pr in a medium sized screening room). Combinations of faster and slower settings made the subtle color "contamiation" in gradients much worse. I would in fact appreciate any recommendations from anyone else on better settings or methods of finding them. Since i had no immediate need to implement them I didn't go any further into troubleshooting or doing the math that would probably explain things some more. I recently resubmitted an inquiry about this to ReaD but have yet to hear back.

btw, this was at 6:2 frame rate (triflash)
post #590 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

why not just ask DPI?

It would be nice to have best settings from DPI, adjusting by end user is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.....
post #591 of 712 Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:

It would be nice to have best settings from DPI, adjusting by end user is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.....

Its nice when you can get settings. In my admittedly limited experience this is what I usually run into when looking for recommended timing settings,

Ask the 3D system vendor for settings... they say to ask the projector maker... ask the projector maker...... they say ask the 3D system vendor.....

Barco was the one projector maker that gladly forwarded a package with settings files that covered most types of 3D systems on the market. Hopefully DPI will be one of the good ones as well.
post #592 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes the Titan was upgraded to do triple flash for 1080p/24 3d to 144hz. It was upgraded for this feature early last year.
very nice to hear.
post #593 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Wofgang:

Hi Lon

i am happy for you that you can see 3D BDs without the 3:2 pulldown bug!

as i not follow this thread or other threads at avs because of some private
sitoation did you like the picture and you are happy with it?

i got just some hours ago a new batch from the CE4 shutter glasses.
lets see if they still have this "front wafe destorion but" that i hate.
i hear they change the manufacturer and that may helps.

best wolfgang
post #594 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Wofgang:

are you shure that this upgrade can show full 1920x1080 in triple flash?
i hear from someone that told me that this upgrade will internaly
downsample the 1920x1080 as it not can handle it.
the guy say that as the electronic this pr. have can only deal with
arround 1600x 1080 and therefore inside the pr. they have to do it
otherwise it cant workl with 24p in triple flash.

you may can see it in some fine text at avatar when he use his video recording.
there are small letters down left and if you compare in 2d the very litte letters
to 3d and you see no any difference that it seams to be fine.

seams that the new CE4 shutter still have this bug may even worse that the one i have already.
sad.
post #595 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Image is a tad smaller, according to ccool in one of the threads, last week. Issue was blamed on bandwidth limit.
post #596 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Image is a tad smaller, according to ccool in one of the threads, last week.

I observed that as well. A small bar around the whole image on Imax "Spacestation 3D" for example.
post #597 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Lon

i am happy for you that you can see 3D BDs without the 3:2 pulldown bug!

as i not follow this thread or other threads at avs because of some private
sitoation did you like the picture and you are happy with it?

i got just some hours ago a new batch from the CE4 shutter glasses.
lets see if they still have this "front wafe destorion but" that i hate.
i hear they change the manufacturer and that may helps.

best wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang:

I love the image of my Titan and couldn't be happier with 2D. 3D issues are definately related to glasses dark timing and sync, I am extremely happy with the 3D, and once I get it optimized to the glasses it will be even better. I think Chris Cooley go it to about 95% with his tweaking, which he so kindly shared wuth me.

So I am really really happy with it
post #598 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Image is a tad smaller, according to ccool in one of the threads, last week. Issue was blamed on bandwidth limit.

Yes. I was told by DPI that the image is slightly reduced so not to exceed the bandwidth of what the projector can do at 144hz. Triple flash was added as an upgrade. But the reduction is really small. On my 14' wide scope screen there is probably a 1" to 2" border all the way around. This can be fixed by using ILM to zoom out the lens slightly.

ccool96

post #599 of 712 Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Take care Wolfgang on your family situation, hope your health is holding up.
post #600 of 712 Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

hi
can someone summary the measured lumens and contrast (ansi and on off) nrs of the TITAN and the SIM2 LUMIS ?

thanks
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page