Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Congrats C
BTW the glasses to get:

Reald Crystal Eyes 4.

Maybe DPI can sell em to ya.

At ISE I was looking at the (back/inside) of these glasses and the reflections in these straight and unshielded glasses in every active/sequential 3D demo I saw. Even in the Panasonic Plasma batcave, I had to wrap my hands round the glasses to shield them from reflections.

The poorly performing passive dual projectors demo's I saw also had straight and open glasses, therefor the demonstrated the same issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 712 Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Sony has wrap around wireless shutter glasses in the works.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #213 of 712 Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Good to hear that, I had suggested that aswell. Specially since the return to fashion of the full size sunglasses over the past few years, having a larger frame would be welcomed as well, no longer looking underneath the glasses or at the rim. Lowering the glasses to center them in front of my eyes involved moving them forward increasing reflections and obstructed view by the glasses.
post #214 of 712 Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I didn`t say the lenses would be wrap around, just the frames to block out light entering from the sides. Its hard to tell exactly from the CES pictures but google Sony wrap around shutter glasses.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #215 of 712 Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=CINERAMAX;18157632]Congrats C

If you want 3-D I would want 6k lumens, you will have to divide that by 4.5 to get the actual once wearing glasses.

peter can you explain where the 4.5 came from.. thanks the Titan was real bright showing 3D at Cedia and I think that was an 18Ft. screen
post #216 of 712 Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I saw Peter's Barco at Cedia, and was completely blown away! No doubt it was the best image I have ever seen. I can say what blew me away was the depth of the image. There were a few scenes, especially one animated one, that really looked 3D. The DP booth also was really incredible.

I have talked to Peter a few times about the Barco. I am just a little worried that its a little over my head. I like that fact I can program and control the DP projector, make changes, and basically maitain it myself.

Plus the Barco looks significantly larger than the DP. I dont believe it would fit in my equipment room because the Titan takes up just about all the depth available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Great Theater, I happened to catch your thread yesterday when I say your DPI projector for sale on Videogon.

If I had the room behind the theater like you have I would strongly consider a Barco, as Peter says you can get more light then you know what to do with, adjustable lamps, contrast modified, 3D ready, DCI content, 4K upgradeable.

Its really a no brainer for you

post #217 of 712 Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

I spoke to Digital Projection today and I was told that the Titan Ref 3D is capable of producing 4k to 8k lumens without any effect to contrast. There is not any internal changes to the unit. It is adjustable from the Lamp control setting. I think I need to clarify that because the sales rep told me that the customization was done at the factory. So now im not quite sure???

So does that mean running in single lamp mode it will produce 4K at max wattage and 8K at max wattage when running both lamps??

I too am wondering exactly what the difference is between the Titan Ref 3D and the Ultra Contrast Dual Lamp 3D?
post #218 of 712 Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any companies producing prescription 3D glasses now or in the near future? I hate wearing glasses under the 3D ones at the theaters. I figure that wearing them under shutter glasses will only be worse.

Maybe I will have to reconsider contacts but I never could get use to touching my eyeball. Now that I am 31 maybe I should reconsider LASIK.

I had an evaluation for LASIK when i was about 25 but they didnt want to do it because they said my eyes were still changing. Anyone had it done and recommend it or recommend against it?
post #219 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
[quote=taker;18163787]
Quote:

Congrats C

If you want 3-D I would want 6k lumens, you will have to divide that by 4.5 to get the actual once wearing glasses.

peter can you explain where the 4.5 came from.. thanks the Titan was real bright showing 3D at Cedia and I think that was an 18Ft. screen

Taker,

I was being generous, the real number for cinema is divide by 5, 20%.

Hi C, Yes you did like the Barco at Cedia I remember. The Titan is an excellent projector that fits in a normal home, the d-cine don't. The Image of the d-cine is quite better though, no offense to DPI though.

Comparing footprints, the Barco is the same width, from a legs spacing standpoint, as the rear titan legs hook into the Barco dp-1200-2000 projector pedestal to the tee. The Titan with the anamorphic lens is quite longer than the Barco though. Without the lens the Titan is shorter. The Barco is about two titans stacked on top of one another.

I NEVER EVER think that the Barco is too big, I see it as inadequate planning by the home cinema projection companies D/S/R in not planning the properly sized chassis to deliver the type of performance needed for 3-D and the upcoming short throw distance 4-K.

That being said the new 1.2/1.345" chip 2k4 3-D Barcos with 1,600 to 7,500 lamp, the Kayushas are decidedly humongous.
post #220 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

Are there any companies producing prescription 3D glasses now or in the near future? I hate wearing glasses under the 3D ones at the theaters. I figure that wearing them under shutter glasses will only be worse.

Maybe I will have to reconsider contacts but I never could get use to touching my eyeball. Now that I am 31 maybe I should reconsider LASIK.

I had an evaluation for LASIK when i was about 25 but they didnt want to do it because they said my eyes were still changing. Anyone had it done and recommend it or recommend against it?

First you will see prescription glasses coming to the polarized 3-D Market (out soon), you should contact them and make them aware that Reald D also makes shutter glasses the Ce4 , that does sound more complicated but probably highly profitable.
post #221 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I spoke to Digital Projection today and I was told that the Titan Ref 3D is capable of producing 4k to 8k lumens without any effect to contrast. There is not any internal changes to the unit. It is adjustable from the Lamp control setting. I think I need to clarify that because the sales rep told me that the customization was done at the factory. So now im not quite sure???

So does that mean running in single lamp mode it will produce 4K at max wattage and 8K at max wattage when running both lamps??

I too am wondering exactly what the difference is between the Titan Ref 3D and the Ultra Contrast Dual Lamp 3D?

First question I would ask is what is the contrast ratio? It may be that the contrast ratio is only 2000:1 and is unaffected by running 1 lamp or 2 lamps. I just can't see getting 5500:1 and 8000 lumens
post #222 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I saw Peter's Barco at Cedia, and was completely blown away! No doubt it was the best image I have ever seen. I can say what blew me away was the depth of the image. There were a few scenes, especially one animated one, that really looked 3D. The DP booth also was really incredible.

I have talked to Peter a few times about the Barco. I am just a little worried that its a little over my head. I like that fact I can program and control the DP projector, make changes, and basically maitain it myself.

Plus the Barco looks significantly larger than the DP. I dont believe it would fit in my equipment room because the Titan takes up just about all the depth available.

I would sit tight for next generation ( Cedia 2010 ) that will do 1080p 24. The current DP is limited to 60fps and is better suited for gaming. There will be plenty to choose from, your head will be spinning
post #223 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Peter,

Maybe my mind isnt remebering things as they were. I just remember looking at the Barco projector in awe, and thinking DAMN that is big!

I didnt realize that it is shorter than the Titan with the Isco lens??

I was really thinking it was much larger.

And yes, looking back, I should have left more room in the equipment room. The equipment room is 36" deep. But i framed out a hole on both sides of the wall for the Titan. So it gave me an extra 6" of depth.

If you had to give a minimum depth of an equipment room for the Barco what would you suggest?

[quote=CINERAMAX;18171678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taker View Post

Hi C, Yes you did like the Barco at Cedia I remember. The Titan is an excellent projector that fits in a normal home, the d-cine don't. The Image of the d-cine is quite better though, no offense to DPI though.

Comparing footprints, the Barco is the same width, from a legs spacing standpoint, as the rear titan legs hook into the Barco dp-1200-2000 projector pedestal to the tee. The Titan with the anamorphic lens is quite longer than the Barco though. Without the lens the Titan is shorter. The Barco is about two titans stacked on top of one another.

I NEVER EVER think that the Barco is too big, I see it as inadequate planning by the home cinema projection companies D/S/R in not planning the properly sized chassis to deliver the type of performance needed for 3-D and the upcoming short throw distance 4-K.

That being said the new 1.2/1.345" chip 2k4 3-D Barcos with 1,600 to 7,500 lamp, the Kayushas are decidedly humongous.

post #224 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

First question I would ask is what is the contrast ratio? It may be that the contrast ratio is only 2000:1 and is unaffected by running 1 lamp or 2 lamps. I just can't see getting 5500:1 and 8000 lumens

I asked and he said it was around the 5000:1 mark. I will confirm that i understood him correctly.

Do you have any contrast/lumen numbers since you got your replecement unit.
post #225 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm on my iPhone, but 44inches with lens, 41 with lens sticking out.

Yes those Kathys are gargantuan.
post #226 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I asked and he said it was around the 5000:1 mark. I will confirm that i understood him correctly.

Do you have any contrast/lumen numbers since you got your replecement unit.

No we didn't check that, the install took longer than expected and we ran out of time.
post #227 of 712 Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Peter,
If you had to give a minimum depth of an equipment room for the Barco what would you suggest?

Cool96, back, 2 x side and top access is needed for service and adjustments. Exhaust is no problem, the outlet is on top already. In my opinion a technician should be able to walk around = additional 2 ft. By the way, you received a wise recommendation already: Wait!

Lasik is no problem as long as you fulfill the specs It's very important that you get a state of the art evaluation ie the number and quality of the cells behind the cornea. In my case they missed to do that, which caused serious problems.

You bested Peter's architects, beautiful theater!
post #228 of 712 Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Indeed beautiful but bested my architects?

Maybe my past architects....

The new ones from London are "brilliant".

See here a quick first pass.

LL
LL
LL
post #229 of 712 Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This rendering above is prior to involvement from Munro Acoustics which is to recommend treatments within the motif.

The Architect and acoustician are actually 20 minutes away in downtown London.

Norman if you rotate the projector to do the electrical work which is at setup time, there is no real need to be able to dance flamenco behind the Barco.

Both sides absolutely but as far as I am concerned as long as you can rotate the projector a bit for that setup, (or in the unlikely case of Power Supply problems) all the series 1 Barco needs is side access. Speaking on less than ideal shoehorning circumstances.

The Katyusha is going on a lift / hush-box, I am making it able to hold 600 lbs. in case I slip from the ladder and are left hanging for dear life.

LL
LL
post #230 of 712 Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Norman if you rotate the projector to do the electrical work which is at setup time, there is no real need to be able to dance flamenco behind the Barco.

[[/IMG]

Good idea, better rotate the Barco before we rotate ourselfs...
post #231 of 712 Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do you take advantage of the 5 screen channels? I thought SDDS was only available for the theatrical releases of a movie?
post #232 of 712 Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tact audio has several algorithms for this, one is the creation of steered left center and right center, just like the very first Meridian 861 promised with their sticker set.

The more interesting approach is based on the principles of ambisonics where the channels cease to exist and perform in array mode. That I am dying to try out here.

In addition the system plays back any 12 of the new Dolby 16 channel cinema system playing discrete channels out of the projector that is fitted with an IMB board.

post #233 of 712 Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Great, thanks for the info.
post #234 of 712 Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Another question, what Tact Audio product has this SDDS-like capability?
post #235 of 712 Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The TCS MK III. In the plain Vanilla (15k), and DCI Versions (28k).
post #236 of 712 Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

I think the Titan Reference 1080P30 and 40 are using Xenon lamps and are 260 lbs, they look very similar to the Barco units. The Titan Reference 1080P uses 350W dual UHP lamps compared to the Titan 1080P Dual Ultra Contrast which uses 300W dual UHP lamps.
post #237 of 712 Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So 300 vs. 350W lamps is the major difference between those projectors- I'd wondered what it was. Having just completed the Titan Reference install for a fellow forum member, I can see what you've been talking about with picture quality. The image was very good OOTB, but once I started the tweaking via the scaler- HOLY SH&*!!! it's a truly stunning image. Now the debate is whether to keep the current screen size (123") or go big (6'x12' 2.0) the first row is only about 11-12' from the screen right now and if we go bigger we're talking right at 1.0 > screen width for the first row.

How's that for some needed input: if it were your room and you had Alexandrias or Rockport Hyperions, ir big Dunlavys would you: 1.) hide them behind an enormous screen (AT of course) or 2.) show them off and keep the smaller screen size (image like a 10' plasma)???

feedback?

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #238 of 712 Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It depends on the size of the room , with adequate space behind go for a giant AT screen.
post #239 of 712 Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

I am at around 16' for 14' 2.35 screen and love the emersion affect. The 12' 1.78 is sweet too....
post #240 of 712 Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, but what about that "visual" portion to the audio system: big-ass speakers make big-ass sound, but big sound from invisible speakers doesn't seem as big- or as expensive. From a purely marketing standpoint, if I'm trying to promote the audio and video portions for this package equally- yet present to you an enormous image with invisible speakers; that's what you focus on: the video, and even if we're talking 200k worth of audio, if you don't see it it doesn't seem to be as highly valued.

Like buying anything that is high-dollar; customers are more likely to spend on something they can see, hear, touch, etc.

This is where my reasoning is at, and why I'm confused as to which path to take for this particular system.

Dan

I want the client to feel that they have received the same value in both audio and video reproduction- and we're trying to go no-holds-barred here.

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page