McIntosh MX150 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I awaiting delivery on a MX150, MR88, and MC205 to go with the MC303 I brought in a few weeks ago. I auditioned a MX150 in September and decided against it as I was not impressed with Room Perfect. However, after discussing it with my dealer and being assured it will meet my approval I decided to try it again with the other units as support. The next few weeks should be interesting.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The problem with "auditioning" RoomPerfect (or any other room EQ) is that one has to rely on the assumption that the person who set it up did it properly and as carefully as you would in your own system/home.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I do not believe that the MX150 is not upgradeable but it sure ain't as easily upgradeable as the Denon and some others.

Kal -- while I understand some of the reasoning by McIntosh engineers about them not using a card cage/backplane design, it would seem to me that there still could be some way to engineer modules for audio and video in a manner that anticipated some changes that were coming (such as HDMI 1.4) which could later be incorporated by sending the piece back to Mc Labs for modification at the owner's expense. That would have to be less expensive for the owner than the beating taken by their owners for depreciation due to obsolescence that some pre-pros exhibit. Some companies like Parasound just gave up their efforts at building new pre-pros. Obviously, no piece can be made totally future-proof -- for example, the cost to retrofit the internals as well as the front of the MX136 for lossless audio would have been prohibitive. OTOH, Theta has (or had) a tremendous trade-up program for their latest pre.

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

I awaiting delivery on a MX150, MR88, and MC205 to go with the MC303 I brought in a few weeks ago. I auditioned a MX150 in September and decided against it as I was not impressed with Room Perfect. However, after discussing it with my dealer and being assured it will meet my approval I decided to try it again with the other units as support. The next few weeks should be interesting.

Were I a decade or two younger, I would have been more interested in a pre with the new Audyssey MultEX XT32 and would have probably have messed with new calibrations, acoustic arrangements, furniture being moved, speakers being moved an inch that way or this way, etc. on a weekly basis, always seeking the slight improvement that my straining ears could perceive and would have had a divorce as a result -- AND would have spent more time tweaking the system than enjoying its results to my eyes and ears.

BUT -- at my tender age, I want all of my electronics to be as push-button and plug and play easy as possible so that I can just sit back and enjoy the audio and video results (as long as that audio and video is great to my ears and eyes) -- Room Perfect permits that. It IS easy to run it and it is possible to re-run it and save previous trials, but I found it to be good enough that if I used the suggestions in a white paper by McIntosh (by Ron C. or Chuck H. -- I forget which) -- it gave outstanding results the first time and a couple of subsequent trials in which I pointed the microphone in slightly different angles or directions did not improve the sound -- just made it a little different. Should we move the furniture or add furniture, etc., then I would re-run Room Perfect.

I would hope that any responsible Mc dealer would, IF they moved speakers, swapped out speakers, changed the seating or acoustic panels, etc., that they would have re-run Room Perfect before a potential new purchaser has a chance to audition the MX150.

Good luck,

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

Kal -- while I understand some of the reasoning by McIntosh engineers about them not using a card cage/backplane design, it would seem to me that there still could be some way to engineer modules for audio and video in a manner that anticipated some changes that were coming (such as HDMI 1.4) which could later be incorporated by sending the piece back to Mc Labs for modification at the owner's expense. That would have to be less expensive for the owner than the beating taken by their owners for depreciation due to obsolescence that some pre-pros exhibit.

What you describe is similar to what Denon has announced for their top prepro.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Were I a decade or two younger, I would have been more interested in a pre with the new Audyssey MultEX XT32 and would have probably have messed with new calibrations, acoustic arrangements, furniture being moved, speakers being moved an inch that way or this way, etc. on a weekly basis, always seeking the slight improvement that my straining ears could perceive and would have had a divorce as a result -- AND would have spent more time tweaking the system than enjoying its results to my eyes and ears.

BUT -- at my tender age, I want all of my electronics to be as push-button and plug and play easy as possible so that I can just sit back and enjoy the audio and video results (as long as that audio and video is great to my ears and eyes) -- Room Perfect permits that. It IS easy to run it and it is possible to re-run it and save previous trials, but I found it to be good enough that if I used the suggestions in a white paper by McIntosh (by Ron C. or Chuck H. -- I forget which) -- it gave outstanding results the first time and a couple of subsequent trials in which I pointed the microphone in slightly different angles or directions did not improve the sound -- just made it a little different. Should we move the furniture or add furniture, etc., then I would re-run Room Perfect.

I would hope that any responsible Mc dealer would, IF they moved speakers, swapped out speakers, changed the seating or acoustic panels, etc., that they would have re-run Room Perfect before a potential new purchaser has a chance to audition the MX150.

Good luck,

MikeSp

The MX150 audition was in my home and, with the remote help of the McIntosh support and engineering people, I did the calibration. I ran a total of 5 separate calibration sweeps achieving, at the best, 97% room knowledge. I was never pleased with the results. Hopefully with some in-room help, it will meet my approval this time.

John
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 11
I need some help getting room pefect to work. Here's my problem:

Just after Room Perfect finishes reading the first focal position it says the following error: "Measuring error - No Signal". I tried for over two hours to get it to work, unplugging the microphone over and over making sure there wasn't any noise in the room and changing the microphone position.

Anyone has an idea off what might be the problem. Do I have a corrupt software? Without room perfect the room has an excessive amount of base, even with the speakers set to small.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post

Just after Room Perfect finishes reading the first focal position it says the following error: "Measuring error - No Signal". I tried for over two hours to get it to work, unplugging the microphone over and over making sure there wasn't any noise in the room and changing the microphone position.

Anyone has an idea off what might be the problem. Do I have a corrupt software? Without room perfect the room has an excessive amount of base, even with the speakers set to small.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW -- my guess is a bad microphone -- I had a similar issue the first time I tried to run Room Perfect and it turned out to be the microphone (swapped one with my dealer and issue was solved). As unlikely as it is, a bad mic cable could also happen.

See if you dealer will trade you a microphone, at least to determine if that is the issue and either he or you could call Chuck Hinton at Mc and get them to replace it IF that is the issue.

Otherwise, talk to you dealer or Chuck Hinton at Mc -- always starting with the dealer.

Good luck,

MikeSp

Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue, make sure you have the correct speakers hooked up and correctly chosen in the menu. room perfect does not pick that up, you have to manually tell it everything correctly or it will give you an error.

most room corrections will tell you for example your out of phase or your rears arent hooked up etc...

the base thing happened with the marantz 7005 and the mx 150

good luck, bob
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Ran into the same issue and low and behold i had the Surround Backs configured when they shouldn't have been. Simply change setting to "-" and Room Perfect went smoothly.

See Profile
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks, that fixed it.

What's everyone room perfect preference? For me, the Global Position sounds much better; actually like a high end processor. With the first focal position sounds awful.

I also found that the flat voicing is the better choice for both movies and music. I also like it better when there's no additional processing over True HD and DTS-HD tracks.

I got room perfect up to 99% of room knowledge and only 69% of room correction? Who got it higher?

Best,
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, that fixed it.

What's everyone room perfect preference? For me, the Global Position sounds much better; actually like a high end processor. With the first focal position sounds awful.

I also found that the flat voicing is the better choice for both movies and music. I also like it better when there's no additional processing over True HD and DTS-HD tracks.

I got room perfect up to 99% of room knowledge and only 69% of room correction? Who got it higher?

Best,

"only" 69% of room correction Mine was slightly worse (higher) -- you and I appear to need some acoustic panels appropriately applied

MikeSp

Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

The MX150 audition was in my home and, with the remote help of the McIntosh support and engineering people, I did the calibration. I ran a total of 5 separate calibration sweeps achieving, at the best, 97% room knowledge. I was never pleased with the results. Hopefully with some in-room help, it will meet my approval this time.

How would you characterize the displeasing aspects of the sound?

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
How would you characterize the displeasing aspects of the sound?
Bass lacked punch and the middle/upper middle was overly bright.

John
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

"only" 69% of room correction Mine was slightly worse (higher) -- you and I appear to need some acoustic panels appropriately applied

MikeSp

My room was designed by Rives audio with bass traps, BAD panels from RPG, carpet, the whole nine yards. I'm coming from a Krell S-1200 and S-1500 amp to the MX150 and MC205 amp. I truly prefer the sound of my new Mcintosh.

I don't know why room perfect only got 69% of room correction.

More positions maybe. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I can't seem to put a nail on this one to resolve and i would like to avoid purchasing a new $500 Bell Sat receiver as there are no refunds on that.

Has any Canadians with the MX150 and either the Bell 9242/9241 HD PVR's experiencing a loud popping noise when changing, or even pausing, channels??

I seem to be getting this frequently, especially when going from any of the Galaxy audio channels (915-920) which are in PCM Stereo to any Dolby digital channel. Or sometimes pausing a channel and continuing playback. I'm at the point where i'm just fed up and need confirmation from others that it is with the Sat Receiver.

I am worried my tweeters are going to get blown one day if the volume is louder than usual!!!

Any help is appreciated.

See Profile
Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM

I currently am running a (non HDMI) McIntosh MX-132 pre/pro, with all my source components audio outputs via analog multichannel and analog stereo. I listen to 2.1 channels, as well as a lot of multichannel music, mostly DVD-A, some Bluray and a handful of SACD titles. Also 5.1 movie watching is in there as well.

My source components are; an Oppo 83se, a Tosh A-35 HD-DVD, a McIntosh MVP851 DVD-A/V, a McIntosh MLD 7020 laser disk player( yep still have use one of these), an old pioneer CTF-900 tape deck, as well as an B&O turntable.

I use a Zektor 7.1 multichannel analog audio/HDMI audio video switcher for switching analog audio to the pre/pro multichannel inputs, switching the HDMI Hi Def video, and receive 1080p video signal from a DVDO HD+ scaler/switcher, all out to a 1080p projector.

Between the pre/pro and the amps (main=McIntosh MC352, Surrounds=Belles400, and center=Adcom GFA555II), is an Outlaw ICBM bass management unit with crossover settings from 40Hz to120Hz ( in 20Hz increments) for 6 channels. All directed to a Velodyne DD-18 sub. (I do use the sub to augment the <40Hz to my mains even for 2.1 listening). The main/front speakers are OHM Walsh 4's, the center is a Bohlender-Greabener 220 Planer-Hybrid, and the surrounds are a pair of bookshelf "Precise" speakers on stands at ear height.

I have all the components located in a cabinet with an external IR receiver connected to the MX-132. I have IR emitters to all the source components which the MX-132 sends the signals too.

I have been pleased with the sound quality and functionality from this system thus far, but I am looking to modernize as well as eliminate cabling and switching components, and if the result gives me better sound that's an extra bonus.
I have been following this thread for some time, as well as the Classe SSP-800 thread, and the Anthem D2v thread. The D2v seems to have all the necessary audio/video processing, in one box. The MX-150 and the Classe SSP-800 trans-code the video in, to be output though HDMI at the same res. So I would still need a video scaling device, which is not a problem.

One of my main requirements are; that I want the crossover/bass management function be able to be applied to the analog 2 channel, as well as the analog multichannel, input section of the pre/pro mainly for my DVD-A player (thereby eliminating the ICBM).

Since there is no McIntosh dealer nearby for a demo, I am just trying to get some additional opinions mainly regarding the audio section and it's capability in handling the newer hi res codec's, as well as the previously stated bass management concern. I have really liked the McIntosh sound, build quality and reliability, but I am need of more reassurance before dishing out that kind of money.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post

One of my main requirements are; that I want the crossover/bass management function be able to be applied to the analog 2 channel, as well as the analog multichannel, input section of the pre/pro mainly for my DVD-A player (thereby eliminating the ICBM).

The MX-150 will re-digitize all incoming analog signal to 24/192, so no problems for your concern.

The mx-150 is very good for HT, a little less for music. It is the first of the mx series that doesnt have pure analog passthru.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post
The MX-150 will re-digitize all incoming analog signal to 24/192, so no problems for your concern.

The mx-150 is very good for HT, a little less for music. It is the first of the mx series that doesnt have pure analog passthru.
Thanks for your response.
If you've owned any earlier MX pre/pro's; how does the MX-150 measure up for
music? I certainly don't want to lose any fidelity.
Dave

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

(Arthur C. Clarke)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response.
If you've owned any earlier MX pre/pro's; how does the MX-150 measure up for
music? I certainly don't want to lose any fidelity.
Dave
Ill chime in here! I recently home demoed an mx150 and now I own the mx 135 which is 2 generations behind, Imo theres no contest with the 135 being better both in music and movies. I found the 2 channel is amazing compared to most pre pros and I am very happy with not only the dynamics but the dialouge as well with movies.

I have been at this game for some time now owning and home demoing just about every piece out there and I can tell the older mac stuff is amazing.

just one guys opinion
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

This is what happens when a classy audio and home theater company listens to The Bland!!!@@@ Lack of musicality is his trademark!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Ill chime in here! I recently home demoed an mx150 and now I own the mx 135 which is 2 generations behind, Imo theres no contest with the 135 being better both in music and movies. I found the 2 channel is amazing compared to most pre pros and I am very happy with not only the dynamics but the dialouge as well with movies.

I have been at this game for some time now owning and home demoing just about every piece out there and I can tell the older mac stuff is amazing.

just one guys opinion

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to modernize a bit and maybe get something with some room correction capabilities, I could use it, but maybe I'll just stay where I'm at. Hey, my MX-132 has been, and still is, a wonderful sounding work horse for many years now. And I certainly don't want to go backwards in the fidelity dept., since that is my primary goal. Again, thanks for your input!

Dave

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

(Arthur C. Clarke)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

I am surprised that Mc did not include a pure analog passthrough since the MX150 is otherwise all digital and handles everything in the digital domain.

For those of us that are not into analog -- the MX150 serves as a high quality preamp with only the need for its DACs before sending the signal to the amps.

For those with analog sources, then the MX150 will convert the analog to digital for processing or no processing as chosen by the user and then back to analog and is probably the reason why there is a feeling that the MX150 is not the best analog preamp.

Perhaps Mc engineering felt that since the only way that Room Perfect could be used is in the digital domain, they would keep the piece totally digital even though RP can be easily defeated.

While I am a happy camper with only digital sources going into my MX150, I do feel that there should have been a pure analog passthrough for analog fans that prefer to use an outboard stereo preamp.

MikeSp

Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to modernize a bit and maybe get something with some room correction capabilities, I could use it, but maybe I'll just stay where I'm at. Hey, my MX-132 has been, and still is, a wonderful sounding work horse for many years now. And I certainly don't want to go backwards in the fidelity dept., since that is my primary goal. Again, thanks for your input!

Dave

While room correction can be useful, theres no substitute for great sound, I recently owned an anthem d2 with arc for the past 4 years and although I think the arc is wonderful, my mx 135 still sounds better in movies and music.

I also recently picked up the oppo 95 and tested the optical through the mac which gives you the highest form of dts vs the analouge imputs with blu ray movies and after much testing I was hard pressed to find a difference between the two.

I understand you want to moderinize but I feel a lot of the new gear today maybe have modernized but I think the quality and performance has taken a step backwards with some brands( maybe due to economy, finding cheaper ways to build the stuff)

you know the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it"
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Just and opinion:

After owning the MX150 for a little over 3 weeks, I must say that it is the best HT processor I've ever owned. Coming from a Krell S-1200, Anthem D2, and a Marantz AV8003 I find the MX150 to be much richer and powerful to my ears.

The beauty of the MX150 lies in the Room Perfect implementation. I must confess that I had to redo the whole calibration process three times before I got the MX150 to sound to its potential. The first time I got 69% percent of room correction and found my system lacking base and details. After talking with Chuck Hinton from Mcintosh I redid the calibration process placing the microphone at least 2 1/2 feet away from any surface (ceilings, walls, floor, etc) and 6 focus positions. My god, the global results where amazing with only 19% of room correction. I only watch movies and now I'm hearing so much details that I was missing, especially in low and upper mids. Base is deeper and tighter than ever, just wonderful.

By the way, my system:

MX150 Pre-amp
MC205 Amp
Marantz VP-11S2 Proyector
Stewart Studiotek 130 92
Marantz UD8004 Blu Ray Player
Oppo 83 Blu Ray Player
PS3 Slim
Canton Reference 3.2
Canton Vento Center Channel
Canton Vento 820 Surrounds
Canton Venton 850 Sub
Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Just and opinion:

After owning the MX150 for a little over 3 weeks, I must say that it is the best HT processor I've ever owned. Coming from a Krell S-1200, Anthem D2, and a Marantz AV8003 I find the MX150 to be much richer and powerful to my ears.

What did you think of the Marantz AV8003 ?

I also owned the D2. Not much comming out of this pre-pro. Pretty sterile sound.

I found the mx-150 to perform best with hi-rez signal. regular DTS/DD sounded harsh. Dont know why.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

What did you think of the Marantz AV8003 ?

I also owned the D2. Not much comming out of this pre-pro. Pretty sterile sound.

I found the mx-150 to perform best with hi-rez signal. regular DTS/DD sounded harsh. Dont know why.

For the money the Marantz cannot be beaten. I never liked the D2, not that is bad machine in any way, just that for my taste never impressed me, especially in low frequencies range. The Krell is amazing, a beautiful piece. Is better than the MX150 in some features, but the Mc with Room Perfect is a better machine overall.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM

As an owner of Marantz AV8003, I absolutely love it. Ergonomics, sans remote, is great and it's a quality piece of audio engineering. When using this unit it feels that engineers put analogue first and digital second - and that's what I want in my pre pro. I'm a lot more critical in my music listening (both 2ch and Mch SACD) then I am in the movie soundtrack.

It appears though that Marantz lowered quality with their follow up AV7005, with lack of XLR input, no support for DSD decoding and half the asking price. If the overall sound quality is the same though, then AV7005 is even bigger bargain than my 8003.

So back to MX150. I spoke with the McIntosh dealer in the showroom about MX150, and he was insisting that it absolutely has analogue bypass for both XLR stereo in and RCA m/ch. I mentioned that I've heard otherwise, including very good review by Kal Rubinson. Unfortunately he didn't have MX150 at that location, but I'll get to check the pre out this w/end at a different store.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post

It appears though that Marantz lowered quality with their follow up AV7005, with lack of XLR input, ....

Not true.

Quote:

...........no support for DSD decoding.........

Not a problem.

Quote:

...........and half the asking price.

Not a matter of quality.

Quote:

So back to MX150. I spoke with the McIntosh dealer in the showroom about MX150, and he was insisting that it absolutely has analogue bypass for both XLR stereo in and RCA m/ch. I mentioned that I've heard otherwise, including very good review by Kal Rubinson. Unfortunately he didn't have MX150 at that location, but I'll get to check the pre out this w/end at a different store.

How would you test it in a store? Why not just ask McIntosh?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=avsBuddy;20371407]So back to MX150. I spoke with the McIntosh dealer in the showroom about MX150, and he was insisting that it absolutely has analogue bypass for both XLR stereo in and RCA m/ch. I mentioned that I've heard otherwise, including very good review by Kal Rubinson. Unfortunately he didn't have MX150 at that location, but I'll get to check the pre out this w/end at a different store.

[SNIP]QUOTE]

I sincerely hope you can find out that the MX150 has analog pass-through but I cannot locate it in any menus or in the so-called manual. When you find it, please let us on this forum know.

MikeSp