Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmda View Post
Mike,

Would a person really hear a difference with analog passthru that I have with the Oppo 83Se and MX120 vs the analog to digital of the MX150?

Sounds like the main difference in my setup to the MX150 would be the room correction. Mike (or others) do you agree? If so, it sounds like you are saying the room correction is incredible and by itself is worth the upgrade price..correct?
I have tried BOTH the 7.1 analog from my BDP83SE as well as HDMI inputs on my MX150 and using Room Correction for both, could not distinguish the difference in audio quality -- BUT I do not have golden ears -- a very discerning listener might distinguish the difference. For me, since the MX150 handles everythiing in the digital domain, I prefer to keep it that way using HDMI -- that would be one less conversion. It would seem reasonable to me that the fewer the number of conversions should yield better audio quality IMHO even if I cannot hear it . [ D-->A instead of D-->A in the Oppo and A-->D then D-->A in the MX150] 1 conversion vs. 3??

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 260 Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Liked: 10
Makes sense Mike. Appreciate it.
post #243 of 260 Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Just one more clarifying question..

Are you saying that connecting and Oppo via analog to the MX120 would yield virtually the same sound as and Oppo to HDMI to an MX150 (excluding the room correction)?

If so, this would basically make the room correction the deciding factor in upgrading from the MX120 to the MX150...is that the way to look at the decision? And if so, what I am understanding is that room correction is worth the upgrade cost..?

thanks for the help
post #244 of 260 Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you saying that connecting and Oppo via analog to the MX120 would yield virtually the same sound as and Oppo to HDMI to an MX150 (excluding the room correction)?

If so, this would basically make the room correction the deciding factor in upgrading from the MX120 to the MX150...is that the way to look at the decision? And if so, what I am understanding is that room correction is worth the upgrade cost..?

thanks for the help

Without any golden ears to distinguish enough difference to matter -- that is what I was meaning. The Oppo does an oustanding job at decoding lossless audio and using the high quality DACs in the OppoSE or Oppo 95 for 7.1 should work great. Again, my only concern with that is the number of conversions of digital vs. analog = 1 for HDMI and 3 for using the analog out and I cannot help but think that would have an effect on the audio quality -- but I never gave it a thorough testing and as I stated, no golden ears here to hear...

Mike

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #245 of 260 Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

thanks for the help

That would be primarily comparing the DACs between the two processors, and from what i read the MX150 have excellent DACs!

See Profile
post #246 of 260 Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

That would be primarily comparing the DACs between the two processors, and from what i read the MX150 have excellent DACs!

I had the MX-120. A the time of manufacture it had the best Burr Brown dacs money could buy. I loved the two channel audio produced from this processor!
I had my Pio BDP-09 hooked up for home theater analog out to the external inputs of the MX-120. I was very pleased with the sound. I also loved the loudness feature of the MX-120 processor.

That being said the MX-150 is a really outstanding piece of audio equipment. The MX-150 has a infinite number of possibilities for setting up your systems speakers, subs, crossovers etc. There really is no comparison in that regard to the MX-120.
As you know there is usually a workaround for different set-up issues.

My only (and it is small) gripe about the MX-150 is that it does not have a loudness feature. Some would not even consider this an issue, but I really liked what this feature did to the dynamics of my music. I am hoping that they will address this with a firmware upgrade in the future. I am not holding my breath though.

Once again I have a work-around (almost) for this. I have created a voicing set that has a frequency responce curve that is close to a Munson loudness curve. The only issue with this is it does not move in concert with the volume control.

After all that I can say with pleasure that I love my MX-150. I wish you all the best and hope this info helps you with your decision.
post #247 of 260 Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 PM

I'm a new MX150 owner and so far I love it. I am hoping some of you existing owners can help me out. I am trying to use my sub with my left and right mains for stereo music, but cannot figure out how. I have a transporter connected via aes/ebu and it only outputs the stereo signal to the left and right speakers.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #248 of 260 Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WKURO View Post

I'm a new MX150 owner and so far I love it. I am hoping some of you existing owners can help me out. I am trying to use my sub with my left and right mains for stereo music, but cannot figure out how. I have a transporter connected via aes/ebu and it only outputs the stereo signal to the left and right speakers.

How do you have the bass management set up? Also note, if you use "pure stereo" mode it will bypass bass management.
post #249 of 260 Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the response, I have made a little progress with the unit after playing with settings over the weekend. I had my Mains set to XL which I have now changed the crossover to 40 Hz. I now get the subwoofer in no processing mode, but the sub is not putting out a great deal of bass. In fact, there seems to be a greater output from just the two speaker in stereo mode.

Ideally, I want to make as few adjustments to the signal as possible, but I would like the full frequency signal sent to the L and R Mains, and still have low frequency signals sent to the sub to boost the low end.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #250 of 260 Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the response, I have made a little progress with the unit after playing with settings over the weekend. I had my Mains set to XL which I have now changed the crossover to 40 Hz. I now get the subwoofer in no processing mode, but the sub is not putting out a great deal of bass. In fact, there seems to be a greater output from just the two speaker in stereo mode.

Ideally, I want to make as few adjustments to the signal as possible, but I would like the full frequency signal sent to the L and R Mains, and still have low frequency signals sent to the sub to boost the low end.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's too bad their manual is lacking, but thankfully you can get one on one support by calling them directly. Give Chuck a call and see what he says.

See Profile
post #251 of 260 Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

As I understand it, using subs for stereo requires TWO -- one for each of the two channels and here is a quote from Ron Cornelius at McIntosh (knows his stuff but often is extremely brief due to his time constraints on either of the two McIntosh forums and his many duties at McIntosh). I started a couple of threads on how to utilize two subs in stereo mode as well as HT mode and among the responses is this one from Ron C: (hope it helps)

You might visit the following link and do a search -- think you can visit and search without being a member:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-audio/

MikeSp

Yes you can use aux 1 and 2 as your left right sub outputs. If you set the sub/Front size to XXLthen these will produce LFE information. If you are using another mono sub in the sub out you can leave the LFE there. Whatever you cross the surround speakers at will be the cut off frequency for your sub output as this is where the bass will need to come from.
Cross everything over 4th order L-R and Room Perfect will balance the system.

I actually have my own system set up this way with stereo bi-amp fronts cutoff at 40Hz and a big sub cut off at 100 Hz on top and all the way to 20Hz on the bottom. This allows my small surrounds to have their base from the single sub.

post #252 of 260 Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

As I understand it, using subs for stereo requires TWO -- one for each of the two channels and here is a quote from Ron Cornelius at McIntosh (knows his stuff but often is extremely brief due to his time constraints on either of the two McIntosh forums and his many duties at McIntosh). I started a couple of threads on how to utilize two subs in stereo mode as well as HT mode and among the responses is this one from Ron C: (hope it helps)

You might visit the following link and do a search -- think you can visit and search without being a member:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-audio/

MikeSp

Yes you can use aux 1 and 2 as your left right sub outputs. If you set the sub/Front size to XXLthen these will produce LFE information. If you are using another mono sub in the sub out you can leave the LFE there. Whatever you cross the surround speakers at will be the cut off frequency for your sub output as this is where the bass will need to come from.
Cross everything over 4th order L-R and Room Perfect will balance the system.

I actually have my own system set up this way with stereo bi-amp fronts cutoff at 40Hz and a big sub cut off at 100 Hz on top and all the way to 20Hz on the bottom. This allows my small surrounds to have their base from the single sub.

Thanks, that is helpful. Unfortunately, it may be a bit before I am in a dedicated HT room and have the space for a second sub.

One other question I have come across involves the remote triggers. I am trying to utilize the setting for leaving the remote triggers on for an additional amount of time, but no matter how I set them up, the additional time only works if I switch between sources. When I turn the unit off, the triggers go off with it. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance everyone.
post #253 of 260 Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM

I spoke with Chuck and it turns out the triggers all go dead when the unit goes into standby mode so there is no way around that.

I also spoke with him about the sub setup and he said that the McSUB setting that was available on previous models is not on the 150. I have been playing with the crossovers and I think I will be able to get closer to what I want with some changes.
post #254 of 260 Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Chuck mentioned using the natural roll off setting on yes, can anyone explain to me what that setting does? Thanks in advance.
post #255 of 260 Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chuck mentioned using the natural roll off setting on yes, can anyone explain to me what that setting does? Thanks in advance.

I believe that it means that the crossover does not cut off 100% at whatever you have it set at. For example, IF you are crossing over your mains at 80 Hz and the subs handle everything below that, it does not cut everything below 80 Hz off but is somewhat graduated below 80Hz with the bulk of the cutoff at 80.

Somebody correct me if incorrect.

MikeSp

post #256 of 260 Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

I believe that it means that the crossover does not cut off 100% at whatever you have it set at. For example, IF you are crossing over your mains at 80 Hz and the subs handle everything below that, it does not cut everything below 80 Hz off but is somewhat graduated below 80Hz with the bulk of the cutoff at 80.

Somebody correct me if incorrect.

MikeSp

I spoke with Chuck again and he informed me that the natural roll off is similar to the McBASS setting from older models. It basically sets the output to that speaker to full range, but also sends the signal below whatever you crossover at to the sub.
post #257 of 260 Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 AM

Hi Guys
Did someone between the MX150/151 owners know how to visualize what kind of PCM signal is incoming? The "info" button will only display "PCM STEREO" but I'd like to know if the player correctly sends 192Khz/24bit or 96Khz/24bit etc...
Thanks in advance
post #258 of 260 Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottigoal View Post

Hi Guys
Did someone between the MX150/151 owners know how to visualize what kind of PCM signal is incoming? The "info" button will only display "PCM STEREO" but I'd like to know if the player correctly sends 192Khz/24bit or 96Khz/24bit etc...
Thanks in advance

I had the same question, the other day. I called Chuck Hinton at McIntosh, and he confirmed that the 150 does not show the data info. He did say that if the 150 cannot play the incoming stream at native rate, it will not play at all. The 150 does not down convert.

John
post #259 of 260 Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If any current McIntosh 150/151 owner's are interested, there is now an official thread with some great info. Just wanted to get the word out..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479699/the-official-mcintosh-labs-mx-151-mx150-owners-thread#post_23490646

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #260 of 260 Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM

i agree with you, I think this is part of the reason for the delay on that unit though too,thanks lt6Lgn
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page