Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Steve,

Have you seen (or heard) one? ;-)

No I haven't seen or heard either a Compli Blu or even a Lexicon with a
Lexicon "black box" encasing the original unchanged Oppo stuff. Have you?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yup. I've heard a Lexicon because I own the Oppo, and as far as reports go - they are 100% identical inside. Now, if these reports are in error, then I take back my comments.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #93 of 401 Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will this be the first Theta anything that doesn't have balanced outs?
post #94 of 401 Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

Will this be the first Theta anything that doesn't have balanced outs?

The original Compli had single ended Analogue outs only. The only balanced out was an AES/EBU Digital out.
post #95 of 401 Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are theta owners expecting this player will perform as well via its analog vs HDMI through a theta processor?
post #96 of 401 Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Are theta owners expecting this player will perform as well via its analog vs HDMI through a theta processor?

Whatever expectations Theta owners may have is pure speculation, but Theta the manufacturer I believe is making a clear commitment to the HDMI architecture by not building a 10K player with 7K worth of DACs and analog output circuitry that would become entirely redundant the day their CBIII HDMI upgrade becomes available. Hopefully 3K will get you a digital transport that cannot reasonably be improved upon when used over HDMI.
post #97 of 401 Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Really? So if you mount an Oppo transport on a good base, damp the tray,and supply a linear power supply noted to improve the audio, that`s it.The best digital transport for 3K on can reasonable get?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #98 of 401 Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Really? So if you mount an Oppo transport on a good base, damp the tray,and supply a linear power supply noted to improve the audio, that`s it.The best digital transport for 3K on can reasonable get?

Clearly far better digital transports can be build then the 3K Compli. However, what I said is "Hopefully 3K will get you a digital transport that cannot reasonably be improved upon when used over HDMI."

When someone figures out how to implement Hig Reze audio over HDMI sounding as good as going through an analog MC preamp, at that point the question is how much difference will the quality of the HDMI source make, i.e. will anyone be able to build an HDMI transport sounding better than a $500 oppo over HDMI.

Just because spending more money on transports for synchronous protocols gets you better sound, does not mean the same applies to asynchronous HDMI. It could very well be that if the HDMI interface separates audio from video, buffers, reclocks and upsamples the signal, the architecture becomes "HDMI source agnostic", and all you'll ever need is the Oppo as digital source, or the Theta if you prefer their styling.

If the HD621 achieves the same thing (I have not heard anyone conclusively say their megabucks Blu Ray player into the HD621 sounds any better than the Oppo). Note that PS Audio may be achieving the same thing already with their asynchronous I2S interface and bridge + digital lens. Apparently, using a $200 eternal storage device and their birdge + digital lens into their Perfectwave DAC, sounds exactly as good as using their $3000 Perfect Wave Transport using the same interface. Given these early indications the days of "bits are bits" may finally be upon us, this is not a good time to develop (or buy) a 10K universal if it will be used as digital transport. If you are planning to continue using analog outs it becomes a different story.

In any case, it is too early to tell, hence I said "hopefully".
post #99 of 401 Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Okay so our first handful of Compli's have landed in customers hands..

I got a call from Jim Coyle today who was totally thrilled as to what he heard and saw with just few days of the Compli blue in his hands..

He is an audiophile with Theta Casablanca and lots of other gear.. He has the Sony 3000 Cd player and he clearly stated that the Theta Was much nicer sonically and its not even broken in yet.

So has Theta done it again ? I think so , I have the Compli blu setup in my house and not only is it built like a tank but it sounds and looks great.

I know, that at the retail price of 3K or the special trade list price of 2495 sounds high but its really not..

Compared to everything out there in this price point, Theta actually has something special..

I am sure the arguments will start but back to basics, Look and Listen to one and then tell me what you think.

Craig
post #100 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

He has the Sony 3000 Cd player and he clearly stated that the Theta Was much nicer sonically and its not even broken in yet.
Craig

Yes, we already know that the Oppo sounds better than this player. My oppo even sounds a lot better than my old Theta Compli.
post #101 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

Yes, we already know that the Oppo sounds better than this player. My oppo even sounds a lot better than my old Theta Compli.

I love the Oppo for it's perfomance value ratio, that being said, been there done that vis a vi Compli & BD-83 for CD, DVD-A, & DSD. Not a chance. For Tru HD & DTS-MA I agree since the Oppo sounds a lot better than silence.
post #102 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

My oppo even sounds a lot better than my old Theta Compli.

Really ? how are you setup with these players? (analog out or simply digital)?
post #103 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 550
The test here should be Oppo against the Theta. From what I have learned from Theta is the audio is noticeably improved. Now we donn`t need opinions from dealers like Craig and me but from owners who have both. Selling a slightly used Oppo for close to MSRP should be no problem if one gets both for this test.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #104 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

An Oppo 83 SE version replaced my Compli soon after this broke down. Only relevant comparison in my setup is analog out for multichannel SACD (because I used AES/EBU for movies on the Compli and use HDMI on the Oppo). I have another player for redbook CD.

This "test" (we only speak of Audio quality here) was in my highly treated room with 5 dedicated ac lines and the rest of components in use for playing SACD´s from the Oppo are:

Surround processor is Cary Cinema 11a. Amps are Jeff Rowland 301 for front L+R, Jeff Rowland 501 for center, Bel Canto S-500 for surround. 2 x Burmester 948 AC conditioners. Speakers are Aerial 20Tv2 for front L+R, Aerial cc5 for center + Audio Physic Minos sub to fill in the cc5, Aerial SR3 surround, 2 x Aerial SW12 for LFE.

The Oppo got all the same cables that the Compli had before, Wireworld 5.2 Gold Electra power cord and rca interconnects from the Oppo to the Surround processor are Wireworld gold eclipse 5.2 for front, center and sub, wireworld silver eclipse 5.2 for surrounds. From there all cabling is mix of Nordost Odin, Valhalla and Tyr.

Brand new, out of the box, I was chocked how good the Oppo 83 SE was, I had never before had this sound from my SACD´s. Without any doubt it was quite a lot better than my old Compli. Much more resolution and dynamics - or better in every area I can think of. I was not prepared for this, only hoped it wouldn´t be much worse than the Compli, but I was completely wrong. I understand technology is moving fast! Hope you believe me, I am not making this up. Have no other agenda.

ps 1: Haven´t heard the Compli Blu. Guess its audio quality also will be much better than the previous Compli also for SD DVD and SACD. I had an Compli Blu on order, but mainly because Theta doesn´t provide HD-SDI I have cancelled this. The Oppo 83 SE with HD-SDI seems to provide all what I need at the moment. It is so good that I think it would be better to invest in new projector or better surround processor if I should think of anything. If I should get a better BD player I would also look at the new Ayre. Seems to me that they have done more changes/upgrades than Theta, but the price is of course even higher.

ps 2: For video and SD DVD I used SDI out of my Compli, and now through the HD-SDI on the Oppo. Can´t see any difference.
post #105 of 401 Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

An Oppo 83 SE version replaced my Compli soon after this broke down. Only relevant comparison in my setup is analog out for multichannel SACD (because I used AES/EBU for movies on the Compli and use HDMI on the Oppo). I have another player for redbook CD.

This "test" (we only speak of Audio quality here) was in my highly treated room with 5 dedicated ac lines and the rest of components in use for playing SACD´s from the Oppo are:

Surround processor is Cary Cinema 11a. Amps are Jeff Rowland 301 for front L+R, Jeff Rowland 501 for center, Bel Canto S-500 for surround. 2 x Burmester 948 AC conditioners. Speakers are Aerial 20Tv2 for front L+R, Aerial cc5 for center + Audio Physic Minos sub to fill in the cc5, Aerial SR3 surround, 2 x Aerial SW12 for LFE.

The Oppo got all the same cables that the Compli had before, Wireworld 5.2 Gold Electra power cord and rca interconnects from the Oppo to the Surround processor are Wireworld gold eclipse 5.2 for front, center and sub, wireworld silver eclipse 5.2 for surrounds. From there all cabling is mix of Nordost Odin, Valhalla and Tyr.

Brand new, out of the box, I was chocked how good the Oppo 83 SE was, I had never before had this sound from my SACD´s. Without any doubt it was quite a lot better than my old Compli. Much more resolution and dynamics - or better in every area I can think of. I was not prepared for this, only hoped it wouldn´t be much worse than the Compli, but I was completely wrong. I understand technology is moving fast! Hope you believe me, I am not making this up. Have no other agenda.

ps 1: Haven´t heard the Compli Blu. Guess its audio quality also will be much better than the previous Compli also for SD DVD and SACD. I had an Compli Blu on order, but mainly because Theta doesn´t provide HD-SDI I have cancelled this. The Oppo 83 SE with HD-SDI seems to provide all what I need at the moment. It is so good that I think it would be better to invest in new projector or better surround processor if I should think of anything. If I should get a better BD player I would also look at the new Ayre. Seems to me that they have done more changes/upgrades than Theta, but the price is of course even higher.

ps 2: For video and SD DVD I used SDI out of my Compli, and now through the HD-SDI on the Oppo. Can´t see any difference.

That's a nice rig. Your original post cited the BD-83 not the SE. The Std unit would not touch the old Compli. I do not doubt your observations on the SE however as I have not had occasion to listen to it yet. I was supposed to have a NuForce SE in house to test on Thursday, but I had to cancel to go to Mammoth. We're doing it in 2 weeks instead. We should have the Compli Blu, as well as a Denon DVD-5910 all disc player (no BD) and an Elite BDP-09FD. I shall post. Regards, Norm
post #106 of 401 Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

That's a nice rig. Your original post cited the BD-83 not the SE. The Std unit would not touch the old Compli. I do not doubt your observations on the SE however as I have not had occasion to listen to it yet. I was supposed to have a NuForce SE in house to test on Thursday, but I had to cancel to go to Mammoth. We're doing it in 2 weeks instead. We should have the Compli Blu, as well as a Denon DVD-5910 all disc player (no BD) and an Elite BDP-09FD. I shall post. Regards, Norm

That will be interesting.
post #107 of 401 Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

May I ask if you ever compared the digital route for multi channel SACD on the Oppo using PCM output over HDMI, and compared it with MC analog? If so how did this compare? Conversely, did you ever play Blu Ray over the analog outs and how did this compare with HDMI?

Reason I'm asking is that if you found all Multi Channel High Rez audio to sound better over analog, you may get more bang for the buck upgrading your MC analog preamp than sinking 10K into an Ayre (if money is no object you could of course do both). I personally was using the very good Pioneer 09 Blu Ray into the MC analog inputs on my Onkyo processor, and going from the Onkyo to a Theta Six Shooter was a night and day difference. I suspect you would get a big lift from going from the Cary 11a to a six shooter (or equivalent). Since you indicated you have a separate 2 channel setup, you could use the second input on the six shooter for 2 channel and integrate your multi channel and 2 channel systems. The casablanca III you would need a to control the six shooter can be used for digital sources such as satelite receiver. Finally, if it turns out Theta's forthcoming HDMI implementation bests the six shooter analog route you can upgrade your casablanca III and go back to digital.
post #108 of 401 Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I received my March Stereophile today. There is a comparison between the Oppo BD-83 and the Lexicon. Needless to say, Kal's findings are essentially the same as Audioholics. Kal did find improvement with the BD-83SE over the regular version.

Let's hope other high end companies do better than Lexicon with their Oppo derived players, although I'm sticking with my Oppo.
post #109 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

May I ask if you ever compared the digital route for multi channel SACD on the Oppo using PCM output over HDMI, and compared it with MC analog? If so how did this compare? Conversely, did you ever play Blu Ray over the analog outs and how did this compare with HDMI?

Reason I'm asking is that if you found all Multi Channel High Rez audio to sound better over analog, you may get more bang for the buck upgrading your MC analog preamp than sinking 10K into an Ayre (if money is no object you could of course do both). I personally was using the very good Pioneer 09 Blu Ray into the MC analog inputs on my Onkyo processor, and going from the Onkyo to a Theta Six Shooter was a night and day difference. I suspect you would get a big lift from going from the Cary 11a to a six shooter (or equivalent). Since you indicated you have a separate 2 channel setup, you could use the second input on the six shooter for 2 channel and integrate your multi channel and 2 channel systems. The casablanca III you would need a to control the six shooter can be used for digital sources such as satelite receiver. Finally, if it turns out Theta's forthcoming HDMI implementation bests the six shooter analog route you can upgrade your casablanca III and go back to digital.

You have a very good point. I have compared the analog outs from the Oppo vs digital/HDMI and using the DACs in my Cinema 11a. For movies I prefer going digital, but for SACD I prefer analog. I don´t know why it is so, that is just my findings.

Six Shooter/CBIII (or iV?) could be of interest. I was hesitating for a moment because of lack of room correction, but have done some changes in my setup recently and added more acoustic treatment which makes me think I no longer must have this. Another option is a high quality multichannel preamp like the Audio Research. Then I could keep my Cinema 11a which I will need for several other digital sources and integrate it with an analog mc preamp. (I am one of the few out here which haven´t had much problems with this unit, works very nice in my system). My 2ch preamp has cinema bypass, so I would let the L+R signals from the mc preamp go through the 2ch preamp, not the other way around.
post #110 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am hearing very good reports about the Oppo SE. Too bad Thete did not have that model to build this player. I would certainly buy it considering how nicely done the Theta power supply looks

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #111 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have a very good point. I have compared the analog outs from the Oppo vs digital/HDMI and using the DACs in my Cinema 11a. For movies I prefer going digital, but for SACD I prefer analog. I don´t know why it is so, that is just my findings.

Six Shooter/CBIII (or iV?) could be of interest. I was hesitating for a moment because of lack of room correction, but have done some changes in my setup recently and added more acoustic treatment which makes me think I no longer must have this. Another option is a high quality multichannel preamp like the Audio Research. Then I could keep my Cinema 11a which I will need for several other digital sources and integrate it with an analog mc preamp. (I am one of the few out here which haven´t had much problems with this unit, works very nice in my system). My 2ch preamp has cinema bypass, so I would let the L+R signals from the mc preamp go through the 2ch preamp, not the other way around.

For now, getting an Acoustic Research might be your best bet to upgrade Multi Channel analog sound quality, without loosing the flexibility of the Cinema 11a. If your budget allows, you could then take things up another notch on MC SACD by getting a universal player with reference DACs and analog circuit (possibly Ayre, may be Marantz UD9004). The only possible compromise I see with using the Audio Research + Cinema 11 + 2 channel preamp is you would need to run the Cinema 11a multi channel analog outputs through an active multi channel analog input on the AR. This is one redundant circuit that could possibly compromising sound quality. You could ask if Audio Research could rewire their Multi Channel 3 input to bypass mode, which would solve this problem. Also, I do not know how the AR compares sonically to a six shooter, but it is probably in the same leaugue. Another potential additional benefit is that unless you are using some esoteric $10K plus 2 channel preamp, the Audio Research MP1 (and six shooter for that matter), may be at par with what you are using now, allowing you to take it out of the chain. If Theta delivers HDMI, their CBIII + six shooter will probably be superior sonically to AR MP1 + Cinema 11a, but it would be more expensive and most importantly it is not there yet. Another multi channel preamp option would be a EMM switchman 3.
post #112 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I am hearing very good reports about the Oppo SE. Too bad Thete did not have that model to build this player. I would certainly buy it considering how nicely done the Theta power supply looks

I agree!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #113 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I agree!

Wonder why the designers at Theta and Lexicon could not upgrade the DACs themselves (Not sure if Ayre replace the DACs), if Oppo can do it adding just $300 to the cost of the unit. At this point the best price/performance bet may be the Nuforce upgraded SE, but we'll soon find out when Norm does the shootout between that player and the Theta.
post #114 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Also, I do not know how the AR compares sonically to a six shooter, but it is probably in the same leaugue. Another potential additional benefit is that unless you are using some esoteric $10K plus 2 channel preamp, the Audio Research MP1 (and six shooter for that matter), may be at par with what you are using now, allowing you to take it out of the chain. If Theta delivers HDMI, their CBIII + six shooter will probably be superior sonically to AR MP1 + Cinema 11a, but it would be more expensive and most importantly it is not there yet. Another multi channel preamp option would be a EMM switchman 3.

IMO the Six Shooter is better than the LS25 which I believe the MAP1 is based. I have owned the LS25 briefly.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #115 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO the Six Shooter is better than the LS25 which I believe the MAP1 is based. I have owned the LS25 briefly.

I assume you mean the SS is better than the Audio Research MP1? the MAP1 is the McCormack. (not sure what is up with naming of multi channel preamps. Conrad Johnson has a MET1).
post #116 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:

For now, getting an Acoustic Research might be your best bet to upgrade Multi Channel analog sound quality, without loosing the flexibility of the Cinema 11a. If your budget allows, you could then take things up another notch on MC SACD by getting a universal player with reference DACs and analog circuit (possibly Ayre, may be Marantz UD9004). The only possible compromise I see with using the Audio Research + Cinema 11 + 2 channel preamp is you would need to run the Cinema 11a multi channel analog outputs through an active multi channel analog input on the AR. This is one redundant circuit that could possibly compromising sound quality. You could ask if Audio Research could rewire their Multi Channel 3 input to bypass mode, which would solve this problem. Also, I do not know how the AR compares sonically to a six shooter, but it is probably in the same leaugue. Another potential additional benefit is that unless you are using some esoteric $10K plus 2 channel preamp, the Audio Research MP1 (and six shooter for that matter), may be at par with what you are using now, allowing you to take it out of the chain. If Theta delivers HDMI, their CBIII + six shooter will probably be superior sonically to AR MP1 + Cinema 11a, but it would be more expensive and most importantly it is not there yet. Another multi channel preamp option would be a EMM switchman 3.

I am mostly a 2 channel guy, at least 90% of my collection is redbook and I have invested heavily in 2 ch gear. I have latest Burmester reference cd and preamp. So I believe there isn´t any multich preamp in the same league. At least I can say that my current preamp is far, far better in all areas than my previous Theta GenVIII (mkI).

I would prefer, if possible, not to have mc preamp and surround proc. in two different boxes so if I could replace my Cary Cinema 11a sometime in the future with a top notch surr.processor I would be happy. I have also heard very good reports about the Krell processors, the 707 and also the s1200, when it comes to the analog section. The 707 is too expensive I think, so I am mostly interested in the s1200 and to know how the new Theta CB will compete with this.
post #117 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex22 View Post

I received my March Stereophile today. There is a comparison between the Oppo BD-83 and the Lexicon. Needless to say, Kal's findings are essentially the same as Audioholics. Kal did find improvement with the BD-83SE over the regular version.

Let's hope other high end companies do better than Lexicon with their Oppo derived players, although I'm sticking with my Oppo.

I've not yet received the March issue so obviously not clear on exactly what comparisons Kal made, but a couple of observations:

1. If used as a digital transport and/or an 'unzipping' digital transport I am not sure that there are even hi-end improvements to be made. Does a better power supply or digital clock really make an appreciable difference? Perhaps it really is just going to be about a nicer look and feel.

2. When analog outputs enter the equation, then I imagine it becomes a somewhat different 'kettle-of-fish'. Since I do not need it in my system, I've not compared the Oppo analog to anyhting else. Presumably this is where the hi-end can offer some benefit.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #118 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am mostly a 2 channel guy, at least 90% of my collection is redbook and I have invested heavily in 2 ch gear. I have latest Burmester reference cd and preamp. So I believe there isn´t any multich preamp in the same league. At least I can say that my current preamp is far, far better in all areas than my previous Theta GenVIII (mkI).

I would prefer, if possible, not to have mc preamp and surround proc. in two different boxes so if I could replace my Cary Cinema 11a sometime in the future with a top notch surr.processor I would be happy. I have also heard very good reports about the Krell processors, the 707 and also the s1200, when it comes to the analog section. The 707 is too expensive I think, so I am mostly interested in the s1200 and to know how the new Theta CB will compete with this.

A single box will involve some level of compromise on MC SACD analog. I would wait for Theta to release the CBIII HDMI upgrade and if the reviews are positive get one to replace the Cary and hide a six shooter behind your audio rack (that is what I do - it is only about 8 inches deep).
post #119 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I don't own a Six Shooter as I'm still in the Theta dark ages with a CBII but I did own the AR LS25 MKII for a few months and was not impressed. The sound quality of my Stax preamp that is almost 30 years old remains my favorite 2 channel path. However, I did like how AR's HT bypass feature worked which certainly doesn't exist on my Stax; now I use a passive preamp as an HT bypass. It's more cables but it allows me to keep my preferred source (turntable) in the system as the Stax supports moving coil cartridges. My L&R main speakers are powered by Stax DA80M class A mono-block amps which are nice match for the preamp. I bought the Oppo SE as a gap filler while waiting for the Compli-Blu and I'm very happy with it. I mostly listen to the 2 channel path and since I'm a bit behind on the MC front, I can't offer much in that area. However, the SE is better than any other 2 channel unit I have owned (including a few a still own). I will likely purchase a mid-fi SSP, ditch the CBII and stick with my current 2 channel path.

Sam

Sam
post #120 of 401 Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post

I don't own a Six Shooter as I'm still in the Theta dark ages with a CBII but I did own the AR LS25 MKII for a few months and was not impressed. The sound quality of my Stax preamp that is almost 30 years old remains my favorite 2 channel path. However, I did like how AR's HT bypass feature worked which certainly doesn't exist on my Stax; now I use a passive preamp as an HT bypass. It's more cables but it allows me to keep my preferred source (turntable) in the system as the Stax supports moving coil cartridges. My L&R main speakers are powered by Stax DA80M class A mono-block amps which are nice match for the preamp. I bought the Oppo SE as a gap filler while waiting for the Compli-Blu and I'm very happy with it. I mostly listen to the 2 channel path and since I'm a bit behind on the MC front, I can't offer much in that area. However, the SE is better than any other 2 channel unit I have owned (including a few a still own). I will likely purchase a mid-fi SSP, ditch the CBII and stick with my current 2 channel path.

Sam

You may this find the Oppo SE is better than the Compli Blu Ray because the Oppo upgrade to the standrd unit for $400 appears to be more substantial than what Theta will do for $2500 extra. If you own a CBII you are in a bit of a bind because it wont control a Six Shooter, but if you own a CBIII, getting a six shooter is a far better strategy than ditching the Casablanca and getting a mid fi SSP.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page