Theta Digital Bluray player. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got off the phone with Theta and discovered they have a Blu-Ray player almost ready. I believe the name is CompliBlu if I heard right. Seems it will be a universal player with SACD and offers bitstreaming. How did this get past the Theta AVSers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Its the almost issue. At least no one says it will be ready in 2 more weeks. RIP Dwin.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which OEM player (if any) do y'all think it might be based on? An Oppo?
post #4 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding it is built from the Compli. Was that player based on a redesigned DVD player?
post #5 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

It is my understanding it is built from the Compli.

Possibly but it seems unlikely as both new drive mechanism as well as new electronics/processing are required. Mebbe they kept the case.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Could be an Oppo - Lexicon has OEM'd them... I would think for a small company like Theta it would be impossible to build a player from the ground up... BUt lets see the pre/pro first. I'm sure the player will arrive in '12.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone with Theta and discovered they have a Blu-Ray player almost ready. I believe the name is CompliBlu if I heard right. Seems it will be a universal player with SACD and offers bitstreaming. How did this get past the Theta AVSers?

Have they mentioned when the Beta testing will be complited on the CBIII-HDMI upgrade?
post #8 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The compli was based on a pioneer. Same remote also.

The internal parts were probably modified but if i remember well, the transport mechanism is the same.
post #9 of 401 Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

Have they mentioned when the Beta testing will be complited on the CBIII-HDMI upgrade?

Working Demo at Cedia. Selling shortly after is what I was told today. I'll be swinging by to check it out.
post #10 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

The internal parts were probably modified but if i remember well, the transport mechanism is the same.

IT would be interesting to know if THeta fixed the 3 sec layer change inherent in the $2K 09 and $500 05 players.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #11 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

The $2K 09 had a 1.1 sec layer change as tested by Secrets so I'm not sure where you are getting the 3 sec layer change from.

"The only area the BDP-09FD didn't shine was in the usability section of our benchmark. The player only had average performance when it comes to response, and clocked in at a good but not great 1.1 seconds for layer changes."

This is the perfect thread for you! You get to bash Theta and Pioneer in the same thread! Have fun..............
post #12 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any lag for layer changes on DVD in this day and age is unacceptable. Especially a $2K player. To me equipment is guilty until proven innocent. It's stuff someone's trying to sell. I have never had an emotional love affair over equipment. Who cares about it? If it's not right bitch. Someone at the co. will hear it

When Theta releases a working HDMI SSP, my complaint is over. After 5 years, I'm ready to move on.

post #13 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

I agree but there's HUGE difference between the 3 second layer change you stated and the factual 1.1 second layer change. The OPPO 83 had a 1 sec layer change. Is a tenth of a second that big of a deal to knock the Pioneer?
post #14 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I disagree. A 0.5 sec lag is huge. It may be a good BD player, but useless for DVD. Certainly for those who care about movie watching, it's a huge minus. May as well incorporate an intermission.

post #15 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 10:19 AM

The Pioneer 09 does not do SACD so it will be either from Oppo, Denon, or Marantz.

I pick the new Marantz.

It would be fun to think that Theta would apply their skill and handling of a totally Theta mutichannel analog audio section with Theta DACs and Theta fully balanced 7.1 channel analog outs paired with the Denon video section. Just put it all in a taller, very shiny, metal case and Bob's yer uncle.

Then, make a stand alone, fully balanced, Theta 8 shooter pure analog multichannel preamp to attach to.

How hard could that be and how long would that take? Bet it would sound killer.
post #16 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I disagree. A 0.5 sec lag is huge. It may be a good BD player, but useless for DVD. Certainly for those who care about movie watching, it's a huge minus. May as well incorporate an intermission.

What a great idea for an option selection on the player!
1- Change layer directly.
2- At layer change, insert pause while screen displays "Refreshments are available in the lobby."

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #17 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"We have a blu ray player" meaning Theta has bought a blu ray player they are testing on the HDM 1.3 Casablanca 3.

Interpreted as "we have a Theta blu ray player available for sale soon".

HA!

Theta's blu ray player will be either the Pioneer o5 or Oppo modded, likely the Oppo.
The player has to be a "reasonable" price to acquire before the mods and Theta's pricing. Too expensive an initial player means too expensive a Theta player and few sales.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #18 of 401 Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

What a great idea for an option selection on the player!
1- Change layer directly.
2- At layer change, insert pause while screen displays "Refreshments are available in the lobby."

. Good one!
I'll remember that next time I watch 'Barry Lyndon'.

post #19 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty/twenty View Post

It would be fun to think that Theta would apply their skill and handling of a totally Theta mutichannel analog audio section with Theta DACs and Theta fully balanced 7.1 channel analog outs paired with the Denon video section. Just put it all in a taller, very shiny, metal case and Bob's yer uncle.

Then, make a stand alone, fully balanced, Theta 8 shooter pure analog multichannel preamp to attach to.

How hard could that be and how long would that take? Bet it would sound killer.

I do not know of any 7.1 players or even 5.1 players with "fully" balanced outs for the surround channels.They are too expensive to make and thus sale. Only thing I could think of would be the EMM labs 6 channel dac with a separate transport but currently nothing does blu-ray they make. Speaking of EMM labs,they were one of the first to sell a really high quality six channel pre-amp. It's the worst selling product they sell, I am told. When the HDMI upgrade happens, I suspect, sells of even the Six Shooter will fall and give Theta very little incentive to offer a newer model. It's just the market. Most home theaters are still 5.1 and a very few people want multi-channel analog pre-amps. Most want an all in-one box even if the sound quality in inferior. It's unlikely you would ever see a player with fully balanced outs for the surround from Theta.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #20 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Theta's blu ray player will be either the Pioneer o5 or Oppo modded, likely the Oppo.
The player has to be a "reasonable" price to acquire before the mods and Theta's pricing. Too expensive an initial player means too expensive a Theta player and few sales.

Evelyn Sinclair told me that Theta had some sort of arrangement with Pioneer but that was the old Theta. I knew that the blu-ray player was being developed. When I first heard, it was nearly two years ago, so I should not be surprised that one is nearing completion. I guess we will see the a full scale launch of the new Theta with the Dreadnaught III, CBIII HDMI and Blu-ray player.

post #21 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I luv Theta - but with the technology leaps in the generation models of blu ray players, if Theta was working with a two year old platform to make a blu ray player, that just don't cut the cake, and I don't believe that's the case at all.

Remember that ATI manufactures AV components for many companies and ATI owns Theta. This gives possibilities that perhaps didn't exist for the old Theta.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #22 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I luv Theta - but with the technology leaps in the generation models of blu ray players, if Theta was working with a two year old platform to make a blu ray player, that just don't cut the cake, and I don't believe that's the case at all.

I did not say that is was a two year old platform . I have no idea. This is the new Theta and ATI may have agreements with other companies that Theta did not. Again, no idea.

post #23 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

I wouldn't go just on the remote. The CB3 has a pioneer remote too.
post #24 of 401 Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't go just on the remote. The CB3 has a pioneer remote too.

Not sure but I know a lot of universals were based upon Pioneer transports. The Bel Canto Player 1, Sim Moon Orbiter, and McCormack UDP-1 were as well according to an article Kal wrote in Stereophile. This kind of reminds me of a friend of mine who says that a Range Rover V8 is nothing but a Buick because the engine was originally a Buick 215. I disagree in both instances.

post #25 of 401 Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM

To repeat, Pioneer does not make an SACD capable Bluray player, so I doubt the OEM use by Theta.

Frankly, I'm not sure why SACD is even going to be included in this player. Purchasers are going to be high end audiophiles who, if they already own SACD's, will already own a high end SACD player. No need for the redundancy. If they do not already own SACD's, they will far more likely purchase Bluray discs instead.

Theta has always been an audiophile company. Leave the complicated bluray video to -Denon, Marantz,or Oppo- and take the analog mutichannel audio to the next level.
post #26 of 401 Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe they'll include something like the Sony HATS or Pioneer PQLS system in the transport to couple w/the CBIII and eliminate jitter. Would be a way to add value for Theta users and make distinctive. Don't know if and how the 'jitter jail' buffering will handle HDMI.

post #27 of 401 Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

SACD and DVD-A will be included digitally over HDMI for any high end audio company that uses the Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray player as its starting point. Get it???!!!@@@
My bet all along is Theta will use the Oppo player for its platform.

post #28 of 401 Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty/twenty View Post

Theta has always been an audiophile company. Leave the complicated bluray video to -Denon, Marantz,or Oppo- and take the analog mutichannel audio to the next level.

Hmmm, Theta been doing video for awhile. David,Voyager,Carmen, David II, Carmen II, and Compli with some having SDI outs. I know that Theta does dacs but when I think of the company now, I think mostly of home theater, multi-channel amps, surround processors, and yes video players.

post #29 of 401 Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SACD and DVD-A will be included digitally over HDMI for any high end audio company that uses the Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray player as its starting point. Get it???!!!@@@
My bet all along is Theta will use the Oppo player for its platform.

Right, like you I think, I've used an Oppo into an Onkyo 9.8 for multichannel hi rez formats. But there are maybe better ways to do it, that's what the Pioneer and Sony systems attempt. The processor and player work together in a clocking scheme that is an optional part of the HDMI spec. For example:

Quote:

As HDMI® has become the new high-definition cable connection of choice, HDMI is susceptible to digital transmission errors known as jitter. Jitter is caused by timing errors in the digital bit-stream between two connected components and can cause audibly noticeable problems sonically expressed by a lack of detail, depth, imaging, and ultimately a natural sound-fieldThe VSX-23TXH is the entry point for Pioneer's exclusive PQLS-Multi technology that can solve these problems when coupled with a PQLS-Multi equipped Pioneer Blu-Ray Disc® player (BDP-23FD). By using the 2-way HDMI CEC communication capabilities of the HDMI spec, Pioneer Elite PQLS components talk to each other and speed synchronize the digital clocks between them using the receiver's Precision Quartz Lock System (PQLS) to buffer and synchronize the digital audio signals, effectively removing the effects of jitter for a clear, pristine, natural sounding digital transfer. PQLS-Multi removes the effects of jitter with 2-channel CD playback and now from multi-channel DVD and Blu-Ray Disc soundtracks.

post #30 of 401 Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 AM

Is better to by sources from the "Real Makers" ,not re-badged brands.
Ok, Theta is fantastic in sound, period.
Same like Mcintosh... Buying DVD Player, that are Denon's $500 USD Re-Badged...LOOOOL
There is no Blu Ray Player such as Pioneer BDP-LX91.
This is the "KING".
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page