Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"Yes, after listening to the LPCM and TrueHD track of the same movie."

The problem is you are listening to two different soundtracks and then trying to extrapolate that to how two different transport methods of the same bit perfect soundtrack will sound different. And then using that as a slam against those that haven't bought into the lossless bitstream hype.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

"Some with up to 24dB slopes. So to some extent the Theta can make corrections in a room with a low frequency problem in certain cases. I would not say your statement is entirely accurate. It is in fact allowing for corrections in a room."

How exactly would your crossover options allow you to deal with a resonance at 37hz, another at 85hz and a third at 140hz? It doesn't.

Crossover options is not even remotely the same thing as room correction. I know, I have both.

Shawn
post #363 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

The problem is you are listening to two different soundtracks and then trying to extrapolate that to how two different transport methods of the same bit perfect soundtrack will sound different. And then using that as a slam against those that haven't bought into the lossless bitstream hype.

Shawn

True but if LCPM vs bitstream on lossy is equally as good, it likely won't be significant on lossless.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #364 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

"True but if LCPM vs bitstream on lossy is equally as good, it likely won't be significant on lossless."

Lossy decoders do vary in their decoding quality. They are more likely to have differences between decoding in the player vs. in the source compared against lossless decoders that *always* decode lossless exactly the same.

Shawn
post #365 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Shawn

Would you mind commenting on the whole post. Kind of like picking the words out of sentence to fit your own interpretation. "I love to hate you", doesn't equate to "I love you". I did comment on using LPCM vs Bitstream from the player using the Oppo. Not sure what your talking about. No one slammed anything. I simply stated an observation.

So since you side stepped my question regarding when a customer hears something different between the LPCM setting and Bitstream setting, am I supposed to tell them one of the following?

a) You must have Golden Ears to hear a difference. They sound the same to me.
b) You're wrong. You don't hear anything different. It's impossible. They are identical bit for bit.
c) Do you hear dead people too?
post #366 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"True but if LCPM vs bitstream on lossy is equally as good, it likely won't be significant on lossless."

Lossy decoders do vary in their decoding quality. They are more likely to have differences between decoding in the player vs. in the source compared against lossless decoders that *always* decode lossless exactly the same.

Shawn

Isn't the player the source device?
post #367 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Some with up to 24dB slopes. So to some extent the Theta can make corrections in a room with a low frequency problem in certain cases. I would not say your statement is entirely accurate. It is in fact allowing for corrections in a room."

How exactly would your crossover options allow you to deal with a resonance at 37hz, another at 85hz and a third at 140hz? It doesn't.

Crossover options is not even remotely the same thing as room correction. I know, I have both.

Shawn

Using a crossover will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? So it can correct issues. I never stated a crossover is equivalent to a full spectrum EQ. So yes you "can" get room improvement to some degree with a crossover in the low frequency range. A crossover is but a small part in tuning a room, but it is important. And it does affect the sound. So I am correct. You sir would be incorrect.

P.S. Yes I know the room dimensions make a difference for room modes. Depending on your seating position, subwoofer placement, crossover setting, dB setting, amount of absorption in the room tuned to the frequency you are trying to tame, and using an eq are all important to creating a "tuned" room. We can go through math formulas using trigonometry and discussing axial and tangential numbers for H/W/L. HEY Everyone... Lo)o)K -> Theta is working on their HDMI solution. Any updated news when it's coming out?
post #368 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Using a crossover will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? So it can correct issues.

You could make the same argument for the volume control.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #369 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

"Not sure what your talking about."

Your post comparing the sound differences between the LPCM track and the Dolby TrueHD track of Superman Returns.

"bring a blu-ray with both PCM and TrueHD/DTS MA HD to your local dealer. Try the re-release (Pioneer special) of Superman Returns."

Again, what does comparing two different sound tracks have to do with two different ways of transporting the same soundtrack?

"No one slammed anything."

Sure... this isn't a slam...

"While it is a solution, it's not the best solution. It rings "spin spin spin" in my ears. And in my mind I translate it into "BULLS##T, BULLS%%T, BULLS^^T". Stop it Stop it Stop it. None of us are 2 years olds. We are educated enough to see through this marketing veil. Just be honest with the products."

"So since you side stepped my question regarding when a customer hears something different between the LPCM setting and Bitstream setting, am I supposed to tell them one of the following?"

Since you are a dealer it is obvious which way you will slant. Myself I'd try and verify a difference,blindfolded. If I proved that I heard a difference (which a proper listening test would do) then I'd explore possible reasons why before automatically jumping to the least possible explanation and then making slams and claims about it.

But that is just me, your mileage obviously varies.

"Using a crossover will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? "

Using the power switch on your amplifier will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? Is that the same thing as what room correction can do?

Shawn
post #370 of 501 Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But that is just me, your mileage obviously varies.

"Using a crossover will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? "

Using the power switch on your amplifier will affect the sound in a room. Yes or no? Is that the same thing as what room correction can do?

Shawn

That's a moronic statement if I ever heard one. The Power Switch? There is a clear difference between modifying the original signal vs. just amplifying it or lowering it. Volume adjust Kal? Come on. And yes adjusting the amplitude *is* modifying the original signal as well (not what I'm speaking about).

We all know that if you set the volume at 70dB reference, and then play a movie, and then adjust the crossover it will change the bass characteristics from boomy to lean. I can do similar things with bass absorbers that are custom tuned to absorb the bass loading up in the room. Or I could increase the slope on the crossover and it will also reduce the amount of bass energy (boomy bass). The point is that the crossover can impact the quality of the sound which by definition is correcting for problems in the room. That is just a small part of tuning a room. No one ever implied that a crossover can take the place of a full spectrum eq. Also EQs can allow for slope adjustments. And guess what else uses slope adjustments? A Crossover.

You still did not answer the question I posed to you. Typical. If a customer asked you why they heard a difference between listening to the SAME TrueHD soundtrack, but output by the player via LPCM vs BITSTREAM, what would you tell them? That they are hearing things? It was that obvious none of us needed to be blindfolded. You weren't there so you really don't have anything relevant to add. And since you have not attempted in the slightest to even try it yourself with an Arcam, why am I even discussing this with you? You have zero experience, until you walk in our shoes. You don't even have to buy anything. Go to your local dealer and see for yourself to become educated to the whole experience. You'll have questions afterwards and I promise not to jump on you like you have tried to jump on me.

And as a dealer I sell both LPCM & Bitstream capable SSPs. I listen to the customers needs. If the need means Lexicon or ML, then great. I make more money on a LPCM only SSPs by the way. So don't try to play that there is a financial motivation here. Arcam costs considerably less. I am hopeful that either the CB3 releases an HDMI solution, or another SSP comes out that bests the current SSPs out there. Nice try.
post #371 of 501 Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

I am familiar with Lexicon. People choose brands for all kinds of reasons. All your evidence shows is that Theta has a loyal customer base. Nothing less and nothing more.

That's complete bull. Guys buy it because they believe it sounds better. Everyone I know has owned other processor before they owned Theta. For your premise to be true one woule have to have only have owned Theta and be blindly loyal to one brand. I have owned or demoed at home almost every processor brand. If Theta did not sound better, it would be sold. It does sound great. Sound quality is not Theta's problems. The company has other issues. Onkyo? How about Intergra? Like that brand too? Sounding kind of familiar?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #372 of 501 Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

That's complete bull. Guys buy it because they believe it sounds better. Everyone I know has owned other processor before they owned Theta. For your premise to be true one woule have to have only have owned Theta and be blindly loyal to one brand. I have owned or demoed at home almost every processor brand. If Theta did not sound better, it would be sold. It does sound great. Sound quality is not Theta's problems. The company has other issues. Onkyo? How about Intergra? Like that brand too? Sounding kind of familiar?

it seems you took a poll among all Theta owners since you can so confidently speak on everyone's behalf.
post #373 of 501 Old 11-08-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

it seems you took a poll among all Theta owners since you can so confidently speak on everyone's behalf.

Actually, we more or less have. For years Theta owners have kept in touch with each other both in person and on internet and we've discussed other surround processors we've used or demod and why we've like our CBs. The CB3 with Extreme DACs was the pinnancle of performance for audio quality in its time. Unfortunately, due to HDMI and lossless audio, the CB3 is behind the times for those of us who watch Blu Rays with few DVDs, so some of us Theta owners are too too too too too patiently waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting hopefully for the upcoming upcoming upcoming upcoming upcoming HDMI 1.3 audio upgrade. And its a bit easier to wait when we have a sensational relatively low price multi-channel analog preamp in the Theta Six Shooter that can go along with the CB3, for which we can use analog outputs of a Blu Ray player (or a decent but inexpensive HDMI 1.3 preamp/surround processor like the Integra 9.8 that I use as a stop gap waiting for the CB3 HDMI 1.3 audio)

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #374 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What else options do we need in addition to what the CBIII offers ?

Jim HTPC in my opinion has a good point when he says to just adjusting bass crossover does make difference, and my I add adjusting the phase as well.
And you can adjust the phase by editing the speaker delay, if you only has 180 degrees as an option!

A good start is probably to set the crossover not higher/lower than 80 Hz.

Rom correction using a microphone does not give the optimal sound. You have to listen the the changes in real time. What room correction units offer you that ?
At the moment I know only about Yamaha. And I believe CBIII using the Crystal SW does as well. (Or have someone press the bottoms on the CBIII on your command, or using your remote).
Changing the mic only a foot would give you different settings, and will not get you what you really like to have.
And if you are two or more in watching at the movie a mic would even cause more problems, cause you will need to at least adjust the rear speaker delay. Making a compromise for all listeners, that automatic tuning can't do.

I hope someone has a strong objection to this

In the CBIII you set up the speaker distance, (meaning delay), the crossover option, the crossover frequency, and the crossover slope pr. input channel !
http://thetadigital.com/casablanca_i...ler_info.shtml

What other surround processor are able to do that ? (Manually, I should probably add).
And it does it individually pr. input. So by some creative programming and cabling you can even use the same source and set up the CBIII differently and in that way also verify different sonic options from the same source in real time by just changing the input source. Beat that !!!

First, when you set up your system, you have to make sure that it works in stereo. And I would assume that you will not use any processing for your best sonic performance. If you have a problem in stereo, the problem will just raise as you add speakers. And room correction will be a hard exercise.

So I would assume the problems start when you add the rest of the speakers, and that's why you like to have a room correction.

I would like to have an explanation why I would need to edit the sound once more by using a full spectrum EQ. I think we are then doing a second mixing with the signal. (Meaning we will do better? / or edit what the studio already has done).

Are a full spectrum EQ really a room correction ?
Isn't the parameters given to us be Theta enough for room correction assuming you are able to understand how to use them.

An EQ is just a mixer that does the following:
"Equalizers are intended to correct the tonal balance in the music, by adjusting only certain bands of frequencies (low, mid, high, or Bass, Mid, Treble, etc.). These ranges can either be amplified (turned up) or attenuated (turned down) independently of each other, so as to “bring out” subtleties otherwise lost in the audio recording, or to reduce the tonal imperfections in the music or audio program".
http://www.fluther.com/disc/17216/wh...at-does-it-do/

So why would even Theta think about adding an EQ ? I think they have give us all we need. But I admit it's not easy to adjust the settings without using the Crystal PC Editor.

Maybe a mic as a guide to the already implemented parameters ?
But I think there exist cheap PC programs that actually do that ?

In the end I like to add that it seems to me that when you guys compare Theta, Lexicon, Denon etc., I think at least you have to discuss the sonic performance without using HDMI. Only then the comparison are fair. The sonic abilities lays in the DAC. The HDMI input is only giving the DAC a better signal to work with. And of cause then the other equipment sounds better until Theta starts the HDMI upgrade. My I also add that I think $5000 is to expensive, but if Theta really have to change the power supply as well It might make sense in some way. Still it would be interesting to understand why the PS has to be changed ?

Looking forward to some facts and opinion regarding room correction.
Can we hope for even a statement from Theta ?
post #375 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In my opinion, Theta won't be adding room correction to the CB3 for a practical reason - the CB3 has its own high end architecture and custom software. Its not using a platform sold to various companies and then used in their own surround processors. The cost of custom adding room correction would be prohibitively expensive. We will likely never ever see it with the CB3. Maybe with Theta's next generation of surround processors some years down the line, but that generation will not necessarily be the "higher" quality of this generation.

THe super flexible crossover, phase etc of the CB3 do make a sonic difference. I have heard it changing these parameters. But I won't say that room correction isn't helpful to many folks. I've got a top notch dedicated designed room with acoustic treatments (Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers, etc) and sure I'd like some room correction to try but not by doing extra DA and AD conversions.

Folks just gotta look at features and determine whats important to them sound, build and pricewise.

As for existing CB3 owners - assuming that the upgrade does come down,
my Theta DEaler (Hi Craig) informs me that he is gonna give swinging discounts to his existing customers so they can hopefully better afford the HDMI 1.3 upgrade.The upgrade still won't be cheap, but not being as costly will certainly be helpful.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #376 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

In my opinion, Theta won't be adding room correction to the CB3 for a practical reason - the CB3 has its own high end architecture and custom software. Its not using a platform sold to various companies and then used in their own surround processors.

Thought they were using a Momentum Data Systems platform. Doesn't mean the software isn't somewhat or largely proprietary -- I assume this is what's taking so long -- but doesn't eliminate RC as I believe other MDS based systems have it.
post #377 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM

The start of this thread had a lot of HDMI 1.4

Found some interesting facts here:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...1_4_faq.aspx#2

Can older HDMI (v.1.0 - 1.3) devices be firmware-upgraded to take advantage of the new features introduced in HDMI 1.4?

Probably not. Most of the new features introduced in HDMI 1.4 will require a new HDMI chip to enable, and cannot be upgraded via firmware.

So I suppose the Theta HDMI will at least comply with some of the HDMI 1.4 !
Quote:
# 4K x 2K Resolution Support

The new specification enables HDMI devices to support extremely high HD resolutions, effectively four times the resolution of a 1080p device. Support for 4K x 2K allows the HDMI interface to transmit digital content at the same resolution as the state-of-the-art Digital Cinema systems used in many movie theaters.

However if Theta turn the CBIII into a high end networkplayer; that would be something

The link even suggest when we should expect the first products.
post #378 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

Thought they were using a Momentum Data Systems platform. Doesn't mean the software isn't somewhat or largely proprietary -- I assume this is what's taking so long -- but doesn't eliminate RC as I believe other MDS based systems have it.

Momentum Data Systems is revising/rewriting the existing CB3 firmware to accomodate HDMI 1.3.

I would think they could add some sort of room correction in the software, but this will mean further delays and further costs and I think its clear that Theta Digital has indicated they don't consider this economically feasible as they've given no indication of interest in this for the CB3.

post #379 of 501 Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

and sure I'd like some room correction to try but not by doing extra DA and AD conversions.

Since you have an Integra that supports Audyssey Pro, try that and you will be able to determine if room correction buys you anything.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #380 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As I have said for some time, HDMI 1.4 is going to be a game changer... Not just 3-D gaming / films, but 4K and internet over HDMI. THere are limitless possibilities of added functionality with such. Auto aspect control for a masking system would be one..

HDMI 1.4 is what is keeping me from a new SSP and plasmas in the house.

Theta's best move would be to further hold off and go for a state of the art HDMI 1.4 pre-pro and enter the SSP game at the top rather than spending so much time and resources to bring HDMI 1.3 to the patient Theta CBIII owners on the cusp of delivery of HDMI 1.4.

The HDMI 1.3 ship has left years ago but HDMI 1.4 is just coming to port!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #381 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Steve

My point is that the CBIII has all the room correction you need. And better than all competitors.
Read the manual: http://thetadigital.com/downloads/Th...s%20manual.pdf

Room correction, a phrase Theta not use, probably with a very good reason, is mainly needed for the lower frequencies. not for the whole spectrum.

And there is also an EQ function as well in addition.
"Shelf EQ
Pressing button # 3 will allow the user to adjust the EQ setting to OFF, 1, 2, 3 or 4. This is a low pass shelf EQ that, at 2KHz, drops by 1.5dB when the parameter value is set at 1, 3dB when set at 2, 6dB when set at 3, and
9dB when set at 4. The EQ is active in all modes and is designed to roll off excessive brightness in different program material."

Also there are different adjustments to be done whether you are using DD, DTS, or Circle Surround. I would expect for the HDMI we can add the new formats as well.

Are these adjustments possible with other "room correction" units ? And is it possible to do in real time?, which I consider as very important.

Also notice that the manual suggest you to use a SPL-Meter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_level_meter, so there is the mic option as well implemented by Theta. And if I understand this correctly, the only reason for using a mic, is to adjust level. http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm
http://www.techlore.com/article/1003...-an-SPL-Meter/

Regarding "EQ settings":
Have you ever played with the different modes that CBIII offers ?
After setting the CBIII correctly, you have a lot of options / settings to use, that will provide you with different results.

I would not expect that any of the other manufacturers today would offer you a real time callibration / room correction / EQ adjustment when playing a DD or DTS (or the new formats). Or am I wrong in my assumptions ?
I have not read the competitors manual, but are they as an example suggesting that you play a DD or DTS signal when setting up your system ? (As Theta does).

I'm sure some of you guys know much more about setting up a surround system than I do. I think we, or at least me, need to understand what the different manufactures offers, and probably understand what Theta offers, is superior to the rest.

I like to se some technical arguments her stating options not available to CBIII owners, and why they should be available.
post #382 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

As I have said for some time, HDMI 1.4 is going to be a game changer... Not just 3-D gaming / films, but 4K and internet over HDMI. THere are limitless possibilities of added functionality with such. Auto aspect control for a masking system would be one..

HDMI 1.4 is what is keeping me from a new SSP and plasmas in the house.

Theta's best move would be to further hold off and go for a state of the art HDMI 1.4 pre-pro and enter the SSP game at the top rather than spending so much time and resources to bring HDMI 1.3 to the patient Theta CBIII owners on the cusp of delivery of HDMI 1.4.

The HDMI 1.3 ship has left years ago but HDMI 1.4 is just coming to port!

Jeff:

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a Theta defender but it seems that HDMI 1.4 will be video, Ethernet, and other control info, and not audio change over 1.3 so I see no reason to run those through a audio processor. I would rather deal with 1.4 outside of the audio processor either through my video processor or directly to my projector
post #383 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

I would not expect that any of the other manufacturers today would offer you a real time callibration / room correction / EQ adjustment when playing a DD or DTS (or the new formats). Or am I wrong in my assumptions ?

You are wrong. Many do.

Quote:

I have not read the competitors manual, but are they as an example suggesting that you play a DD or DTS signal when setting up your system ? (As Theta does).

I have not read the Theta manual (nor do I intend to) but let me say that, while Theta offers some interesting and unusual options (from your description), it simply does not offer any useful "Room EQ." Taking your earlier quote about the greater significance of such EQ for the low frequencies, you might also note that the corrections should go beyond merely correcting the magnitude/frequency response and address room effects specifically.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #384 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Since you have an Integra that supports Audyssey Pro, try that and you will be able to determine if room correction buys you anything.

Since this system is tailored for cost-no-object purchasers, another option would be using it along with an outside board from Audyssey. I heard those units provide even more resolution.
post #385 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Kal

Quote:

You are wrong. Many do.

Tanks for that. The statement of mine actually came from a retailer, and importer of the Meridian here in Norway. And I was not sure if I should believe him. He claims only the new Yamaha has this option.

Would you happen to have examples of products that offer this option ?

Just by reading here http://stereophile.com/musicintheround/706mitr/
and then follow your link to http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_pape...ection_scr.pdf I've already learned things that make me believe Theta (and Meridian) are doing things correctly with respect to room correction. Low frequencies is what to focus on.

Andreas
post #386 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kal

Tanks for that. The statement of mine actually came from a retailer. And I was not sure if I should believe him. He claims only the new Yamaha has this option.

Would you happen to have examples of products that offer this option ?

Andreas

Audyssey, TacT, Neptune, ARC,...................................

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #387 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I like to se some technical arguments her stating options not available to CBIII owners, and why they should be available.

Anre,
my recommendation....loose the arrogance and the confrontational tone given your ignorance on this matter.
I am a CBIII owner. The software allows for the selection of three different crossovers mainly for subwoofer integration. Choosing the right crossover helps, but to really tame room issues, you still need a parametric equalizer such as the Behringer DSP1124P. The EQ shelf is just a joke and I would never use it.
I have set aside my CBIII and the equalizer since the purchase of the Integra 9.8 pre/pro.
post #388 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

Anre,
my recommendation....loose the arrogance and the confrontational tone given your ignorance on this matter.
I am a CBIII owner. The software allows for the selection of three different crossovers mainly for subwoofer integration. Choosing the right crossover helps, but to really tame room issues, you still need a parametric equalizer such as the Behringer DSP1124P. The EQ shelf is just a joke and I would never use it.
I have set aside my CBIII and the equalizer since the purchase of the Integra 9.8 pre/pro.

+!

It seems you don't have a grasp of the difference between room correction and crossovers. As Kal and others have mentioned, if you want true room correction, you must look past the CBIII.

post #389 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Jeff:

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a Theta defender but it seems that HDMI 1.4 will be video, Ethernet, and other control info, and not audio change over 1.3 so I see no reason to run those through a audio processor. I would rather deal with 1.4 outside of the audio processor either through my video processor or directly to my projector

I agree. That said, lossless audio must be delivered via HDMI and with HDCP issues, simply splitting it off has been problematic in the past. Moreover, SSPs can clip whites, blacks, etc even if acting as a pass through. I tried to do so with a HDMI splitter, etc and ran into numerous handshake issues. Perhaps and internet connection can open a different avenue (or make it worse)!!

post #390 of 501 Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Moreover, SSPs can clip whites, blacks, etc even if acting as a pass through. (or make it worse)!!

Exactly, that is why it is best keep video out of the SSP....
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page