post #481 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

Interesting reading, not sure how old this is, but maybe it tells us how innovative Theta was at one point.
But even if the product had exist, it would not have have mulit channel S/PDIF input, like 4xS/PDIF, similar to a modified Oppo from Custom HT.

Yes, it is old but presumably there was some development work accomplished for even the prototypes.

And the preamp had 4xS/PDIF outputs while the power amp had 2xS/PDIF inputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

Hate to argue with fellow faithful but how can putting the CB out without all the features the competition has make business sense? They're spending a rather large amount on a piece that non-Theta luver's won't get. And no I don't see Onkyo as the competition but rather Classe, Krell, Sim Audio and others of that ilk.

Classe, Krell and Sim don't have RC either. And yeah, he's biased, but Boz at Tact really talked me out of having any interest in using PEQ in a processor.

Having said that, not having RC will be a deal breaker for some.
post #483 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Read the feature list for Sim Audio CP-8: http://www.simaudio.com/mooncp8.htm

Same for Classe SSP-800: http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/detail-ssp-800.htm

The Classe isn't automatic but I don't see that as an issue. Knock down the nastiest peaks with parametric EQ and leave the rest alone.

FWIW I suspect room correction was something some marketing type came up with to sound different from EQ. Either way it won't fix early reflections and other such room anomalies.

Les
post #484 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

FWIW I suspect room correction was something some marketing type came up with to sound different from EQ. Either way it won't fix early reflections and other such room anomalies.

There is a HUGE difference between analog or digital frequency based EQ (parametric or otherwise) and time domain digital room correction as performed (for example) in the Tact. While the results in the very lowest frequencies may be similar that is where the similarities end.

The Tact does indeed deal with early reflections. In fact, that is exactly how it works.

You may want to do some research on how the Tact (and other similar products) operate. They are NOT frequency based EQ systems (tho the Tact does offer that as an add on to some of it's products).
post #485 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I stand corrected on the Sim and should have caught that knowing it's based on the Denon platform. And yes, as noted above EQ is a different ballgame from RC.
post #486 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

If the TACT and others of that ilk are playing enough with the signal to handle early reflections etc I'd have more than a little concern about the end results. EQ I can accept. The kind of signal manipulation to cancel out reflections well that will take a bit of convincing. Sounds like it would be easier to do much more harm than good. Certainly something that would take a long home trial with a guaranteed return policy.

Either way sounds like I've got some reading to do.

Les
post #487 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I would never do a theater without room correction. I don't even know of a reference theater without it? After installing my QSC DSPs in my theater, the improvements in dynamics, bass and intelligibility were pretty staggering. The Tact had piqued my interest as the Trinnov / ADA combo. Can't wait to see how these pan out.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #488 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I may have missed something in reading the TACT technology info but it looks like they are correcting entirely in the frequency domain instead of time domain. Basically an equalizer flattening the room response or modes but doing nothing to cancel out early first reflections from floor, ceiling and sidewalls that arrive just long enough after the direct signal to smear the sound. Just as well, this kind of thing is better handled by diffusers IMO.

Les
post #489 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the TACT and others of that ilk are playing enough with the signal to handle early reflections etc I'd have more than a little concern about the end results. EQ I can accept. The kind of signal manipulation to cancel out reflections well that will take a bit of convincing. Sounds like it would be easier to do much more harm than good. Certainly something that would take a long home trial with a guaranteed return policy.

Either way sounds like I've got some reading to do.

I put some very good preamps in front of my ATC active 20s/REL sub combo that's in a difficult room that I can't treat. They all disappointed, the Tact Mini w/its RC did the trick.
post #490 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If I'm reading correctly what the TACT or any of the other pieces with RC are doing is something that's difficult to correct with treatment. Room modes are driven by the dimensions of the room. Absorption can be challenging to implement when trying to reduce a low frequency standing wave. RC or EQ can help with this on at least the peaks. Trying to raise a null can be like trying to fill in a black hole, however.

I'm certainly not arguing against the benefits of RC. Just that it isn't a panacea for every issue. If TACT is working in the time domain it certainly isn't obvious from the info on their website. All they talk of is correcting the in room frequency response and the matching of the speakers to smooth the crossover regions. Of course it's entirely possible that they've dumbed it down to protect me from myself.

Les
post #491 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Les,

Room Correction is not a substitute for conventional acoustical treatments. You have to have an ideal space and room acoustical treatments first in order to get the optimum benefit of TACT. TACT et al simply fine tune what is already improved from conventional room treatments, it is not one stop shopping for ideal freq response and reverb time in a poor environment..

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #492 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed on the above. Only thing I'd add is that such units can be tremendously useful in rooms that you can't treat, even moreso than the ones you can
post #493 of 501 Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, I think that's what I've been saying, "Just that it isn't a panacea for every issue." and had said previously. RC can smooth out the room response but won't handle reverb, first reflections arriving just late enough to smear the sound and all the other nasties that take proper room design and treatment.

RC does make a nice first step for those for which treatment isn't possible. And it does some things much easier than moving walls to correct standing waves. At least partially.

Of course ideal room can be more than a challenge. Not all of us can go out and have a bespoke room done. Love to do it but I'd have to use an iPod and dock for the next 10 years or so to pay for it. Assuming I stay employed in this administration.

And I'm starting to be sorry I started this fuss even though I still believe Theta is going to have to add EQ or RC to compete properly.

Les
post #494 of 501 Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 AM

Liked: 11
post #495 of 501 Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I think Theta pretty much has a captive audience for HDMI upgrade from Existing Theta owners even at $5000, assuming that the right dacs are already existing.

However at $8750 for chassis plus 2 extreme dac cards for $10,000, the CB3 is at almost $19,000 without the HDMI upgrade, so it appears pretty sure that this upgrade is it for the CB3.

I tried to impress upon the original owners of the company that if they did not offer a "sale" on the Superior II and Xtreme dacs to get guys to buy them in advance, this would happen. Theta would find itself in a position where a single upgrade would cost too much for an owner without the proper dacs. I hope that even though it may not be feasible now, the current owners left open the possibility of adding parametric EQ to the CBIII. This depends of which platform they chose. If the upgrade program to HDMI is a sucess, EQ could be offer down the road. I know they currently have NO PLANS to offer any kind of room correction.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #496 of 501 Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

any recent news on a release date?
post #497 of 501 Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

nice thread.
post #498 of 501 Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leogansky View Post

nice thread.

Are we "--sky"s related? HA!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #499 of 501 Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey Steve, your signature[" HAAAAAA!"] is getting shorter. What's going on?
post #500 of 501 Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Hey Steve, your signature[" HAAAAAA!"] is getting shorter. What's going on?

Shorters in for high end audio, better sonics!!!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #501 of 501 Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve:

In the upcoming spirit of giving among both our faiths, I thought I'd give you a gift. A template for upcoming events.

Just copy this:

Quote:

--------: Theta digital news!!!@@@

Then, just fill in the blanks for the event. Here, I'll do it for you for the next event:

Quote:

CES 2010: Theta digital news!!!@@@

Use it in good health!

But my sincere wishes are for you to enjoy the holiday.

Thanks,

Nick
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page