post #1 of 66 Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.avguide.com/article/bryst...s?src=Playback

Sounds intriguing.

If Theta Digital doesn't come through with my HDMI 1.3 audio upgrade for my Theta CB3, and if I wanted to go to a new surround processor (IF),
this might be worthwhile.

Also sounds like its multi-channel analog input might be nice quality as well.

I owned five Bryston 7B monoblocs for ten years. Built like a tank. 20 year warranty. No company has better or quicker service than Bryston. Digital components have a 5 year warranty.

Interesting.

Oriiginally Bryston had a prototype at CEDIA 2008 noting availability 1st quarter 2009. Apparently that has slipped.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Br...ith_HDMI.shtml

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 124
While I was a HUGE Theta proponent for years and years years and (have owned a bunch of their DACs, CB I, CBII), and loved them all, they have (for me) lost credibility based upon their lack of delivery of an HDMI solution when virtually all of the other high end (as well as mid-fi) companies have done so. I have owned (and still do) lots of Bryston gear as well and it is always great stuff. If I were in the market for a new high end Pre-pro Bryston would be on the very short list.
post #3 of 66 Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Steve, you may also want to have a look at the Arcam AV888. Im using 2, and 2 AVR600s. Sonically, they are truly exceptional. I tried the 888 with Bryston multi channel and monoblocs and cant speak highly enough. This then made me try with the AVR600, results were the same.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #4 of 66 Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am in a holding pattern for the Theta CB3 HDMI upgrade. But for someone needing a completely new HDMI 1.3 "audiophile" surround processor, Bryston merits being considered. Arcam too.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #5 of 66 Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If I wasn't in the same holding pattern, I'd add ADA to the above list. If nothing by CES, I'll likely eat what I payed for my used CBIII and move on.
post #6 of 66 Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM

The best processor available right now is the simaudio cp-8. I replaced my Halcro with this unit and it works and sounds great. I know it cost a lot, but work some deals in this economy. This is by for the best unit made at the moment.
post #7 of 66 Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc828 View Post

The best processor available right now is the simaudio cp-8. I replaced my Halcro with this unit and it works and sounds great. I know it cost a lot, but work some deals in this economy. This is by for the best unit made at the moment.

If you can find one.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 66 Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Krell Evolution 808
post #9 of 66 Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

The Classe also should be on the list.
I am impressed by the number of HDMI inputs (8) on the Bryston. No mention of any room correction however.
post #10 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 AM

You can follow the Bryston SP3.0 updates in the link here- Bryston's no BS communication policy is refreshing.

Cheers,
Kishore
post #11 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd love to see a "shoot out" between the Sim, Bryston, Classe, and Krell 707 units.

Unless Meridian replaces the 861v4 with a much upgraded v5 very soon, which I highly doubt, then one of those new contenders will be among my new year purchases.
post #12 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Didn't see the SP3 at the Bryston site... link? Where is it?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #13 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

I'd love to see a "shoot out" between the Sim, Bryston, Classe, and Krell 707 units.

Unless Meridian replaces the 861v4 with a much upgraded v5 very soon, which I highly doubt, then one of those new contenders will be among my new year purchases.

Just curious as I am contemplating an 861 purchase. If you run 5.1 and have the HD621 for HDMI what do you expect 861V5 to offer over what is already vailable?
post #14 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Just curious as I am contemplating an 861 purchase. If you run 5.1 and have the HD621 for HDMI what do you expect 861V5 to offer over what is already vailable?

Latest Codecs for BluRay, so that decoding happens in processor not in player

Would be nice to have Audyssey or better PEQ, which would allow me to get rid of an external Audyssy box. MRC is very long in the tooth

Video processing would be nice, which would allow me to get rid of a separate video processing box.

More subs. I run three, separately PEQ'd

Ability to have multiple "profiles" which the Classe offers. I can do this in the 861, but I have to have my laptop and Mconfig attached to do it.

Better clock and power supply. The architecture is sound, but the world of clocks has gotten three orders of magnitude better over the years. (861v4 does use a lot of buffering, but that doesn't replace a great clock.)
post #15 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

Latest Codecs for BluRay, so that decoding happens in processor not in player

Would be nice to have Audyssey or better PEQ, which would allow me to get rid of an external Audyssy box. MRC is very long in the tooth

Video processing would be nice, which would allow me to get rid of a separate video processing box.

More subs. I run three, separately PEQ'd

Ability to have multiple "profiles" which the Classe offers. I can do this in the 861, but I have to have my laptop and Mconfig attached to do it.

Better clock and power supply. The architecture is sound, but the world of clocks has gotten three orders of magnitude better over the years. (861v4 does use a lot of buffering, but that doesn't replace a great clock.)

Hmm, I guess we all have different needs. I use a Lumagen Radiance and thus I definitely do not want video processing in my audio processor. Based on what I have read about Bob Stuarts feelings I do not believe that they will ever integrate video and audio into one box.

I'm using an external NeptuneEQ so full range integral EQ would be nice only if the application absolutely trounces my current system.

The clock, power supply, and removal of the need to use a PC would be nice.

From what I've read whether the codecs are decoded in the processor or sent via HDMI to the HD621 the sound quality should be equivalent. I haven't read about anyone faulting Meridian's implementation with the audio common modes.
post #16 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Buy Canadian, we need your money.

I was never really too impressed with the older 4B amps. They were nice, but nothing majorly fancy. The later stuff including the above sure looks great.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #17 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Buy Canadian, we need your money.

I was never really too impressed with the older 4B amps. They were nice, but nothing majorly fancy. The later stuff including the above sure looks great.

We need our money here more. If this healthcare garbage passes, there will be no more participants in the $20K forum able to afford $20K stuff!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #18 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

We need our money here more. If this healthcare garbage passes, there will be no more participants in the $20K forum able to afford $20K stuff!!

It ain't gonna pass!!! Events past few days I think are gonna make some blue Democrats vote red!!@@@

Half of the folks hangin' round here don't even have $20K systems. They're here to talk to Curt!!

post #19 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious to know how you came to this conclusion?

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #20 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

I'm curious to know how you came to this conclusion?

He probably owns it. Most owners of anything think their's is the best!! Where have you been??

post #21 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

He probably owns it. Most owners of anything think their's is the best!! Where have you been??

my babies not ugly!

post #22 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had the byston SP2 and I thought it was nice. I currently own the ssp-800 from classe. I spoke to James Tanner for quite a while at CES this year. he's a great guy. I think the bryston SP3 will be a strong competitor to the ssp-800. they are using similar boards and technology.

products like the ssp-800 and sp3 make ones like the krell, ML503, and sim offerings hard to justify the extra cost.

post #23 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM

I had the Halcro from the start. Great unit with some problems until they came out with the 220. I auditioned the classe and the simaudio. To me there was a good difference between the two. I much preferred the cp-8. I was amazed at the audio quality and the unit just works. Everything about it is first class. I know there are other units that cost less(this is not a case of wanting to buy the most expensive) just wanted what sounded best to me. I thought the Halcro sounded great for years, but in comparison to the sim it is hollow and a very digital sound. I have found something better at least for me and I'm happy.
post #24 of 66 Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had the Halcro from the start. Great unit with some problems until they came out with the 220. I auditioned the classe and the simaudio. To me there was a good difference between the two. I much preferred the cp-8. I was amazed at the audio quality and the unit just works. Everything about it is first class. I know there are other units that cost less(this is not a case of wanting to buy the most expensive) just wanted what sounded best to me. I thought the Halcro sounded great for years, but in comparison to the sim it is hollow and a very digital sound. I have found something better at least for me and I'm happy.

If you thought the Halcro sounded great for years and then it turned hollow and digital sounding, I think that is more an indictment of your senses than adding a new toy to your system! No different than scoring a hot piece of ass then tiring of her a few weeks down the road 'til the new next clam comes around. I get it... you like your new piece.

post #25 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if everyone liked the same thing, there would be no need for different brands.

post #26 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM

I agree. Each to his own. Jeff if you have a chance to listen to cp-8 do it. You may end up agreeing with me. There is just something missing from the Halcro, or maybe I'm just getting older and my hearing is changing or both.
post #27 of 66 Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree. Each to his own. Jeff if you have a chance to listen to cp-8 do it. You may end up agreeing with me. There is just something missing from the Halcro, or maybe I'm just getting older and my hearing is changing or both.

I will. I'll still use my Halcro for the time being. I just have to think that there is some mega changes coming to processors in the near future... be it HDMI 1.4, audiophile grade room correction, etc. Forunately, the Halcro SSP-200 still sounds good to me... but I will still have one eye open. Glad to know there are pieces out there that are moving up sonically. Sounds like you are digging your new piece. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Halcro is the be all, end all... it is just working for me right now.

post #28 of 66 Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
As a small BRYSTON dealer I certainly like hearing positive comments. I place a lot of it with my clients.

Regarding why it is not on the BRYSTON website yet; It has not been released and we are still awaiting word when that will occur.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #29 of 66 Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
Talked to Bryston rep and dealer on Sat. Dealer in Toronto had a preview model (the only one in existence). They said Mid Dec for 1st production model and 1 (one) in the store by early Jan.
2 Models
The 1st model will be audio only with only video switching est. CAN$9500 (=USD$9500).
The 2nd model will have video processing..
post #30 of 66 Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisT View Post

Talked to Bryston rep and dealer on Sat. Dealer in Toronto had a preview model (the only one in existence). They said Mid Dec for 1st production model and 1 (one) in the store by early Jan.
2 Models
The 1st model will be audio only with only video switching est. CAN$9500 (=USD$9500).
The 2nd model will have video processing..

WOW! A year from the last post in this thread to the current post. So Bryston is finally coming out with their HDMI SSP. My bet is that it will be an excellent performer in its price class!

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page