ADA Mach 4......WOW!!!! - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2135 Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your comments after the comparison will be appreciated...My understanding was that the Reference was Match IV with 2 TEQ Trinnov 8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2135 Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not exactly, though the Reference does contain a Rhapsody and a Trinnov- it is a 16 channel Trinnov; not 2x TEQ8. There is a distinct difference in processors and DAC/ ADC used (they are Trinnov, not ADA). I don't need to wait for any comparison, I know the differences, I've experienced them. The comparison is for the client to decide between the two options.

All connections between ADA/Trinnov are digital internally. It is a truly clean sound.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1443 of 2135 Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The difference between an
MPA 7500 and a PTM 7150
Is only in terms of power or
In quality of sound as well?

With my klipsch I couldn't use
All the power of the mpa 7500..
But I wonder if at a medium volume level
(I mean the power My speakers can work with)
I could note a difference vs the PTM 7150
For example more dynamic or whatelse?
post #1444 of 2135 Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Dan,

Curious, as I ponder whether to i) stand still [keep my Cinema Rhapsody MACH IV B + QSC 922uz combination] ii) move to the TEQ-12 [keep my Cinema Rhapsody MACH IV B but add a TEQ-12] or iii) move to the Cinema Reference [a.k.a. the bank account killer] I would appreciate some answers to the following:

TEQ-12

1. Can / is the unit's firmware be upgraded via a software upload over ethernet, USB, etc. without having to return the unit to ADA.

2. Can / will the unit's firmware be upgraded as Trinnov's firmware evolves?

Cinema Reference

1. Can / is the unit's be firmware upgraded via a software upload over ethernet, USB, etc. without having to return the unit to ADA.

2. Can / will the unit's hardware be upgradable for things such as HDMI 1.5, etc. because it is -- at least for me -- somewhat cost prohibitive to face the possibility of having to replace the unit in the next year or so [because the hardware standards are evolving so rapidly]?

Much appreciated and look forward to meeting you in 2 weeks' time.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #1445 of 2135 Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Joel,

Trinnov software is updated via the network connection- through Trinnov's server. This is true for both the TEQs and the Reference. It should be clarified that these devices are distinctly ADA side and Trinnov side. The Reference in particular is treated like a Rhapsody and a Trinnov processor in one chassis- there's the ADA setup software to handle the soundtrack processing options , and there's the Trinnov processing for loudspeaker setup and room optimization, levels,etc.

As for HDMI 1.5: if it requires a new input board (like the HDMI 1.4 did), then the unit has to be shipped back to ADA in White Plains.

The last ADA firmware change I had to deal with was on one of the first Suite 7.1HDs; that needed to be done at ADA as well.

I too am looking forward to seeing what your reaction is to the Trinnov technology and the differences between the combo and the Reference.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1446 of 2135 Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

Joel,

Trinnov software is updated via the network connection- through Trinnov's server. This is true for both the TEQs and the Reference. It should be clarified that these devices are distinctly ADA side and Trinnov side. The Reference in particular is treated like a Rhapsody and a Trinnov processor in one chassis- there's the ADA setup software to handle the soundtrack processing options , and there's the Trinnov processing for loudspeaker setup and room optimization, levels,etc.

As for HDMI 1.5: if it requires a new input board (like the HDMI 1.4 did), then the unit has to be shipped back to ADA in White Plains.

The last ADA firmware change I had to deal with was on one of the first Suite 7.1HDs; that needed to be done at ADA as well.

I too am looking forward to seeing what your reaction is to the Trinnov technology and the differences between the combo and the Reference.

Dan

Dan:

Just to drill down a little deeper into the reference side of things:

1. As far as hardware is concerned what else other that the video board is somewhat future proofed in that it can be swapped out?

2. As far as the firmware is concerned are you saying that the firmware CAN NOT be upgraded over cat-5, USB, etc. but would need to be sent back to ADA for a chip change?

Thanks...

Joel
post #1447 of 2135 Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

In a Reference, the major "wild card" input board is the HDMI- if that technology changes or gets replaced, that would be the most likely candidate for swap. The analog input board is very unlikely to need replacement since those are standard connections. The analog output boards are also unlikely to be replaced, though they could be if there were the need for a different technology.

Essentially, the entire Reference is a series of boards and is pretty modular.

I'll have to contact ADA to get their official stance on this particular device and future upgrades, I don't want to speculate.

The last firmware change I experienced required the replacement of a chip- and needed to be done at ADA that was in 2006/2007 when the first Suite 7.1HDs were being shipped-out. I cannot be certain if that design has persisted in the current models...I'll ask ADA about it.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1448 of 2135 Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Essentially, the entire Reference is a series of boards and is pretty modular.

I'll have to contact ADA to get their official stance on this particular device and future upgrades, I don't want to speculate.
I cannot be certain if that design has persisted in the current models...I'll ask ADA about it.

Dan

Dan:

Much appreciated noting that I look forward to the response as I would think [and hope] that the Reference's firmware would be software upgradeable at that price point...

Very much looking forward to meeting with you...

Joel
post #1449 of 2135 Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 PM

I was wondering how we, the customers would know that there was a Firm/ Software update? There is not much info on ADA's site...
post #1450 of 2135 Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

your dealer; that priceless asset that resides between the consumer and ADA.

Most often, firmware changes don't hit the radar until there's an issue that pops up. In the case of my Suite7.1HD customer, we began to have funky HDMI handshake issues that were causing some other weird behavior, ADA informed me that there was newer firmware for the HDMI board. We sent the unit in and haven't had a problem since.

.....now if only Directv would stop making changes in these mandatory downloads and screwing up my Savant profile....

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1451 of 2135 Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Personally I can't see ADA suddenly changing to user enabled software updates when their primary focus for the product is CI. Why would a small company go to the extra trouble and expense of developing a user friendly software update for the tiny amount of people who would want it?

Don't get me wrong I would like that feature but the products aren't really aimed at end users.

Adam
post #1452 of 2135 Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Personally I can't see ADA suddenly changing to user enabled software updates when their primary focus for the product is CI. Why would a small company go to the extra trouble and expense of developing a user friendly software update for the tiny amount of people who would want it?

Don't get me wrong I would like that feature but the products aren't really aimed at end users.

Adam

Allow me to start by noting that I am a HUGE fan of ADA...I have owned Integra, Lexicon x 3, Meridian, Tag McLaren x 2 and others and can say that I am happiest with ADA...

Now, with that out of the way:

1. I think it is an important feature to attract new customers because for those who compare feature sets this is an obvious omission...and, to your point about reliance on CIs, I would much prefer to have the CI do an upgrade via a software upgrade than a chip replacement just as meridian now forces [i.e. no need to take the unit out of the rack, no need to rip it open, no need to wait for the Ci arrive, etc. because all you need to do is connect th unit to your internal network setup a VPN tunnel and your done!].

2. I think that with the rapid rate at which technology advances it would be "comforting to know" that glitches can be easily fixed...this is not necessarily the case at present.

3. And, in those rare instances that a unit has to be sent to the factory it is not fun having i) no replacement unit ii) a replacement unit that needs to have the Crestron system reprogrammed or iii) etc.

Thanks...

Joel
post #1453 of 2135 Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't disagree with any of that and certainly don't speak for them, just my thoughts on it.

Adam
post #1454 of 2135 Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 AM

I wouldn't agree more with Joel. If the customer lives in NY may be is OK. But there are customers all over the world. Some live in smaller, isolated cities. If they have to send the units to NY everytime an upgrade/ update is needed it is going to create a great amount of stress and anxiety, not to mention the additional costs - packiging, shipping, insurance..I cannnot imagine to have the Reference and the idea I have to ship it from Australia to NY....I don't even want to think about this... I really hope that ADA will come with some practical solution. If other companies can do updates over internet, why not ADA?
We love the sound which the units reproduce but it seems that the anguish of support continues.
post #1455 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
QUESTION

Got my ADA back from ADA with new software. All settings are at default. Saved my settings but cannot load my old PROM. Using wifi. Able to load settings.

Using the latest ADA firmware. When I power up my Mach IV, it doesn't automatically download my ADA settings, input names, etc to my Macbook. I have to find the file and load it. I can control it with the software. Unless I am mistaken, I thought that the software would automatically load the current settings when fired up.. Am I correct?

If so, what do I need to do to get the ADA to automatically download my custom settings to my Macbook when I fire up the software??

Can't recall the trick to get it to work.

Any help??

Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1456 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

What did you have done to your ADA? If it was a firmware upgrade that required a hardware change, then do not try loading an old EPROM.

You should have been advised to write down all your settings before sending it away and entering them again manually via the software. I was warned not you try using an old EPROM in case it corrupts the (possibly) incompatible new hardware chip.

It all depends on what you have had changed of course. Best speak to ADA.

Adam
post #1457 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Jeff, with what firmware did you update? Was it necessary the update?

This is what makes me annoyed, why we have to learn updates/ upgrades from forums? Why ADA doesn't put a note on the website?
post #1458 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post

Jeff, with what firmware did you update? Was it necessary the update?

This is what makes me annoyed, why we have to learn updates/ upgrades from forums? Why ADA doesn't put a note on the website?

I had a very old firmware as I was an original purchaser. There was a PEQ issue with the initial run. I'm sure your newer unit is unaffected.. So, I sent it out before I left on vacation. I've known about the potential issue for over a year but it never effected me or ever caused an issue. I simply updated now as I was going to be away from home... otherwise I may've never bothered. ADA turned it around fast as it was waiting for me when I got home - shipped, updated and returned in less than a week. Your dealer should advise you on critical updates. Not an issue at all - and as an early adopter, I am used to it!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1459 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

What did you have done to your ADA? If it was a firmware upgrade that required a hardware change, then do not try loading an old EPROM.

You should have been advised to write down all your settings before sending it away and entering them again manually via the software. I was warned not you try using an old EPROM in case it corrupts the (possibly) incompatible new hardware chip.

It all depends on what you have had changed of course. Best speak to ADA.

Adam

No, I was able to reload my saved PROM successfully and the settings file successfully as well.

I have a different question: When I connect via my Macbook, and power on the Mach IV, I have to reload the settings on my Macbook so that my Macbook has the same settings as the ADA. I can't recall if the software remembered my settings (or automatically downloaded them from the ADA automatically) or if I had to reload. It's been so long since I've bothered inputting info. It is truly a 'set it and forget it' device.

Anyways, is it my memory or should the software show your input names, settings, etc when you start the software program?

post #1460 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hit the " send/receive all " button when you boot the program- then they talk to each other and your states/settings should be reloaded to the laptop.

The default screen has an info block in the lower left corner: that changes when the two devices talk to each other.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1461 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hit the " send/receive all " button when you boot the program- then they talk to each other and your states/settings should be reloaded to the laptop.

The default screen has an info block in the lower left corner: that changes when the two devices talk to each other.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I tried that (booting up the software, loading the file, and hitting SEND ALL). It loads all my settings but if I close out the software and then reboot, I see the software defaults - not my own settings. I have to reload. I can control things fine after that and fully control the processor but it is not loading the settings automatically when I boot up the software. When I change the volume on the software, I can see the change on the Mach IV.

Do I need to hit some other buttons, UPDATE ALL or something else to get the these to talk?

Not doing the 2way automatically when booting up.

I attached the default page (left) when I boot up and the other page is after I am communicating. I tried UPDATE ALL but no luck.

I'm wondering if I have to reconfigure the ISO-E or something... Possible? Some sort of firewall? Note the Lower Left corner as you mentioned above. What can I do to remedy this on strait up?

Thanks!

EDIT: Noticed a something new on the Mach IV display. DOLBY VOLUME... What is that?

Jeff
LL
LL

post #1462 of 2135 Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Jeff,

What I have noticed is that every time you reboot the software you have to "retrieve" the inputs. Othewise it always shows the default settings.

I have also noticed that you have to retrieve the settings on few places. E.g. speakers (seperately from the inputs), tones (seperately as well). When you do the changes it seems that you are doing automatic changes on the Mach but once you log off, you start the process from the beginning...

I have also noticed that if you have different PEG and tone settings for each input, you have to switch to the input to be able to see the different settings. If you change them only on the default page, you see the settings on the input which the Mach is playing, not what you changed on the default page..

Hope this helps.
post #1463 of 2135 Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hi Dan,

I tried that (booting up the software, loading the file, and hitting SEND ALL). It loads all my settings but if I close out the software and then reboot, I see the software defaults - not my own settings. I have to reload. I can control things fine after that and fully control the processor but it is not loading the settings automatically when I boot up the software. When I change the volume on the software, I can see the change on the Mach IV.

Do I need to hit some other buttons, UPDATE ALL or something else to get the these to talk?

Not doing the 2way automatically when booting up.

I attached the default page (left) when I boot up and the other page is after I am communicating. I tried UPDATE ALL but no luck.

I'm wondering if I have to reconfigure the ISO-E or something... Possible? Some sort of firewall? Note the Lower Left corner as you mentioned above. What can I do to remedy this on strait up?

Thanks!

Jeff, this is normal and how it has always worked...that is, to be clear, every time you start up the ADA software you need to either reload [as stored on your laptop] or update [as stored in the unit] your settings as their is no "auto-communication" / "auto-load"...it may be worth mentioning that this is exactly how the Meridian software worked as well on my previous 861...and, as kamenoff notes, sometimes you need to retrieve/update in multiple locations/times [i.e. the update all button does not always work]...bottom line, all is well with your unit...

Quote:

EDIT: Noticed a something new on the Mach IV display. DOLBY VOLUME... What is that?

DOLBY VOLUME is an algorithm / application that can be used to change / shape the sound in different ways based on how we, as humans, hear...search the internet and you will find explanations of the different parameters...while I have read up on it in the past and played with it extensively I find myself going back to "purist" approach and not using it at all [i.e. I watch movies with DOLBY VOLUME OFF and PLIIx MOVIE engaged to get sound out of the rear speakers]...hope this helps...

Joel
post #1464 of 2135 Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Got it... Thanks guys! My memory must be going!!

post #1465 of 2135 Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"I watch movies with DOLBY VOLUME OFF and PLIIx MOVIE engaged to get sound out of the rear speakers"

You use PLIIx to watch Blu-Ray?

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #1466 of 2135 Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

"I watch movies with DOLBY VOLUME OFF and PLIIx MOVIE engaged to get sound out of the rear speakers"

I use PLIIx for 5.1 tracks.

I use 'direct' for 7.1 tracks.

post #1467 of 2135 Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Quote:

I use PLIIx for 5.1 tracks.

I use 'direct' for 7.1 tracks.

@CCLAY, I watch exactly as thebland does because for 5.1 tracks [which, by the way, most Blu-rays are] PLIIx [or, for that matter, any other processing mode that outs 7.1 channels] is necessary to produce sound from the rear channels.

Joel
post #1468 of 2135 Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where us Dolby volume on the software?

post #1469 of 2135 Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where us Dolby volume on the software?

I have to run out with the family for a bit but call me later and I will answer your questions...

Joel
post #1470 of 2135 Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Although I have a mere 7.1hd, I like to use discrete es/ex for blu ray work. It will up mix a 5.1 to 7.1 and sounds superb.

I'll have to try the 7.1 direct on one of my few and far between 7.1 films.

For sky / TiVo I like plII movie. Again utilises all 7 main speakers.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page