post #151 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Even the Tag guys struggled with it, and that was back in S/PDIF-only days. But they succeeded.

Same with Lex, except having to fix it back in the S/PDIF days and again years later with HDMI.
Quote:

My comments should not be taken as anything but my personal warped view of the little world I inhabit. I fully respect that others view and value things differently.

My previous comment was just to point out that I was probably in a minority when it comes to the ADA's looks. FWIW, the reviewer seems to lean more towards your view:
Quote:

there is little in the design to reflect the Price tag (a positive in some cases, making it all the easier to smuggle past SWMBO) and anyone expecting the sort of finish and design touches that some manufacturers at this price point imbue (I am thinking of Arcam, Parasound Etc.) may be a little disappointed

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the look of the ADA Processors.

There is a nice video [thanks to AV Forums in the UK] on YouTube which can be easily found by searching for ADA Suite 7.1 HD with a close-up video of the ADA Suite 7.1 HD and ADA amplifiers in action in the demo room of TLC Broadcast in the UK. The ADA equipment does look really nice IMO to the extent that it should be visible rather than hidden in a rack elsewhere. But that's just my personal opinion.

I am looking forward to Jeff's thoughts once he gets his Mach IVB set-up and dialed in.
post #153 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, not to be a naysayer, if I have a balanced system, what puts this above the Classe 800. I'm asking since I am very interested, although I run all of my speakers as large, except for the center channel. According to what I've read, perhaps the Rhapsody would be a better choice. I only have HDMI inputs, and I don't listen to music through my current configuration. The killer for me seems to be that I don't have Crestron system. My control is one-way, through a unified remote. Please help me understand, since I want to like this unit wholeheartedly.

David

DES
post #154 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Personally I prefer pc set up and back up. It's fast and easy. I had to do my Halcro using the front panel controls and found it tiresome. Too many settings.

The Ada rs232 is the so robust, it's like anything I've ever seen. Nomatter how esoteric a setting, it can be adjusted directly.

The built in Eq meets my needs as well (until a Trinnov option).

I like that it is a fully brand new design. This was important to me. The piece is very forward thinking and highly supported.

I have to have THX processing, too. That was what kept me from the excellent classe.

The 2nd HDMI OUT and 8 HDMI are a bonus as well.

I like the flexibility too. Programming different volume levels to call on and setting volume level limits are great for my when kids use it. of course no limits when I'm in the theater. No worrys about blowing up the audio when I'm not around.

Setting different eq memories so I can make any chair I sit in the ideal one makes giving up my captains chair so much easier!!

and we didn't even talk the sonics from the reviewers.

It all looks first rate.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #155 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
"It all looks first rate.

We can't wait for you to get one and beta test it for us...

Dave

post #156 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Shelf filters, robust rs232 are my primarys. Sonically good is a given.

Jeff:

I will get all the filtering I need via the QSC DSPs that I am going to use...

I have looked at the RS-232 command set and it seems to be "all there" (i.e. I cannot see anything that is missing)...that said, it is a little diappointing that one needs an "add on" piece to use RS-232 command sets as this, at least to me, should be included for the price...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #157 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought Meridian's PC interface was great.

To each there own...while I was fully conversant with it it never resonated with me...with a little more thought I never liked the "bread crumb" trail approach and prefer ADA's tabbed apporach...

Quote:

The issue for me is not how well the PC interface works, but that one needs a PC at all. I think you'd agree that setting up the ADA is not realistic without a PC.

I understand your comment. I am not too pulsed by this as i) once setup it need not be tweaked that often and ii) when needed I will change the configuration most likely via my Crestron controller using the RS-232 command set...

I am not pulsed by this and view it as the tradeoff between complexity versus tweakability; that is, in general, the more tweakable, the greater the complexity...

Quote:

Setting up the SSP-800 from the touch screen is even nicer/faster than the Tag AV32R, and that creamed the 861 in terms of ease of use.

I need to go and play with an SSP-800!

Quote:

The beginnings of audio tracks are cut off whilst the decoder detects the bitstream type. The reviewer was quite vexed. I was too, with the SSP, but beta 2.03 finally showed they could fix it, with no ill effects.

Thanks so the clarification...

Joel
post #158 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Guess I'm one of the few that actually likes the cosmetics. The 1RU height and spartan looks are my cup of chai.

Not true...I think that the industrial design looks fantastic in a full rack of equipment....and, for what it is worth, I ordered mine with the rabbit ears (so that it could be easily rack mounted) but without the handles (i.e. I really do not like the handles)...

Joel
post #159 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Jeff:

I will get all the filtering I need via the QSC DSPs that I am going to use...

I have looked at the RS-232 command set and it seems to be "all there" (i.e. I cannot see anything that is missing)...that said, it is a little diappointing that one needs an "add on" piece to use RS-232 command sets as this, at least to me, should be included for the price...

I have 5 QSC DSPs. I'll be using my DSP-30 for my subs - bypassing the EQ in the ADA. I will try the parametrics in the ADA for the other channels. If not to my liking, then I'll use my QSC DSP-4s for those speakers.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #160 of 2135 Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 5 QSC DSPs. I'll be using my DSP-30 for my subs - bypassing the EQ in the ADA. I will try the parametrics in the ADA for the other channels. If not to my liking, then I'll use my QSC DSP-4s for those speakers.

Jeff:

I am betting that we both ended up with QSC DSPs for the very same reason / source...

Joel
post #161 of 2135 Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Jeff:

I am betting that we both ended up with QSC DSPs for the very same reason / source...

Great minds think alike!!

Are you set up? you're the first one with a Mach IV B?

post #162 of 2135 Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you set up? you're the first one with a Mach IV B?

I hope to be up and running (at least from an audio perspective) at some point this week...that said, as of the end of last week the two pieces of equipment that were missing were the QSC amplifiers and the ADA processors but the CI was confident everything would arrive and be wried up this week...

Joel
post #163 of 2135 Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
David,

Just from an input standpoint; you have double the HDMI inputs with equal outs (2 per brand). The parametric eq with the ADA is slightly more flexible with more bands per channel (including subs/ LFE). The flip side is that the Classe does offer more audio outputs (more channels driven). If you're willing to take the road trip, I can arrange for you to listen to a suite 7.1 HD- balanced in Plainfield. Just let me know via PM. (The sound is the exact same between the two).

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #164 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 AM

. It truly bears consideration by our type of people.
post #165 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought Meridian's PC interface was great.

The issue for me is not how well the PC interface works, but that one needs a PC at all. I think you'd agree that setting up the ADA is not realistic without a PC. Setting up the SSP-800 from the touch screen is even nicer/faster than the Tag AV32R, and that creamed the 861 in terms of ease of use.

This is primarily why I chose the 800 over the Mach IV. Couldn't stand having to hook a computer to my old Meridian. A processor is the one component where UI really matters. Also, as I like to 'remix' films to my taste, lack of OSD is a pain. Seems primitive to have to try to read a small display across the room -- I use an RF universal remote, no 2 way control.

Haven't heard either, so SQ differences, if at all significant for movies, would be just a guess. Have, however, owned some ADA stuff in the past that was excellent.
post #166 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Mach IV can be entirely programmed intuitively fom the front panel. But the ADA is so tweakable the computer interface is almost mandatory. So many controls. Not my first choice but if you have the time, it's there. More HDMI INS and outs another bonus. Either way not a huge deal, set it up once and done

Very excited about The LAN port and control. THX processing and a better EQ are what set it apart from the Classe for me. Pair it with the forthcoming Trinnov and what else could you want?
Features wise, it's at the top. Sonics? We'll see!

post #167 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Either way not a huge deal, set it up once and done

I've had the SSP-800 for almost a year now, and am still tweaking settings on occasion. Guess I need to switch to the ADA so I can be done with that!
post #168 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you said it best. Gotta buy what meets your needs. Both pieces are excellent. I may be a heretic but I love the unmatched control of the ADA.

post #169 of 2135 Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Setup is never one and done for me either. I know I'll be playing around with EQ, creating my own surround modes, etc. The experimentation is part of the fun w/a processor.

The possible addition of Trinnov was a big factor for me, but I've given up on the notion of buying w/future upgradeability in mind. Almost never happens, or at best the time frame is such as to make it an irrelevant consideration at the time of purchase.

There's clearly something difficult about dealing with Trinnov too, as its taken ADA a long time to put out an external unit, totally stymied Outlaw, and took Sherwood forever as well. Having said that, I'd put more faith in ADA delivering than almost any other company that makes vague promises of upgradeability.
post #170 of 2135 Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I received word from ADA today that my client's Rhapsody M4B shipped to me today (first off the line for this run). I should have it by mid next week

I can't wait to get this installed and setup fully!! I may have to aske the client if I can do a head to head with a Halcro SSP before I install it.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #171 of 2135 Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

I received word from ADA today that my client's Rhapsody M4B shipped to me today (first off the line for this run). I should have it by mid next week

I can't wait to get this installed and setup fully!! I may have to aske the client if I can do a head to head with a Halcro SSP before I install it.

Dan

This would be GREAT if you can pull it off.

The Halcro was the best for movies I have ever owned, If they get back to upgrades or a new pre-pro I would probably go back. The ADA is on my short list as well as the Classe but I would hate to spend that much to get inferior performance to the Halcro.

I hope you can do a head to head comparison, that would be really helpful.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #172 of 2135 Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed. The Halcro was the best of all Ive owned or demo'd (Citation, Meridian, Casablanca, Lexicon).

post #173 of 2135 Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff:

When are you due to receive your MACH IV B?

Joel
post #174 of 2135 Old 08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I think soon.

This is a new state of the art piece. With so few new designs on the market (and many many folks spending to refurb their current units), I'm looking forward to the quality, new sonics.

post #175 of 2135 Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Jeff,

I can't wait until you get your ADA installed, you got a good ear so if your impressed it will make my decision easier.

I'm glad your not one of those Theta Droids

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #176 of 2135 Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Jeff,

I can't wait until you get your ADA installed, you got a good ear so if your impressed it will make my decision easier.

I'm glad your not one of those Theta Droids

No way I'm dumping $5K into a 10 year old POS.

I'll keep you guys up to date in this thread.

post #177 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff et. al.:

I received my ADA Rhapsody MACH IV B last week and made and interesting discovery...

There seems to be some miscommunication regarding the need/us of the ISO-CAT II RS-232 control module...the results of my CIs testing of the device is as follows:

1. The ISO-CAT II RS-232 module is needed for 2 way RS-232 control (no big surprise); but

2. The ISO CAT-II RS-232 module is NOT need for 2 way IP control through the ethernet port (i.e. contrary to what had / has been posted, the unit can be fully controlled including two way feedback over the enthernet port).

With that I will NOT be using the ISO CAT-II RS-232 module and will be controlling the unit via ethernet/ip through my Crestron AV-PRO controller..

Hope this helps...

Joel
post #178 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good to know.

One less thing ro buy. I'll be plugging into my RTI LAN port for control.

That said, I'm in the process of leaving RTI and using iRule on my iPad for 2way control.

Very cool Joel.

How are the sonics?

post #179 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are the sonics?

This will be a multi-stage process...

The unit is at th CIs office being tested with the Crestron interface to make sure that it works when delivered...

The unit will be installed on this coming Monday (i.e. August 23rd). I will certainly fire it up when I get home from work but, and this is a big but, I will not be able to get a full feel of its capability because the audio will not have been calibrated at that point (i.e. I will be running two QSC 922uz DSPs engines)...

The unit will likely not be calibrated -- sorry everyone -- until the October / November timeframe because I am waiting for CEDIA to order my projector and will have the audio / video calibrated at the same time as two trips from Georgia to Toronto (where I live) make little sense because of the cents...

With that, will certainly set the speaker sizes, distance settings, etc. on Monday and let you know...

Joel
post #180 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am waiting on a new sub install and will have Mark Seaton do the EQ for this and, like you, I'll be running my QSC DSPs initially until I can go with the integrated solution (though I will use my QSC DSP-30 for the low end. He said end of August last I spoke, but I highly doubt it as he is tough to get a hold of. After the sub install, I will schedule a HT MEET at my place... hopefully with my whole rigged on 2 way control via iPad.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page