ADA Mach 4......WOW!!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought an ISO-E was needed for TCP/IP control via the Ethernet connection.

From what you describe it sounds like that function is now built in. Or does the ISO-E provide additional functionality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can this unit be controlled with an IR remote such as Harmony?

Thanks...

Dave

post #183 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Yes. But I do not believe it ships with an IR remote.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #184 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WOW indeed!

Don't follow closely enough and you find people doing some "interesting things"!

OK, the ISO in the ISO-CATII, ISO-E etc stands for isolation. These devices act as a gateway from one protocol on to the ADA bus and importantly fully isolate the Audio system from the control system (as in electrical isolation).

I am at a loss as to why you would think that you would need either of these devices if you are planning on using IP control? The Ethernet port is actaully an embedded ISO-E (you need to use the ISO-E program to change the IP address and the sub net masks before it will talk two way with the Parametrc EQ program).

The ISO-CATII is not actually needed for RS232 control but is strongly reccomended. I am afraid since I don't who would support it, I won't put the pin outs on here for connecting directly to the ADA bus connector.

The Rhapsody can be supplied with the URC MX900 remote for IR but you have to ask for it - it won't ship as standard.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Neil

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page
post #185 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Neil,

Until I get my iPad 2 way going, can I simply connect to my RTI control processors serial connector to the Ethernet input on the ADA using a serial to Ethernet adapter? My Stewart BRIC masking control processor has only an Ethernet input but I use a similar adapter with a serial cable and all is good.

Thanks

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #186 of 2135 Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I can not comment as to the need to change subnet address etc...all I can you at this point is the following:

1. My CI is able to get complete 2 way control via the ethernet port...

2. The lack of access to the PEQ is not an issue for me as I will be using QSC DSP engines...

With that, any and all advice and comments are welcome...

Joel

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #187 of 2135 Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 AM

If you are adding an Ethernet device to a network then you can either use DHCP to assign the IP address automatically or you can program a fixed IP. Since 99% of the installs I see use fixed IP addresses then it is important to know that this is accomplished by using the ISO-E setup program from ADA.

The setup software for the Rhapsody and Suite 7.1 HD work perfectly with two way feedback straight from the box regardless of how the IP address was assigned.

The setup software for the EQ that is built in to the Rhapsody and Suite 7.1 HD will only appear to have one way communication straight from the box unless you update the subnet mask on he device using the ISO-E software. Once you do this then voilÃ* - full two way feedback as if by magic. We never found why the EQ software behaves differently to the setup software but it is an easy fix once you know the above.

It is important to stress, since there may still be some confusion, that the same level of two way control is available regardless of if the physical connection to the device is via RS232 or IP.

@ Jeff - I'll send you a message about your interim control options.

Neil

post #188 of 2135 Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Neil,

Until I get my iPad 2 way going, can I simply connect to my RTI control processors serial connector to the Ethernet input on the ADA using a serial to Ethernet adapter? My Stewart BRIC masking control processor has only an Ethernet input but I use a similar adapter with a serial cable and all is good.

Thanks

Jeff,
Two comments.

1) are you sure that an ADA 2-way driver has been built for iRule?

2) are you sure that an ADA 2-way driver has been built for RTI??

I am sure you will love the 1-way serial control in the interim. As you have discovered, the protocol is very thorough.

ADA's hardware integrates very well with Crestron or AMX, so the possibility is there if RTI or anyone else wants to spend the time writing a driver for them (I am not sure what iRule is, does it use a Bitwise or Global Cache networked integration device?).

I couldn't be more pleased that this excellent company is getting some notoriety in this crowd. ADA are one of the last good US companies providing home theater and multi-zone electronics that are actually manufactured in the US.

Richard, see you in a few weeks...

-Rick Murphy
Integration Pros

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #189 of 2135 Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm excited to hear "thebland's" opinion of this piece once he gets his mitts on his. I'm looking real closely at this ssp and want to hear more about it.

Very interesting unit.
post #190 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I played with the configuration software last night and it is amazing the number of parameters that can be controlled...very interesting approach that ada have taken in that the software reminds of me of german cards; not much spent on the feel or look of the software but it sure does "drive" nicely; that is, the unit is extremely configurable...

I am, despite being 80%+ home theatre oriented, looking forward to playing with the much hyped QuadBypass on 2-channel sources...anmd, for those interested, I hope to be up and running (at least from a rough music perspective) over the weekend...

Joel
post #191 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope View Post

Jeff,
Two comments.

2) are you sure that an ADA 2-way driver has been built for RTI??

I am sure you will love the 1-way serial control in the interim. As you have discovered, the protocol is very thorough.

ADA's hardware integrates very well with Crestron or AMX, so the possibility is there if RTI or anyone else wants to spend the time writing a driver for them (I am not sure what iRule is, does it use a Bitwise or Global Cache networked integration device?).

I couldn't be more pleased that this excellent company is getting some notoriety in this crowd. ADA are one of the last good US companies providing home theater and multi-zone electronics that are actually manufactured in the US.

Richard, see you in a few weeks...

-Rick Murphy
Integration Pros

Rick:

Thanks so much for the warm and welcome comments. While the past two years have not been anything to really write home about, we are in fact enjoying the ride. Feels a wee bit like the period going into the mid-1990's when home theater really came of age (can you say AC-3 and DTS 5.1;-)

I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta and admit to having a slight surprise up my sleeve. The TEQ's (-4, -8, & -12) will be more than just on display at Expo. In CEDIA's Technology Pavilion, the theater will be driven by an ADA preamp and amp ensemble all processed with the TEQ-12 Trinnov based room correction system. FWIW, the TEQ-4 is a four channel unit, TEQ-8 is an eight channel unit and TEQ-12 is the Holy Grail No MSRP yet. Sorry.
post #192 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

I played with the configuration software last night and it is amazing the number of parameters that can be controlled...very interesting approach that ada have taken in that the software reminds of me of german cards; not much spent on the feel or look of the software but it sure does "drive" nicely; that is, the unit is extremely configurable...

I am, despite being 80%+ home theatre oriented, looking forward to playing with the much hyped QuadBypass on 2-channel sources...anmd, for those interested, I hope to be up and running (at least from a rough music perspective) over the weekend...

Joelc:

Glad you finally got your CR4B. Curious what software (music and film) you have lined up. Thank you for patience and business. Enjoy the ride.

Best regards,

Richard
post #193 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ADA View Post

Rick:

Thanks so much for the warm and welcome comments. While the past two years have not been anything to really write home about, we are in fact enjoying the ride. Feels a wee bit like the period going into the mid-1990's when home theater really came of age (can you say AC-3 and DTS 5.1;-)

I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta and admit to having a slight surprise up my sleeve. The TEQ's (-4, -8, & -12) will be more than just on display at Expo. In CEDIA's Technology Pavilion, the theater will be driven by an ADA preamp and amp ensemble all processed with the TEQ-12 Trinnov based room correction system. FWIW, the TEQ-4 is a four channel unit, TEQ-8 is an eight channel unit and TEQ-12 is the Holy Grail No MSRP yet. Sorry.

Cool!

Do the TEQ units integrate in with the ADA SSPs in any manner?

Still awaiting mine. Looking forward to it and meeting you at CEDIA.

post #194 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool!

Do the TEQ units integrate in with the ADA SSPs in any manner?

Still awaiting mine. Looking forward to it and meeting you at CEDIA.

Jeff, you beat me to the punch...that said, my guess is yes because Richard_ADA said that an MRSP was not available leading me to assume (and yes, I do know the danger of assuming) that:

1. The units will be sold by ADA and be different from those directly offered by Trinnov; and

2. The units will somehome "speak" directly to the ada pre/pros.

Will certainly be very interesting to see...

Joel
post #195 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope View Post

Jeff,

-Rick Murphy
Integration Pros

Since iRule does not yet support two-way communication, ADA cannot yet have a two-way iRule device.

Steve Goff
post #196 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

Since iRule does not yet support two-way communication, ADA cannot yet have a two-way iRule device.

No but Itai is a friend and a neighbor of mine. He'll be helping me beta test a 2-way iRule.

post #197 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ADA View Post

The TEQ's (-4, -8, & -12) will be more than just on display at Expo. In CEDIA's Technology Pavilion, the theater will be driven by an ADA preamp and amp ensemble all processed with the TEQ-12 Trinnov based room correction system.

I'm looking forward to an actual demo of Trinnov. I'll be sure to stop by your booth and demo room

Steve
post #198 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

No but Itai is a friend and a neighbor of mine. He'll be helping me beta test a 2-way iRule.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to two-way communication and wake from LAN.

Steve Goff
post #199 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Richard,

Does ADA have any plans to add Audyssey DSX?

I have a Denon 4810 and the front Height and Width channels really expand the soundstage.

Noah
post #200 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have to have THX processing, too. That was what kept me from the excellent classe.

Care to share with us here why THX is a must have for you?

Since all soundtracks are remixed for home use it would seem to me to be a carry over from the early days and thus, excluding early DD sound tracks, obsolete. Yes the THX is also a licensing deal but this too is surpassed by highend SSP's.

Anyone know how many power supplies are in this blade of a SSP?

Thanks,
Allen
ISF Certified
www.avsensations.com
post #201 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the THX modes. They are nice on some soundtracks that are a bit over the top bright.

Allan, this is a purests device. There is no added video in the audio chain -thus there is no on-screen display. Moreover, the serial connection for control can be isolated electrically so there is no extra electrical charge to float around the unit..

Neil posted this (Ceenhead) below:

The balanced unit uses a linear power supply stage and dumps all of the legacy video switching interfaces as well as adding the transformerless balanced outputs.

This combines to give the balanced unit a better SNR as noted:

For the Cinema Rhapsody Balanced
Digital Input: 111dB THD: 0.00070%
Analog Input: 116dB THD: 0.00070%
Analog Bypass: 116dB THD: 0.00040%

Add in the PEQ and the CEDIA release of Trinnov based room correction (4,8, or 12 channels) and you've got state of the art nirvana. I'm sure Richard (or Neil) can add more...

post #202 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener View Post

Since all soundtracks are remixed for home use...

No they're not. And there's no consistency, since it varies by studio. Sony Pictures remasters their soundtracks for home video (i.e., re-equalizes for nearfield listening, without actually remixing the content). Disney and Lionsgate literally re-mix some of their soundtracks for home video (sometimes to 7.1). Others, like Paramount and Warners, simply port the theatrical soundtrack to DVD and BD. So it helps to have the THX option. (Options are a good thing.)

Sanjay
post #203 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is added video in the audio chain - the reason there is no OSD

What does this mean exactly?

Video engineers will tell you that it's not difficult to click OSD in and out of the circuit, and isolate it from other signals.
post #204 of 2135 Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

No they're not. And there's no consistency, since it varies by studio. Sony Pictures remasters their soundtracks for home video (i.e., re-equalizes for nearfield listening, without actually remixing the content). Disney and Lionsgate literally re-mix some of their soundtracks for home video (sometimes to 7.1). Others, like Paramount and Warners, simply port the theatrical soundtrack to DVD and BD. So it helps to have the THX option. (Options are a good thing.)

Even if studios do not remaster for home use, that's no guarantee they need any further Re-EQ at home. Only movies that were mixed in dubbing stages that were not properly EQ'd, as happened decades ago when laser discs were in fashion, where the incorrect X-curve was applied, result in overly bright soundtracks. Although I must also allow for the uncontrolled variable--taste--some mixers might just push the high end more than we'd like. But I admit, it has been a very long time since I played a movie that was too bright. Ahh, one of the pleasures of old age, I guess.
post #205 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Neil posted this (Ceenhead) below:

The balanced unit uses a linear power supply stage and dumps all of the legacy video switching interfaces as well as adding the transformerless balanced outputs.

This combines to give the balanced unit a better SNR as noted:

For the Cinema Rhapsody Balanced
Digital Input: 111dB THD: 0.00070%
Analog Input: 116dB THD: 0.00070%
Analog Bypass: 116dB THD: 0.00040%

Just to clarify, the shipping models don't have the linear supply stage but all of the rest of the above still holds true.

post #206 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

Just to clarify, the shipping models don't have the linear supply stage but all of the rest of the above still holds true.

Two follow ups...one related, one unrelated:

1. The statement that the shipping models do not have the linear supply...is that ti be interpreted that future models will have the liner stage or that no models will have the linear supply stage?

2. Also, is there the ability to dim / turn off the diplay while the unit is on and have in brighten / wakeup for say, 30 seconds, when a parameter (i.e. input, volume, etc.) is changed...and, to be clear, this is not a significant issue for me as the unit is located in a separate equipment room but, that said, there really is no need for the display to be on as I cannot see it...

TIA.

Joel
post #207 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

What does this mean exactly?

Video engineers will tell you that it's not difficult to click OSD in and out of the circuit, and isolate it from other signals.

Typo on my part. I meant to say 'NO' video OSD in the chain. I cannot tell you if the lack of OSD does keep the video chain more 'pure' but ADA elected to leave it out.

post #208 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 AM

Hi Joel,

I posted over at the UK forum but will post here as well...

1. None of the final shipping models have ever had the linear supply. That was my bad as our early demo units had this. The other data is still correct though.

2. There is a software version that has the dimming for Suite 7.1 HD and for Rhapsody but again I don't know if it officially released yet. We had some more testing to do but I have no doubts it is fine. Your dealer should ask ADA about it.

post #209 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Joel,

I posted over at the UK forum but will post here as well...

1. None of the final shipping models have ever had the linear supply. That was my bad as our early demo units had this. The other data is still correct though.

Appreciate the response and, to be perfectly clear, to the best of yoru knowledge there is, at this point, no planned power supply change (i.e. the linear power supplies were in the demo units but not part of the final / production units). Is this correct?

Quote:

2. There is a software version that has the dimming for Suite 7.1 HD and for Rhapsody but again I don't know if it officially released yet. We had some more testing to do but I have no doubts it is fine. Your dealer should ask ADA about it.

Thanks, for this information...that said, what other goodies are included in the new software version...

Again, much thanks...

Joel
post #210 of 2135 Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From Richard_ADA re: OSD:

None of our preamps feature an OSD which by the way is a good thing - especially when dealing with 3D (so I'm told).
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page