post #31 of 41 Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

Besides the moron engineer in the 1800's?? who decided 110V should be our standard U.S.A. infrastructure, insted of 220, I think the answer is no... Balanced has nothing to do with the votage per se, but how it is derived. In fact, in the U.S., the way we get 220 is by having (2) 110 lines in series or such.. every house has 2 hot 110V lines coming into the box. Balanced power is the way it is wired for noise cancellation or such...

If only we could go back in time and tell the morons who made us 110V to go back and makes us 220V in the USA, and also change over to the metric system... morons! Bad ancestors! bad!!

Thanks for explanation, but don't you feel much safer with your system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually, it was Tom Edison that originally introduced 110V DC power in the 1800s. George Westinghouse came along with his competing AC distribution system, which eventually won out. I believe that the 110V distribution level was selected for safety considerations. They were using silk and cotton covered wire back in those days!

Anyway, I did take a quick look at the Toruspower product line and it looks like pretty beefy equipment. If you decide to use their AVR (automatic voltage regulator), you may want to consider mechanical switching noise, since they are using relays to perform the tap switching.
post #33 of 41 Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #34 of 41 Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

second- just because power supplies include striifening caps, doesn't mean that the design is optimized for efficiency. I've seen many very expensive, very high-end amplifiers that use a couple large capacitors per channel, but that type of design doesn't have the same recharge speed that a group of several small caps would have (smaller caps recharge faster)

Dan

Careful with this statement. Speaking of the context here assuming equal capability design and capacitance implemented etc... superiority of many smaller rather than few large sounds more of audio marketing dept junk rather than engineering truth.

I'm with Curt P. Unless you have a serious power issue for whatever reason.. which is a different issue all together.. if your components have been designed properly and the engineering behind them is worth any salt, you don't need anything special conditioning the power. And that most times devices that claim improvements actually do nothing or possibly do more harm than good.

Just my opinion..
post #35 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Too bad we haven't heard back from Health Nut on his Torus 20 amppower conditioner. I wonder how he likes it? I have one on order from Bryston, the 20Amp model with series surge suppression.

James Tanner--Bryston-- says this is the first unit Bryston feels is robust enough to warrant Bryston's endorsement, and doesn't starve components of power.

I also had a lengthy discussion with a Torus rep who advised me NOT to go with the balanced units that mount near the main electric panel,, since it is, in my case, nearly a 100 foot run to my components.

Torus believes that the benefits of any such power equipment fall off rapidly with distance, and optimally should be no more that 10-20 feet away. Too many opportunities to pick up noise between the Torus unit and your components with a long run in between. Plus, have you checked the price on those balanced, wall mount units with AVR, Isolation, and surge suppression? VERY pricey!!!

So I'm going with the standard component, with the nice Bryston faceplate that matches my SP3 and my BDP-1.

Health Nut, are you still around? How do you like your Torus?

Dave

post #36 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been working on the ultimate commercial (home) gym project for the past 3 years.

Yes, I really like them... Do they do anything I can hear or see, no... but they make me feel better that they are there. I know the review is short, but it is a power conditioner, so nothing to get excited about per se... it does an excellent job as far as I can tell hehe....
post #37 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 14
I have had three Torus units for the last maybe 4yrs. and wouldn't be without them.
First when I had shunyata hydras in my room with approx 6 dedicated lines I had an opportunity to home audition the Torus(15a).
At the time I had 3X7Bssts and 2X4Bssts+subs and components.
Had the amps and most components in the Torus.
Seemed like it was the same as the shunyata( I think it sound beeter or it must be doing something ect).
Wasn't until I tried another Torus with the 15a which was a 20a that all hell broke loose.
it seems that if you add all the amperage of the amps I was looking at around 35a I believe.
Soon as I separated some of the amps onto the 20a Torus it was:eek:WTF.huge stage,very authoritive bottomend ect.
Seems the 15a could not give what the amps wanted just like wall plug,of course it worked but NO DYNAMICS ect.
Someone high up in the industry had told me :you have discovered as I have that having gobs of power in reserve for the amps makes a huge difference.
Reminds me of miking a kick drum using say 100w amp,you gey sound but it sounds like crap,add 500 -1000 it's showtime,huge difference.

Also I two instances where the Torus saved some gear:
#1:Had all my gear plugged into the Torus(s) and my computer into a monster,well we had a storm,the computer was toast,my gear was fine.
#2:last year I had four F-113s,two were connected to a torus and two were not,same thing,had a storm the two that were plugged into the Torus were fine as was everything else.
The two that weren't were done.
LIve and learn as I have everything into three Torus(s),20a(240v)for my components,4Bsst and projector
60a(240V)for my 2X28Bssts+7Bsst for the front
20a(120V)for my 1812 sub with dedicated 20a line
Haven't found anything better yet for protection and that improves the dynamics of the music,I know first hand that shunyata doesn't even come into view and that's with dedicated lines.
I may upgrade a component or amp but the Torus(s) are staying put unless I hear something better and with protection:D.
post #38 of 41 Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Too bad we haven't heard back from Health Nut on his Torus 20 amppower conditioner. I wonder how he likes it? I have one on order from Bryston, the 20Amp model with series surge suppression.

James Tanner--Bryston-- says this is the first unit Bryston feels is robust enough to warrant Bryston's endorsement, and doesn't starve components of power.

I also had a lengthy discussion with a Torus rep who advised me NOT to go with the balanced units that mount near the main electric panel,, since it is, in my case, nearly a 100 foot run to my components.

Torus believes that the benefits of any such power equipment fall off rapidly with distance, and optimally should be no more that 10-20 feet away. Too many opportunities to pick up noise between the Torus unit and your components with a long run in between. Plus, have you checked the price on those balanced, wall mount units with AVR, Isolation, and surge suppression? VERY pricey!!!

So I'm going with the standard component, with the nice Bryston faceplate that matches my SP3 and my BDP-1.

Health Nut, are you still around? How do you like your Torus?

2 updates: My Bryston Bit-20 arrived the other day. This is the Torus 20 amp isolation transformer with series mode surge suppression, but with a Bryston faceplate. Sounds good so far. I can't say I hear a huge difference coming from a Shunyata Hydra, but I feel better knowing I have SOTA surge suppression for my considerable investment in HT. Played with a couple different cables, and there is a difference there.

The other item is that yesterday I received a call from Matt at Torus. He is the gentleman I referred to in my previous post, who had given me very good info and advice. He was simply following up, to see where I was in my situation. A very nice guy, and I really like a company that personally reaches out to customers to help with their products.

Good work, Torus!!

Dave

post #39 of 41 Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM

I have had a BIT 20 for about six months and am very happy with it. I have 5 Bryston amps and all of my front end stuff (SP3, BDA, BDP, Oppo, PJ, etc.) plugged into it without problems. IIRC, James has said that the SST2 amps won't benefit from BIT as far as improving power draw but the previous generations will. My major reasons for purchase were ground loops and surge protection.

Steve
post #40 of 41 Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

My major reasons for purchase were ground loops and surge protection.

Steve

Ditto...wink.gif

Dave

post #41 of 41 Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Well you still have to tie the secondary ground to the primary service ground. NEC does not allow floating ground systems. Even "isolated ground" is still tied to the service ground. The difference is where the tie is made. Isolated systems bring all grounds back to a commen point via insulated wire and don't use the conduit for ground.

It looks like the Ground One stuff is balanced power just like Equitek.

Forgive the ignorant question... but how is this secondary ground physically tied?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)