Genelec 8260a - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This new speaker from Genelec looks interesting.

http://www.genelec.com/products/8260a-2/

Does anyone have any experience with them ? I hope to have a listen week after next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yup. Very nice.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #3 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Very, very nice. And the dimensions would allow a seamless replacement in my baffle wall...

Any idea of price? I know with Genelec, it won't be a bargain....

What is the 'DSP series' all about?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #4 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's got built in DACs (1 per driver) and all that comes with it including auto-eq. GLM looks interesting. Are they speaking IP or is that GLM usb box terminator thing doing some unnecessary proprietary nonsense? Start on page 5 PDF.

Edit: I'm answering my own question.

GLM is proprietary. So disappointing.
post #5 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

BTW....these are intended as Studio Monitors ... ie, near field listening. For longer seating distances, perhaps not the best choice.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #6 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I got a listen to these on a recent visit to Natick. They had them set up in a 5.1 arrangement with a sizable double sub up front and a smaller sub in back and it was pretty amazing stuff...dynamic, effortless, articulate. I think they are aimed at post-production facilities more than HT.
post #7 of 75 Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
These are pro speakers. Anyone caught selling in HT market gets wrists slapped and possibly expelled from dealer network. They are very interesting speakers. Although it wasn't the best environment to hear the speakers, they sounded good.
post #8 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

These are pro speakers. Anyone caught selling in HT market gets wrists slapped and possibly expelled from dealer network. They are very interesting speakers. Although it wasn't the best environment to hear the speakers, they sounded good.

Huh? Why should there be any restrictions as to who can buy such speakers? I bought the 8250 for my home cinema. Of course I had no problems ordering them. Anything else would be ridiculous.
post #9 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the replies guys. It should be an interesting listen !

Dennis,

I'm going to be at about 4-6m ... how is that distance ?

What aspect(s) of studio monitor performance makes them unsuitable for longer distances ?

I have some unusual ideas for my theatre which makes the GLM very attractive ... particularly being able to store multiple EQ profiles and switch between them with a simple remote command ... I've always wanted to be able to do this for poorly recorded rock music ... I'm planning to call it my "Joshua Tree" mode ... brilliant album but shocking mixing !!
post #10 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Huh? Why should there be any restrictions as to who can buy such speakers? I bought the 8250 for my home cinema. Of course I had no problems ordering them. Anything else would be ridiculous.

Perhaps over in Europe Genelec has a different policy. In the States, if you are caught cross selling pro/ht products then you risk losing ability to sell Genelec products. If you ask me, I think it is BS. personally. Love the speakers, not the decision to limit buying choices here in the states.
post #11 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

A pro dealer will sell you five, six, or seven of these speakers no questions asked.
post #12 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

They should as they are pro models. A HT dealer is not allowed in the US. And the Pro models are not to be sold in homes period (unless it is a true recording studio) in the US. Whether or not people follow the rules is a different story.
post #13 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

A pro dealer will sell you five, six, or seven of these speakers no questions asked.

Just curious, who is the pro dealer selling into homes? PM me if you like. If it is no problem then it should be easy to share who they are. If it's not, then I suspect no PM will be sent. Let's see what happens.
post #14 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I've got to believe there will be HT-oriented versions of this technology at some point.
post #15 of 75 Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just curious, who is the pro dealer selling into homes? PM me if you like. If it is no problem then it should be easy to share who they are. If it's not, then I suspect no PM will be sent. Let's see what happens.

If I can buy this or this on the internet, why couldn't I buy the new under $35k speakers at the store?
post #16 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OMG on paper these are my dream speakers! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time! Never thought it would be a pro speaker. Anyone here actually listen to them yet in a home environment? No one can say the MSRP?
post #17 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

If it's over $4,500 per they'd price themselves out of their competition. For example, the Quested v3110 and K+H O 410.
post #18 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They should as they are pro models. A HT dealer is not allowed in the US. And the Pro models are not to be sold in homes period (unless it is a true recording studio) in the US. Whether or not people follow the rules is a different story.

Is Genelec going to send agents to investigate your house and make sure it is a studio and not a theater?

All the "home" versions are identical to their professional counterparts but with a bigger markup. Might as well order them off of B&H photo.
post #19 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim916 View Post

Is Genelec going to send agents to investigate your house and make sure it is a studio and not a theater?

Thats exactly how it goes down, you need to listen to Jim on this one. 4 years ago Jim installed pro speakers in an HT. Next day he was bundled onto a rendition flight to Gitmo. They only let him out this past Christmas.

Why do you think Dennis hasn't said anything? He's in witness protection after he was critical of the policy, they've had a team tracking him down for 2 years. Do you even think "Dennis" is his real name?

I need to go, there are MIBs at the door.

Quote:

All the "home" versions are identical to their professional counterparts but with a bigger markup.

There are actually some minor operation and indication differences.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #20 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

And there's probably a huge difference in the warranty and liability agreement.
Studio monitors are sold as "tools".
post #21 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Is there really a HT version? if so whats the model#? Is there a price difference?
post #22 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

the 8260a is a PRO only model at the moment, and most likely will remain so. The HT guys need to speak with Genelec to get them to release a HT version.

There are minor differences between the PRO and HT models.

Regarding price advertising on the internet on the PRO side, I have been told with "good authority", that advertising the price on the web will be removed. Shortly too.

When it comes to affecting our business, we will do everything we can to ensure everyone is playing by the proper rules. I'm sure there are ghost companies and other means to show pricing on the internet, but in reality it hurts both good companies and the customers. You; the customer, would be the loser if the speakers are not set up properly out of their coffins (I mean boxes for those who never received an HT6 before). Setting up the speakers is required by Genelec in order to represent their products properly. At least that is our understanding between us and Genelec. Warranty may also be an issue.

One of the problems is that in the HT side, the PRO guys complain that the cost of the speakers are too high to compete with other PRO speaker prices. The HT guys don't want the PRO margins. Yes we want the DSP and AutoCal as tools, but we'll save that for another day. We debate this every month. It is my "opinion" that Genelec should carry one series for both PRO and HT.
post #23 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the "home" versions are identical to their professional counterparts but with a bigger markup. Might as well order them off of B&H photo.

They are not identical, the HT models have 12V and close contact power management. The PRO models don't.

If you are trained on how to set the speakers up then I'd say you would be safe on the sound quality. Maybe not warranty. If you are not trained on the speakers you may find you didn't get what you bargained for. I've seen in-experienced people turn a wonderful sounding product into WTF?!? did you do that for? It would have been cheaper buying the HTS4B subwoofer. LOL

Either way no one can tell you how to spend your money. My advice is to go with a local Genelec Rep and let them do their jobs properly to get the most out of your system. It not all about how to screw the most amount of money out of you. If these were Best Buy speakers with Zero tweaks and only speaker placement then fine, that may be considered abuse charging more just to take the speakers out of the box and set them on the floor.

Reminds me many many years ago. When a retailer promised me they would calibrate my mom's TV upon installation. I expected some kind of test equipment. Imagine my dismay when they asked for the remote and tried to tweak the contrast, brightness, tint, color. I told the guy no disrespect, but you need to leave and tell your boss to stop being deceptive when they push their wares. This was just an adjustment, not a calibration.
post #24 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

If I can buy this or this on the internet, why couldn't I buy the new under $35k speakers at the store?

You are mostly correct. This is being taken care of as I type. These guys are the usual suspects and easy to detect as they drop ship. Expect a resolution soon. Buyer beware is all I can add. Good luck getting the faint transformer hum removed from the tweeter when amp board gets worn; under warranty.
post #25 of 75 Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Source

Quote:

Originally posted by GenT at Gearslutz:
Hi all!

Sorry for delay, we have been busy at the IBC demoing this remarkable product Thanks for all your comments and discussion so far!

Final price will be confirmed once first units leave the factory in 3-4 months time, but the retail price will be around three thousand euros in Europe plus local taxes. As the product is Made in Finland the US retail price will depend on currency rates and import duties. The US launch will happen in AES NY 9th-12th October, Genelec stand number 254. Hope to see you there!

When comparing this product to anything else in the market it is good to keep in mind that none of the competitors can offer the complete system with DSP and AutoCal automatic room calibration functionality. Also comparing this product with for example Event Opal would not be fair to anybody as the 8260A provides much more LF extension in addition to the above mentioned system approach. Remember that this is the flagship of our DSP range and smaller models 8250, 8240 and the SE System already provide excellent performance against the competition.

Hope this answers your questions so far!

Terho from Genelec

Source
Quote:

Originally posted by K.IlpoP at Gearslutz:
At AES the U.S.A. retail price will be quoted as $5,850 per channel.

Best regards,

Ilpo

$4500 street is a must.
post #26 of 75 Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Would the 8260a work ok in a room that's approx 18' long by 14' wide with 12' ceiling, with seating approximately 10' from the speakers?
post #27 of 75 Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

It would be more applicable if we knew the proposed distance from the speaker(s) to the listening position(s).

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #28 of 75 Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

It would be more applicable if we knew the proposed distance from the speaker(s) to the listening position(s).

Ten feet (actually, nine feet nine inches) to each of the three front speakers L/C/R
post #29 of 75 Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I'm about 8 feet from a much smaller pair of speakers with a much lower spec in a 13x18 foot room and it's loud enough. I imagine the Genelecs would be very capable.
post #30 of 75 Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Street Price in Europe is not clear yet, but somewhere around 4k Euro per speaker. That is a clear step up above the 8240 and 8250 price.

I also use the Genelec GLM Kit, quite a pleasure to be honest. If you want to exploit the potential of these DSP babies, then however, make sure you have a surround sound decoder with 5.1 or 7.1 digital outs (S/PDIF or AES/EBU) and you need to make up your mind in what way you controll the volume of all speakers in parallel.

8 to 10 feet listening distance will be fine for the 8260s. Above that will still be "ok", as these speakers have at least a defined radiation pattern, due to their wave guide. Otherwise look for a real "far fielder".

Cheers, Andreas
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page