Krell 707 Evolution. Is this the Best Processor? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 209 Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. Has any of the EVO707 owners performed a direct comparison to Krell's former flagship model HTS 7.1? If yes, how did the two compare over 2ch and Mch analog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 209 Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev666il View Post

Hi. Has any of the EVO707 owners performed a direct comparison to Krell's former flagship model HTS 7.1? If yes, how did the two compare over 2ch and Mch analog?

Yes I had a HTS 7.1 before the 707. There is no comparison. The 707 is vastly better in every way.
post #183 of 209 Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Hi spearl8,

thanks for your reply. I sort of guessed that would be the answer I'd get, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm morbidly curious to hear an EVO 707 in action, and even more so to make a comparison between it and my modded HTS 7.1. What configuration is your EVO 707 running in, if I may ask?
post #184 of 209 Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

At present it's being fed by an Oppo 83 and Ayre Qb-9 connected to Evo 600's with CAST and an Evo 403 balanced. There may be some cable changes down the road but that's how it's setup now.
post #185 of 209 Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjet View Post

The Evo 555 should sound great. I love Krell electronics (amps, preamps), but I am not wild about the transports in the Krell DVD/CD products. They are not high end, cheaply made, mass produced. At a $10,000 to $15,000 retail price point, I would like to see a better transport. I guess for Blue Ray discs, you won't find anything better than the Evo 555, especially if you are using it in a Krell system. I tried a Krell Evo 505, but returned it for an Esoteric. For music, I have been using Esoteric. I just purchased the new Esoteric K-01 (it plays Cd's and SACD's and has a USB connection for computers). It is stunning, the best CD/SACD player I have ever heard. For Blue Ray I have been using a Dennon 3800. Eventually this will be upgraded, but I don't see any products out there at this time that would induce me to make the change.

I've just learned Krell is postphoning the launch of the EVO 555 another 6 months. I've just about had it; it is now a year since Krell said they would launch it in 2Q 2010 - and I guess I will turn to other brands that will fill my void. I've got Marantz UD9004 which is quite a great BD-player, but so-so on CD, mediocre on SACD, stinks on DVD. Too bad, really, because I believe 555 will be a world class silver discs player, on both CD's, DVD's and BD's.

Oh well.

Cheers!
post #186 of 209 Old 01-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jack,
I have always believed in having dedicated players for movie and music, unless rack space is an issue. Myself I have a Theta BD player and a Burmester CD player. They fulfill two different purposes in my setup. The Theta is an incredible BD player, but no matter how good the Theta is, the Burmester completely smokes it on redbook CDs. That is the case also when I use the Theta as a transport only and connects it to one of the digital inputs on the Burmester. I guess the EVO 555 should be a lot better than the Theta, at least for the price, but for CDs I doubt it would be as good as top of the line Burmester, Wadia or similar. If audio is of great importance, go with a dedicated music player.

Armand
post #187 of 209 Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM

Hei Armand07 - kommer trolig til å gå for EVO 505 på CD og SACD, og 555 på dvd og BD
-------------
What you're saying makes sense. I guess I'll drop the Maranz on the second hand market, and rather install EVO 505 for CD's and SACD's (poor transport or not: it has CAST, and CASY is what I'm all about).

Cheers!
post #188 of 209 Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackx View Post

I've just learned Krell is postphoning the launch of the EVO 555 another 6 months. I've just about had it; it is now a year since Krell said they would launch it in 2Q 2010 - and I guess I will turn to other brands that will fill my void. I've got Marantz UD9004 which is quite a great BD-player, but so-so on CD, mediocre on SACD, stinks on DVD. Too bad, really, because I believe 555 will be a world class silver discs player, on both CD's, DVD's and BD's.

Oh well.

Cheers!

I have heard that Krell finds it very difficult to make any profit from their disc players. That may have something to do with the delayed release.

Regarding previous questions on this thread about the sound of the Evo 707:
I have owned the Krell Evo 707 for at least 2 years. It is fully updated. I use it a lot for 2 channel music as well as HT. My previous set up was the Lexicon MC12 B and Krell KCT pre-amp for music. The Krell Evo 707 is far, far superior to both of these products in every way. For music I use the pre-amp by-pass in the Evo707 (no digital processing). I have been involved in this fun hobby for over 30 years. Upgrades have been fairly continuous. Replacing the Lexicon MC12B and Krell KCT pre-amp with the 707 has been the single greatest up grade I have ever made, by far. The sound improvement was immediately obvious when I started up the Evo707 cold, right out of the box;no A-B comparison was necessary. The sound is more dynamic, faster, clearer, cleaner, more alive, more detailed, more beautiful, better instrument seperation, better 3d imaging/soundstaging, deeper detailed bass, dead quiet background. The Evo 707 is detailed with the sweetness/bloom of tubes. The improvement created by upgrading to the Evo 707 is much greater than upgrading my amps. I currently have all Krell Evo e series amps (2-600e's, 1-302e, 1-400e). These are great, great amps, but the upgrade to the Evo 707 had a much greater impact on the sound of my system. I cannot say enough about how great the Evo 707 sounds. It is expensive but it is worth every penny, it makes everything in my system sound better.
post #189 of 209 Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Matjet, How would you describe the upgrade from evo 600 to 600e? Is it worth the money?
post #190 of 209 Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearl8 View Post

Matjet, How would you describe the upgrade from evo 600 to 600e? Is it worth the money?

The Krell Evo 600 and 600e are both great, great amps. The e series uses much less energy in stand-by, but requires about 30 minute warm up to sound its best. Martin Collom wrote an excellent review of the Evo 402 (with some discussion about the 402e) in HifiCritic (access through Krell website). He loves both amps, but he feels the 402e (although not formally reviewed) sounds a little better.

The sound difference between the Evo600 and 600e is very subtle, in my opinion. Martin Collom ranked the Evo 600 (unofficially) very, very high with a 150 score in his scoring system. The only amp ranked higher is the Krell Evo 1 at 160. He has not scored the Evo 600e yet, but it would probably be at least 160. I would need to A-B the two amps with careful listening to detect any difference (I never did an A-B comparison). The improvement by upgrading to the Evo 600e was not jaw dropping stunning and obvious as it was when I installed the Evo 707.

I bought the Evo 600 a few months before the e series was released. My dealer took the evo 600 back in trade for the 600e, he only charged me the difference in price (with a disount). It was a no brainer exchange. My other e series amps were purchased very recently.

I think it is worth while making the upgrade just for the energy management.
post #191 of 209 Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have not heard much about this processor in awhile. User reports about sound quality were very positive.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #192 of 209 Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM

I've tried Krell Processors (still own one) and demoed Meridian, Mark Levinson, Theta and Halcro. They're amazing units. I might have picked the Meridian if forced to decide, though each had its individual merits. Krell has been nothing but impressive as long as I've known them, but Halcro felt a little shaky - the company as well as the product (an early SSP100 I believe it was). A few somewhat serious issues which may have been fixed through firmware updates since then.

However, after luckily getting a hold of a rarely-seen Accuphase HT processor the others felt irrelevant. These are extremely rare in the States and it's a shame. For some reason, Accuphase just never marketed them, and obviously never wanted to cut corner to make the price more attractive (I had one digital board repaired and it was >$6K), so that makes for an ethereal product.

With particular respect to sound quality, it is hands down the best processor I've ever experienced and I have trouble imagining HT sound improving beyond it.
post #193 of 209 Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

I've tried Krell Processors (still own one) and demoed Meridian, Mark Levinson, Theta and Halcro. They're amazing units. I might have picked the Meridian if forced to decide, though each had its individual merits. Krell has been nothing but impressive as long as I've known them, but Halcro felt a little shaky - the company as well as the product (an early SSP100 I believe it was). A few somewhat serious issues which may have been fixed through firmware updates since then.

However, after luckily getting a hold of a rarely-seen Accuphase HT processor the others felt irrelevant. These are extremely rare in the States and it's a shame. For some reason, Accuphase just never marketed them, and obviously never wanted to cut corner to make the price more attractive (I had one digital board repaired and it was >$6K), so that makes for an ethereal product.

With particular respect to sound quality, it is hands down the best processor I've ever experienced and I have trouble imagining HT sound improving beyond it.

Theta processors are extremely varied in configuration and models. Have you tried the Casablanca HD with Xtreme dacs?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #194 of 209 Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

Yea, the Accuphase website makes no mention of a home theater SSP:

http://www.accuphase.com/product.html

How long ago was this that you had an Accuphase HT SSP? I presume it was pre-HDMI?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #195 of 209 Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Yea, the Accuphase website makes no mention of a home theater SSP:

http://www.accuphase.com/product.html

How long ago was this that you had an Accuphase HT SSP? I presume it was pre-HDMI?

I couldn't find it on their Product Museum page, which goes back to 1973.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #196 of 209 Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM

I still have the Accuphase (and will never sell it). It's a VX-700 which they released in 2005. You are correct, there's no HDMI (DVI). I run HDMI directly to the TV and let the processor handle the lip-syncing.

It's on Accuphase's site here with very little information:

http://www.accuphase.com/model/vx-700.html
post #197 of 209 Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Theta processors are extremely varied in configuration and models. Have you tried the Casablanca HD with Xtreme dacs?

Good question -- unfortunately I'm not sure which DACs it had.
post #198 of 209 Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Here's the pdf for the VX-700.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/vx-700_et.pdf

Growing Older But Not Up
post #199 of 209 Old 01-14-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's listed in their product museum under Home Theater
post #200 of 209 Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM

Good evening. How long ago did you demo all those high-end pre/pros?

I've been a Linn guys for decades. I am in the process of buidling a new home theater and do not want to buy Linn's old flagship (Kisto) because it is no longer supported but it is IMHO the best sounding Pre/Pro I've ever heard. I am taking a two phase approach in my quest 1). Compile a short-list of Pre/Pro that "must" be demoed. 2). Demo all the items on my short-list and let my ears & eyes make the decision.

I have actually already demoed the Theta Casablanca III HD, which did not make the cut. I noticed two of the units you mentioned are also on my list to demo (Meridan and ML). Why would you have chosen the Meridian over the others?
post #201 of 209 Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ADA's new reference looks pretty special

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #202 of 209 Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bear View Post

I noticed two of the units you mentioned are also on my list to demo (Meridan and ML). Why would you have chosen the Meridian over the others?

There was an immediacy and naturalism with the Meridian that was a step above the ML. That's subjective, and it will change depending on your amps/speakers, but that was my impression. Another step or two above that was the Accuphase. I've truly not heard another pre like it before or since. The new McIntosh is on its way here but I don't expect it to make the grade, sonically, compared to these others.
post #203 of 209 Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Just like "Matjet", my current configuration is the Krell 707 mated with a pair of Krell Evo 600e mono amps (for the two front speakers). Been running this combo for about a year now. Absolutely jaw dropping sound performance! Best I have heard in many years of constant tweaking/upgrading... I I have tried many different combos of pre-amp and amps in the past (from ARC, Krell, Levinson, etc). Nothing better I have ever heard than this 707 + 600e combo.

A year or two ago, my prior rig consisted of a Krell 202 pre-amp, Krell s1200u processor, and the Evo 400 monos amps. I would say that the 2 channel sound quality differential between the s1200u processor to the 202 pre-amp was major...well worth having a separate pre-amp for 2 channel duties. However, the 707 bested the 2 channel sound quality of the 202.....although not by as big of a margin as the s1200u vs. the 202. The 707 also allowed me to collapse my system and ditch the separate processor + separate pre-amp set-up.

Final note - the upgrade from the Evo 400 monoblocks to the Evo 600e was very noticable - driving my power hungry Revel Salon 2s. The 400 amps admirably did the job....however, the 600e amps just took me to that point I thought I would not ever achieve (i.e blissful audiophile contentment with no upgrade bug:)). Anyway, hope this is helpful to other Krell followers.
post #204 of 209 Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce328i View Post

Just like "Matjet", my current configuration is the Krell 707 mated with a pair of Krell Evo 600e mono amps (for the two front speakers). Been running this combo for about a year now. Absolutely jaw dropping sound performance! Best I have heard in many years of constant tweaking/upgrading... I I have tried many different combos of pre-amp and amps in the past (from ARC, Krell, Levinson, etc). Nothing better I have ever heard than this 707 + 600e combo.
A year or two ago, my prior rig consisted of a Krell 202 pre-amp, Krell s1200u processor, and the Evo 400 monos amps. I would say that the 2 channel sound quality differential between the s1200u processor to the 202 pre-amp was major...well worth having a separate pre-amp for 2 channel duties. However, the 707 bested the 2 channel sound quality of the 202.....although not by as big of a margin as the s1200u vs. the 202. The 707 also allowed me to collapse my system and ditch the separate processor + separate pre-amp set-up.
Final note - the upgrade from the Evo 400 monoblocks to the Evo 600e was very noticable - driving my power hungry Revel Salon 2s. The 400 amps admirably did the job....however, the 600e amps just took me to that point I thought I would not ever achieve (i.e blissful audiophile contentment with no upgrade bug:)). Anyway, hope this is helpful to other Krell followers.

That's my plan also - to upgrade my current Krell setup to a 707/600e combo. Hearing your experience and evaluation of the upgrade was very helpful - thanks.

(I always thought that a non-upgrade-itis audiophile was an oxymoron - that's definitely an enlightened state I'd like to achieve biggrin.gif )

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #205 of 209 Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Very interesting. I used to have No 320S Mark Levinson preamp, on a Lexicon MC-12 (v5 room eq), and No 436 monos for front mains, then I first replaced No 436 with Evo 400 monos, for a huge improvement, then the No 320S was replaced with the 2 box Krell Evo 202 for another big improvement and about 1.5-2 yrs ago, replaced the Mc-12 and 202 combo with 707 and it was jaw dropping and counter intuitive; I did several A/B in the store with 202 and 707 for 2 channel and it was unbelievable (I had test driven at the store, Mac, ML and other top of the line ssp, none matched the 707s). Since then, about a month or so later, replaced 400s with 600e and I have been for a real treat ever since. I run CAST from Transparent between 707 and 600e, then Transparent Opus MM2 from 600e to Wilson MAXX 3s on the 2 channel side. I am pleasantly surprised that the amp and preamp sequence that you followed is what I did too.
Enjoy........
post #206 of 209 Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
To me, it is actually pretty easy to rank these:

First, there's Meridian's 861 surround sound processor and then there is the rest. It's not just bias toward Meridian's unit, but also the fact that its Meridian's code that DolbyTruHD is employing. Meridian's technological capabilites are simply more advanced than every other manufacturer's.

Add in the 861's Tri-Filed Mode, apodising filters for music, proprietary software rather than off-the-shelf DAC chips, the length of Meridian's experience with surround sound codecs, and it's an easy choice (to me).

That said, you can get good sonics from other manufacturer's out there. My favorite ones in order are:

Mark Levinson; Terrific sound; problem is, it's discontinued.
Theta CIII with Extreme DACs or individual GEN VIIIs running the amps straight in: Absolutely excellent sound, and it's the only unit that can accommodate mega multi-channels (12.8 anyone?); it's reliable, too.
Classe SSP-800: the lowest cost top shelf unit and it has excellent sound, great reliability.
Linn Kisto: Aboslutely superb musical sound but waaaay too quirky and now obsolete.
Bryston SP3: Like the SPs before it, it has the simplicity that some crave, combined with good sonics.

My surprise is the McIntosh MX151. I'm pleasantly surprisedat how good it is.

My last processor to cite that I've spent a little time with is the Steinway Lingdorf and while it was hard to evaluate it under the circumstances, it certainly seemed to be doing the right things.
post #207 of 209 Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM

I have recently gotten the latest version of the Krell 707, Evolution 3D Processor and I was in the process of putting it though it’s paces, if you know what I mean. You are comparing this unit here to others, so I thought this would fit in if I discuss the Levenson 502 and then give a review of the Krell (let me know if this should have been a new thread)

I will discuss what it is and does, but also let me discuss the Mark Levinson 502, which originally came out at the same time. That unit, my biggest mistake in audio, is rightfully discontinued. I had bought and was satisfied with many Mark Levinson pieces since 1985. The Mark Levinson company, or Madrigal, was a small company that produced great sounding equipment and stood by it. The Levinson Company was then bought over by Harman Kardon who really didn’t seem to know how to fit this company into their vast holdings. So, it became a small part of a company that was mass-producing consumer-products. I bought the ML 40 over a decade ago and it eventually stopped working well. After a half a dozen trips back to the service department they admitted they couldn’t fix it and said that they would give me a good price if I bought the 502. I should have turned them down.

Its competitor was the Krell 707. The Mark Levenson unit came with a large high-definition screen on the front which allowed you to navigate the menus and to see the video that you would be controlling. The Krell unit had a very small display and, to be frank, very small buttons on the front which I thought would be hard to see in the dark. What I did not realize was that the Krell unit had easy discrete buttons and you did not go through a long menu for quick adjustments. This would mean that if I wanted to do something simple such as raise the volume on the center channel or lower the base, I had to go through complicated menus to do so.

A big difference also was that the Mark Levinson upscaler boosted everything to 1080P. The Krell unit doesn’t do that, it only up scaled analog signals, not any from an HDMI.

The first unit came to my house and they removed my Mark Levenson 40. This unit and the next (believe or not) three unit failed within minutes a couple wouldn’t even start up. At this point I wanted my money back but my dealer said he could not get it from Levinson and so he could not give it to me.

The unit came with HDMI 1.1 which did mean it played my Blu-ray. But it didn’t play 3-D or some other functions now available. It also didn’t play Dolby or DTS HD or any of the new surround sound modes that have come out since. There was a work around for this. You had to get a Blu-ray player that had a LPCM mode where the blu-ray player did all the work. So you’re bypassing that expensive circuitry that you paid for in the Levenson unit. The Levinson Company announced that this machine would never be updated.

There ass a loud fan that goes on and off in the unit. When you are listening to soft music, even with the unit OFF, you can hear it.

Well, kept breaking. The last time none of the triggers worked. Also the machine froze many times. You’d have to reboot it which took about five minutes. Worst of all, it allowed hum began coming out of the sub-woofer. This usually happen when there was quiet on that channel. It happened on all video inputs. The Levinson people had the machine for a couple of months (they didn’t have the parts) and returned it to me saying that they fix the triggers and the freezing but there was nothing wrong with the bass. Well, the freezing was still there, and even after I had the manufacturer (Thiel) check out the bass unit, the hummmm was still there.

My dealer replaced this unit with the Krell 707 3D. While I don’t like the smaller buttons, they do have discrete codes to put on a universal remote which means I won’t be using those buttons very much anyway. But the buttons set things, and don’t lead you to a menu. Yeah, the Krell has a few less functions, but these turned out to be functions I never used any way. The Krell Company has people I can speak too. One of them said, in fact, he’d like to come over after I set it up and go through everything with me to see that it works. That’s just great!

Without a doubt, without an on screen menu and a better set of instructions, the Krell is a bit difficult to set up. A better interface would have made that so much easier. The instruction booklet is hard to use. However, once set up this machine is as easy as can be. It is a delight to use. Their remote is so multi-functional, while the ML just got you into menus. The machine is quiet, but it does give off a little heat. Not much.

I had been using the Krell for a week and had been very happy with it. The surround sound was great. The picture from my Oppo 105 was perfect going into my new JVC DLA RS66 projector. It did not, as the Levenson did, covert a 720p to a 1080p image, but it looked fine. The standard def images looked remarkably better than the Levinson.

My system is: Mark Levinson 32 pre-amp, Revel Salon 2 front speakers, Revel Voice 2 middle, Thiel Sub-woofer 2 and three Powerplanes rear and surround; Krell Evolution 600 for front speakers, Krell 450Mcx middle, and Proceed HPA-3 amp for surround and back.

But then came the problems. I have a 6.1 system, with one rear and two surround channels. Everything worked OK until I put on a Blu Ray with DTS HD sound. I lost the two surround channels. Then, when I changed my settings and eliminated the rear channel I got the surrounds back. While changing the menu the machine froze a few times. And then I began to lose all sound from channels that were not Dolby 5.1, but Dolby 2.0. On Wednesday the machine went back to Krell and I hope to get it back next week. This is a major plus: They called, they gave me information, they are working on it now and I am being kept in the loop. They are convinced it is a software problem which they can resolve easily. Gosh, I hope so!

Surround Pre-Amp: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; Rears Proceed HPA-3; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable:...
post #208 of 209 Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM

I put up a review at
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449438/krell-evolution-707-3d-processor

Surround Pre-Amp: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; Rears Proceed HPA-3; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable:...
post #209 of 209 Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thx lefisc - good to hear more on the Krell as not many reports from users are around - sound like its a great unit.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page