Liked: 11
can't get the page to come up. probably because I'm out of the country -
post #183 of 218 Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I did it very quickly (less than 2 minutes) and came up with 4. Age 48 and an Apple Cinema Display 23in - so both as old as the hills.
abatsky likes this.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #184 of 218 Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perfect score here. I think I took around 5 to 10 minutes. Very proud of myself. (Age 40)

My hearing on the other hand is abysmal.....

Kevin
post #185 of 218 Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Score of 19 on a 5 year old MacBook after staying up late last night for New Years.....
(at inlaws home)

Will try it on my 27" iMac calibrated monitor at home.
50 year old male.
post #186 of 218 Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
19 on the first try with my 40" samsung LCD. Will try again.

home theater addict
post #187 of 218 Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Seems my problem is with greens. Every other color im perfect with. Why is that?

home theater addict
post #188 of 218 Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Your score: 22
Age range: 40-49

Maybe about 2-3 minutes to do it... :-s

PSN, XBL: LoomingDoom
post #189 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM

And on a different monitor (and taking a little longer time):

Your score: 8
Age range: 40-49

PSN, XBL: LoomingDoom
post #190 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Perfect Score - with proof tongue.gif

post #191 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm 32 years old. Male and RGB colour blind.

I found this so difficult. Took me over an hour till I was happy. My score was 239. Hahaha.

No wonder sound is the most important factor to me in life. Sound and smell.
abatsky likes this.
post #192 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Seems my problem is with greens. Every other color im perfect with. Why is that?

If I understand correctly, my sometime blue|green discrimination problems are a sign of possible mild tritanomaly (so called 'blue-yellow' color blindness)...
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #193 of 218 Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
One try, got a 4...could definitely tell that I had a couple wrong but I just couldn't differentiate long enough to move them into the right places. Took me about 15 minutes, was also watching TV at the time.
post #194 of 218 Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
64 years old here. Got a 36 the first time. then I went full screen and zoomed in my out of calibration 30" pro monitor and got a perfect score. I have daylight balanced CFLs in here, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'm pretty happy. I was a house painter for much of my working life, and a semi-pro landscape photographer, so it's good to know my color sense works OK.

Thanks for the thread Alan. that was fun. smile.gif

Dave

post #195 of 218 Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19

45 Male and got a 12....guess I will try again and see how close I can get to perfect.

post #196 of 218 Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Last week I had my right eye 67 year old caterac replaced with a glass caterac. The colors I see with my new right eye caterac are narkedly different then the colors through my aged left eye caterac. I suspect my right eye caterac has significantly yellowed with age filtering out part of the yellow and making reds and browns much more pronounced. Its almost as if the colors in the articial caterac eye are of higher luminosity substamtially making them lighter and moving them more toward green. Everything is much lighter in my right eye.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #197 of 218 Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 932
In the following image, I wonder if there's a way for you to tell me your score and how easy it was for you to "make" your brain see squares A and B as the exact same shade.

You all have seen this before, but on the off chance you haven't, the A and B squares are the same shade, but the apparatus within your brain responsible for "color constancy" mucks with it.

I'm betting that the higher scores have a harder time with it. But I'm just guessing:

Without covering anything up and just by staring directly at it, can you "force" yourself to see them as the same shade?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #198 of 218 Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've done the colour test a few times and got a perfect score each time, but I cannot for the life of me make the A and B squares "look" the same in my mind.

I'm also horrible at picking paint colours for walls and visualizing the paint chip colour on the wall. I will spend hours agonizing over two very similar shades of light beige because the difference on the chips is obvious to me, but once on the wall a) it never seems to quite match the chip and b) I can't visualize it on the wall before painting.
post #199 of 218 Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I've done the colour test a few times and got a perfect score each time, but I cannot for the life of me make the A and B squares "look" the same in my mind.

I'm also horrible at picking paint colours for walls and visualizing the paint chip colour on the wall. I will spend hours agonizing over two very similar shades of light beige because the difference on the chips is obvious to me, but once on the wall a) it never seems to quite match the chip and b) I can't visualize it on the wall before painting.

Hah. Well, with my population sample of 1, I'm right on target. LOL.

sebberry, look at this image: If you look at this image and let your brain "relax" and see the two squares as the same (can you?), if you then cover up the rectangle with your left hand, can you maintain them as the same, or do they snap back to different without any control?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #200 of 218 Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Liked: 12
scored an 8, screwed up on the blue/blue-green and pink/pink-orange areas. Terrible monitor so maybe I can do better, very interesting.
post #201 of 218 Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM

I am considered color deficient, I didn't even bother trying the test cause I would fail. But it'd be interesting to know how everyone does on the Color Blind Test. Here is a link to the test: http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

Other than the first "baseline" image, I can't see the numbers at all.
post #202 of 218 Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
On a 120Hz-native-refresh gaming monitor (with LightBoost enabled, optimized for motion clarity, not contrast) -- only 700:1 contrast ratio -- and I still got a perfect score (0)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #203 of 218 Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

On a 120Hz-native-refresh gaming monitor (with LightBoost enabled, optimized for motion clarity, not contrast) -- only 700:1 contrast ratio -- and I still got a perfect score (0)

I think having the patience to complete the test is part of the issue. smile.gif

post #204 of 218 Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Mark. With your perfect score, can you look at the initial color constancy photo I posted here? (Not the one with the long rectangle in it, but the one with just the checkerboard and cylinder).

Without blocking any of the image, and just staring at it, can you "force" your mind to see the A and B squares as the same shade? I'm betting that the higher the color score, the harder it will be.

post #205 of 218 Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I think having the patience to complete the test is part of the issue. smile.gif

I ran out of patience so I hired an ISF certified calibrator (even though I am ISF certified) to take the test for me. He scored so high (bad) he gave up doing calibrations and instead is opening a micro brewery.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #206 of 218 Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Quote:

I ran out of patience so I hired an ISF certified calibrator (even though I am ISF certified) to take the test for me. He scored so high (bad) he gave up doing calibrations and instead is opening a micro brewery.

Might improve his eyesight. Usually does in the dating world...

post #207 of 218 Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Ok,

On the quadmac...perfect...cinema display...it in calibration too...

This is in my theater and used for recording video and audio...no surprise!

Then the audio pc...1440x1080 LCD display...Hp...well, I guess 3 isn't too bad...

Then monitor 2...11...huh!

Then through the sim2...6...maybe I need to listen to goofy on that wow disc!...actually wasn't too surprised...I've got a bulb that is well beyond its life right now...yes I have one coming in...so no sense calibrating it till I replace it...

Next, my gf computer...ips display...perfect...cool!

My desktop...left LCD monitor...6 frown.gif right 13! WTF!

Ok, my office desktop computer sucks!...and I don't use it for any video or color...just programming...and ffffff is always ffffff!

kids gaming system...2ips displays...0 on each...a 4 on his LCD...

Now, to his Samsung plasma...6...but I didn't check his settings...

Now, I tried on my iPad...but no go...so I ran my rdp from a couple systems...

Yes, I am that bored! And it took me a few mins to find where to config for true color...

Ipad1 3 on my desktop...that's better than being there...not cool!

Ipad2 17 on my desk...huh!...a 14 on gf machine!...ipad2 sucks for color...

Ipad3 13 my desk...9 gf machine...

I didn't try the mini...or iPods or iPhones

Now, none of these areas have flicker lights of any kind...I hate blinking...

My office does have many windows...could be an issue...

Theater, full light control...

Gf studio...some light but no backlight issues.,.and all color corrected lighting...yes...she is an artsy type...and at least she went to school for that too...

So, I feel the test is good...I know I have no color issues with my eyes...I'm also a commercial pilot and instructor...

Now the numbers were off more than I thought they would be...that's why I continued...if everything came out 0 it would even be less fun...smile.gif

My 2 cents.
Bret

My Theater:
36x52 Three rows of seating plus back bar area and 15' stage in front.
100% control over lighting in room via Crestron lighting systems.
Sim2 D60 Projected on a 196" DaLite 1.3x screen.
Onkyo SC-886P Preamp feeding all QSC K-Series speakers. K12's Mains, K8's Side, center and Rear,...
post #208 of 218 Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Holy crap! You are bored.

post #209 of 218 Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Without blocking any of the image, and just staring at it, can you "force" your mind to see the A and B squares as the same shade? I'm betting that the higher the color score, the harder it will be.
It takes a minute to visualize, but I can sense it's the same color.
But it's hard at first: I can tell it's an illusion, but it's hard to reconcile the illusion.

To my eyes, they become the same color when I look exactly between the two squares, along the border of their adjacent squares.
I can tell that it was an optical illusion that's fading in and out; the more I look at the midpoint between the two squares.
Then it snaps -- the two squares look exactly the same color to my eyes.

But if I look far away -- especially peripheral vision -- the illusion comes back. A definitely "looks" much darker.
Or if I look directly at a square -- the illusion comes back, too.
Unless I've been staring at the midpoint (never directly) for a while and my brain becomes convinced it's the same color.
Then A and B look the same color when I stare at them directly for a while afterwards.
Then when I walk away and come back a few minutes later, A and B looks different again.
My brain is switching modes. It's the rabbit looking like a duck, and vice-versa.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #210 of 218 Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It takes a minute to visualize, but I can sense it's the same color.
But it's hard at first: I can tell it's an illusion, but it's hard to reconcile the illusion.

To my eyes, they become the same color when I look exactly between the two squares, along the border of their adjacent squares.
I can tell that it was an optical illusion that's fading in and out; the more I look at the midpoint between the two squares.
Then it snaps -- the two squares look exactly the same color to my eyes.

But if I look far away -- especially peripheral vision -- the illusion comes back. A definitely "looks" much darker.
Or if I look directly at a square -- the illusion comes back, too.
Unless I've been staring at the midpoint (never directly) for a while and my brain becomes convinced it's the same color.
Then A and B look the same color when I stare at them directly for a while afterwards.
Then when I walk away and come back a few minutes later, A and B looks different again.
My brain is switching modes. It's the rabbit looking like a duck, and vice-versa.

Yeah, I had similar experiences at first. But then I got good enough to look directly at either square (focused on the letter) and have it snap back and forth on command. But when I did that for a while in a single sitting I wouldn't feel quite right afterward. Maybe some parts of the brain aren't meant to be messed with? LOL.....

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page