Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey, this is the $20K forum.

Why don't we make it easy for folks to find out about our own AV gear, systems, rooms, etc by posting it here?

I'll be the first.

But since I already spent hours posting my theater stuff, I'll give you my link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=sim2

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Steve, us this the 10th thread directing folks to your room?

That said, and in the spirit of the thread, my room is one of many being featured in an Electronic House coffee table book coming out next month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New seating to go with my new RS25:
LL

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #4 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Jeff. How many copies of the book did they make you buy? Are you going to put one in the waiting room for your office?

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #5 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Jeff. How many copies of the book did they make you buy? Are you going to put one in the waiting room for your office?

Just one. If my patients saw my theater in a hard bound book, I'd never hear the end of my 'high' fees.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #6 of 65 Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Steve, us this the 10th thread directing folks to your room?

That said, and in the spirit of the thread, my room is one of many being featured in an Electronic House coffee table book coming out next month.

Thats ready already. I had my chance to apply to be in that book, but I was teed out and to busy to put together my normal large submission package and let it ride. Plus I was charitable and thought I'd let you have the AVS entry because you "drill" me so much. Congrats!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #7 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Steve Thanks for starting this thread: we really would like other members to post or link with details of their systems

Jeff: congratulations: looking forward to seeing it
post #8 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Congratulations Jeff ! I guess I'm safe to put one in my waiting room.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #9 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Congratulations Jeff ! I guess I'm safe to put one in my waiting room.

Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Steve Thanks for starting this thread: we really would like other members to post or link with details of their systems

Jeff: congratulations: looking forward to seeing it

Thanks guys!

Hope it comes out OK...

post #10 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Steve. Jeff just let his people put the submission package together for him. You just don`t have enough people.

Steve could have had enough handlers if he'd cut out the 1000 cable holders he has spread out around his room!!

post #11 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would go and take a photo of my theater and post it, but four of Tiger's ex-girlfriends are hiding out here to keep away from the media.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go back in there and show them how to work it.

post #12 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you guys were to start a room from scratch (which some of you did), what would you do??

That is my position now. Originally I was going to modify a basement and turn it into an HT. The house is coming down instead and we're building from scratch. She gets her kitchen, I get my HT. Any size, any height. Above ground. Below ground. Wherever I want. I should be thinking about the rest of the house's design, but I keep thinking about the theater!! lol... I don't want to turn this into a design thread, but since this thread is about our HTs I figured I direct it somewhere...and the equipment I currently own falls in this thread's catergory...as well as the future projector.

Bounce some ideas in here.

(Website)

Video Contributor

post #13 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 443
How large a screen do you want and how many do you want to seat.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #14 of 65 Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Here is a link to a few pictures of my room.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ome%20Theater/

Here is my equipment list

Sources and Video

Dish Network Satellite 722K DVR
Stewart Ultimate 4Way 135-inch 16x9 Grayhawk screen
JVC RS10 Projector
Integra 80.1 Pre-amp/Processor3
Classe CAM350 350 watt monoblock amps for front left, right and center speakers
Classe CAV180 180 watt's per channel 5-channel amp for sides, rear and rear center speakers
OPPO BDP 83 Blu Ray player Speakers

Aerial 10t front left and right
Aerial CC5 for front center
Aerial SR3 for surrounds
Aerial Model 6 for rear centers
Aerial SW12 for front left and right sub's (paired with 10T's)
Velodyne HGS12 for rear sub's

Cables and Accessories

Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects and speaker cables
Cardas Golden Hexlink 5C for subwoofer interconnects
Lutron Grafick eye for lighting control
Xantech IR distribution system

Seating

4 Lane leather recliners in front row
2 Berkline leather reclining couches on rear platform

Earl
post #15 of 65 Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mark, I'm thinking of seating 9-12...but even as I think that, the room could fill up quickly with some events. I still want to think about performance, so I don't want to kill a sweet spot because of adding more seats and having the rear channels up high on the back riser...I'd like to make sure that all tweeters are at ear level...

As far as screen size...that all depends on the final room size and distance from the screen. My current screen has a width of 8ft...I will be changing the screen material as well as the size to something bigger. I like the concept of CIH, but I don't like what the current crop of devices and method of employment do to image quality. If a "2.39:1 anamorphic squeeze" was done on BD much like 16:9 was done on a 4:3 DVD, then I'd be open to it. As it stands, there's just too much resolution loss for my liking especially when going through another lens. I know others will disagree or be willing to pay the small sacrifice. I would rather just have a curtain system drop and expand over the black areas top and bottom (or at the sides).

I'm willing to sit a little closer for 1080p. There will no doubt be a time when we start watching higher resolutions and the projector will change over time. I don't want everything to be stuck in "1080p past" when the future comes. BTW I will be seeking a new projo as well, something that will have good light output for a larger screen. I can't tell you how many calibrations I do for people who buy too big of screens with low light output projectors, and then on top of it kill the image with a screen like a Firehawk. Talk about "dim"...

The rest of the system is all Dunlavy: SC-IV/a for fronts and backs, the HRCC center, two TSW-VI subs, 2 5x200 Theta Dreadnaught amps, an Ayre K-1xe 2-ch preamp and an Integra DTC-9.8 HT pre. Current cabling is all Transparent "Plus" for interconnects and speaker...no doubt these will need to be replaced. Not sure if I will change any of the equipment...maybe the amps for monoblocks beside each speaker instead...haven't made up my mind yet... This can all be changed in the future. It's the room that's gotta get done. Size. Electricty. Seating. Etc.

(Website)

Video Contributor

post #16 of 65 Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recommend above ground highly
post #17 of 65 Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

If you guys were to start a room from scratch (which some of you did), what would you do??

That is my position now. Originally I was going to modify a basement and turn it into an HT. The house is coming down instead and we're building from scratch. She gets her kitchen, I get my HT. Any size, any height. Above ground. Below ground. Wherever I want. I should be thinking about the rest of the house's design, but I keep thinking about the theater!! lol... I don't want to turn this into a design thread, but since this thread is about our HTs I figured I direct it somewhere...and the equipment I currently own falls in this thread's catergory...as well as the future projector.

Bounce some ideas in here.

+1 - above the ground.

Mine is on the main floor off the game room. Convenient as heck. Going to the basement, for me, is a buzz kill. Main floor makes it more part of the house.

post #18 of 65 Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ok I'll give it a go:

Room 1: Home theater room (23 * 20 *10). Its the 'next' project (which has been on hold for years, but the room is functional for me, but not the most estetically pleasing yet).

Procced AVP2, but changed to Onkyo Pro 885
Procced HPA2 * 3 dual monoaural monoblocks (6 channels) 250/500/1000 watts
Cinepro 600 * 2 power amps
Procced PMDT modular transport, stupid laser not reading disc recently, and now trying to find another replacement laser will be impossible, and not worth the $$ to repair
Monster Power AVS 2000 SS Voltage stabilizor
Monster Power HTPS 7000 MK II SS Line conditioner(don't give me grief about Monster, I got a great deal on these, and they look great, with the blue lights and all, lol)
VMPS RM 40's main speaker, massive monliths that have outstanding sound
VMPS LRC center (i need to upgrade to the RM30C one of these days)
Atlantic Technology THX 350's I think for side and surrounds
Epik Empires * 2 Dual powered subs, just got them, now the room really shakes
Pioneer Elite FPJ1 projector
Elite high gain 133" screen
Xbox 360
PS3
Zero Gravity reclining char (for me), with a couple of old sofas for the rest)
A whole bunch of old equipment I just can't get rid off (but do not use) like 2-3 VHS players, Unity Motion HD receiver, Focus Enhancements CenterStage CS-HD Video Scaler, and tons of boxes for all this eqipment.

Its my man cave, tons of wires everywhere, my wife hates it but I like it. One day will look like a real home theater. On a side note, I love(d) the Procced stuff, but like many I was/am very upset with Madrigal for leaving dedicated Proceed owners out to dry. If not for the HDMI issues and newer codecs, the AVP2 is an outstanding pre-amp and can still hold its own especially with 2 channel audio. The PMDT was an excellent transport, but because of what happened, I will never, ever buy a Harmon product again. I also learned the hard way and will likely never spend that kind of money again on pre-amps and transports.

Room 2 : family room
Finally had bult in cabinate made, looks outstanding (one day I will have pictures). Cabinates are 12 feet high and 12 feet wide.
Dual 3 feet mid atlantic racks
Pioneer Elite Kuro 141 60" plasma
Pioneer Elite Sc 05 Receiver
Xbox 360
Dish DVR 720
Control 4 Multichannel amp for whole house audio
Control 4 HC 300 controller
Monster HTPC 7000 MK II
Kavant Gracia mains (I like ribbon speakers)
Solus in ceiling sides and surrounds
Epik Vanquik 12" sealed Sub
12" Control 4 in wall touch screen

Room 3: master Bedroom
Again, really nice bulit in cabinates 12 feet high and about 14 feet wide
Pioneer Elite Kuro 151 60" Plasma
Denon Avr 1910
Dish DVR 720
Xbox 360
Control 4 HC 200 controller
Control 4 12" touch screen in wall
Monster HTPC 700 MK II
Mid atlantic Rack
Sound dynamic 400 ti (my 1st speakers from 18 years ago, they still rock)
Solus in ceiling rear surrounds
Epik vanquish 12" sealed sub

Room 4: Exercise room
Hitachi Ultravision 60" rear projection LCD (my od TV from family room/master (I gave 1 to inlaws, but kept this). Once it dies I'll probably get a 50" LED or something
Onkyo Sr507 receiver
Sony DVD player
Klipsh Synergy B-2 (just ordered on Amazon yesterday)
Solus in ceiling speakers for rears
Next to exercise room sitting area has 42" Panasonic Plasma, that will likely go to guest casita, and I will replace with 42" LED

My ultimate goal is to have the 'home theater room' look like a home theater, likely have cabinates (wood) for the front theater wall (23 feet wide is a lot of wood). with the 133" screen, and a cooler rack for all that heat the equipement produces. If anyone has seen the Star Power room they have in Scottsdale, thats the look I want (but not for that price, perhaps 1/5th that price, lol). I also want to eventually get the home theater integrated with Control 4, and eventually have a HD server to steam audio/video to the rest of the house. The new apple TV thats comming out might do it all wirelessly and that might be a much cheaper way to go and forget about bluray/DVD completely (the Xbox already does this instant 1080p). We just did a major remodel to our new house last year (all the cabinatry, including large amounts in a home office, 2000 feet of wood flooring, tons of new light fixtures, more lighting, house extension (exersie room) paint, tons of stone work, literally, etc all with the help of an interior designer as there is no way we could do this ourself. Were are not done as now that most of the construction stuff is done, my wife is on the path for furniture and blinds etc so I figure my home theater may never get done at this rate, lol.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #19 of 65 Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

See my web site . All updated except for the Oppo BD 83 now as the player.

www.artsonneborn.com

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #20 of 65 Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Jeff --- way to go. Congrats!

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #21 of 65 Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Mike ... above ground and bigger if you can. Good luck on the project!

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #22 of 65 Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Mark Levinson + Meridian + Revel + Kimbre Select Kables
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 65 Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM

One more low quality low rez picture...
LL
post #24 of 65 Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Lepin, love the room and the system. Also a Levnson/Revel man myself.

Silence is overrated!
post #25 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Here's mine...

Classe SSP800 processor
Pass Labs X250 amp (Mains)
ADA PTM 6150 amp (surrounds)
Triad Platinum LCR
Dali Helicon IW200 (surrounds)
JL Audio F113 subs (dual)
JVC RS20 Projector
Oppo BDP83 BD Player
Stewart StudioTek 130
HTPC Origenae M10, Intel i5 Clarkdale processor, HP Media Server EX490, 12TB storage, My Movies 3.14.
XBOX 360
PS3
Wii

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #26 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

And mine ....

Meridian 861v6 Processor (fabulous piece of kit)
Meridian HD621 Audio Processor
Meridian 800v4 (for CD and DVD-A)
Oppo BDP83 modded (for everything else)
Genesis 201 Speakers (R and L)
Modded Genesis 501 Speaker (center)
Bohlender-Graebner 520i Speakers (5 of them for sides, rears and center rear)
Bohlender-Graebner center speaker (overhead/envelop channel)
VTL MB-450 Series II Monoblock Amplifier (for R, C and L)
Krell Showcase 7 (for all other channels)
Lots of subs: Martin-logan Descent, Genesis 928s, VMPS large sub, Danley DTS-10, BagEnd Infrasub 18, Sunfire D10 and D8
Clark Synthesis trasducer for couch (provides 'bang for the butt')
ADA 5.1/Smart Circle Surround Processors (for center rear and overhead channels)

Sony VPL-VW200
Dalite Hi-Power screena and automated masking system
Panamorph 480 lens and automated sled
Lumagen Radiance XE Scaler

PS Audio Power Plant Premiere (for all front end components)
Isotek Titan (3 units for all power amps)
PS Audio Quintet (for rear subs)
PS Audio Duo (for PJ)
PS Audio Soloists (10)

Audio and speaker cables are predominantly from The-Music-Cable
Digital cables predominantly Audioquest
Custom power cables

Room is pretty ordinary - no fancy theatre seating or popcorn makers - but extensive acoustical treatments. Room errs more to the 'dead room' than 'live room'.

Best purchase - tie between Meridian 861 and Panamorph lens
Worst purchase - super-tweeters that not even my dog seems to notice

I don't believe in most tweaks, including surper-expensive cables; nor, for that matter, do I beleive in bigfoot, the loch ness monster or alien abductions!

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #27 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One interesting thing I've noticed with all this mega money flying around is that most if not all are using a $500 BR player [Oppo]!

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #28 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

One interesting thing I've noticed with all this mega money flying around is that most if not all are using a $500 BR player [Oppo]!

Is there a better one ?

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #29 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Is there a better one ?

Art

I luv my Marantz UD9004. Had a few weeks now. Not cheap but I know how to get good deals - still not cheap.

Audio via analog out into a top multi-channel preamp like Theta Six Shooter is wonderfully remarkable.

Video via HDMI - I think it is better than the Oppo. I just hooked the Oppo back up so I can compare as I watch stuff. Though I really don't have to do that, because with the Marantz, the good transfers are sensational and the poor transfers just seem much more naturally 3d sharpwise and better detail. But I am holding off final verdict on video over next few weeks, for as I watch blu rays on Marantz, I'll run them a bit on Oppo afterward and see what I think. By the way, initially, I didn't like the Marantz picture, But turned high sharpness down to -1 (an AVS review said to do that) and also turned brightness up +1, that is, in the player, and ever since I have been in heavan watching blu ray after blu ray for both audio and video. Again, the final verdict, is the video better, needs to wait a bit and let me just watch stuff at my leisure and enjoy. Frankly, so long that it was as good videowise as the Oppo, I was happy, given its killer analog audio.

post #30 of 65 Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I know that in my case, the Oppo 'merely' has to function as a transport - both for audio and video. In that role, I remain unconvinced that more expensive spinners will be any better (and I tried a few others!). Certainly if one is using the scaling capability for video and/or the analog audio ouptuts then the comparison with other players my suffer.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the possibility of the Ayre Bluray player, but its price, and that it is still based on the Oppo ..... well, the Meridian 861v6 was my big nut for this year!

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page