Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #571 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well, we all know BD players have sophisticated multi-channel steering that upstages the best of the SSPs....

It is clear, that if HT is your #1 priority, the Theta 6 shooter should be your last choice as a reference processor. It is a multi channel music machine, using yesterdays DD / DTS technology.

Even with HDMI,my guess is the chipset for multichannel processing and steering will be the same 5-10 year old design. All you are getting for $5K, is a $250 HDMI switcher.

Allen has implied that he hasn't sold a loaded CBIII (Extreme DACs, balanced, etc) in years. It is obvious why...

Want to know the best SSP for HT, just follow my lead.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well, we all know BD players have sophisticated multi-channel steering that upstages the best of the SSPs....

It is clear, that if HT is your #1 priority, the Theta 6 shooter should be your last choice as a reference processor. It is a multi channel music machine, using yesterdays DD / DTS technology.

Even with HDMI,my guess is the chipset for multichannel processing and steering will be the same 5-10 year old design. All you are getting for $5K, is a $250 HDMI switcher.

Allen has implied that he hasn't sold a loaded CBIII (Extreme DACs, balanced, etc) in years. It is obvious why...

Want to know the best SSP for HT, just follow my lead.

Jeff, I have said for several years that folks shouldn't spend big bucks to buy a CB3 given the remaining uncertainties that there is any future CB3 HDMI upgrade. And until the upgrade is actually being done for customers, and reportedly works decently, I won't recommend it.

That does change how fantastic I and others feel my Marantz UD9004 sounds in my system and setup. You don't see that for yours - fine. And you shouldn't as it would be a risky investment at this time - which may change but only if Theta completes its HDMI mission successfully.

You can crap all you want about yesterday's technology but an outstanding multi-channel preamp is a rarity and in the right roon and system this can sound fantastic. Clearly if Theta hadn't come out with the Six Shooter I would be getting a different SSP and wouldn't have bought the Marantz UD9004 which is a wonderful match multi-channel sonically with the Six Shooter at least in my system.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #573 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm just debunking Allen's salesman bullet points.

Coming to CEDIA?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #574 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I'm just debunking Allen's salesman bullet points.

Coming to CEDIA?

CEDIA - Nope. Busy with other stuff.

As for Allen's over salesmanship, debunk Allen but please don't debunk
some other Theta owner's legitimate positives on their systems including Theta gear.

Allen even got me shooting him down earlier this thread with his hype assuming Theta will develop hi rez HDMI digital link for the Theta Generation VIII V2 with no basis in any fact.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #575 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

CEDIA - Nope. Busy with other stuff.

As for Allen's over salesmanship, debunk Allen but please don't debunk
some other Theta owner's legitimate positives on their systems including Theta gear.

Allen even got me shooting him down earlier this thread with his hype assuming Theta will develop hi rez HDMI digital link for the Theta Generation VIII V2 with no basis in any fact.

I don't doubt the Theta is great for multi-channel music but the idea of passing a signal through it and relying on a $2K BD player to provide, steering, great DACs, a low noise floor (as well as no digital post processing e.g. THX, etc) whilst passing the signal through 2 sets of analog cables makes it a poor choice for HT considering what else is out there. The fact it uses very old technology is another thing. It appears that for $5K, there is no new steering technology or proprietary modes.

It was great in the pre-Blu Ray world when lossy DTS and DD ruled, but this movement of owners who think it can 'win one for the Gipper' is laughable amongst the crowd here, that I thought, strived for state of the art excellence in HT. Sometimes a piece is a loser or it is just time to retire it. Wanting, theorizing or hoping it will somehow become the best SSP on the planet because of an overdue hardware upgrade made my some third party (on a budget) that is fit into a years' old design is crazy. I don't get it.

Steve, I know music is your number one, so the CBIII / 6shooter is a great choice for you. But anyone who puts HT first, should avoid it... I'm sure you'd agree.

* Forget your plans and buy a ticket... Heck, I'll buy your dinner!

post #576 of 576 Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Sometimes a piece is a loser or it is just time to retire it. Wanting, theorizing or hoping it will somehow become the best SSP on the planet because of an overdue hardware upgrade made my some third party (on a budget) that is fit into a years' old design is crazy. I don't get it.

Quite simple really. "IF/WHEN" Theta releases their HDMI solution, it will no longer force CB3 owners to look for another processor. There really hasn't been a "I GOT TO HAVE IT SSP" out for some time now. Otherwise there would be a thread and we all would be complimenting one another on our awesome purchases.

I'm not a fan of Auto Room Correction, so for me the argument that it's missing is worthless.

Most people are trying to feed their families and selling what they have. I don't believe companies are investing much into R&D to create that awesome SSP. If I win the lottery I promise to design it with free units to AVS 20K club.

So with the state of our economy I would rather purchase an HDMI upgrade than another processor that only adds HDMI, and saves me money from buying a whole new SSP with the same or inferior DAC quality.
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page