CEDIA 2010: Who's going and what are you looking to see? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 447 Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Who would have thought that this thread would be all about cuisine? I guess that's what a dearth of rumors about new pj's will lead to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 447 Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Mark,

Add Itai (Cubesys) and friend to Thursday.

Thanks!

Please add me + date for both nights, not just Thursday. My date can wear something slinky ;-)

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #273 of 447 Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I guess that's what a dearth of rumors about new pj's will lead to.

Dearth, with the most formidable projector in history going to be announced, I could see why the other little offerings are shaking in the corner with the blankie.

post #274 of 447 Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I`ll add Itai to the Fri list tonight. Fri should end up being 40 or more.

Peter, if the Blankie is a hot booth babe, who wouldn`t mind a little shaking with her in a dark corner?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #275 of 447 Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It is Howell Mill Road not Howard.

I was just over there by the restaurant last night. It has been many years since I have been and was not prepared for how trendy the area is. I couldn't tell about parking, so car pooling will be advised.

Since this is basically the AVS party for Friday, will there be anything on Saturday? Is Sam doing a party?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #276 of 447 Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Mark,

I really appreciate you setting up everything for Friday night. So you can smack me for making this suggestion.

How about making dinner be 7 pm and the few who can and will go to the DP party can do it afterward, instead of having everybody wait until 9 pm because some might go to that party. I also think this might reduce your chances of no-shows from people who go to a party, end up eating and then don't want to go to dinner anymore (which is what I recall happening when there was a party before the dinner). I mention this for that reason and because somebody else planning on going told me they probably wouldn't be able to partake of the meal completely at the 9:30 or so it might be before we actually start eating, just because they wouldn't feel well if they ate that much that late.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #277 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its not a bad suggestion but I am not going to do it. I have already fronted the deposit money for Abattoir and cancelled Bones. We have 34 signed up and more will sign up. I have a well committed corps and I am really not concerned with making my nut. The way its set up we will get drinks and appetizers upon arrival with I am pretty sure food not till fairly later. I expect this to be a fairly long evening especially if its really nice outside. I have no clue how many will be going to parties on friday night, There will be many others beside DPI, The show gets over at 6PM. I am sure if one wants to eat and drink for free, the parties will serve the bill. But there are more than enough who quickly tire of parties and besides anyone showing up at our dinner can if they want order anything they want off the menu. They have snacks, tidbits yad and if they alreasy had their fill of alcohol they don`t have to drink. The best advice I would have to anyone if you think you might be going to blow off attending our dinner, please pull out now. I don`t think there would be a great problem if some show up later than 9PM, say 9 #). Just call me so enough seats are held. The patio seats 50 and I told Abattoir they could use the patio to seat others if we didn`t use the whole thing. Its that sort of place. People coming 9 or 10ish too.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #278 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Its not a bad suggestion but I am not going to do it. I have already fronted the deposit money for Abattoir and cancelled Bones.

No problem Mark, but just to be clear, I was suggesting something like 7 at Abattoir (if they could accommodate that), not switching back to Bones.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #279 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My wife brought me her copy of Food and Wine. Abbitoir is reviewed in this month's issue. Pretty spare looking inside but looks to be a winner. If everyone likes I kudos to my wife. If not, I'll comments to Mark.

Good work Mark! I know it's been a hassle.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/...s-get-personal

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #280 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I can hear my overpowering Ricky Ricardo echoing on those bare walls already!
post #281 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hell. If I had to guess which one, I thought you would be doing Lucy. My wife is such a fan of I Love Lucy, I actually many years ago got here a birthday gift of a framed picture of them autographed by both.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #282 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

No problem Mark, but just to be clear, I was suggesting something like 7 at Abattoir (if they could accommodate that), not switching back to Bones.

Thanks,
Darin

Darin has some pretty good points. I still have at least one full day left on the show floor after Fri night. It will be a late night as-is. The time got shifted just becasue of the DPI party IIRC. Maybe we did shift the wrong way. I'll be pretty hungry come 5:00. Maybe not so much come 9PM. Not the end of the world either way, anyone else?
post #283 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Darin. I don`t think there would be a problem of people showing up way early if they want to. Whatever is my final number will be the seats held for us for the entire evening. So I have no problem with any who want to start early. For you west coast guys, 7 PM will seem like 4 PM anyway and 9 PM will seem like 6 PM. I suspect many including Jeff, Art, myself, Peters party, just to name a few will definately want to go to the DPI party for a bit Remember Fri at 6 PM when the show closes for the day will still be heavy rush hour in down town Alanta.

The Hard RocK Cafe is only 0.5 miles from the Georgia World Congress.

From the Hard Rock Cafe, Abattoir is a little over 3 miles away and from the Georgia World Congress is also a little over 3 miles away. Given the show closes at 6 PM, I suspect many would walk from the Congress to the Hard Rock and cab to Abattoir. I will research metroing to Abattoir from either.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #284 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was going to say maybe to maybe head over to some place close by and then head over to the restaurant. Even though it is rush hour. There won't be much traffic going in that direction. I will probably borrow my mother's SUV, so I could carry six.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #285 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

darin.I don`t think there would be a problem of people showing up way early if they want to. whatever is my final number will be the seats held for us for the entire evening. So I have no problem with any who want starting early. For you west coast guys, 7 PM will seem like 4 PM anyway and 9 PM will seem like 6 PM. I suspect many including Jeff, Art, myself, Peters party, just to name a few will definately want to go to the DPI party for a bit.

I think the DPI party not even starting until 7:30 is pushing things back quite a bit? What about starting at 6:30 or 6:45 and then you guys would pretty much be guaranteed to be able to attend the DPI party while it is still going. Most of us don't have to stay at the show until the very last minute and being only 3 miles away it sounds like people would have a good chance of making it by 6:45 even if they left the show at 6.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I think most people are going to be looking for something to do right after the show and will want it to involve food. Three hours after the show is a while to wait and if some show up at 7:30 and a lot of people who others want to talk to (like you) don't show up until 9 it doesn't make it quite the same social event.

--Darin

post #286 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

darin.I don`t think there would be a problem of people showing up way early if they want to. whatever is my final number will be the seats held for us for the entire evening. So I have no problem with any who want starting early. For you west coast guys, 7 PM will seem like 4 PM anyway and 9 PM will seem like 6 PM. I suspect many including Jeff, Art, myself, Peters party, just to name a few will definately want to go to the DPI party for a bit.

I think the DPI party not even starting until 7:30 is pushing things back quite a bit. What about starting dinner at 6:30 or 6:45 and then you guys would pretty much be guaranteed to be able to attend the DPI party while it is still going. Most of us don't have to stay at the show until the very last minute and being only 3 miles away it sounds like people would have a good chance of making it by 6:45 even if they left the show at 6.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I think most people are going to be looking for something to do right after the show and will want it to involve food. Three hours after the show is a while to wait and if some show up at 7:30 and a lot of people who others want to talk to (like you) don't show up until 9 it doesn't make it quite the same social event.

--Darin

post #287 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Darin's suggestion has a lot of merit. I'll be eating something right after the show. Instead of hunting for something to do meanwhile and find a "snack" that won't ruin my frou-frou flank steak , it would be great to all get to meet at late6ish, eat the real meal, relax, rehash, then go to DPI's, or stay at A's f you are having enough fun. For the night owls, plenty of time for whatever's next if anything....
post #288 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK I will change our reservations to 6.45 PM. I really want to leave enough time to get there after the show closes at 6 PM. If you show up early, just start drinking. This is getting really frustrating because we could have done Bones and still can if the dinner now starts at 7 PM or so. But then again I fronted $800 to Abattoir for the reservation and I really don`t want to ask for it back now. At least in Indianapolis next year the restaurants wouldn`t merit the organization of dinners, mostly chains and the downtown steakhouse near the show is absolutely the worst upscale steakhouse I have ever eaten at, and I did it twice. I will not undetake to do this again. It has become a real pain though I am not blaming anyone in particular.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #289 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Mark is happy Indianapolis has bad food.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #290 of 447 Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is getting really frustrating because we could have done Bones and still can if the dinner now starts at 7 PM or so. But then again I fronted $800 to Abattoir for the reservation and I really don`t want to ask for it back now.

And I don't think you should. Abattoir sounds like more of an experience than Bones and more accommodating too. So even with the earlier time we may be getting the right restaurant. Either way I think we should go for it with Abattoir at 6:45 at this point.

I definitely appreciate you doing all this and understand why you won't want to do it again. I'm definitely willing to chip in for your dinner after all we put you through and you taking the risk by fronting the money.

--Darin

post #291 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Of all the cities the show could be at, Indianapolis is the least prepared to host it. I personally liked going to Denver the best and spending four or five days vacationing in Colorado before the show.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #292 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Of all the cities the show could be at, Indianapolis is the least prepared to host it. I personally liked going to Denver the best and spending four or five vacationing in Coloradobefore the show.

Indy and Atlanta are driving distance for me, but I enjoyed and preferred Denver the most, too.

And, FWIW, Abbatoir at 6:45 is fine for us. No need for special requests on the menu originally posted (e.g. filet) for us. We'll stick with what they know best.
post #293 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now I am hearing from those wanting to attend the DPI party first. I will work it out so that it is like a big rolling party. You can come and eat at 7 PM or so or at 9 PM. Just like my house for all you guys, the kitchen and bar are always open. Try and give me a clue when you plan to arrive.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #294 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

OK, lets stop killing Mark. I set up a temporary poll where you can pick your preference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1276430
post #295 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I'm not even going to Cedia, but I can't help but sorry for you Mark having to put up with all this BS over a dinner when you're trying to do everyone a favor.
post #296 of 447 Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Naw. Its not BS. Its a large group and there will be differences of opinion as to restaurant choices and times. I have just as much diversity of opinion with a group of two, me and my wife. She has prepared me well.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #297 of 447 Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jeff I think agrees from a post in the poll thread with the list posted above for Thursday night and has closed nominations at 24. We now have 34 for Friday night and I will keep nominations open for about a week more.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #298 of 447 Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since no one is making special steak requests, I will stick with posted menu.

Please indicate when you plan on showing up at Abattoir on Thursday evening. I will post those times next to your name on tha attendance list. I have posted my cell number in that post.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #299 of 447 Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Like all good soldiers of the audio/video domain.........please report back with your opinions concerning the Procella/Epic/THX room at CEDIA 2010!

I'm really looking forward to your feedback in regard to the Procella speaker line..................

In addition, can't wait to read Mark Haflich' candor.............brutal honesty is refreshing

For all those who supply much needed information...............I can't thank you enough!!

Have a great weekend to all who attend!
post #300 of 447 Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The speakers will do themselves proud.

Building a sound isolated, portable screening room for a trade show is a b***h. An expensive one at that. The guys have been busting their backsides night and day to get it constructed and assembled and several parts of the original design have been changed on the fly ... did I say expensive? (not to mention the changes dictated by the Fire Marshall and Convention Authorities structural approval people). Even family members have been pressed into indentured servitude.

The doors, OTOH, are beasts. On top of all of that, the convention people charge by the pound to move the "stuff" into the display hall. You ought to see that bill. Crud. Regardless of how the room performs, the speakers will do very well.

Other companies who've supported this project include Stewart Film Screen, QSC Audio, Meridian Audio, Runco, Richard Gray's Power Company, THX, The Soundproofing Company, Crestron, and others (I'm sure I'm going to annoy someone for not listing them here).

In any case, come over and listen to Procella. (Have at it Mark )

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page