The BEST home theater in AVS - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Your welcome Rich. The thing is, it's a lot easier to build a great home theater with a big empty dedicated space, and unlimited funds. To be able to pull off a cool theater in an existing space like you did, that works, is great to see.

I'm nominating these as the strangest home theaters.

#1 - This is the " 50's Room " at the Victorian Mansion in Los Alamos, Ca. The bed is in a 1956 Cadillac, with a Blu Ray player in the glove box - it's like being at a drive in ( the speakers are real drive in theater speakers ) -

#2 - The Black Rock Bijou at Burning Man - it's a full blown movie theater in the middle of nowhere, showing classic film noir in the middle of the night -

And this theater is built in less than a week ( it's all pre - fabbed ahead of time ), then dismantled and removed after Burning Man. It's been out there 2 years now !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Ok , I'll Bite the first moon of Jupiter...

Saturn is for single projectors...biggrin.gif

Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You guys better hope I never get rich lol smile.gif
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I hope you do get rich, build a great home theater, and invite me over. I'll bring some good wine ! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Peter that look like it is going to sound great.What size is it going to be.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

Peter that look like it is going to sound great.What size is it going to be.

The screen under 18 wide cinemascope, the room length 35 feet.

Thinking of laying a 3/8 steel seamless hull on top of the metal grid to keep the lower frequencies within the room, or help a bit.

With so many speakers it is safe to go very absorptive.

Stacked DCI Projectors Achille's heel is the distance between the lenses, it creates convergence errors at the extremes, bottom 2 corners for sure at minimum.

Not So with this periscopic autocon system.

I am going to ask Don Stewart to collaborate stepping back from his retirement for this Ray trace, make it more aggressive than the last Torus Prometheus in 2008.

I'd really prefer to use fixed lenses.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Hi All, I am rolling the dice again...Albiorix: 5,726 miles away.smile.gif

Those particular dices I suspect are loaded, be very very careful.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I hope you do get rich, build a great home theater, and invite me over. I'll bring some good wine ! smile.gif

96+ score please and Cab. I like Cab. It tastes great.

I will have to say Craig, that you would be more than impressed with the theater I have now I think. smile.gif

I'm thinking REAL theater at this point though. Personal IMAX comes to mind. cool.gif

I just need the construction crew, equipment, and most importantly LAND to build it. Hmmmmm..... AVS sponsored dream theater? I'm GAME! biggrin.gif

I'll even go head to head with Peter! AND ART!!!!!!! eek.gif
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The screen under 18 wide cinemascope, the room length 35 feet.

Thinking of laying a 3/8 steel seamless hull on top of the metal grid to keep the lower frequencies within the room, or help a bit.
With so many speakers it is safe to go very absorptive.
Stacked DCI Projectors Achille's heel is the distance between the lenses, it creates convergence errors at the extremes, bottom 2 corners for sure at minimum.
Not So with this periscopic autocon system.

I am going to ask Don Stewart to collaborate stepping back from his retirement for this Ray trace, make it more aggressive than the last Torus Prometheus in 2008.
I'd really prefer to use fixed lenses.

Where the heck do you find these gigs Peter? I want in smile.gif

I dont want to do IT anymore! wink.gif
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Where the heck do you find these gigs Peter? I want in smile.gif
I dont want to do IT anymore! wink.gif

Happy Holidays overclocker and all. Be careful what you wish for, it is a huge responsibility and difficult to do better than breakeven, with the huge amount of R&D and the collaborative documentation and systems being hugely time consuming.

So you definitely need to have a bit of a streak of masochist. But home theater can do that to people. smile.gif
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Happy Holidays overclocker and all. Be careful what you wish for, it is a huge responsibility and difficult to do better than breakeven, with the huge amount of R&D and the collaborative documentation and systems being hugely time consuming.
So you definitely need to have a bit of a streak of masochist. But home theater can do that to people. smile.gif

Happy Holidays to you as well and Happy New Year to all of the crew here! smile.gif

I had the displeasure of going to IMAX in Portage Indiana to see the latest Bond film and find out it is now DLP. The light output was great. The SDE was horrible (and I was over half way back in seating). Just horrible. They ruined it. frown.gif

That is my lump of coal for the year!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Happy New Year Cliffy. Other than the projection faults, did you like the Bond flick?

Perhaps I am messing up apples and oranges but wasn't the projector a 3 chip DLP. I didn't think that would cause RBE. Are you talking seeing the grid or seeing rainbows?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Interesting.

In the Phoenix area, I hadn't been to the Harkins IMAX since the second Batman movie, because I found the picture just too dark and the sound just too loud. Yet at the Harkins Cine Capri the picture and sound were top notch all the way!

On vacation in LA for a bit, so went to the AMC Burbank IMAX presenting "The Hobbit" in 48p & 3D & Dolby Atmos. Keep in mind the digital regular theater video is converted by a special process for use in the IMAX theater. Also, my understanding is that "The Hobbit" is the first feature film mixedfor Dolby Atmos.

Watching a few "previews" of 3D blu rays already out, they looked quite nice, with Avatar 3D really standing out! Plenty of brightness,brightness clearly not an issue.

Then, a special Star Trek "Into Darkness" preview - a nine minute clip. Looked phenomenal, the video 3D was amazing! And the sound was amazing as well. Web research later revealed that this past weekend the IMAX theaters showing "The Hobbit" also showed this Star Trek preview, AND that this entire nine minute 3D clip was shot with IMAX cameras.

Alas, "The Hobbit" picture and sound were mostly disappointing. Sound too loud, so any benefits of Dolby Atmos far outweighed by its being SO LOUD! Picture seemed bright enough but all too often I could tell the fakery of the sets and objects used. Is this due to the 48p frame rate? I suspect this is primarily due to the IMAX conversion.

Once I'm back in Phoenix, I'll go see "The Hobbit" 3d 48p at the Harkins Cine Capri, or other theater there that its playing at, and see how it fares there. A friend really liked it there.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Interesting.
In the Phoenix area, I hadn't been to the Harkins IMAX since the second Batman movie, because I found the picture just too dark and the sound just too loud. Yet at the Harkins Cine Capri the picture and sound were top notch all the way!
On vacation in LA for a bit, so went to the AMC Burbank IMAX presenting "The Hobbit" in 48p & 3D & Dolby Atmos. Keep in mind the digital regular theater video is converted by a special process for use in the IMAX theater. Also, my understanding is that "The Hobbit" is the first feature film mixedfor Dolby Atmos.
Watching a few "previews" of 3D blu rays already out, they looked quite nice, with Avatar 3D really standing out! Plenty of brightness,brightness clearly not an issue.
Then, a special Star Trek "Into Darkness" preview - a nine minute clip. Looked phenomenal, the video 3D was amazing! And the sound was amazing as well. Web research later revealed that this past weekend the IMAX theaters showing "The Hobbit" also showed this Star Trek preview, AND that this entire nine minute 3D clip was shot with IMAX cameras.
Alas, "The Hobbit" picture and sound were mostly disappointing. Sound too loud, so any benefits of Dolby Atmos far outweighed by its being SO LOUD! Picture seemed bright enough but all too often I could tell the fakery of the sets and objects used. Is this due to the 48p frame rate? I suspect this is primarily due to the IMAX conversion.
Once I'm back in Phoenix, I'll go see "The Hobbit" 3d 48p at the Harkins Cine Capri, or other theater there that its playing at, and see how it fares there. A friend really liked it there.

Only the ETX auditorium is ATMOS at Burbank. But yea the IMAX was pretty loud, was a bit uncomfortable when I was watching TDKR there

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 10
Hello ,

I don't know if i can post this here , but i try ! :

http://www.lafontaudio.com/divers/Arane.html#p=1

Have a nice week end .
Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz116 View Post

Hello ,

Have a nice week end .

Ding,ding,ding !

The winner is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool.gif

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hello ,

Have a nice week end .

wow, what a build. The attention to detail was impressive. The room was huuuge!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
THAT was a HOUSE???!!!

I thought for sure that was a small commercial theater! That, or a screening room for post-production. HOLY-COW!!!

props to that crew to pull it off.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,

You can follow the construction of the room , from the beginning to the end here :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/installations-homecinema-dediees/cinema-prive-journal-d-une-construction-t30018786.html
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
I would be interested in seeing the best theaters in different realistic budgets.

The high budget builds are always amazing and interesting ...

But seeing the best low budget builds is interesting too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
"I would be interested in seeing the best theaters in different realistic budgets.

The high budget builds are always amazing and interesting ...

But seeing the best low budget builds is interesting too." This is a good point. A home theater does not have to be a Private IMAX Theater, to be fun and effective. I wanted to say thanks to all my friends here in AVS and those who contributed to this thread, over the years. It has been fun. God job on your theaters. Every Theater is the best, in it's own way.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IMHO If it don't have Quested's you are shooting yourself in the foot. I have tried them all...And I am speaking of a room done with modest isolation/insulation, not too crazy in the room within a room approach.

Also just listened to the new 3d sound systems and every commercial cinema format speakers, ribbons, horns, concentric coaxial being experimented for 3d sound....Yawn. It is too bad that the Albiorix cinema is in Moscow that with the Ukraine thing may become difficult to visit, I am not honking my horn but that is at the moment the best home cinema, the quested was a crap shoot based on the logic of following the scoring speakers for a great audio track Despicable Me.But definitely there is no other solution out there to maximize the 3d sound experience...

Videowise 4k laser is where it's at and the 6p high framerate 3d is insane. To have a t home a laser 6p high framerate of the hobbit is the standard for complete immersiveness.

And for motion d-box needs to up the ante to this:
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

IMHO If it don't have Quested's you are shooting yourself in the foot. I have tried them all...And I am speaking of a room done with modest isolation/insulation, not too crazy in the room within a room approach.

Also just listened to the new 3d sound systems and every commercial cinema format speakers, ribbons, horns, concentric coaxial being experimented for 3d sound....Yawn. It is too bad that the Albiorix cinema is in Moscow that with the Ukraine thing may become difficult to visit, I am not honking my horn but that is at the moment the best home cinema, the quested was a crap shoot based on the logic of following the scoring speakers for a great audio track Despicable Me.But definitely there is no other solution out there to maximize the 3d sound experience...

Videowise 4k laser is where it's at and the 6p high framerate 3d is insane. To have a t home a laser 6p high framerate of the hobbit is the standard for complete immersiveness.

And for motion d-box needs to up the ante to this:

Yea I always wanted to watch Twelve Angry Men or The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on a system like that.

Oculus Rift will make all of that obsolete with no edge or frame complete immersion.

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very sexy setup. How much is your ticket price? cool.gif

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Hello ,

Have a nice week end .
Very nice theater!

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post

Ill ask probably high hundred.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post

Ill ask probably high hundred.
"i'm In" biggrin.gif