Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Who owns the best home theater in AVS?

Here are my TOP 5. I have only been in Steve #1's, so far.

Contestant 1: Steve (Bruzonsky)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16725555

Contestant 2: Art

http://www.artsonneborn.com//

Contestant 3: Jeff (theBland) http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._a_theater/D1/

Contestant 4: Dennis

http://www.epichomecinema.com/

Contestant 5: Steve (Jenkins)

http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/complete/

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You are being too nice to me!

We all know that when you are in Jeff's theater, a person farting on screen will send bass shockwaves that you can feel and smell as your butt lifts off the seat!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have not been in either Steve's theaters, nor Bland's. I have been in Art's and it was quite inspirational and caused me to decide to embark on a different path than I was on for home theater.

I have been in some of Dennis' theaters but which one of his are you referring to? His personal one, the demo room at his studio or one of his creations?

Not a fan of Jenkin's decor personally. I don't want to dis it - it certainly is elaborate and seems to be high quality - just too much Ceasar's Palace for my taste. To each their own.

I will be humble and just nominate myself for best entry hallway to a theater.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18227936
Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Thanks!

Well, I'm happy just be in the group... I've added a lot of stuff over the past year.

SIM2 Lumis
ADA SSP (on its way)
And an as of yet named sub subwoofer system that I hope will set a new standard for low end

I think I'll have the audio and video fully covered... then something else will come out!

I'm planning on a HT meet when the new sub system goes in. I'm far overdue for one but feel I'm finally ready to do it.

Hope to get a few of you out of towners in for it. Oh.. and we'll be drinking a few nice reds!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

I have not been in either Steve's theaters, nor Bland's. I have been in Art's and it was quite inspirational and caused me to decide to embark on a different path than I was on for home theater.

I have been in some of Dennis' theaters but which one of his are you referring to? His personal one, the demo room at his studio or one of his creations?

Not a fan of Jenkin's decor personally. I don't want to dis it - it certainly is elaborate and seems to be high quality - just too much Ceasar's Palace for my taste. To each their own.

I will be humble and just nominate myself for best entry hallway to a theater.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18227936

Since you can't nominate yourself, I nominate you for best hallway to a home theater! COOL!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
Old 07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Thanks!

Well, I'm happy just be in the group... I've added a lot of stuff over the past year.

SIM2 Lumis
ADA SSP (on its way)
And an as of yet named sub subwoofer system that I hope will set a new standard for low end

I think I'll have the audio and video fully covered... then something else will come out!

I'm planning on a HT meet when the new sub system goes in. I'm far overdue for one but feel I'm finally ready to do it.

Hope to get a few of you out of towners in for it. Oh.. and we'll be drinking a few nice reds!

I came to Arizona to get away from the Minnesota cold many years ago.
It would take more than a home theater meet to make me come back! HA!

But tell you what. When Theta comes out with the CB HD EQ The Bland version, I will deliver it personally, from your favorite Theta dealer, Allan F.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark H's HT is my top 1

HDPLEX
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Steve would have won except he got rid of his Dwin.

Seriously, I think this is a rather stupid contest because it becomes a question of space and money and there aren`t sufficient pictures and other info and data in which the Academy can base its decision. I have been to several of the nominees but not to all and their are many other members whose theaters would be worthy candidates such as CM. Peter has also constructed several worthy candidates in Florida, as well, and I have seen several of these which I would rate higher than some of the nominees here. Without seeing it, I think based on size and money Mr P`s might win but there are many many winners here and all should be congratulated just as I would congratulate many with small theaters and very limited budgets.

Who has the best model train layout? Does size matter? Or is it attention to detail? If it makes you happy that`s all that counts in making your theater a winner. Althugh I would throw in good picture and sound quality based on accepted standards vs personal opinion.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
You are too much Mark, but THANKS!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
+1 to Mark H

I think if any contender has spent the time and money on a well designed room and proper acoustical treatments, then that is at least half the battle. Equipment is equipment, at a certain threshold, all equipment looks and sounds pretty much alike. Decor, well, you can spend anything and no matter what, different folks will have different tastes. Hard to define a winner based on esthetics. For me, I couldn't consider any theater best without a acoustically transparent screen... other's might think that qualification is unfair. So many considerations and factors for 'best'.

Peter's theater's boast a panache and sophistication of electronics unmatched by most... I'd certainly like to sit in a demo on one of Peter's theaters to see if all that pizzazz makes the earth move!!

Fact is, as Mark eluded to, there would have to be a group of winners. Moreover, the proof would have to be in the auditioning of each and every contender...which is unlikely.

All of the theaters mentioned above would certainly give an excellent HT experience somewhere in the top 0.1% of all dedicated theaters.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks Mike, you are a hell of a guy IMO. I cetainly think your theater,Mark's and don't forget Wolfgang's monster must be in the mix.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Equipment is equipment, at a certain threshold, all equipment looks and sounds pretty much alike.

While I agree 100%, given the forum on which that comment is posted, you may be captured, drawn and quartered !!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Let's not forget Arnold's.

It even sports a CRT projector.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6521
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am waiting for an invite to one of Mr. P`s legendary industry and client parties. I suspect his home including HT would easily qualify for one of those great estate shows on those cable and sat channels.

The distance for me is to far for just an opportunity to see his HT but the next time I am in Cal, I will certainly try to set up a visit if he will have me. Now attending one of his bashes, that would almost be the same as getting an invite to a Hugh Hefner bash.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben from SMX has a nice joint too but I'm to lazy to dig up the thread.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would also note that the $20k forum reflects a significant degree of decorum and maturity not shown in some other forums although we do have Steve B. whom all kidding aside, I do love and respect despite his almost total failure with respect to annual April` fools jokes. Of course there will always be some naive posters who get sucked in despite my ever present flagging of his err April jokes. LIG joke was much better though it didn`t suck me in for a second.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Space limitations may rule out AT screens and such screens do at least to some extent degrade ultimate PQ.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
I am humbled and awestruck by the diversity and quality of these theaters. With these as the standard, I will always feel inadequate in my modest build.

All of you guys are winners and I would like to also thank you for your time and contributions on AVS. If I was a young man, I'd seriously consider going into the business. Inspirational.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Most of these guys wouldn`t be able to affors the theaters they have if they were in the business.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I bet Ruben has the very best supply of HD material to watch, too, if you know what I mean!@@@
Can you imagine his theater with his own 3D HD material and a 3D projector? Mark, if you get tired of watching
the fairer sex, I'm sure Ruben could shoot a horse race for you!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Peter's theater's boast a panache and sophistication of electronics unmatched by most... I'd certainly like to sit in a demo on one of Peter's theaters to see if all that pizzazz makes the earth move!!

Thanks so so much Jeff, you embarrass me. Well if you guys join me in prayer to the gods of the moons of Saturn, maybe the "mountain will come to Mohammed" at CEDIA.

Too early to tell, it's bit of a long shot (full of unnecessary obstacles) but I have high hopes... I ask everyone to join my incantations to Prometheus, Skoll, Helene and Albiorix (unfortunately the only way to get through to Albiorix - protector god of the CoteD'Azur- who in order to "work his mojo" demanded in exchange human sacrifices in the form of fatal water-logging)

All mythology aside, for me with High End Cinemas is not that much the destination that enlights but the long tough journey . Call me a masochist.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Agree.

To view the theater its at the top of this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=840473
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Art`s wife says he looks a lot BETTER with the lights off. Seriously, they are both super nice people and they make visitors feel like part of their family when attending one of their meets.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Glad to see the excitement in this thread. Excitement is the goal of home theater. Each of my Top 5's in AVS have quality components in their product list and each use correct acoustic treatment and each differ in creativity and aesthetics. The word BEST is evil and subjective, but it does stir competition and that overcomes mediacracy. The installations I listed as my AVS Top 5 are all about putting the "custom" in custom electronics. There may be other wild installations out there.

There are theaters outside of AVS that have been in magazine photo shoots and contests as well. Some of your theaters have been in magazines. Each year, the winning theaters have different winning groups. The Ultimate Install Contest is one: http://www.hometheaterdesignmag.com/...s/092209wmcia/ Creativity is one such group. I like the Bat Cave home theater, (DC Audio Video Systems, 2006). http://www.cepro.com/article/the_bat...deo_systems/It has seemed to be the most creative home theater ever.

Maybe Gates would win with the biggest home theater. His home theater (underground in a concrete shell) is the most state of the art theater in the world according to one specialty contractor. His theater with apx 200seats, Size: 1,500 cf ft. is larger then mosts. So, maybe as the Bat Cave home theater wins for creativity, Gates wins for the most expensive and biggest. The motive of this thread is to have some fun with the passion we all share, home theater. Each theater has its own character. Who's is best? Each may have one strength over another.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Details are sketchy on his home theater, but considering the Estate cost @$110 Million I dare say he didnt skip on an amazing home theater. Only info out there it has 20 seats, 6 meter wide screen, press love to throw in that it has a @$1million dollar sound system (Cal Tech Audio probably) and the theater complex is @1500sq feet.

As for the Most incredible systems on AVS, it would have to be Prometheus.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oops I think I just had an accident in my trousers. Thanks PD!! Very humbled thank you.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve. Jeff doesn`t live in Minnesota.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Steve. Jeff doesn`t live in Minnesota.

COLD weather in Minnesota and Michigan is equivalent!

But you knew that!@@

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I'm imagining your pain at resetting those Sky boxes every 10 minutes....

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page