post #1 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Just an update, and worded so I do not get accused of trolling by another dealer, dealers reportedly (and verified by me through my fantastic method of verification with respect to dealer emails from Theta) got an email from Theta today announcing that Theta will start accepting orders for the Casablanca III HD (1.4 3D) September 1, 2010, wth deliveries scheduled for October 2010. No further info re accepting orders for and scheduling for HDMI 1.4 upgrades. Theta at Cedia will show an active system 5.1 with video flat screen display using the Compli Blu, the Casablanca III HD, and the Dreadnaught III.

No info re the specific flat panel or what speakers will be used. I assume that the display will not be 3D given the source being the Compli Blu.

That`s my info. I know nothing more so please don`t shoot the messenger.

Mark, great news!!!@@@

Theta always has had the new Casablanca model available for purchase PRIOR to the upgrade of prior model being available. Understandable, because you sign the unit to be manufactured new, AND you design the specific upgrade for the unit. In the past, the lag has been at least several months from availability of the brand new model vs upgradability of existing models.

Assuming this all pulls through, and that existing Theta CB3 owners can get the upgrade for $4995 (MSRP, dealers have indicated willingness to discount some), this will be an amazing feat for ATI-Theta to pull off given the still dismal state of the economy.

I understand that The Bland is so embarrassed about this that so far he has refused to post on this thread!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 550
At this point, I am unsure as to whether a Casablamca III HD is any diffierent than a Casablanca III with the !.4 HDMI upgrade card. It isn`t listed seperately on the price sheet my sources tell me (I am in my usual non trolling mode here). I have been asked via PM what would the MSRP of the processor be? Assuming one would need the base casablanca III, the 1.4 HDMI video switching card, and 2 DAC cards with 3 DAC quality options., the MSRP would be according to my source (I once againiam in my non trolling mode) between $17,595 and $23,735 with an additional $2500 MSRP for the six shooter. Reportedly dealers will discount off this price but one would need to call or email the usual suspects to determine who would be the cheapest. I suspect if one does this sequentially, the last one will be the cheapest.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mark,
That last bit would only be true if they knew what the other bids were. Since I have no local dealer I'd likely send a request for quote to several of you at once. Otherwise I tend to go local when possible unless the guy is a complete jerk. I find paying a bit extra to be able to see or listen to what I'm buying worthwhile.

This assumes that this isn't more smoke and mirrors on Theta's part.

Les
post #4 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mark,
I can't wait to get my CB3 with three Extreme Dacs upgraded... I plan to get my Dreadnaught upgraded too.
Now tell me once gain... Why would you need a six shooter once the HDMI upgrade is done?
Ash
post #5 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How many 1.4 HDMI inputs will the card contain?
post #6 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
+1. Since I'll have to buy one of these, I have 6 HDMI inputs. How many can you max with 8 channel's of balanced output?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My comment would be if one wanted a six shooter also. If one calls around telling the dealer the last quote one got but not disclosing the dealer of course.

The number of inputs? I don`t have a clue but generally I am clueless anyway. I will find out from my source (once again I do not want to troll) but I trust my source, he will certainly call and find out on Monday.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ash. I will find out when the upgrade option opens from my source. I doubt it will be for some period after the units actually start shipping.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ash,

What island are you on?

Making it to CEDIA?

Mark,

You have more of a clue than most here...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Bland is really behaving himself - so far!

If my memory is any good Theta showed a prototype at last CEDIA with four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #11 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Mark,
I can't wait to get my CB3 with three Extreme Dacs upgraded... I plan to get my Dreadnaught upgraded too. Now tell me once gain... Why would you need a six shooter once the HDMI upgrade is done?
Ash

A Six Shooter is a really good analog preamp. Lets say you want to us the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport and DAC. Or maybe some other
high end CD player. Or lets say I want to hear the audio quality of using my Marantz UD9004 multi-channel analog out into Six Shooter vs using the HDMI for blu ray. Or lets say I've got the UD9004 and want to play multi-channel or stereo SACD, DDVD-A, even redbook CD. The Six Shooter gives great flexibility but likely only for the very small percentage of CB3 HD owners who have and want to use one.

post #12 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can you add more than 4 HDMI?

post #13 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Can you add more than 4 HDMI?

You could always get an external HDMI switcher if you need more.

I thought you had an ADA SSP coming any time now?

post #14 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

jeff,
Aloha from Maui...you guessed right, I am on a island until 15th August.
Cannot make it to CEDIA this year will be on a business trip.
I started a thread in the forum of my Crestron ADMS and Blu Ray Changer installation, if you visit the Crestron booth at CEDIA keep me informed of anything new coming up.
Ash
I started a thread
post #15 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

jeff,
Aloha from Maui...you guessed right, I am on a island until 15th August.
Cannot make it to CEDIA this year will be on a business trip.
I started a thread in the forum of my Crestron ADMS and Blu Ray Changer installation, if you visit the Crestron booth at CEDIA keep me informed of anything new coming up.
Ash
I started a thread

Ahh gorgeous. Road to Hana? Been to kapalua.

You in Kapalua, Wailaea? Other?

Nice! Will miss you at CEDIA.

post #16 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just came back from Halekala National Park, majestic views...we are staying in villa in Lahaina....Feast of Lele tonight...
I will be watching the CEDIA thread....
BTW - If Theta comes out with the HDMI 1.4 (I will believe it when I see it) I might have one of the most Theta system in the forum. Theta CB3 HD with Three Extreme Dacs, Six Shooter (I plan to add this during the upgrade), Theta Dreadnaught 6 channels for sides and Theta Citadels 1.5 three to drive my front three Aerial 20T versions 2's...
post #17 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

You could always get an external HDMI switcher if you need more.

I thought you had an ADA SSP coming any time now?

Steve, my recollection was 3 in, one out, but you may be correct. I would think the best solution would be use a VP with a separate audio and video out, with perhaps a BD player with 2 outs using one to the projector and one to the CB.
Your suggestions for the Six Shooter are necessary for the Audiophile with high end analogue sources. Perhaps a high end line stage would suffice if only 2 channel is needed. Norm
post #18 of 666 Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Steve, my recollection was 3 in, one out, but you may be correct.

A very good pic of the prototype from Sept. 2008, which I believe to be the first public showing of the CBIII HD with HDMI.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...068811&page=28

The only prototype configuration I have seen, from trade shows or mentioned in articles, has been 4 in and 1 out.

While many things have changed since the original announcement, (most notably the change from HDMI 1.3b to HDMI 1.4 and upgrade pricing from $3,500 to $4,995) the one thing that has remained consistant in any mention of the CBIII HD has been the amount of HDMI in and outputs.

But the way things have played out, especially over the last 2 yrs., it will probably wind up being 3 inputs and 2 outputs, just to mess with us

TURN IT UP!
post #19 of 666 Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

A very good pic of the prototype from Sept. 2008, which I believe to be the first public showing of the CBIII HD with HDMI.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...068811&page=28

The only prototype configuration I have seen, from trade shows or mentioned in articles, has been 4 in and 1 out.

While many things have changed since the original announcement, (most notably the change from HDMI 1.3b to HDMI 1.4 and upgrade pricing from $3,500 to $4,995) the one thing that has remained consistant in any mention of the CBIII HD has been the amount of HDMI in and outputs.

But the way things have played out, especially over the last 2 yrs., it will probably wind up being 3 inputs and 2 outputs, just to mess with us

Brother, I must be remembering the Multi Mode input card for Component/VGA/ RGBHV which was 3 x 1. Steve wins again. Norm
post #20 of 666 Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What do I get for my winnings?

post #21 of 666 Old 08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A visit with Neil when you visit Hawaii next time.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #22 of 666 Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

A visit with Neil when you visit Hawaii next time.

That would be good. I like Hawaii and Neil, and they have a Costco there.
post #23 of 666 Old 08-16-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As Steve knows, I am in an apartment because of a job relocation. On vacation now however, and have a lot of my stuff connected. It had been a few weeks, since I listened. The Xtreme dacs are very good, top of the line for a surround processor. My new Mcintosh XR200 speakers really bring out the all of the detail. I continue to be impressed with the way the Xtremes handle note decay. My Marantz SA7s1 is better. Still for most guys, I think the HDMI upgrade is going to be all they want. Many may not need a Six Shooter. I am keeping mine as I do intend to add the Perfectwave dac to my set-up and for use with with my Marantz. Some may think that things like note decay do not matter so much with home theater. I would agree that it does not matter as much. However with many sound effect, the realism of the effect itself depends upon what audiophiles call "note decay." I was watching 3:10 to Yuma a few days back and was reminded of this. The bar tender is pouring drinks. You can hear the gulps in the glasses as they fill with liquor. The pitch changes as the glass are filling and when they are completely filled there is the "note decay". I used a Harmon Kardon receiver to listen to the LPCM track, that I left in my home as I am selling the house as having a theater. My Casablanca is with me. The Xtreme dacs are going to take this to another level! Video formats change so much that I am going to use my CBIII for movies.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #24 of 666 Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

As Steve knows, I am in an apartment because of a job relocation. On vacation now however, and have a lot of my stuff connected. It had been a few weeks, since I listened. The Xtreme dacs are very good, top of the line for a surround processor. My new Mcintosh XR200 speakers really bring out the all of the detail. I continue to be impressed with the way the Xtremes handle note decay. My Marantz SA7s1 is better. Still for most guys, I think the HDMI upgrade is going to be all they want. Many may not need a Six Shooter. I am keeping mine as I do intend to add the Perfectwave dac to my set-up and for use with with my Marantz. Some may think that things like note decay do not matter so much with home theater. I would agree that it does not matter as much. However with many sound effect, the realism of the effect itself depends upon what audiophiles call "note decay." I was watching 3:10 to Yuma a few days back and was reminded of this. The bar tender is pouring drinks. You can hear the gulps in the glasses as they fill with liquor. The pitch changes as the glass are filling and when they are completely filled there is the "note decay". I used a Harmon Kardon receiver to listen to the LPCM track, that I left in my home as I am selling the house as having a theater. My Casablanca is with me. The Xtreme dacs are going to take this to another level! Video formats change so much that I am going to use my CBIII for movies.

I doubt if using a perfectwave DAC with the Marantz as a transport will be worth the investment. My ud9004+PWD combo is close to the ud9004 stand alone. Since the SA7s1 is notch above the ud9004, you may find you are not gaining much (if anything) by using an outboard dac with your Marantz.

The issue is that to really get the full potenital of the PWD you need to use the I2S connection (i.e. PWT or bridge), which the Marantz as a transport won't give you. I will soon be able to tell how big a leap you get by going from PWD with S/PDIF to PWD with I2S and will be glad to report.
post #25 of 666 Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I doubt if using a perfectwave DAC with the Marantz as a transport will be worth the investment. My ud9004+PWD combo is close to the ud9004 stand alone. Since the SA7s1 is notch above the ud9004, you may find you are not gaining much (if anything) by using an outboard dac with your Marantz.

The issue is that to really get the full potenital of the PWD you need to use the I2S connection (i.e. PWT or bridge), which the Marantz as a transport won't give you. I will soon be able to tell how big a leap you get by going from PWD with S/PDIF to PWD with I2S and will be glad to report.

I agree! To get all the benefit of the PS Audio Perfect Wave gear, using the I2S connection AND both the DAC and Transport, using balanced out from DAC to balanced in for amplifiers, is necessary. The Marantz UD9004 and I'm sure SA7s1 are very nice soundin' beasts on their own for redbook - just not as good as the PS Audio PerfectWave

post #26 of 666 Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I did not mention anything about using the PS Audio stuff with my Marantz and that is not my intention. I only mentioned the dac and the Marantz as a need to have a Six Shooter.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #27 of 666 Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I did not mention anything about using the PS Audio stuff with my Marantz and that is not my intention. I only mentioned the dac and the Marantz as a need to have a Six Shooter.

"I am keeping mine as I do intend to add the Perfectwave dac to my set-up and for use with with my Marantz."

I miscontrued this and thought you wanted to use the marantz with the PWD. Upon second reading what you are realling saying is you intend to keep the SS for use with the Marantz and the PWD. I presume you would get the PWD to use with a bridge as a music server, which makes a lot more sense.
post #28 of 666 Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
email from theta this morning (august 17th 2010)

Quote:

Progress is being made on the Casablanca III HD. The alpha testing is nearly over, and then the internal-only beta testing will begin. The plan is to show a working production unit at CEDIA 2010, and begin shipping new units thereafter.

Best regards,

Carl Nicolson
Theta Digital

post #29 of 666 Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can bet I'll be at their booth Thursday morning in Atlanta!

post #30 of 666 Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jeff. I will make sure they post an extra body guard, Dinner Thursday? How is it coming. Nag. Nag. Nag.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page