What were your first "audiophile" speakers and when? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Very nice. You were there at the dawn of high-end audio and its golden era. I was too poor then and did not even know such a "movement" exist. EPI 100 for me as Consumer Report, and likely Julian Hirsch, said it had the flattest frequency response .

True high-end audiophile speakers did not come for me until 10 years later with the first pay check and subscription to these funny looking half-sized audio mags. Then it was a torrent :-): Thiel CS 5i, Martin Logan Monolith, Apogee Grand Diva, on and on.

I'm sure you remember the ongoing heated arguments between Stereo Review, and Audio magazine versus, The Absolute Sound and later Stereophile about measurements against actual listening? I'm still jealous you had the Apogees.
Christopher Hansen tried to talk me into it, but I had no money for them at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I'm sure you remember the ongoing heated arguments between Stereo Review, and Audio magazine versus, The Absolute Sound and later Stereophile about measurements against actual listening? I'm still jealous you had the Apogees.
Christopher Hansen tried to talk me into it, but I had no money for them at that time.
Yes of course. Stereo Review's reviews were abhorrent to me, but Audio actually had great reviews by Don Keele. Keele, a knowledgeable speaker designer, not unexpectedly DESCRIBED what the speakers SOUND like through listening tests, whereas Hirsch the technician at Stereo Review would seemingly/literally use the frequency graph as the body, and conclusion, of his reviews.

Well I am extra jealous you have the Wilson Maxx and all Wilson video speakers, so we are even. True the Apogee Diva had the rare ability to bring a Grand into the room with you - so fast sounding, so airy & transparent. It put my box speaker Thiel to shame in these aspects. I also had Apogee Caliper but got rid of it because I dropped a hammer accidentally onto one panel, and my then toddler son IIRC ran into the other one, but do wish dearly I still have an Apogee.
Sharp1080 likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging; rich, full sound; off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; 01-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old Today, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My 1st 'audiophile' speaker? I guess my Acoustic Research AR90's, bought through a Teledyne Avionics employee purchase program, at half price, directly from the factory, around 1980. Those, paired with a NAD 3140 integrated, and a cheap JVC direct drive turntable, composed my earliest system. I can't exactly remember the cartridge, but it may have been a Micro Acoustics? The AR90's were very good speakers (still have 'em), the NAD was good, but low-powered for the 90's, and the only saving grace for the JVC was that it was fully automatic!

I found out the hard way, that the NAD wasn't enough for the AR's, thanks to my little brother (borrowing my system). I came home one day, to the smell of fried electronics! I checked my amp over, and it seemed OK. Then I pulled the grills on the 90's, and found the cause of the odor. My brother had so over-driven the NAD, he'd fried one of the upper dome mids in the speakers. In fact, fried it so bad that the dome was hanging out of the front of the speaker, like a distended eyeball! AR swapped it out for free, no questions asked. I wish that Acoustic Research was still around! And my brother never 'fessed up to the damage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement