What were your first "audiophile" speakers and when? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #181 of 208 Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Very nice. You were there at the dawn of high-end audio and its golden era. I was too poor then and did not even know such a "movement" exist. EPI 100 for me as Consumer Report, and likely Julian Hirsch, said it had the flattest frequency response .

True high-end audiophile speakers did not come for me until 10 years later with the first pay check and subscription to these funny looking half-sized audio mags. Then it was a torrent :-): Thiel CS 5i, Martin Logan Monolith, Apogee Grand Diva, on and on.

I'm sure you remember the ongoing heated arguments between Stereo Review, and Audio magazine versus, The Absolute Sound and later Stereophile about measurements against actual listening? I'm still jealous you had the Apogees.
Christopher Hansen tried to talk me into it, but I had no money for them at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I'm sure you remember the ongoing heated arguments between Stereo Review, and Audio magazine versus, The Absolute Sound and later Stereophile about measurements against actual listening? I'm still jealous you had the Apogees.
Christopher Hansen tried to talk me into it, but I had no money for them at that time.
Yes of course. Stereo Review's reviews were abhorrent to me, but Audio actually had great reviews by Don Keele. Keele, a knowledgeable speaker designer, not unexpectedly DESCRIBED what the speakers SOUND like through listening tests, whereas Hirsch the technician at Stereo Review would seemingly/literally use the frequency graph as the body, and conclusion, of his reviews.

Well I am extra jealous you have the Wilson Maxx and all Wilson video speakers, so we are even. True the Apogee Diva had the rare ability to bring a Grand into the room with you - so fast sounding, so airy & transparent. It put my box speaker Thiel to shame in these aspects. I also had Apogee Caliper but got rid of it because I dropped a hammer accidentally onto one panel, and my then toddler son IIRC ran into the other one, but do wish dearly I still have an Apogee.
Sharp1080 likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete your fantastic audio "journey" :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-26-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #183 of 208 Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 1st 'audiophile' speaker? I guess my Acoustic Research AR90's, bought through a Teledyne Avionics employee purchase program, at half price, directly from the factory, around 1980. Those, paired with a NAD 3140 integrated, and a cheap JVC direct drive turntable, composed my earliest system. I can't exactly remember the cartridge, but it may have been a Micro Acoustics? The AR90's were very good speakers (still have 'em), the NAD was good, but low-powered for the 90's, and the only saving grace for the JVC was that it was fully automatic!

I found out the hard way, that the NAD wasn't enough for the AR's, thanks to my little brother (borrowing my system). I came home one day, to the smell of fried electronics! I checked my amp over, and it seemed OK. Then I pulled the grills on the 90's, and found the cause of the odor. My brother had so over-driven the NAD, he'd fried one of the upper dome mids in the speakers. In fact, fried it so bad that the dome was hanging out of the front of the speaker, like a distended eyeball! AR swapped it out for free, no questions asked. I wish that Acoustic Research was still around! And my brother never 'fessed up to the damage!
post #184 of 208 Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I bought a pair of Infinity Quantum 2 with all SAE (pre, amp and digital tuner) in high school and brought with me to college.
post #185 of 208 Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Wilson Watt/Puppy. I think it was back in 1997 and used them for 2-3 years. Still very good speakers, IMO
post #186 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
I bought a pair of Infinity Quantum 2 with all SAE (pre, amp and digital tuner) in high school and brought with me to college.
SAE gears in high school?! Life is not fair . I remember drooling after the Infinity Quantum line and those SAE electronics with the futuristic red digital readouts. So pretty but they were way beyond means; I literally was shopping for clothes at Salvation Army at that time LOL.

After school I would alternate between Pacific Stereo and a nearby car dealership, there (again) drooling after the pretty Triump TR7 and Fiat X1/9. I could not take my eyes off them.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete your fantastic audio "journey" :-).
post #187 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Magnepans back in 1979!
post #188 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
SAE gears in high school?! Life is not fair . I remember drooling after the Infinity Quantum line and those SAE electronics with the futuristic red digital readouts. So pretty but they were way beyond means; I literally was shopping for clothes at Salvation Army at that time LOL.

After school I would alternate between Pacific Stereo and a nearby car dealership, there (again) drooling after the pretty Triump TR7 and Fiat X 1/9.
There was a Pacific Stereo, and Rogers sound lab store in Pasadena. I visited often when I was a teenager. My first car in 1977 I bought with motorcycle accident money was a dark red Triumph TR7. The car was terrible over all, including the repaired warped head blown head gasket issues. I sold it for pennies. SAE was very cool, just ahead of their time.
cannga likes this.
post #189 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After school I would alternate between Pacific Stereo and a nearby car dealership, there (again) drooling after the pretty Triump TR7 and Fiat X1/9. I could not take my eyes off them.
LOL, so true. I shopped at Pacific Stereo in Daly City for 6 months to get the salesman opinion on "high fidelity". I got a great deal on my SAE used. I still have the digital tuner in black and red l.e.d., even have the wood siding.
post #190 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quad EL57s back in 1959 or 1960 followed by just about every electrostatic made, including as crazy as Dayton Wright XG8 Mk2s and several planar magnetics thrown in the mix over the five or six decades.
cannga likes this.
post #191 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL, so true. I shopped at Pacific Stereo in Daly City for 6 months to get the salesman opinion on "high fidelity". I got a great deal on my SAE used. I still have the digital tuner in black and red l.e.d., even have the wood siding.

My first SAE was a 3CM. And I still think I have a pair of 2400Ls around here somewhere.
post #192 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There was a Pacific Stereo, and Rogers sound lab store in Pasadena. I visited often when I was a teenager. My first car in 1977 I bought with motorcycle accident money was a dark red Triumph TR7. The car was terrible over all, including the repaired warped head blown head gasket issues. I sold it for pennies. SAE was very cool, just ahead of their time.

I bought most of my ARC equipment from Mike (can't remember last name) from the RogersSound Lab in Northridge. I think that's where I also bought my ML CLSs.
post #193 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't worry, the arguments are still raging here between the pocket protector set and the audiophallics. I'm in the later category.
Sharp1080 and cannga like this.
post #194 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
My first SAE was a 3CM. And I still think I have a pair of 2400Ls around here somewhere.
Did I mentioned my "Rectilier" speakers? Huge mistake on the name , and great speakers at the time.
post #195 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did I mentioned my "Rectilier" speakers? Huge mistake on the name , and great speakers at the time.

I vaguely remember the name.

In LA my stores were mostly RSL, Shelly's and once in a while Christopher Hanson's. And if my memory is correct, there was a store in Monrovia just north of the 210 on Myrtle.
post #196 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Do Magnat Magnasphere Gammas count as "audiophile"? Must have been latter half of the 80s that I sold off some Infinity Q2s to get the Magnats. They had great imaging. In my mind these were the first serious speakers I owned.
post #197 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In 1970 I was in first year of university. I quit and spent my savings for school on a set of 12 inch Tannoy speakers that I bought from a stereo store on Young Street in downtown Toronto. They made the cabinets for their Tannoy speakers right in the store. Each speaker was a cabinet the size of a large t.v. console. They'd be worth a lot of money today if I still had them.
post #198 of 208 Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I vaguely remember the name.

In LA my stores were mostly RSL, Shelly's and once in a while Christopher Hanson's. And if my memory is correct, there was a store in Monrovia just north of the 210 on Myrtle.
That store would be Brooks Berdan LTD, It's still open. I also purchased gear from Christopher Hansen.
post #199 of 208 Old 02-27-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am going to start hating for real if you keep flaunting what I so much lusted after but could never have . Yep 1977 was the time frame and I would be the kid with face glued to the view windows of the dealership leaving breathing mark on the glass (didn't dare to come inside). The Triumph TR7 with the incredibly wedge shape was life itself LOL. Can't remember the color, think "mine" was green.

I just looked up in Wikipedia - 92 hp for the US version, less than my daughter's Honda CRV :-). I believe you - British sports car of that generation (come to think about it, of ANY generation) must be quite sh*tty wrt reliability.

Regards, Can
post #200 of 208 Old 02-27-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Pacific Stereo was on Geary in San Francisco. Spent many hours there kicking tires and never bought anything. Told my brother to go for Infinity Column II but boy I wanted those Quantum's VERY VERY badly .

Fun thread. Funny how these hobbies make their presence known early, and sometimes "spontaneously" (no one I knew share same interest - I just WANTED those damn Quantums LOL.).

Regards, Can
post #201 of 208 Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
What is an audiophile speaker ?

Art
That's easy; if your casual listener friends have never heard of the name then it is an Audiophile speaker!

Therefore my first decent pair of speakers back in 1974, JBL L26's, don't count.

But I loved those speakers as a starving college student.
post #202 of 208 Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Pacific Stereo was on Geary in San Francisco. Spent many hours there kicking tires and never bought anything. Told my brother to go for Infinity Column II but boy I wanted those Quantum's VERY VERY badly .

Fun thread. Funny how these hobbies make their presence known early, and sometimes "spontaneously" (no one I knew share same interest - I just WANTED those damn Quantums LOL.).
You got that right. I had the car bug at 18 months and audio by age 12. There were plenty around for the car bug, but very very few on the audio and certainly not at that age. As far as music goes, maybe three people in all of my life who shared my tastes.
post #203 of 208 Old 02-28-2016, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After my freshman year in college I saved enough to buy a pair of Quantums in San Diego.
post #204 of 208 Old 03-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In the 70's it was Dynaco A35s followed by Infinity Monitors. In the 80's and 90's it was Vandersteen Model 2. Post 2000 it was Vandersteen Model 5. I could tell you the degradation in the frequency response of my hearing throughout that time but you would all conclude that I could evolve to cheap speakers and never hear the difference. Sad but true.
post #205 of 208 Old 03-06-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I think 1988|1989: Yamaha AST-1 (later YST-1) Active Servo Technology three piece system. A speaker-specific equalization cartridge plugged into the otherwise conventional 2-channel amp delivers bass-extension down to 28 Hz, but the US market in 1988 did not find the $1450 MSRP appealing for a bookshelf-sized speaker pair and as a consequence the AST-1 systems were remaindered for under $500; I bought four complete systems at that time, and they remain in use today. Yamaha continues to employ Yamaha Servo Technology for sub woofers.

_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ast-s1_btn.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1298593  

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 03-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #206 of 208 Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My first "audiophile" speakers were purchased 02/09/1985 (I still have the receipt) and were a pair of RTR 600D speakers, they were awesome!

post #207 of 208 Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After my freshman year in college I saved enough to buy a pair of Quantums in San Diego.

I took the bus from my dorm to a stereo store in Berkeley to buy Kenwood "Separates" (the disease was starting already): Integrated Amp and Tuner, on sale for, exactly, $99 each . I held on to them like treasures on the bus ride back.

From then on it's been a slippery slope all the way.

Regards, Can
post #208 of 208 Old 03-12-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Ohm F (Walsh driver) -- I bought these in 1973 from Bay Bloor in Toronto. I really wanted the Ohm As but couldn't find anyone who sold them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page