Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

A little birdie told me that Norm will have his UD9004 this afternoon!!@@@

I'll be damned. This means two things;
The global club of CBIII + SS + PWD + Bridge + UD9004 owners just grew by 50%,

The global club of CBIII + SS + PWD + Bridge + UD9004 + SVS AS-EQ1 owners just grew by 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 293
To explore undiscovered galaxies andto boldly go where few if anyone has gone before.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #33 of 46 Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

This can still be rationalized as a reasonably affordable "interim" player (which can of course still be used as a transport with the CBIII/HDMI). However, getting a ud9004 now would amount to full blown defection from the Theta brand.

How do you defect from a brand that currently doesn't offer the latest blu ray audio codecs in its "current" SSP the CB3?

How do you say thanks to Neil Sinclair's "old" Theta for providing a Six Shooter that makes the "obsolete" CB3 into a wonderful multi-channel preamp?

As Norm and I have discussed, without an "audio rate control" for the CB3 HD's HDMI 1.4, to effectively dejitter the HDMI audio from the player to the SSP, odds are that HDMI audio at the SSP will not be as good as it can be. But we don't have that issue using the UD9004 as a transport and its sound is superb on all fronts!

Once Norm found a great price on the UD9004 he jumped and hooped to get one quickly.

The UD9004 gives me all I need - including 5.1 speaker distances and levels (though I do the levels in my Theta CB3 menu) and its bass management, though not near as flexible as the CB3's, seems to work sonically superb (except on SACD I use the "Source Direct" mode so that SACD is not converted to PCM for better sonics). Most folks and most theaters likely need more flexibility in the SSP and therefore the UD9004 won't necessarily work for them. I'm sure that Norm, Mark, Allen, Craig and all those hundreds of other Theta dealers (or once upon a time Theta dealers) lurking here at AVS will be glad to sell the CB3 HD or the upgrade should it come to pass!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #34 of 46 Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Steve there are presently less than a hundred Theta dealers and at least 22 are not lurking here.

In the land of Olde one day it came to pass . . . . and the quarterback was sacked by a blitz.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #35 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys
I recently acqired a new 65" TV(new for me)and then my Krell SACD died($1500 for upgrade)and since my Krell HTS7.1 has only 1 set of inputs..I am now looking at a UD9004.But was wondering if the caliber of SQ will compare to the Krell SACD,Esoteric DV60,Mcintosh 871,Raysonic CD128.
I have or had these in my system at one time.
What level of SQ would you compare this 40lb player at??
thanks
post #36 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Hi guys
I recently acqired a new 65" TV(new for me)and then my Krell SACD died($1500 for upgrade)and since my Krell HTS7.1 has only 1 set of inputs..I am now looking at a UD9004.But was wondering if the caliber of SQ will compare to the Krell SACD,Esoteric DV60,Mcintosh 871,Raysonic CD128.
thanks

I can only tell you that the UD9004 multi-channel analog out into my Theta Six Shooter sounds phenomenal. The Six Shooter is unique because its separate from the main SSP, connected by a data cable, as well as interconnects, this it has outstanding sound quality. Other SSs with multi-channel analog inputs contained iwthin the main SSP likely do not sound as good! The UD9004 is a really outstanding analog out player and I wouldn't be surprised if you find it comparable or better than the players you mention, but as I haven't demod them I can only guess.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #37 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 AM

thanks Steve
post #38 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys
thanks

If you want to hold on to your HTS7.1, AND want to play both MCH SACD and Blu Ray your options are limited to a Universal Blu Ray player which takes the Krell SACD and Esoteric out of contention. For the best MCH analog outs you are then restricted to the Denon/Marantz/McIntosh which are based on the same platform. Without the benefit of having heard them all three, I got the Marantz, because they beefed up the analog audio substantially, and its street price is 50% of the McIntosh. Like Steve, I am very pleased with it, but I have never heard it go head to head with a 5 figure dedicated SACD/CD player.

I think your only reasonable two box alternative is to get a Blu Ray player with stellar analog outs (the Pioneer BDP-09 comes to mind) for video duties, and a very good 2 channel SACD/CD player for audio. The Pioneer would get you 90% of the Marantz performance for movies, while I suspect there may be dedicated 2 channel audio players that outperform the Marantz (may be something like the Marantz SA-7S1, the Cary 306, or one of the Esoteric pieces). If you do most of your critical listening in two channel, can live with a bit of compromise on video, and MCH SACD is not an important consideration this would be a good option. Note though that I had a Pioneer BDP-09 and an upgraded Sony XA5400 before the Marantz, and I found the Marantz to be better on CD/SACD than the Sony. Since many have commented that the Sony is at par with the 5 figure players, you could conclude that to get a CD/SACD player that outperforms the Marantz on two channel, you need to spend EMM Labs kind of money.
post #39 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilesavant View Post

I just "luv" my new Gimcrack 4000 SACD player. Of all the players I've heard, I think it's the best. My friends say that it's the best they've ever heard too. I heartily recommend it. I haven't auditioned any of the players you mentioned, much less compared them to my player. It's possible that a another player might sound better. I don't know. Hope that's helpful.

DW, how nice of you to join the Theta and other audiophile threads. What would we do without you?

post #40 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gimcrack

Noun 1. gimcrack - ornamental objects of no great value
post #41 of 46 Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gimcrack

Noun 1. gimcrack - ornamental objects of no great value

Well at least the Gimcrack UD-9004 is nice kooking, and like a good paper weight it has plenty mass. Norm
post #42 of 46 Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM

well boys...I ordered one and will see how it works out in my system
It replaces a Raysonic CD 128 and a Krell SACD Standard.
post #43 of 46 Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
well boys...I ordered one and will see how it works out in my system
It replaces a Raysonic CD 128 and a Krell SACD Standard.
I betcha by golly wow that DW is really disappointed!

post #44 of 46 Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I betcha by golly wow that DW is really disappointed!

I betcha the mysterious mister DW has an all Gimcrack system, and would not use a Marantz if you gave it to him for free.
post #45 of 46 Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I thought I'd better get to the bottom of this DAC application issue in the CBIII HD. I tried to find the dealer memo Alan referred to without success so I e mailed Carl Nicolson about it. In answer to my question about the Supeior II not being compatable with the new HDMI version of the CB III, I received this respose:
"Hello Norm:

Probably a misunderstanding. The currently available DACs all have sufficient resolution to process HD audio signals. Only the old Standard and Superior I DAC cards are incompatible.

Regards,

Carl"

Hope this clears this issue up for everyone. Regards, NOrm
post #46 of 46 Old 12-20-2010, 12:02 AM

Well I recieved my first ever BR player(9004) and got it hooked up Sat. nite...I watched Prince of Persia...Avatar and the Backup Plan(you gotta do what you gotta do for the wife).
The buid quality seems top notch(42lbs),the tray seems smooth but the remote (although layout is good) designer should be slapped(not backlit)..even just light up the play/pause area for HT...
The movies looked and sounded great and when I have more time during the holidays i will try music
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page