Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 519 Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you mean hardware, I got a Dell poweredge rackmount server, a SAS RAID card, and added a 24 drive SAS expander box. For server software I am trying Windows Home Server to start, expecting to try the Vail version when it is released. I have encountered pros and cons for WHS so far, Vail may make that list worse or better depending on what they do with their drive technology. I'm trying to stay out of or away from using their "pool" since I have a full hardware RAID implementation that I understand fully and prefer over M$'s DE technology. I went with WHS explicitly becasue of MM for WHS and becasue I understand there is some added integration with the WHS product. Right now I'm having some technical issues burning, haven't nailed dow the casue, btu that's a different topic. If I decide I dont' like it, I probably have enough geek blood to get lsarver help me setup a XBMC to try, we are in the same city .

As for clients, I bought a Sage HD300 to try and I plan to put together a HTPC. Waiting on the Sandybridge MB to become available and to see what if anything AMD's new processor will do related to all of this. So client stuff mostly up in the air right now. PArticularly until I get the kinks worked out on the server.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 519 Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I may have missed it, but is the Crestron ADMS a suitable high end media server? Apparently it can play movies previously ripped to NAS with AnyDVD HD. Additionally, it appears to offer better integration for those that have or are doing a Crestron system for control.
post #273 of 519 Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am using a ADMS with a Crestron 200 disc changer. Crestron is about to release a new version which will allow the Sony 400 disc changer (you can daisy chain 8 such changers using a 8 port HDMI switch). The Sony changer is relatively inexpensive and the ADMS price has been reduced (Dont remember exactly but youcan check with delaer).
The ADMS is a fantastic interface and works great with Crestron panel which I have but even for those who do not have Creston you can use a bluetooth keyboard or through VNC (I have VNC on my Iphone I Can use) as this a windows 7 machine with a locked up interface.
The beauty of this machine is that you can have media in changer, its 1 TB hard drive or a NAS on a network which supports and its puuls all the data onto a very usable interface. For example, it will pull home movies, pictures, DVD, Blu Ray, Music and even has youtube hulu etc in built.
Crestron has something up thier sleeve here as this can end up to be a box soluton for everything.
The only down side I have noticed is that as any windows based machine it requires a reboot once in a while to make it stable but I shut down the machine anyway when I am not using it so it is a non issue. Also, in my setup, I could not use 1080p24sf output as picture stutters although I can play 1080p60 which my Sim Lumis projector internally converts to 180p24.
I undestand that Crestron is working on version 2 software which will further enhance the usability and interface.
Ash
post #274 of 519 Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
. . . I went with WHS explicitly becasue of MM for WHS and becasue I understand there is some added integration with the WHS product. Right now I'm haveign some technical issues burning, haven't nailed dow the casue, btu that's a different topic. If I decide I dont' like it, I probably have enough geek blood to get lsarver help me setup a XBMC to try, we are in the same city
Ready when you are, GG.

WHS and XBMC aren't mutually exclusive (back-end and front-end respectively). Of course you can also use WMC/MM and XBMC front-ends in parallel. (I gave up on the former: it was way too clunky, but my back-end was XP). You can even use MM as the scraper for XBMC, but I believe it costs extra.

I've heard (around here, I think) that M$ plans to drop WMC from most future versions of Windows. If true, you might not want to invest a lot of time in it.
post #275 of 519 Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. I hadn't made the complete distinction, I have a better feel for it now. If only if could magically make the hardware behave and do source direct, (and have the spiffy K/MM like interface too of course) I'd be on it immediately. I may end up being happy with the little Sage box, once I get it all setup and play with it. Might be the first time I was happy with the cheaper alternative. SO I probably won't be
post #276 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

i think we share the same need for source direct, but im thinking of using 2 dune d1 boxes. one for dvd's (480i out) and the other for blurays (1080p). both these would be fed into a scaler and into the pj. at first i thought this would be an issue for ir commands, but using a urc msc400 basestation i am able to do ir routing so that won't be an issue. have you thought of doing it this way?

also curious when you will be testing out your sage and posting a writeup.

post #277 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i think we share the same need for source direct, but im thinking of using 2 dune d1 boxes. one for dvd's (480i out) and the other for blurays (1080p). both these would be fed into a scaler and into the pj. at first i thought this would be an issue for ir commands, but using a urc msc400 basestation i am able to do ir routing so that won't be an issue. have you thought of doing it this way?

Sorry, why would you use two D1's? That is, what would be the advantage over one D1 accessing storage with both DVD and Blu-ray?
post #278 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think he means to segregate the 408i and the 1080p content so as not to have to switch. You could load your DVD's on one share point, and the BRD on a different one. An interesting idea, but you'd have to segregate the movie collection interface, too. And that would be bad for my particular setup. I'd rather have them all presented together. What would be spiffy is if someone could make a HTPC "app" that would allow me to browse a MM type interface, but then when I've chosen the thing I want to play, it directs and automates the selection on a different device. e.g. select a movie, it tells my control system to kick off a command sequence to have an Oppo player play the thing from the network.
post #279 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I think he means to segregate the 408i and the 1080p content so as not to have to switch. You could load your DVD's on one share point, and the BRD on a different one. An interesting idea, but you'd have to segregate the movie collection interface, too. And that would be bad for my particular setup. I'd rather have them all presented together. What would be spiffy is if someone could make a HTPC "app" that would allow me to browse a MM type interface, but then when I've chosen the thing I want to play, it directs and automates the selection on a different device. e.g. select a movie, it tells my control system to kick off a command sequence to have an Oppo player play the thing from the network.
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. But two D1's seem like a more expensive approach with maybe the same number of remote clicks (or a macro) at the end. Source direct seems to be the answer.
post #280 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I've been covered up with work as of late. A good problem, but I haven't been able to "play" much. As I can I've working on the complexities of the (WHS) server and how I want to set it up. And doing some test runs. I'm mostly done with that, doing a clean build and setup starting tonight. After that it's on to the client. Will be time to get the little Sage out of the box I guess
post #281 of 519 Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I've been covered up with work as of late. A good problem, but I haven't been able to "play" much. As I can I've working on the complexities of the (WHS) server and how I want to set it up. And doing some test runs. I'm mostly done with that, doing a clean build and setup starting tonight. After that it's on to the client. Will be time to get the little Sage out of the box I guess

I look forward to your reading your impressions on the Sage.
post #282 of 519 Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got money you don't want? I can help: give it to me. (Oh, right . . . . this is the high-end crowd. )

Remember, Dune remotes have a Mode button which allows you to change the output resolution/frame rate on the fly. (That's from a list. There might be a discrete command that a universl remote could learn.)
post #283 of 519 Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

any chance you had time to play with the sage yet?

post #284 of 519 Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 AM
amt

Liked: 12
I now have 2 HD300s and SageTV DVR backend on a Linux server and have been more or less happy with it. I use the DVR for recording all local broadcasts (coupled with HDHomeRun tuners). The DVR experience is overall significantly better than what I experienced on DirecTV. One of my peeves with DirecTV was how slow the DVR can be (press a button, sometimes wait 5 seconds for anything to happen). The Sage is much, much faster. Things I don't like: (1) chapter skip uses the channel up/down buttons (2) fast forwarding is not very fluid and does not auto backup like Tivo, Dish, DirecTV, etc. They do, however have programmable skips (5, 10, 30 secs). (3) When using native resolution switching, for some reason the HDMI signal completely resets on any resolution switch. I did not experience this on my DirecTV DVR. This is important to me because I would use the Radiance XD, and as long as my output mode did not change when switching input modes, it would not cause the projector to re-sync (I only get a re-sync when output goes to/from 24p). The projector always re-syncs when the Sage changes the video modes. My only guess is that the Sage is dropping the HDMI signal for a moment during the switch, causing the Radiance to lose the signal, causing the projector to lose it, and when the signal finally does come back, it has to re-sync.
post #285 of 519 Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Anthony: I'm still wrestling it. It has not been going well. I'll give a full report when I either get it working or give up.

amt: I am surprised the Lumagen is resyncing. That was one of the things I loved about my old Vision HDP. I'd ask Lumagen about that. I don't think it should be. But I guess now that I think o fit, if it's switching it's output back and forth for 24p, than I can see it.
post #286 of 519 Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
I now have 2 HD300s and SageTV DVR backend on a Linux server and have been more or less happy with it. I use the DVR for recording all local broadcasts (coupled with HDHomeRun tuners). The DVR experience is overall significantly better than what I experienced on DirecTV. One of my peeves with DirecTV was how slow the DVR can be (press a button, sometimes wait 5 seconds for anything to happen). The Sage is much, much faster. Things I don't like: (1) chapter skip uses the channel up/down buttons (2) fast forwarding is not very fluid and does not auto backup like Tivo, Dish, DirecTV, etc. They do, however have programmable skips (5, 10, 30 secs). (3) When using native resolution switching, for some reason the HDMI signal completely resets on any resolution switch. I did not experience this on my DirecTV DVR. This is important to me because I would use the Radiance XD, and as long as my output mode did not change when switching input modes, it would not cause the projector to re-sync (I only get a re-sync when output goes to/from 24p). The projector always re-syncs when the Sage changes the video modes. My only guess is that the Sage is dropping the HDMI signal for a moment during the switch, causing the Radiance to lose the signal, causing the projector to lose it, and when the signal finally does come back, it has to re-sync.
Would you prefer just a native refresh rate option? Or is it the method that the HD300 is using to native switch that's causing the issue?
post #287 of 519 Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
amt

I think it's the method that the hd300 switches video modes that is causing the issue. I have never had this problem with any other sources, as long as the video modes switching to/from have the same output config in the Radiance. In my config, only a 24p source changes the output mode (to 1080p/24), so as long as the source is not switching to/from 24p, all other video modes should not cause a re-sync by the projector.

I wonder if I should try the component outputs of the HD300, just to see if the behavior changes. I have no intention of sticking with component, so even if it works, I guess I am no better off. I should bring this up with Sage, but I have just been too busy to do so.

One other thing I wanted to mention was the de-interlacing of the HD300. My second HD300 is in the bedroom, and I do not use native resolution switching because my 4 year old Plasma does not do 1080p/24. So, I am forced to pick just one mode, and I am using 1080p/60. All of the 1080i sources (many of my TV shows from Sage DVR) have terrible combing when there is motion. I guess I need to try a 1080i output, let the TV do the de-interlacing to see if this goes away. This of course assumes the 1080i output on the Sage is not just a 1080p output with half the lines missing (a de-interlace followed by an interlace). Gotta admit it sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a new bedroom TV, but I am pretty sure my wife would kill me.
post #288 of 519 Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

My second HD300 is in the bedroom, and I do not use native resolution switching because my 4 year old Plasma does not do 1080p/24. So, I am forced to pick just one mode, and I am using 1080p/60.

If you remove 1080p/24 from the supported resolutions list you can enable native output and it will "upscale" 24->60 for 24p content in the box.
post #289 of 519 Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
amt

Thanks, that worked!
post #290 of 519 Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

so it seems that few extenders currently available have native output resolution, so for those of us with good scalers, what is the best setting to output these boxes to with a library mix of dvd and bluray (24p and 60).

post #291 of 519 Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What about the Vidabox?

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #292 of 519 Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

i looked into that a while ago and remember that for 1) it is expensive, and 2) you need to buy the entire system to get it running (ie. their server, plus streamer). for most who rips their movies on their hdd and just want a streamer to get the file through network share, the basic streamers have the idea right but practically none have the source direct function as of yet.

post #293 of 519 Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

i looked into that a while ago and remember that for 1) it is expensive, and 2) you need to buy the entire system to get it running (ie. their server, plus streamer). for most who rips their movies on their hdd and just want a streamer to get the file through network share, the basic streamers have the idea right but practically none have the source direct function as of yet.

I have been talking to Steven from VidaBox and his words were, "we store videos losslessly, without manipulating the original source stream."

From that I gather that is what we are all after?

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #294 of 519 Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

I have been talking to Steven from VidaBox and his words were, "we store videos losslessly, without manipulating the original source stream."

From that I gather that is what we are all after?

No. That only paints part of the picture and the easy one. Almost any system has the ability to store content in the original content (though most users will remove protection in Blu-ray and DVDs.)

What very few systems do is source direct playback. Some will match the resolution and frame-rate to the source content but only a handful match the colorspace without some conversion loss (even if extremely minor).

Mikinho

Microsoft WECH MVP | Missing Remote

post #295 of 519 Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

i am going to be purchasing a dune d1 player in the next week or so and see how it goes. this will be my first media streamer apart from htpc's, but i will be feeding the signal into my scaler and compare it directly with the source bluray in my oppo bdp83 fed through the same scaler.

post #296 of 519 Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the lack of DVD @24p mentioned as a con in a recent review, is that a feature that is desirable in a source direct streamer connected to a dedicated VP or just in a deck that handles scaling as well because displays won't accept 480p at that rate?
post #297 of 519 Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My understanding was that for Blu-Ray material coming off the disk (in) at 23.96 the Intel implementation was changing that to 24.00 fps out. I'd be tickled if that were not the case or was an error that was moot for my setup. Anyone know the details?
post #298 of 519 Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding was that for Blu-Ray material coming off the disk (in) at 23.96 the Intel implementation was changing that to 24.00 fps out. I'd be tickled if that were not the case or was an error that was moot for my setup. Anyone know the details?

If you have a SNB setup disabling UAC gets you decent precision (23.973), otherwise it is the same as Clarkdale (24.000-24.001).
post #299 of 519 Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm OK with disabling UAC, but what I'm not sure about is where's the error exactly? Is it that it it sendig the frames at the wrong speed, or is it aking the frames and stuffing extras to make up for the mismatch? I doubt I can see .1 fps differences, but I can see judder from 3:2 pulldowns. And, I guess the next question will be what will the VP (Lumagen) or projector do with a 24.0 frame rate.
post #300 of 519 Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm OK with disabling UAC, but what I'm not sure about is where's the error exactly? Is it that it it sendig the frames at the wrong speed, or is it aking the frames and stuffing extras to make up for the mismatch? I doubt I can see .1 fps differences, but I can see judder from 3:2 pulldowns.

Intel isn't talking about what the root cause of the 24.001 v. 23.973 problem is or why UAC needs to be disable to get there, the other .003 is a hardware issue.

When running 23.976 content @24Hz I think you get a duplicate frame every 40 seconds, which is noticeable in many cases on the other hand I haven't been able to spot the 1 frame drop ever 4 min @23.973.

Quote:

And, I guess the next question will be what will the VP (Lumagen) or projector do with a 24.0 frame rate.

It should work fine, there is real 24FPS content in the wild.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page