Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 519 Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think I can live with one frame drop every 4 minutes. For now. Don't think I could see the audio sync at that small error either. Happen to know when the 35w parts will be available?

Edit: Nevermind re availability. Saw your answer on www.missingremote.com's intel i3-2100t review. Now for a motherboard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 519 Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Since there's so many smart guys on this thread, I was wondering if someone knew of a utility out there that will allow you to switch audio devices on the fly? For example, HDMI for movies and at a press of a button on my remote, switch the default sound card to SPDIF audiocard or USB DAC for music playback.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #303 of 519 Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Since there's so many smart guys on this thread, I was wondering if someone knew of a utility out there that will allow you to switch audio devices on the fly? For example, HDMI for movies and at a press of a button on my remote, switch the default sound card to SPDIF audiocard or USB DAC for music playback.

I've never used it, but I think Vista Audio Changer does that.
post #304 of 519 Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thought i would chime in since i bought a dune d1 and have been enjoying it very much. i have yet to get audio or video stutter in my setup (server running windows 7, bluray iso rips and 11mb/s read speed from dune over gigabit network). i use zappiti for the GUI and its most impressive and customizable.

even though the dune outputs ycbcr 4:4:4 into my scaler (denon 602), i recently compared the bluray "valkyrie" which is a pristine transfer in both sound and picture quality. both the dune and my oppo bdp83 were fed to a different input on my denon scaler and into my jvc rs35 pj. i can say that after testing for about 1 hour on different scenes with that movie, that i was unable to distinguish a difference in pq. this surprised me very much as all the comments i had read from dune owners all stated that the dune was close but their oppo was better. im betting because i have both sources fed into the scaler that im getting near identical performance. the thing that surprised me the most though was that i set the dune to output either 1080p24 or 1080p60 whereas the oppo was source direct. the only time i noticed a slight reduction in sharpness was when i set the dune to 1080i60. but that reduction in sharpness also reduced visual "film grain" so i also like that setting.

if you're still having trouble with the sage, i would try out the dune. as of now, if hdi comes out with source direct... great. if not, im just as happy.

post #305 of 519 Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

if you're still having trouble with the sage, i would try out the dune. as of now, if hdi comes out with source direct... great. if not, im just as happy.

The SOC in both players are very similar (Sigma) so there shouldn't be much difference in PQ.
post #306 of 519 Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Well, to be explicit, My priorities are in this order:

1. Any 1080 (Blu Ray content only) is output as sourced. No color space (RGB 4:4:4m YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2) conversions, no frame rate conversions (24p, 60i), no deinterlacing.

2. Any 480i content is handled similarly (SD DVD)

3. As I don't have much confidence in the encoding quality of much of anythign else I can think of (video downloads, odd ball resolutions, etc.), I'm not worried about what the GPU and software does to/for them.

I want pristene transport of the BR content. HD-SDI out would be the icing on the cake. That said, I don't suppose there's a commercial PC based HD-SDI card that would do that? As I understand it, except for BR ISO's (not sure there) the HDCP is stripped during the ripping process so maybe that would be a workaround. HD-SDI->HDMI converters without munging the video into upstream high end VPs (that don't have HD-SDI already) are available.

If I can have pristene BlueRay that would be the main heavy hitter. After that SD-DVD (480i) without color conversion and deinterlacing would be #2 on the list.

Is actual native content available off Bluray disc at this time? More specificaly 1080P24 or 1080P23.976? Actual frame rate as disc?
post #307 of 519 Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

No, well, no one is doing it like a standalone player that I know of. You have colorspace conversions (YCbCr -> RGB), and frame rate issues. Several pieces of hardware get close on framerate. The HTPC I built does OK, and after running it through my Lumagen I don't usually see any frame skips, but it is not doing perfect 23.976. There are threads on the topic and my summary is that none of them can lock that rate, all of them have some variations for technical reasons related to PC hardware.

That said, I'm using the MyMovies product on a HTPC I built and overall have been pleased with what it brings to the table. Mine is far from flawless, seems to always misbehave when I have guests, but still, I use it due to the interface I like a lot. And I have complete flexibility to use my own server to store my video from whatever source, and in whatever format I choose. Reasonable cost, reasonable performance, nice interface. I keep watching for the HTPC-like solution that's as flawless as an Oppo, but it's not there, yet, that I know of.
post #308 of 519 Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott:

I am wondering if anyone has any real life experience with the Dune HD Max Player, they claim perfect 23.976 playback...
post #309 of 519 Old 08-07-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Thanks Scott:
I am wondering if anyone has any real life experience with the Dune HD Max Player, they claim perfect 23.976 playback...

The Dune players generally work well, but it lacks a native "jukebox" (there are 3rd party solutions but they are kind of a PITA to manage) and often requires beta firmware updates that break other things to play the latest BD discs.
post #310 of 519 Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Lon, to be clear, I bought one of the Dunes. I had high hopes for it. Lived with it for a good while. Got it after the SageTV thing didn't work out. Playback was fine as far as frame rate went IIRC. But as Andy said, it's human interface left a lot to be desired. I tried some of the 3rd party interfaces and they were OK, but not the same as MyMovies. I gave up trying to make it work to suit me and sold it.

MyMovies has it's issues too, and I really dont' like running on top of Windows Media Center whichit does, but the advantages of the interface have outweighed the disadvantages for me. What I haven't tried is XBMC. It exceeded my tolerance for geekware, I just didn't have the energy/time to dig into it.
post #311 of 519 Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Coming up on 2 years since I started this thread. I sure hoped by now someone would have made a rock solid, source direct client with a decent MyMovies or K-like interface. Still none that I know of. Are there?

Meanwhile, a friend demonstrated that Oppos with an older firmware would play iso files. I was about to jump up and down, then they pointed out it would only do it from an attached drive. He bought a spare with the old firmware just to ensure he'd have the capability. Problem there is you can't update firmware to account for new disc issues without losing the functionality.

If the Oppo could do that over the network, I'd probably use it as my player, and still use MyMovies as a database/interface. Use MyMovies and maybe an iPad to choose what I want to watch, then select it from a list presented on the Oppo.

But alas, Oppo removed even the direct attached iso playback capability in current firmware as I understand it. Plus constantly havng to transfer files to a drive then attach to the Oppo would be tedious and get old very fast. So close, but it just isn't making it.... Idea's?
post #312 of 519 Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

The Dune players generally work well, but it lacks a native "jukebox" (there are 3rd party solutions but they are kind of a PITA to manage) and often requires beta firmware updates that break other things to play the latest BD discs.

I am sorry but I am NooB at this, what is native "jukebox"?

What I have decided on is a Vidabox Rackclient V3, and if I am not happy with 1080P24(or variant) then possibly adding a Dune HD-Max for just 1080P24 Bluray playback to get the 23.976 playback wanted. The system would be configured as DuneHD ready, and then have the Dune player as the main playback unit The VidaBox’s HDMI output can still be used where 23.976 playback isn’t critical.Hopefully though I will be happy with the Rackclient V3's 1080P24 and won't have to go through this second configuration.
post #313 of 519 Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An aggregated way to view media files, usually with associated metadata. W/o this you have to browse the file system to select files.
post #314 of 519 Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:

Or said another way, A pretty user interfce that lets you browse movies by cover art, that shows movie details, descriptions, ratings, comments, actors, genera's, etc. The K interface is a jukebox. Vidabox uses the MyMovies "jukebox" software. The alternative is to have a file or directory list, period. Like what you would get if you connected your smart TV to a home network to browse media files on a PC.
post #315 of 519 Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 AM

it it good to know the Vidabox works well anyway
post #316 of 519 Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Here are my initial thoughts regarding the Vidabox RackclienV3. 1080P24 Bluray(1080P23.976) playback is perfect or very close to perfect. My Lumagen is reporting 1080P23.98 as the Lumagen rounds out the number. 1080P24 from my Pioneer BDP-09FD, and Oppo 93 also read 1080P23.98 from Radiance. As far as audio is concerned the VBox is sending Bit for Bit high resolution HD audio codecs. On the negative side Frame packed 3D is virtually unwatchable with stuttering or skipping every 10-15 seconds, I am not sure what is going on in 3D mode but it is not good. The stuttering/skipping also cause loss of sync for that moment with 3D glasses.
post #317 of 519 Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Coming up on 2 years since I started this thread. I sure hoped by now someone would have made a rock solid, source direct client with a decent MyMovies or K-like interface. Still none that I know of. Are there?
Meanwhile, a friend demonstrated that Oppos with an older firmware would play iso files. I was about to jump up and down, then they pointed out it would only do it from an attached drive. He bought a spare with the old firmware just to ensure he'd have the capability. Problem there is you can't update firmware to account for new disc issues without losing the functionality.
If the Oppo could do that over the network, I'd probably use it as my player, and still use MyMovies as a database/interface. Use MyMovies and maybe an iPad to choose what I want to watch, then select it from a list presented on the Oppo.
But alas, Oppo removed even the direct attached iso playback capability in current firmware as I understand it. Plus constantly havng to transfer files to a drive then attach to the Oppo would be tedious and get old very fast. So close, but it just isn't making it.... Idea's?

Hold on for another 3-4 months. I have been told (and sworn to secrecy) that something like what your want is coming. Of course until it is available it is only vaporware.

As soon as I get the a 100% go ahead, I will post the details.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #318 of 519 Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

Hold on for another 3-4 months. I have been told (and sworn to secrecy) that something like what your want is coming. Of course until it is available it is only vaporware.

Well I hope it is 3D too then.
post #319 of 519 Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My understanding has been that anything Ivy Bridge or prior cannot do 23.976. Haswell, hopefully, but not certain.
post #320 of 519 Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The intel chip has nothing to do with the video output frame rate, unless you are using the intel HD graphics.

The video card determines the output frame rate and for at least 6 to 9 months Nvida and AMD both support real 24p. There are also older generations that support the correct frame rate. They each list the products on their home pages.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #321 of 519 Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you possibly provide general information on this product
post #322 of 519 Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Well I hope it is 3D too then.

I have been led to believe it is 3-D capable.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #323 of 519 Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could you possibly provide general information on this product

No public info can be posted. The Company doesn't want pressure and speculation if it takes more time than expected.

Plus, until all is in place, and licenses are signed and approved, it is vaporware.

We'll see.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #324 of 519 Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

No public info can be posted. The Company doesn't want pressure and speculation if it takes more time than expected.
Plus, until all is in place, and licenses are signed and approved, it is vaporware.
We'll see.
Did you say sign license? Sounds like they haven't started on the most impossible part of this task smile.gif.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #325 of 519 Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
But alas, Oppo removed even the direct attached iso playback capability in current firmware as I understand it. Plus constantly havng to transfer files to a drive then attach to the Oppo would be tedious and get old very fast. So close, but it just isn't making it.... Idea's?]

Have you tried using a Dune Player with My Movies as the front end/jukebox?? I'm working on a setup with a Dune Player and My Movies...and from the testing that I've done, it's extremely close to a K setup. I've been a My Movies user for years, but the shortcoming has always been having to use it on a HTPC......driver issues, software blu-ray players to deal with, etc. Going this route, you get the simplicity and stability of a set top box, with a top notch interface in My Movies. I've got a gorgeous jukebox display of cover art on my projector or plasma to choose movies (Almost identical to K..minus the moving cover art), or I can pick them from the My Movies ipad/android app that is also integrated with the Dune Player. The app also supports multiple Dune Players!

Setup is very simple. Rip your movies however you want (MKV, ISO, etc). I use MKV because I have no interest in menus, etc. It supports HD audio, chapters and forced/unforced subtitles. Use My Movies Collection Management to mange your movie's. With it's folder monitoring, it was correct in 173 out of 175 of the movies I ripped. Setup My Movies to export Metadata for use on a Dune Player. Export your library to your Dune Player. Choose the My Movies icon on the Dune Player and you are streaming. I have my personal collection of 175 movies ripped in this fashion on two 3T drives with space for another 20-30 movies still...

Cost? under a grand (don't think you can even get a K hard drive for that ) smile.gif
HP Proliant Server with WHS 2011 $255. Dune Player $310. My Movies $50. 2 3T Hard Drives $300. Blu Ray for HP Server and 8G RAM $85.

I couple of other notes....

My friend has a non blu-ray K system, and he will defend it to his death...and I don't blame him as his was the one that got me hooked on having such a setup. However, if you want to do blu-ray, the cost for him to upgrade to a system that could only handle 100 blu-rays was...well let's just say orders of magnitude+ more than my setup. "But the dealer monitors my hard drives for possible failures". Ha for $300 or $600 more I can build in double or triple redundancy to my system. smile.gif

Lastly, I've got a old firmware Oppo as well for playback of direct attached .isos. Have not turned it on once in the past two months smile.gif
post #326 of 519 Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Did you say sign license? Sounds like they haven't started on the most impossible part of this task smile.gif.

Those musings were my own and not from the manufacturer, so they may already have approvals. I was just suggesting issues that can take time and delay products.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #327 of 519 Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Is it correct that the dune hd player does not support source direct?
post #328 of 519 Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Setup is very simple. Rip your movies however you want (MKV, ISO, etc). I use MKV because I have no interest in menus, etc. It supports HD audio, chapters and forced/unforced subtitles. Use My Movies Collection Management to mange your movie's. With it's folder monitoring, it was correct in 173 out of 175 of the movies I ripped. Setup My Movies to export Metadata for use on a Dune Player. Export your library to your Dune Player. Choose the My Movies icon on the Dune Player and you are streaming. I have my personal collection of 175 movies ripped in this fashion on two 3T drives with space for another 20-30 movies still...
For all of this remember the comparison for me, and many others, is to the simple and near flawless performance of a Oppo when playing BRD adn DVD. FOr others, (not me) 3D is important, too.

That said, I did try the Dune, for a good while. It was OK, but was not without it's own warts. It was not source direct, either, but I don't remember the details. They may be at the beginning of this thread. I remember some of the big cons for it were

a) there was no decent jukebox that worked well for a big screen front projector. I tried a couple of 3rd party jukeboxes, ended up with yadis IIRC, using MyMovies metadata. It was not very configurable gave me huge cover art, like 3 tall on a 60" tall screen, when 5 is more appropriate. It was not anywhere as nice or configurable as a PC's Mymovies interface.

b) for updating the interface I had to regenerate the Dune files and then load them onto a flash drive that was attached to the Dune after I finished loading on the server. Something that was not automatic, did not always go smoothly, and was a PITA to do every time I loaded a movie on or off the server (which I do a lot of).

c) the Dune was flakey at network connections, requiring reboots fairly regularly to get it to see shares. SOmethign sommon to many others at the time, nto a hardware problem or I'd ahve swapped the box.

b) Not a Dune issue per se, except that the dune seemed "happier" with mkv's, but for ripping, mine is done on a server, via MyMovies Drop and Rip feature which will only do iso's or folder structures. I want the disc's menu functionality for a few reasons. The most important is the ability to do scene selection and have fully functional popup meuns which often include the scenne selections. Having access to specil features or ocmmentary is important on some older movies I might want to actually learn more about. But, there were reasons to not use mkv's at the time (sorry, forget those too). I think it had to do with bitstreaming HD audio and forced subtitles. Both had issues IIRC. I didn't want to ahve to watch every movie to see if it has english subtitles I needed in the movie (like when aliens or indians etc. talk and they give subtitles in english on an english movie). Anyway , there were issues.
post #329 of 519 Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:

For all of this remember the comparison for me, and many others, is to the simple and near flawless performance of a Oppo when playing BRD adn DVD. FOr others, (not me) 3D is important, too.
That said, I did try the Dune, for a good while. It was OK, but was not without it's own warts. It was not source direct, either, but I don't remember the details. They may be at the beginning of this thread. I remember some of the big cons for it were
a) there was no decent jukebox that worked well for a big screen front projector. I tried a couple of 3rd party jukeboxes, ended up with yadis IIRC, using MyMovies metadata. It was not very configurable gave me huge cover art, like 3 tall on a 60" tall screen, when 5 is more appropriate. It was not anywhere as nice or configurable as a PC's Mymovies interface. .

How long ago since you tried the Dune? Did you try the MyMovies interface for Dune?? Mine looks fabulous on my 110" projector setup. There are skins that allow you to change from 5 or 7 rows, or you can choose yourself with Dune Edit.
Quote:
b) for updating the interface I had to regenerate the Dune files and then load them onto a flash drive that was attached to the Dune after I finished loading on the server. Something that was not automatic, did not always go smoothly, and was a PITA to do every time I loaded a movie on or off the server (which I do a lot of)

?? If you are using the MyMovies front end, when you save a new title in the collection manger, it automatically updates the Dune.
Quote:
c) the Dune was flakey at network connections, requiring reboots fairly regularly to get it to see shares. SOmethign sommon to many others at the time, nto a hardware problem or I'd ahve swapped the box.

I've not had this issue. In fact, both of my Dune Players have been on without reboot for a couple of weeks straight.
Quote:
d) Not a Dune issue per se, except that the dune seemed "happier" with mkv's, but for ripping, mine is done on a server, via MyMovies Drop and Rip feature which will only do iso's or folder structures. I want the disc's menu functionality for a few reasons. The most important is the ability to do scene selection and have fully functional popup meuns which often include the scenne selections. Having access to specil features or ocmmentary is important on some older movies I might want to actually learn more about. But, there were reasons to not use mkv's at the time (sorry, forget those too). I think it had to do with bitstreaming HD audio and forced subtitles. Both had issues IIRC. I didn't want to ahve to watch every movie to see if it has english subtitles I needed in the movie (like when aliens or indians etc. talk and they give subtitles in english on an english movie). Anyway , there were issues.

I rip to .MKV, but .ISO works as well (did rip a few this way). Either is supported. Bit-streaming, forced subtitles, secondary audio tracks all work with .MKV....

You are correct in there is no source direct mode (yet) on the Dune. It is on the list of requested firmware enhancements. However, I did a side by side comparison from the same source material between the Dune and my Oppo in source direct mode on my projector setup, and could not tell any difference in the two.
post #330 of 519 Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

How long ago since you tried the Dune?
I admit it has been a while, at least a year, I'd have to go back and dig in the beginning of this thread to see.
Quote:
Did you try the MyMovies interface for Dune?? Mine looks fabulous on my 110" projector setup. There are skins that allow you to change from 5 or 7 rows, or you can choose yourself with Dune Edit.
I have not, but I am interested if you can configure it's rows. I remember some of the dune interface show stoppers for me were:

1) There was no way to have a "watched" indicator. Has this changed with the new interface?

2) To update the interface on the Dune, and have decent response on the device, you needed to add a flash drive and any time you made a change to the collection, copy the setup back to the Dune. That was tedious, but there was a user who worked out how to do it with Rsync. At the time SMB share access was buggy and required fairly regular reboots. Also a lot of times the Dune would lose visibility on the network so it couldn't be updated without a reboot. This working better now?

Quote:
?? If you are using the MyMovies front end, when you save a new title in the collection manger, it automatically updates the Dune.
Interesting. This is different, was not the way it was working.
Quote:
I've not had this issue. In fact, both of my Dune Players have been on without reboot for a couple of weeks straight.
A couple of weeks?? What caused them to need a reboot 2 weeks ago? My idea of reliable is no reboot should be required, ever. That said, I would also expect to power it off after use, back on when I want to use it so it would get fairly regular "restarts" Remind me tough, I'm thinking it has a "sleep" mode and never really powers off. Power off put it to "sleep", but when I had issues with networking etc, it required a hard power cycle (pull plug). I remember pricing remote control plugs so I could power cycle it if I was going to keep it. When you say "reboot" which do you mean?
Quote:
I rip to .MKV, but .ISO works as well (did rip a few this way). Either is supported. Bit-streaming, forced subtitles, secondary audio tracks all work with .MKV....
Good, improvements in mkv then, I think those were an issue then, but I didn't use mkv much so not sure.
Quote:
You are correct in there is no source direct mode (yet) on the Dune. It is on the list of requested firmware enhancements. However, I did a side by side comparison from the same source material between the Dune and my Oppo in source direct mode on my projector setup, and could not tell any difference in the two.
Yes, I forget which things were affected. Color space, or frame rate or both. What about auto-frame rate switching? I think back when I tried, you set it's output (e.g. 24hz) and that's what you got. No automatic way to change. Not sure.

Thanks for the input and followup details. Much appreciated. Elaboration welcome.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page