Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #511 of 538 Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Yup, I know it is what it is. Guess my only point, to K or any dealers who have probably already passed the same sentiment up to K is that the drive costs make their system a non starter for me. I mean I'm about at the point where I can see the value in a $2k player or a server, but the drive costs are just a showstopper for me.

Well, I don't think I will have the high end equipment that folks have here, but I did invest in a solid theater plan and build. I do agree with you 100% about Kscape and cost. I decided to go the build-a-server-yourself route for a lot less, but would like a decent media player option, especially one that has a drop-and-rip functionality. Kscape does have this, but I have found at least the Vidabox solutions and the ReQuest media player have this functionality too. Not sure if Vidabox requires use of it's own server hardware (looks like it works on WHS) but ReQuest F3 and MiniPlayer Plus do support drop-and-rip functionality without the need to store the disc in a vault and the added expense there. I had posted and inquiry in the media servers forum about ReQuest, but no one had any opinions to offer on the Request lineup. I guess not many people use it.

Anyway, I am in the same position that I can see the value in a $1-$2K player that plays nice with a DIY server, but there still does not seem to be many options that do what K does and does it well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 538 Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dune HD Max with Vidabox got me to 95%, this could get us to 100% http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450642/dune-max-hd-3d-at-ces#post_22808070

3D frame pack plus Source direct
post #513 of 538 Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Scott

Anything further in your quest?
post #514 of 538 Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #515 of 538 Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Thanks Peter
post #516 of 538 Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Scott

Anything further in your quest?
No, I don't use 3D so the Dune has met my needs. It's not perfect, but it will play about anything I watch and I converted my BRD's to mkv which typically cuts them in half on size (with no reencoding). I use the Mymovies interface which is decent on the dune with my 5x11 covers modification. It's not perfect, but it was way better than the HTPC experience. And it allows flexibility that I can't get with K. So for me, for now, I haven't been looking to change. Occasionally my Tivo will miss a OTA boradcast due to storms, a ball game that ran long, etc, I can go get that off the internet and play it on the Dune without issue. I like it's flexibility a lot.
post #517 of 538 Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
+1

Dune + MyMovies has been work pretty well for me. HTPC is just too problematic.
post #518 of 538 Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Agreed,...
post #520 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
No, I don't use 3D so the Dune has met my needs. It's not perfect, but it will play about anything I watch and I converted my BRD's to mkv which typically cuts them in half on size (with no reencoding). I use the Mymovies interface which is decent on the dune with my 5x11 covers modification. It's not perfect, but it was way better than the HTPC experience. And it allows flexibility that I can't get with K. So for me, for now, I haven't been looking to change. Occasionally my Tivo will miss a OTA boradcast due to storms, a ball game that ran long, etc, I can go get that off the internet and play it on the Dune without issue. I like it's flexibility a lot.
Scott (and anyone else interested )

I've been using OpenELEC (lightweight Linux distro of just XBMC/Kodi) and overall I've been quite pleased. It bitstreams audio fine, and can automatically switch between 24 and 60p. The missing link as it were is native resolution switching. But it looks like there's a chance that might make it in finally:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=64139&page=12

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #521 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Because everything else is just too problematic, personally, I, prefer to use MPC-HC (with madVR and support for HD Audio bitstreaming) for watching movies, and foobar2000 (with support for bit perfect output) for listening to music. I have a silent notebook PC with an i7 4510U and Nvidia 820M, a total of 37TB external harddrive storage space (SAN, not NAS...), an Emotiva UMC-200 via HDMI, and an Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme via USB.
post #522 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

I appreciate the heads up. Still smells like a HTPC and geekware to wrestle to me. The workarounds on getting audio and video are still kludges as far as I can tell, again requiring tweaking of geekware to get them to behave. I'm a nerd by nature I guess, but I'm weary of wrestling the HTPC. My Dune's aren't perfect, but compared to the high end HTPC I had (to wrestle), they get a 9.5 compared the the PC's 4. It will take some convincing for me. No way do I see running a windows box, or anything that requires using a keyboard for normal HT use.
post #523 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you're bored, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX.../dp/B00IT1WJZQ
this:
http://openelec.tv/
and follow this:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox

Yes it's "geeky" to get setup initially (though there are there are other options), but after that it's remarkably smooth sailing. There aren't any workarounds for audio or video passthrough, it runs just like an STB. And there's no Windows, or mouse or keyboard

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #524 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

I don't mind building the PC. Timing on this subject is interesting because I just finished gutting my old (pretty nice) HTPC to let my son have the motherboard, memory etc. to build his first gaming PC. I'm left with a nice fanless heatpipe cooled case which was pretty expensive when I got it. I liked silent so much I built my personal desktop PC in another case like it with a low power consumption i7 CPU.

Its the rest of it that I'm skeptical.

What about dropped frames? No one was able to fix that reliably, nor perfect syncing with the audio due to audio and video running on different clocks. How is that not an issue now? This was a hardware limitation that neither Intel nor AMD had solved, despite thinking they had in the last generation of CPU's I tried. Following family also failed this IIRC. How is it that a little celeron (you linked above) with no high end GPU can do it now? Or maybe you just don't notice it?

I just went and read the hardware requirements. My old i5 HTPC is perfectly OK per the Wiki. But I know that it is not, as all of that Intel family and all before it had the video clock issues. Sandybridge was my family IIRC. So, I remain very skeptical this is what you want it to be. But that I went to read it shows I had hope. Alas, does not appear to be "it".
post #525 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I don't mind building the PC. Timing on this subject is interesting because I just finished gutting my old (pretty nice) HTPC to let my son have the motherboard, memory etc. to build his first gaming PC. I'm left with a nice fanless heatpipe cooled case which was pretty expensive when I got it. I liked silent so much I built my personal desktop PC in another case like it with a low power consumption i7 CPU.

What about dropped frames? No one was able to fix that reliably, nor perfect syncing with the audio due to audio and video running on different clocks. How is that not an issue now? This was a hardware limitation that neither Intel nor AMD had solved, despite thinking they had in the last generation of CPU's I tried. Following family also failed this IIRC. How is it that a little celeron (you linked above) with no high end GPU can do it now? Or maybe you just don't notice it?

I just went and read the hardware requirements. My old i5 HTPC is perfectly OK per the Wiki. But I know that it is not, as all of that Intel family and all before it had the video clock issues. Sandybridge was my family IIRC. So, I remain very skeptical this is what you want it to be. But that I went to read it shows I had hope. Alas, does not appear to be "it".
Dropped/duplicated frames at 23.976 Hz vertical refresh rate are not a real issue on Intel Haswell CPUs with Intel HD 4600 Graphics, and you can verify this in madVR by pressing CTRL+J to bring up the debug OSD. That said, even if you use a standalone DVD/Blu-ray player arguably worth its salt (as opposed to an outdated, or pre-Haswell based HTPC) there will still be clock drift, just not as noticeable.
post #526 of 538 Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Well, this isn't the thread to get into the technicalities of HTPC building. But most of us 'round here use Oppos of one variant or another. I know of no clock issues. And even if there were, audio and video are running on the same clock, unlike a PC. If you want to take this up in more detail and educate me, I'm happy to participate in a different thread in the HTPC area, just start one and let me know.

Thanks
post #527 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidio View Post
Dropped/duplicated frames at 23.976 Hz vertical refresh rate are not a real issue on Intel Haswell CPUs with Intel HD 4600 Graphics, and you can verify this in madVR by pressing CTRL+J to bring up the debug OSD. That said, even if you use a standalone DVD/Blu-ray player arguably worth its salt (as opposed to an outdated, or pre-Haswell based HTPC) there will still be clock drift, just not as noticeable.
Not on BD3d on latest powerdvd, it stutters...
post #529 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Not on BD3d on latest powerdvd, it stutters...
I don't own a 3D compatible display so I can't comment, but I can remember 5 years ago I had to follow this guide to fix the stutter with playback of 2D content in PowerDVD for Blu-ray discs ripped to .iso files: https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread...O-for-PowerDVD
post #530 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I notice it maybe every once in a while on credits (maybe that was with my older Ivy Bridge i7), but can't say I've noticed it during "real" content. Honestly I don't really want to test it to find out. But as for how the "little" Celeron can do it, well it's a Haswell chip and apparently Intel finally fixed 23.976 with Haswell:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/i...-perspective/4

Quote:
FWIW, my suggestion is, if you've got old i5 hardware, drop OpenELEC on it and give it a shot. You're not out anything (well maybe $20 for a FLIRC if you don't have another IR receiver). I've been pleasantly surprised. Really, IMO, OpenELEC is the "breakthrough" that was needed, there's no Windows BS to deal with, no focus issues, no windows updates, no strange driver issues. You can really think of it like your Oppo, or Dune's firmware. It comes in an all in one package and you just stick it on compatible hardware. Then you just run through the settings and configure your audio/video options.

The only downsides are, the video processing is pathetic, but that's really only an issue for tough DVD content. For that I've ended up converting them to 1080p offline. And it can't do 3D, but my projector doesn't support that anyway, and even if/when I get one that does, I've got so few 3D BDs, that I can just use my Xbox One for that.

Quote:
Well, this isn't the thread to get into the technicalities of HTPC building. But most of us 'round here use Oppos of one variant or another. I know of no clock issues. And even if there were, audio and video are running on the same clock, unlike a PC. If you want to take this up in more detail and educate me, I'm happy to participate in a different thread in the HTPC area, just start one and let me know.

Thanks
Well there's this thread, specifically for the Chromebox an XBMC/Kodi/OpenELEC:
Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

Or there's a couple threads in the HTPC section, I think one of the better (ie most focused on hardware) is the Intel XBMC one.

post #531 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Well.... too late on my i5. Reborn as a teen's gaming PC . I'd not be against buying another if I had some compelling reason to move. But if it's not source direct, doesn't do 3D, may not be compatible with my "jukebox" (My Movies) meta generation, and I'd be surprised if it didn't muck with the color space (i.e. output converted rgb vs original YcbCr 4-x-x), I don't see any advantage over a Dune smart series. ?

As for processing I have a Lumagen, probably always will, so that's covered. Actually, that was the point of the beginning of this thread ( I think ). Wanting something that could extract the video and audio as un touched as possible form network located files. Then let the Lumagen handle processing.

I'll go skim the threads you pointed at and see whats up.
post #532 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well.... too late on my i5. Reborn as a teen's gaming PC . I'd not be against buying another if I had some compelling reason to move. But if it's not source direct, doesn't do 3D, may not be compatible with my "jukebox" (My Movies) meta generation, and I'd be surprised if it didn't muck with the color space (i.e. output converted rgb vs original YcbCr 4-x-x), I don't see any advantage over a Dune smart series. ?
I'd really like to try a Dune sometime still, but so far I've been unable to justify the price considering I've got other options, but IIRC Dune's don't have source direct do they?

Quote:
As for processing I have a Lumagen, probably always will, so that's covered. Actually, that was the point of the beginning of this thread ( I think ). Wanting something that could extract the video and audio as un touched as possible form network located files. Then let the Lumagen handle processing.
Yeah, I'm really looking for the same thing.

post #533 of 538 Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

They're cheap enough. Cheaper than a HTPC I'd expect anyway ~300. No, they aren't quite SD either, and don't do 3D (I don't think, not positive there and don't care right now) but they run flawlessly. Such a relief to use after turning down my HTPC. And no geekware to configure. All I did is set up a script on my server to periodically update it's index. And that was only necessary due to a MyMovies limitation of only writing it's index to one place. Trivial to set that up.

So, while I'm definitely open to a different solution, it has to be an improvement.
post #534 of 538 Old 04-11-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
 Quote:
Originally Posted by amt
Just wanted to also state, in case it's not obvious, that displaying the content is only 1/2 the story. Getting the content on a disk is just as much work. There are a couple options out there, and I am using MakeMKV currently. Since none of these players (except maybe Dune?) handle BD menus, I rip only the movie, so that a menu is really not needed. If I want to see the extras, I sometimes rip extras as it's own title, so it's easier to navigate to those. This may seem like a lot of work, but it gets easier as you do more. And anything to remove the forced previews and ads is worth it. Being able to select a movie and have it immediately start is very very nice.

Even the Dunes hang on some bluray .iso's. Avatar for example throws the new Dunes for a loop if ripped as an .iso. Everything else plays fine though. I do wish they would add a source direct so I could be sure it was not doing anything on its end but at least it ouputs 1080p 24 and bitstreams the high res audio codecs.
Not mine. Mine plays flawless.
post #535 of 538 Old 04-11-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are a do-it-yourself person then here is the setup that works perfect:

*** This is for individuals who live in countries that allow ripping of media that you own. Make sure you follow the laws where you live. This is solely to help high-end people have a nice way to enjoy the movies they own. ***

1) Dune or Zappiti Dune player
2) Zappiti Media Center - Scraper
3) Build a Fileserver
4) Rip your BDs that you own (Movie Only if you prefer)

It does take some learning to get your settings correct so you don't have network issues.

Need Gigabit with CAT 6 recommended in your entire chain, 5E will work. Do NOT use a managed Gigabit SWITCH.
You only need AnyDVD and DVDFab. AnyDVD is only used for certain discs that DVDFab may not handle. In this extremely rare case you need use AnyDVD to create unprotected ISO, then use DVDFab to extract movie only. Do not use the USA version of DVDFab. You need the international version.

Fileserver:
My enterprise file server is rack mountable and could easily exist inside a theater... it's that quiet.
SSD for OS
Server 2012 OS
Top of line - Dedicated RAID card SAS/SATA
i7/XEON - but overkill if just file server. If ripping on this machine then get fastest CPU
16/32GB unbuffered ECC RAM
Server MB and Case
Hot SWAP 8 drive bays - using 8 x 6TB drives (NAS). This is for heat considerations.
Gigabit ethernet
I get over 150MB/sec transfer rates when copying files from an SSD

I tried MyMovies and hated it. Way too much work. With Zappiti media center you hit scan, scrape, done- fast too. It fills in cover art, fan art, movie info almost flawlessly. Then click export to Dune. Done.
In Dune player you create a shortcut to Zappiti and when it's powered on it starts the Zappiti frontend for browsing movies.

There is a new DUNE in the works that deals with forced subtitles (ie Avatar) with an ISO.

If you are a mymovies kinda person. Then this is much better.
ScottJ likes this.
post #536 of 538 Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post
If you are a do-it-yourself person then here is the setup that works perfect:
Several questions:

1. What's wrong with a managed GbE switch?

2. Where did you find a rack-mount file server case that's quiet?

3. How could you possibly get 150 MB/sec (= 1200 Mb/sec = 1.2 Gb/sec) over GbE?

4. What is your source for the "new Dune model" news? I haven't heard that yet.
post #537 of 538 Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Several questions:
Not exactly quiet or good WAF, but these guys do have a huge selection. And you can always remove fans and/or replace with quieter fans provided your temps stay in range.

www.servercase.com

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #538 of 538 Old 04-11-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Several questions:

1. What's wrong with a managed GbE switch?

3. How could you possibly get 150 MB/sec (= 1200 Mb/sec = 1.2 Gb/sec) over GbE?

4. What is your source for the "new Dune model" news? I haven't heard that yet.
1) When I first went down the road with a Managed Switch I had some stuttering. Just swapping out to a an unmanaged switch stopped the stuttering. *edit add* I think this had to do more with the dune than networking in general. Especially when you do link aggregation then you need a managed switch. To me I didn't see how it should make a difference with one stream, but it did.

2) Newegg. Search SQ for Super Quiet. Fans are plug and play. Pinch and pullout. Then push back in place.

3) Sorry. Made assumptions this is high end. I'm 10G in my home and use a PCIe SSD.

4) NDA

My corsair water cooled gaming rig is louder then my file server. I spent a lot of time researching to not buy another leaf blower.

For the average person sticking with 1G copper with CAT6 Shielded will work in your home. If you are in a remodel then running Fiber is an option or 10G copper using CAT6a or CAT 7. I had the foresight to wire my home during a remodel the fastest it could with current technology.

I merely posted of what is possible- as it is sitting right next to me.

If my case were to be rackmounted... you need a DEEP rack. Eye Balling the depth it is more than 24 inches (closer to 28/30). The good news is it doesn't need to be in your movie theater. It can sit in your projection room, or some other area like a safe room, or any other location in your home providing you don't live in a castle.

Last edited by Jim HTPC; 04-11-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)