Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #511 of 528 Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Yup, I know it is what it is. Guess my only point, to K or any dealers who have probably already passed the same sentiment up to K is that the drive costs make their system a non starter for me. I mean I'm about at the point where I can see the value in a $2k player or a server, but the drive costs are just a showstopper for me.

Well, I don't think I will have the high end equipment that folks have here, but I did invest in a solid theater plan and build. I do agree with you 100% about Kscape and cost. I decided to go the build-a-server-yourself route for a lot less, but would like a decent media player option, especially one that has a drop-and-rip functionality. Kscape does have this, but I have found at least the Vidabox solutions and the ReQuest media player have this functionality too. Not sure if Vidabox requires use of it's own server hardware (looks like it works on WHS) but ReQuest F3 and MiniPlayer Plus do support drop-and-rip functionality without the need to store the disc in a vault and the added expense there. I had posted and inquiry in the media servers forum about ReQuest, but no one had any opinions to offer on the Request lineup. I guess not many people use it.

Anyway, I am in the same position that I can see the value in a $1-$2K player that plays nice with a DIY server, but there still does not seem to be many options that do what K does and does it well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 528 Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dune HD Max with Vidabox got me to 95%, this could get us to 100% http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450642/dune-max-hd-3d-at-ces#post_22808070

3D frame pack plus Source direct
post #513 of 528 Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Scott

Anything further in your quest?
post #514 of 528 Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 110
post #515 of 528 Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Thanks Peter
post #516 of 528 Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Scott

Anything further in your quest?
No, I don't use 3D so the Dune has met my needs. It's not perfect, but it will play about anything I watch and I converted my BRD's to mkv which typically cuts them in half on size (with no reencoding). I use the Mymovies interface which is decent on the dune with my 5x11 covers modification. It's not perfect, but it was way better than the HTPC experience. And it allows flexibility that I can't get with K. So for me, for now, I haven't been looking to change. Occasionally my Tivo will miss a OTA boradcast due to storms, a ball game that ran long, etc, I can go get that off the internet and play it on the Dune without issue. I like it's flexibility a lot.
post #517 of 528 Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
+1

Dune + MyMovies has been work pretty well for me. HTPC is just too problematic.
post #518 of 528 Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Agreed,...
post #520 of 528 Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
No, I don't use 3D so the Dune has met my needs. It's not perfect, but it will play about anything I watch and I converted my BRD's to mkv which typically cuts them in half on size (with no reencoding). I use the Mymovies interface which is decent on the dune with my 5x11 covers modification. It's not perfect, but it was way better than the HTPC experience. And it allows flexibility that I can't get with K. So for me, for now, I haven't been looking to change. Occasionally my Tivo will miss a OTA boradcast due to storms, a ball game that ran long, etc, I can go get that off the internet and play it on the Dune without issue. I like it's flexibility a lot.
Scott (and anyone else interested )

I've been using OpenELEC (lightweight Linux distro of just XBMC/Kodi) and overall I've been quite pleased. It bitstreams audio fine, and can automatically switch between 24 and 60p. The missing link as it were is native resolution switching. But it looks like there's a chance that might make it in finally:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=64139&page=12

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #521 of 528 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Because everything else is just too problematic, personally, I, prefer to use MPC-HC (with madVR and support for HD Audio bitstreaming) for watching movies, and foobar2000 (with support for bit perfect output) for listening to music. I have a silent notebook PC with an i7 4510U and Nvidia 820M, a total of 37TB external harddrive storage space (SAN, not NAS...), an Emotiva UMC-200 via HDMI, and an Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme via USB.
post #522 of 528 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

I appreciate the heads up. Still smells like a HTPC and geekware to wrestle to me. The workarounds on getting audio and video are still kludges as far as I can tell, again requiring tweaking of geekware to get them to behave. I'm a nerd by nature I guess, but I'm weary of wrestling the HTPC. My Dune's aren't perfect, but compared to the high end HTPC I had (to wrestle), they get a 9.5 compared the the PC's 4. It will take some convincing for me. No way do I see running a windows box, or anything that requires using a keyboard for normal HT use.
post #523 of 528 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 246
If you're bored, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX.../dp/B00IT1WJZQ
this:
http://openelec.tv/
and follow this:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox

Yes it's "geeky" to get setup initially (though there are there are other options), but after that it's remarkably smooth sailing. There aren't any workarounds for audio or video passthrough, it runs just like an STB. And there's no Windows, or mouse or keyboard

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #524 of 528 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

I don't mind building the PC. Timing on this subject is interesting because I just finished gutting my old (pretty nice) HTPC to let my son have the motherboard, memory etc. to build his first gaming PC. I'm left with a nice fanless heatpipe cooled case which was pretty expensive when I got it. I liked silent so much I built my personal desktop PC in another case like it with a low power consumption i7 CPU.

Its the rest of it that I'm skeptical.

What about dropped frames? No one was able to fix that reliably, nor perfect syncing with the audio due to audio and video running on different clocks. How is that not an issue now? This was a hardware limitation that neither Intel nor AMD had solved, despite thinking they had in the last generation of CPU's I tried. Following family also failed this IIRC. How is it that a little celeron (you linked above) with no high end GPU can do it now? Or maybe you just don't notice it?

I just went and read the hardware requirements. My old i5 HTPC is perfectly OK per the Wiki. But I know that it is not, as all of that Intel family and all before it had the video clock issues. Sandybridge was my family IIRC. So, I remain very skeptical this is what you want it to be. But that I went to read it shows I had hope. Alas, does not appear to be "it".
post #525 of 528 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
I don't mind building the PC. Timing on this subject is interesting because I just finished gutting my old (pretty nice) HTPC to let my son have the motherboard, memory etc. to build his first gaming PC. I'm left with a nice fanless heatpipe cooled case which was pretty expensive when I got it. I liked silent so much I built my personal desktop PC in another case like it with a low power consumption i7 CPU.

Its the rest of it that I'm skeptical.

What about dropped frames? No one was able to fix that reliably, nor perfect syncing with the audio due to audio and video running on different clocks. How is that not an issue now? This was a hardware limitation that neither Intel nor AMD had solved, despite thinking they had in the last generation of CPU's I tried. Following family also failed this IIRC. How is it that a little celeron (you linked above) with no high end GPU can do it now? Or maybe you just don't notice it?

I just went and read the hardware requirements. My old i5 HTPC is perfectly OK per the Wiki. But I know that it is not, as all of that Intel family and all before it had the video clock issues. Sandybridge was my family IIRC. So, I remain very skeptical this is what you want it to be. But that I went to read it shows I had hope. Alas, does not appear to be "it".
Dropped/duplicated frames at 23.976 Hz vertical refresh rate are not a real issue on Intel Haswell CPUs with Intel HD 4600 Graphics, and you can verify this in madVR by pressing CTRL+J to bring up the debug OSD. That said, even if you use a standalone DVD/Blu-ray player arguably worth its salt (as opposed to an outdated, or pre-Haswell based HTPC) there will still be clock drift, just not as noticeable.
post #526 of 528 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Well, this isn't the thread to get into the technicalities of HTPC building. But most of us 'round here use Oppos of one variant or another. I know of no clock issues. And even if there were, audio and video are running on the same clock, unlike a PC. If you want to take this up in more detail and educate me, I'm happy to participate in a different thread in the HTPC area, just start one and let me know.

Thanks
post #527 of 528 Unread Today, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidio View Post
Dropped/duplicated frames at 23.976 Hz vertical refresh rate are not a real issue on Intel Haswell CPUs with Intel HD 4600 Graphics, and you can verify this in madVR by pressing CTRL+J to bring up the debug OSD. That said, even if you use a standalone DVD/Blu-ray player arguably worth its salt (as opposed to an outdated, or pre-Haswell based HTPC) there will still be clock drift, just not as noticeable.
Not on BD3d on latest powerdvd, it stutters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page