Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Today, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
I am sorry, but I don't really see the point of 2gbps internet speeds. The only thing that really is going to help is cutting down file download speed and if we are reliably that fast, they would probably just stream so one wouldn't need to complete a file download to start watching their video. Max bit rate on BluRay is 36mbit. I am having a hard time seeing the need for more than 30 times as fast a bit rate or even a way to really fill that large of a pipe. It would be like having a 27 lane highway in Winnemucca, Nevada or having a bullet train between Merced and Hanford, CA.
There are many reasons why one would want that speed. For those with 30+ security cameras, plus work security cameras, streaming movies up to 4-5 per house at same time, plus recording TV shows you aren't watching, surfing internet, vpns to work. On top of that if you add IPS, AV, DPI then your bandwidth goes from a theoretical maximum to about 30-50% depending on your firewall appliance. There are all sorts of ways to utilize bandwidth. People store HD backups offsite on storage servers (refuse to use the word Cloud... it's a server/datacenter). There are no Greek Gods of data retention in the sky. People record to local and offsite video footage to prevent removal/deletion of camera footage during robbery. In order to prosecute you need excellent quality which requires bandwidth per camera 24/7. Heaven forbid all this affects Online Multi Player game performance....

Sometimes I need to download an ISO from MSDN for work. My day would have more time for other things than sitting in front of a computer waiting for it to download, instead of quickly downloading to USB stick/HD and then getting on the road. Time is money. Granted, my mom will probably never need that speed, but there are those that would use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement