post #181 of 519 Old 12-25-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

All my BDs are ripped to BDMV folders (movie only), so I can't speak to menus. 1080p plays no problem. (DXVA2 is supported under Win 7. Must be enabled, too.)

BTW, Dharma also supports a central database for video and audio metadata, a real boon if you have more than one system. It simplifies maintenance and you can resume playback in another room. Easy to set up, too.

I use XBMC latest release and it does not truly support BDMV folders. It just pick the playlist (mpls) files which has the longest running time and treat it as the main movie. It is fine for some but not working on BDMV folder which playlist combine main feature and extras together into one mpls file such as Inception.

Bistreaming is possible now with Dsplayer(directshow based). But DSplay is still being developed and not part of the official XBMC release.

HDPLEX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

I use XBMC latest release and it does not truly support BDMV folders. It just pick the playlist (mpls) files which has the longest running time and treat it as the main movie. It is fine for some but not working on BDMV folder which playlist combine main feature and extras together into one mpls file such as Inception.

I did say "movie only," didn't I? There is just one .mpls, one .clpi and one .m2ts.

If I want to watch the rest, I can always play the disc. Funny, I never get the urge. . . .
post #183 of 519 Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM
amt

Liked: 12
I have been playing with both a SageTV HD300 and XBMC with Acer Revo & Ubuntu Linux. Both are not perfect.

Overall the HD300 is better. At first I had a hell of a time getting simple things like a network drive to work, but seemed to work eventually. HD300 also has had what seems like random lock-ups once in a while. Their forums also indicate others had experienced this and may be related to overheating. I have not gone "all-in" on Sage yet and ordered their back-end product, mainly because they do not offer a trial version for Linux (Windows and Mac only). Supposedly there is a much nicer interface when using the HD300 in "extender" mode coupled with a SageTV backend. I hope so, as the stand-alone interface blows.

I have tried a couple versions of XBMC on the Acer Revo with Ubuntu, and by far the biggest problem is HW compatibility. You cannot bitstream the lossless audio tracks, and I don't believe you can decode the lossless tracks either. And what you can decode, often ends up with the wrong channels (Center to surround-left, etc). You are also highly dependent on getting (this being for Linux only probbaly) your X configuration correct. I had an issue where the X driver (Nvidia's proprietary) would always assume I had a fixed resolution display, and would convert all modes to something terrible like 1280x1024. All modes ended up looking like total crap. I wanted to ensure I used my Radiance for scaling, and this was a big problem initially (and could be initially for any scaler in the chain). After many hours of searching the web for answers, I finally found some small details that made a huge difference, like getting GPU scaling turned off (why the hell would a graphics card -automatically- scale it own frambuffer!!!!! Arggg!!!!). Once that was sorted out, I was able to do 1080p properly (although I don't think I ever got 1080i to work) at 59.9x and 23.9x. I was able to get XBMC to switch these frame-rates properly when needed. I did not try 480/60i for DVDs, but I doubt it ouputs the 480/60i.

Regarding the one vendor who had stated source direct simply cannot work reliably: Well, my experience is different with the Oppo. I have never had a problem with it. I have used DVDs (all 60i, to my knowledge there is no true 24p support in DVDs) and BDs in 60i and 24p with no issues. IMO, anyone who states source direct is not possible is just trying to cover the fact that -they- can't do it. EDIT: Let me clarify what I mean by source direct: output the original resolution and frame-rate. IMO, I am not all that concerned about chroma up-sampling. Honestly, who still gets that wrong these days???
post #184 of 519 Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 AM
amt

Just wanted to also state, in case it's not obvious, that displaying the content is only 1/2 the story. Getting the content on a disk is just as much work. There are a couple options out there, and I am using MakeMKV currently. Since none of these players (except maybe Dune?) handle BD menus, I rip only the movie, so that a menu is really not needed. If I want to see the extras, I sometimes rip extras as it's own title, so it's easier to navigate to those. This may seem like a lot of work, but it gets easier as you do more. And anything to remove the forced previews and ads is worth it. Being able to select a movie and have it immediately start is very very nice.
post #185 of 519 Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Just wanted to also state, in case it's not obvious, that displaying the content is only 1/2 the story. Getting the content on a disk is just as much work. There are a couple options out there, and I am using MakeMKV currently. Since none of these players (except maybe Dune?) handle BD menus, I rip only the movie, so that a menu is really not needed. If I want to see the extras, I sometimes rip extras as it's own title, so it's easier to navigate to those. This may seem like a lot of work, but it gets easier as you do more. And anything to remove the forced previews and ads is worth it. Being able to select a movie and have it immediately start is very very nice.
Even the Dunes hang on some bluray .iso's. Avatar for example throws the new Dunes for a loop if ripped as an .iso. Everything else plays fine though. I do wish they would add a source direct so I could be sure it was not doing anything on its end but at least it ouputs 1080p 24 and bitstreams the high res audio codecs.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #186 of 519 Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

Bistreaming is possible now with Dsplayer(directshow based). But DSplay is still being developed and not part of the official XBMC release.

Bitstreaming as an official part of XBMC is under development: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=78289. AudioEngine is intended for the Eden release (mid-2011?).
post #187 of 519 Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
OK, server build in progress. I have a SD300 I'll play with when done, but I'd like to setup a good PC based client to try with MM, too. Can someone suggest a good hardware set for such a client? Preferably small, and quiet. Fanless would be really nice, but not a requirement.
post #188 of 519 Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

OK, server build in progress. I have a SD300 I'll play with when done, but I'd like to setup a good PC based client to try with MM, too. Can someone suggest a good hardware set for such a client? Preferably small, and quiet. Fanless would be really nice, but not a requirement.

Any i3(Clarkdale) based PC will be perfect for a small client PC. The Dell Zino HD is also a good option of we're not talking about high end for your home theater but something for the living room or bedroom.
post #189 of 519 Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
ITs funny for a fraction of the cost
I stream Full BluRay ISO from My Hp Media Server,
Played thru my Popcorn Hour A-200 and my YAMJ Themed Personalized Jukebox.
With No Lag...
BLuRay Menu Loads faster than my BluRay player..
Last total on the seRver space wise was 12 TB....
Running Gigabit equipment thru my network.

Dead air...no comments yet....
post #190 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Any i3(Clarkdale) based PC will be perfect for a small client PC. The Dell Zino HD is also a good option of we're not talking about high end for your home theater but something for the living room or bedroom.

I considered the Zino for a quick solution. But I want the first "test" client to be capable for the HT client. Hopefully AMD's new processor will help address some of my source direct desires later. But for now I'd liek to have avery snappy MM client to test/play with in the HT.

So i3 based, what do I need to use for the video/sound card in the HT enviroment. Again, wanting to keep it quiet. Very quiet. Low power (less heat) good, too.

Thanks Tony, et.al
post #191 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

So i3 based, what do I need to use for the video/sound card in the HT enviroment. Again, wanting to keep it quiet. Very quiet. Low power (less heat) good, too.

Wait a couple weeks.
post #192 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I considered the Zino for a quick solution. But I want the first "test" client to be capable for the HT client. Hopefully AMD's new processor will help address some of my source direct desires later. But for now I'd liek to have avery snappy MM client to test/play with in the HT.

Thanks Tony, et.al

The beauty of the i3 is the audio is also intergrated which will allow you bitream of all codecs including HD codecs like TrueHD and DTAMA. Provided you are using the appropriate motherboard, that said the Intel DH57-JG is the perfect board. ITX footprint, works with the intel i series processors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-401-_-Product

Mikinho has done some extensive testing on this board and is also a big fan.

Next you need a decent case. Since you have a preference for fanless, this can get a little pricey.

A-Tech fabrication makes the best fanless cases I've seen but they're a little pricey in my opinion. Can cost you ~$600 by the time you get the PSU and the CPU heatsync kit. They are very well made though....

http://www.atechfabrication.com/prod...cro-Client.htm

Here's the online order form to give you an idea of options and pricing..

http://www.atechfabrication.com/heat...order_form.htm
post #193 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Wait a couple weeks.

Yep.. you could do that too and get the intel Sandy Bridge line when it's released. Q1 2011 I think. I'm not sure what the advantages are over the Clarkdale though. Some claim they should have the 24hz refresh issue resolved with Sandy Bridge.
post #194 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wait a couple weeks.

Coming from the experts, OK I will . Thank you.
post #195 of 519 Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep.. you could do that to and get the intel Sandy Bridge line when it's released. Q1 2011 I think. I'm not sure what the advantages are over the Clarkdale though. Some claim they should have the 24hz refresh issue resolved with Sandy Bridge.

Just based on what came out at IDF IMO it's worth a week or two to find out. Worst case, current gen parts should be a little cheaper for the wait.
post #196 of 519 Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any i3(Clarkdale) based PC will be perfect for a small client PC.

Wait a minute! Last I heard, the i3 couldn't handle the 23.976 fps frame-rate. If that's still true, it's hardly "perfect."
An AMD HD5000 card, for example, will handle both bitstreamed audio and proper frame-rates. That makes the CPU almost moot.

Quote:

Yep.. you could do that too and get the intel Sandy Bridge line when it's released. Q1 2011 I think. I'm not sure what the advantages are over the Clarkdale though. Some claim they should have the 24hz refresh issue resolved with Sandy Bridge.

Let's hope. However, this shortcoming has been part of Intel's chipsets for so long (since at least G965), one must wonder whether they care at all.
post #197 of 519 Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Wait a minute! Last I heard, the i3 couldn't handle the 23.976 fps frame-rate. If that's still true, it's hardly "perfect."
An AMD HD5000 card, for example, will handle both bitstreamed audio and proper frame-rates. That makes the CPU almost moot.

Yes but as I mentioned, for a living room or bedroom client, it's perfect.
post #198 of 519 Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 AM

You'll want to keep an eye on AMD's new line up as well for pure video quality. From all initial reports it won't be as fast performing as the Sandy Bridge but for a pure HTPC that really isn't needed.

Mikinho

Microsoft WECH MVP | Missing Remote

post #199 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 AM

SHocked with the dead air regarding my above reply
post #200 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post
SHocked with the dead air regarding my above reply
The Popcorn Hour A-200 is a good streamer based on the SMP8643 but doesn't do Source Direct (what the OP is looking for) and the upscaling video quality less something to be desired.

Mikinho

post #201 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post
You'll want to keep an eye on AMD's new line up as well for pure video quality. From all initial reports it won't be as fast performing as the Sandy Bridge but for a pure HTPC that really isn't needed.
Mikinho - Do you have a link with details of the coming AMD's?
post #202 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post
The Popcorn Hour A-200 is a good streamer based on the SMP8643 but doesn't do Source Direct (what the OP is looking for) and the upscaling video quality less something to be desired.
Can you explain what you mean by source direct...
FYI
I have screen shots posted on the 9700 ub thread that are upscaled..
its the recent pics last page all but the hockey done thru that unit.
post #203 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Mikinho - Do you have a link with details of the coming AMD's?

Its an article babgvant sent me actually: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...he-details.ars

Mikinho

post #204 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post
Can you explain what you mean by source direct...
Source direct for video is when the device automatically changes to the native format of the source content.

i.e.

Source -> Output
480i -> 480i
480p -> 480p
720p -> 720p
1080i -> 1080i
post #205 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Source direct for video is when the device automatically changes to the native format of the source content.

i.e.

Source -> Output
480i -> 480i
480p -> 480p
720p -> 720p
1080i -> 1080i
COrrect it doesnt thru hdmi.
Most people put it at 1080p and upconvert non 1080p media...
But with regards to Streaming or playing BluRay Iso 1080p there is no Lag
if your running a gigabit network
post #206 of 519 Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just based on what came out at IDF IMO it's worth a week or two to find out. Worst case, current gen parts should be a little cheaper for the wait.

Our Sandy Bridge (i5-2500K) review just went live. Let me know if you have any questions.
post #207 of 519 Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Our Sandy Bridge (i5-2500K) review just went live. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good option for those starting new but may not be worth upgrading from the Clarkdale really.
post #208 of 519 Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What is the story then with 1080p 23.976?

Are any of these doing it right or not?

I don'r want 1080p 24 it messes with my 3d glasses....
post #209 of 519 Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

What is the story then with 1080p 23.976?

Are any of these doing it right or not?

I don'r want 1080p 24 it messes with my 3d glasses....

Some video cards are doing it right (NVIDIA for example). Doesn't look like the Sandy Bridge is handling it right though. I was hoping this would be a viable upgrade from the Clarkdale.
post #210 of 519 Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
amt

nVidia chipsets handle 23.976. The Nvidia ION platforms handle 1080p fine as long as the video player uses the hardware acceleration in the graphics chipset. XBMC software package will do that. I can't believe Intel got the 24fps thing wrong. Sounds like they did not have any real home theater experience, just checked specs of a list and really did not investigate fully.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page