Media Servers worthy of high end - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 519 Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So as not to be beat up for posting in the wrong forum , it's for my inbound DPI 3-chipper .... And, I think my friends here overall have a better eye for finding the best solutions. This is one of those sub 20k things (K aside), that could enhance the >20k PJ, done right. So:

Besides Kalidescape (which doesn't do what I want overall due to their BR issues), do any of you have a Media Server you are happy with? Or perhaps better said, whats the lesser of evils right now?

I looked at several at CEDIA and was wholly unimpressed with them from any technical POV. Not one I can find will do "source direct". While it's rare that I watch SD-DVD's, when I do it's via a SDI stream off a modded Denon, upscaled by Lumagen. I am confident that most of us here have either a VP or a Projector (e.g. Sim2) that has video processing superior to any Media server local box. But alas, all of them I can find have static resolution outputs. Not to mention questions about what they will or will not pass in the way of interlaced/progressive, YCbCr->RGB conversions, etc.

My kids still watch a lot of our DVD collection and I suppose I could live with SD upscaling by a media server since it's low importance material normally, but I want a media server that is flawless on BR handling. No framerate conversions, no inderlacing, deinterlacing, no colorspace conversions, etc. Just give my Lumagen the video boys.

Several of them will read/play ripped BR material now, legalities aside, that's a good thing if you don't mind setting up the server to hold them (I don't mind).

I'd sure like to find a media server, mainly for movies but other media would be a plus, that had a decent GUI but still acted as a good transport leaving the video stream alone.

Have any of you found anything you liked? I have a training/demo scheduled with Moz. next week, but I read Peter's experience with Axoinic(sp?) wasn't any fun and they may be related. Not to say they didn't clean up their problems with the new product. It seems overpriced and with no much more over a home built Media PC so far, but I've not had the full dog and pony show yet, so that's an uneducated impression.

So far everything I've seen (Vidabox, Moz., etc.) seem to be Windows Media Servers with spiffy cases. I never cared much for HTPC's per se, but I'd sure like to have the convenience of a Media server for the kids (and me).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 519 Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the Axionix and can tell you to stay as far away as you can, the system never worked properly, had an interface from 1980 and CS was non existent (if you take anything from this, take that). I cut my loses and bought a Vidabox system. A Rack24 Server (with 44tb) and their 3 rack players and 6 Slim players. I can tell that the system works flawlessly and the customer service could not be better. The system rips both BD and DVD with ease and playback is perfect. You will get full bitstream HD audio from the rack players and only lossy from the Slim players. Windows Media works very good for my family and I, but that is just preference. The setup is as easy as plugging in, connecting the HDMI and Ethernet and the system integrated easily with my Control 4 system. Hope this was helpful.
post #3 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm asking the same questions and this seems to be the way to go, at least for me at the moment. It's supposed to do 1080 24p. You can build system storage around it and it does HD audio codec's too.

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/curren...-smart-d1.html

http://dune-hd.com/uploads/manuals/D...tart_guide.pdf

http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=12
post #4 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Scott,

I use My Movies 3.17. Outside of kaleidescape, this is a fantastic way to manage your collection. I have a client setup on all my TV's and my theater. My wife and I use it daily. There are plenty of consumer PC's out there that support this system.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283823

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #5 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thanks, it it good to know the Vidabox works well anyway. I set up an account with them at CEDIA but am holding off buying anything for me or anyone until I can determine the pros and cons of them.

I'm also looking at the Dune but it does feel a little "Geeky", not "out of the box easy". I'm perfectly OK with that if it works well in the end, but I'm not happy about it's forced video processing. As far as I can tell so far, you set the output resolution (e.g. 1080p) and it will upconvert and deinterlace no matter the source. It's supposed to pass frame rates unmolested, but if it can't pass resolutions, I don't trust it for no frame rate mumging frankly. Not the end of the world but I'd much rather have my Lumagen handle that activity. Vidabox does the same AFAIK.
post #6 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Tony: Crossed posts. Thanks. I'll read that thread. I had started learnign about MyMovies becasue a lot of the Dune guys appear to be using it. I'm fine with it for the GUI, looks fine to me. Actually, I'm pretty sure Vidabox uses it. It's the video output hardware on all of these that's giving me heartburn .
post #7 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Vidabox is My Movies based for sure. I spend little time with it but did you see Fusion Research setup? Looked pretty good to me...

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #8 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Scott,
I implemented the Crestron ADMS in my system and highly recommend it .
In January they are launching a new version which will be lower in cost than the current version and will be able to use the 400 disc Sony Blu ray changer which is relatively inexpensive.
The best part is that you can put your media including Blu Rays on a NAS and oull them off the ADMS...
As this system evolves I can picture just one component in my equipment rack...to play media.
Ash
post #9 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 AM

The one other note on Vidabox that I did not mention which sounds of importance to you, with a family like me. Is the ability to stream multiple bluray movies simultaneously. In my own experience I tested and was able to stream separate Bluray movies to all 9 of my players while at the same time ripping 3 bluray's to the server, the system did not even break a sweat and worked perfect. My friend has Dune and with my previous experience with Axionix neither of these could stream more than two before the video began to stutter or crash. Also Vidabox does use My Movies as it's collection management software.
post #10 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Besides Kalidescape (which doesn't do what I want overall due to their BR issues)...

And those BR issues are??

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #11 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Not being able to use an existing NAS with ripped BRD's. Images, movie with menus, movie only, etc. Locked to both their storage, and to having to use the "vault". Anyway, I'm not sure it does Source Direct either. I didn't pursue finding out becasue I'd rather not use their storage, or vault.
post #12 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Tony: I did speak the the Fusion research guys. Same sticking point, upscale/converts video only.

Ash: I'll look at the Crestron too. I wasn't aware they did anything with media servers, but I admit I usually skip over their stuff at CEDIA.
post #13 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post

And those BR issues are??

Having to have a VAULT/changer on line for physical content posession verification. Or as I call it pre-empting the habeas corpus.

See the upper two black vaults (solution from x-mas to q3 2011) or the third unit down that holds 300 (commencing on q3 2011).The black vaults are married to the K Players so you will need one for every 100 discs.

I have tried the changer, the Sony 200 disc chewed up and swallowed 4 Blu-rays which made me open up and destroy the changer at a total loss. You do not want to rely on continuous usage changers, Kaleidescape changers are only used for verification so there is minimum mechanical wear. I tried the dune player with My movies and it was a PITA besides, getting the movies to rip without commercials and managing artwork is NOT WORTH THE AGGRAVATION unless you are on a shoestring budget, also the dune SIGMA chip sometimes strips the rec 709 header record ( I did some experimenting on this to try auto compensate with a scaler etc etc.)

If you want to see the movie correctly without adverts and find the movie metadata easily THE KALEIDESCAPE is the way to go.Why would you want to bring such expensive aggravation upon yourself otherwise?

You can even play the songs on a movie that has music, or find the title song tracks on concert videos, it is an amazing product.
post #14 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

A small detail is my modest Rack is in my room, so I'd prefer the thing be quiet, or relocatable to my (IT) equipment room where the storage box would "live". The little Dune's look good for that casue, most of the others just appear to be optimized HTPC's. But that's not a dealbreaker (unless it was really loud). I liked the built in display on the Vidabox (maybe some others have it too. With a VGA switch I could have a "monitor" on my rack so if I wanted to do something on my system I could without having to tun the PJ on.
post #15 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

I know the K is spiffy. I understand the reasons behind them, but I hate those vaults. I don't (think) I mind fiddling with some of the more open systems. Don't want a changer for sure, I'd never be able to stand the wait.
post #16 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I Don't want a changer for sure, I'd never be able to stand the wait.

I tried the BD vault setup at cedia. There isn't any waiting. It just reads the disc id in the vault. BD playback is instant.

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #17 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Tony, I know the vault is quick. It isnt' really a disc server, it's literally a device to where the discs are like keys. Content plays from storage, not the disc. Disc only proves you are allowed to play. By "Changer" I meant I wouldn't want to wait on one of the multi-disc players like the Sony. I went through a few BRD players becasue I couldn't stand the long startup delay of those (Samsungs). Had to bite the bullet and get a PS3 as an interm solution until OPPO finally came out with their very good player. Which I'm perfectly happy with for a standalone single disc solution. But now, due to the PS3 and kids, I'm stuck with Guitar Hero and how to deal with it. That's a story for a different thread

I want a Media player that plays from storage. K without the vault. It's gonna have to take my word for it I have the Disc. If it can do music, too, all the better.
post #18 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want one that plays from storage. But it's gonna have to take my word for it I have the Disc.

I agree.. although it was quick it was not a solution for me either. So far, My Movies has been the best solution for me. I have ~600 titles (about 200 bd titles) and the rest DVD. Instant access from every tv in my house including the theater. We'll chat...

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #19 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems like an area that's going to evolve quickly. That's why I keep looking at the Dune, especially the new Smart series thats just started to ship. Looks like it does a lot for the money and not so expensive that you couldn't replace it next year if something better comes along. Building NAS around it would keep options open for later too. I agree it maybe a little geeky; clearly not a turn key system. But maybe that's not all bad considering there will be the inevitable crash of the system at some point on all of them.
post #20 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a dune base 3 that I am not using.
post #21 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

It seems like an area that's going to evolve quickly. That's why I keep looking at the Dune, especially the new Smart series thats just started to ship. Looks like it does a lot for the money and not so expensive that you couldn't replace it next year if something better comes along. Building NAS around it would keep options open for later too. I agree it maybe a little geeky; clearly not a turn key system. But maybe that's not all bad considering there will be the inevitable crash of the system at some point on all of them.

Yes, I agree with your points. And I'm happy to learn (and teach) the details. Happy to setup a My Movies server for it. But I want it to do Source Direct. It's #3 on their feature request list (by votes), maybe that will prod them to fixing that feature. My concern is it isn't physically possible with their Sigma hardware.
post #22 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... My concern is it isn't physically possible with their Sigma hardware.

Yea, understood. I did read somewhere, that there will be an up grade path with a new Sigma board latter next year but I don't know what enhancements that might bring. It is nice that they support the feature request list. At least it shows they're open and listening.

Edit: BTW which projector did you settle on?
post #23 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I have a dune base 3 that I am not using.

Maybe I should try it out with than DNP I asked about .
post #24 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That can be arranged the problem is the big wood coffin.
post #25 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

post #26 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Dune Smart series up grade to the Sigma 8646 information:

Thanks. I had already went to read about the newer chips. No sign of the ability to bypass their video processing, which they apear to be quite proud of:

Motion adaptive deinterlacing
Deblocking and deringing filters
Individual brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, and colorimetry correction controls for each video source and output port
12-bit xvYCC processing
etc.

But I can keep my fingers crossed.
post #27 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

That can be arranged the problem is the big wood coffin.

Cathy would be tickled if I sent her to FL to get it I think . Any excuse to got to FL is good with her. We drove down to the keys to take the kids diving a few months ago, we should have stopped to say hi then.
post #28 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does any product actually rip a BR disc?

Fusion pushes you to AnyDVD so they are not in court at the end of the day.

Fusion is only 5.1 as I recall. Could be wrong.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #29 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM

I built my own media server just a few days ago with 9TB , using anydvd and My Movies to rip my blurays.cost alot less than any vendor supplied media server with the amount same disk space. I was disappointed in K Bluray and I didn't like what I herd from vidabox about using their harddrives so I built my own ....
LL
post #30 of 519 Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Does any product actually rip a BR disc?

Fusion pushes you to AnyDVD so they are not in court at the end of the day.

Fusion is only 5.1 as I recall. Could be wrong.

AnyDVD-HD rips bluray no problem. ISO or BD native structure

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page