Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Posted 11-22-2010 by Alan Gouger of AVS:

"AVS welcomes "Mark Haflich" aboard.
We are glad to have Mark on board for sales and service. You can contact Mark for all your sales needs via PM or direct through our office at 585 671 2972. Thanks everyone.

For the curious here is a little back ground to familiarize yourself with Mark.

Mark graduated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a B.S. in Environmental Engineering in 1967 and a J.D. from the Boston University School of Law in 1971. Mark was a Lecturer in Engineering at the Boston University School of Engineering while attending law school. Mark retired from the law in 2001 to devote full time to his audio video business.

Mark has been married for 27 years and lives with his wife and a 110 lb Greater Swiss Mountain Dog in suburban Maryland horse country in a large contemporary house on a lake. Many have attended meets there and many in the business have over nighted there when on business in the DC area.

Mark became interested in audio and video after graduating law school and became fascinated with video projectors starting with 3 CRT 7 inch tubes Zeniths and started installing them in home theaters in the early 80s. While he was a lawyer Mark consulted for a variety of audio and video manufacturers and he was also the attorney from a number of well known luminaries in the audio field.

He knows most everyone associated with the field of high end audio and video. He has a great deal of experience in most consumer audio and home theater products having sold many of AVS's brands such as Denon, Parasound, Onkyo, Marantz, Oppo, Lexicon, Sunfire, JVC, Panasonic, Sony, DVDO, Lumagen, Stewart, Da-lite, Draper, Vutec, Chief, Cineslide, Panamorph, Isco, Lutron, Niles, Elan, Speakercraft, Harmony, Universal Remote Control, Phillips, RTI, APC, Panamax, Monster, Richard Gray, Polk, Sim2, Optoma, Epson, Runco and a whole variety brands that we don`t presently sell, particularly with respect to high end speakers and electronics.

Mark is ISF certified and extremely knowledgeable about audio and video optimization both from working with a client's specific budgetary and set up limitations. Mark is a regular attendee at trade shows such as Cedia, training seminars, AVS meets, and has visited AV factories around the country and the world. This is extremely beneficial because Mark is the type when asked a question or faced with a problem he can`t immediately answer or solve, to say, I don`t know and get through to the right people around the country and the world who can help, most who know him on a first name basis. Mark has a twelve seat black pit acoustically treated home theater which is regularly used by manufacturers for training glasses and which is available to AVS to demonstrate hard to find products such as the Vango. He is definitely an oldie but a goody and he is not only a valuable resource addition to our sales team but one who can be of great assistance to you, our customers."

Congrats to AVS, for pulling off a major coupe in having Mark Haflich onboard for sales and service; and Congrats to Mark for getting on board the "AVS Express"!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mark has even more history.

He retired as a government attorney some years ago. He worked at the Commerce Dept, General Counsel for many years:

http://www.comsci.gov/alumni_1980.html

I think Mark even had an office in the White House during the seventies???

I met Mark at the very, very first AVS CES Party in early January 2000 that was held at the Las Vegas Hilton buffet - an informal gathering with about $12,000 in door prizes and Mark attending. The last ticket out of the hat was for the grand prize - a Stewart screen. I called the name "Mark Haflich". So Mark introduces himself and tells me that he's an attorney and an AV dealer, that he is a Stewart dealer, and he asks me if he's eligible for the grand prize. I simply told him as we were both attorneys that we had no disqualification rules so he won it!!! Mark and I have been friends ever since. And I'll see him in a few weeks when he and his wife come to Az as his daughter graduates with her Masters from Arizona State University. Congrats on that, too!

Funny. Just a few weeks ago when Mark and I last talked, I mentioned to him that this retail store AV business thing is a thing of the past, hard to make $$ at it anymore, wouldn't he be better off working for someone else and drawing salary and commission?

I guess it was either Sound By Singer, now on the web only, or - AV Science. I think both AVS and Mark made a wise choice!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
'training glasses', one just knows that must be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Jee Steve..........make Mark sound like an antiquity!

Well, I guess I can't ask Mark and receive the same deal as you on those Aerial 9's I covet?

Congrats to Mark.........semi retirement has its benefits......
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

'training classes', one just knows that must be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

What a difference a "c" instead of a "g" means!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't Matt Damon [can't recall the character name] in the Good Shepard [fictional beginning of the CIA and great movie imho] say he worked for the Dept of Commerce?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Thanks. Actually Steve called my ticket number, not my name. He didn`t know it. The tickets were those old time roll tickets with a long digit number at the end. My number ended in 92. During the drawing of the many many prizes before the screen every 90 number except 92 was called. So for the grand prize, Steve not knowing 92 was the only live 90 left, called 9 and then paused setting up for a climax. Of course needing to establish a proper relationship with Steve, I immediately stood up and said I won. Steve said I couldn`t know I won because there was one more digit coming to call. I said fine. He then called 2. I took out my glasses, put them on, looked at my ticket and said Damn my ticket says 2. What a surprise. Now Steve said how did I know he was going to call 2. I said easy, I saw it in his face. He didn`t look happy. I then told him I was keeping mental track of the numbers and 92 was the only live 90 left.

Now it got a little messy. He asked me if I was happy with what I one. I told him I was paying that good attention and had no idea what the grand prize was. It was so noisy in there and so crowded all I ever heard were the numbers not the prizes. So now he asked me what I thought I won?

I had no idea but being an optimist I guessed a Porsche. He said no, guess again, so I guessed a$45000 Vidikron 3 Nine Inch CRT FP. He said no. I said tell me I wasn`t very good at guessing.

He said a Stewart Luxus Deluxe filmscreen of my choice up to 123 inch D and pointed out Don Stewart who would present it to me. Steve asked wouldn`t that look great in my home theater. I said I already had a 4 way masking Stewart screen in my home theater and that I was a Stewart dealer.
Don said he knew I was. Steve`s story tracks from there.

I have a nice pair of Aerial 9 demos you can have for a great price. PM if interested.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Thanks. Actually Steve called my ticket number, not my name. He didn`t know it. The tickets were those old time roll tickets with a long digit number at the end. My number ended in 92. During the drawing of the many many prizes before the screen every 90 number except 92 was called. So for the grand prize, Steve not knowing 92 was the only live 90 left, called 9 and then paused setting up for a climax. Of course needing to establish a proper relationship with Steve, I immediately stood up and said I won. Steve said I couldn`t know I won because there was one more digit coming to call. I said fine. He then called 2. I took out my glasses, put them on, looked at my ticket and said Damn my ticket says 2. What a surprise. Now Steve said how did I know he was going to call 2. I said easy, I saw it in his face. He didn`t look happy. I then told him I was keeping mental track of the numbers and 92 was the only live 90 left.

Now it got a little messy. He asked me if I was happy with what I one. I told him I was paying that good attention and had no idea what the grand prize was. It was so noisy in there and so crowded all I ever heard were the numbers not the prizes. So now he asked me what I thought I won?

I had no idea but being an optimist I guessed a Porsche. He said no, guess again, so I guessed a$45000 Vidikron 3 Nine Inch CRT FP. He said no. I said tell me I wasn`t very good at guessing.

He said a Stewart Luxus Deluxe filmscreen of my choice up to 123 inch D and pointed out Don Stewart who would present it to me. Steve asked wouldn`t that look great in my home theater. I said I already had a 4 way masking Stewart screen in my home theater and that I was a Stewart dealer.
Don said he knew I was. Steve`s story tracks from there.

I have a nice pair of Aerial 9 demos you can have for a great price. PM if interested.

Marks memory is actually much better than mine. But after all, he did win the grand prize! And also my everlasting friendship!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mark, does this mean that your sparring with the masses has to cease? If so it will be sorely missed.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Of course. Alan said he would fire me if I didn`t keep you guys honest. I always maintain either an empty or open mind and I have much to learn in this forum and from other forums.

We continue to welcome dealers through out the forums but I think there is a growing intolerance for dealer posts trolling for business for whatever they are selling, telling how much they are selling, how much their customers like it,.how great they are, and blindly endorsing the products they sell. This is particularly offensive with respect to brands AVS sells.

Constructive dealer posts offering expertise, product status, substance, and help are indeed always welcome and these posts automatically will attract customers. These views are my own and I have not cleared them with management.

My sales technique is not let me show you this, its great, buy it. I think a good win win salesman will recognize the pros and cons of any product and if he honestly believes it presents a good solution for the customer and a good value (after thoroughly listening to the customers needs, wants, and budget) strongly recommend it. Part of the job is educating the customer so that later on the customer doesn`t say why did the bozo sell me that? Why didn't he warn me that it was weak somewhere that now makes it so I can`t stand it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Posted 11-22-2010 by Alan Gouger of AVS:

"AVS welcomes "Mark Haflich" aboard.

Mark has been married for 27 years and lives with his wife and a 110 lb Greater Swiss Mountain Dog in suburban Maryland horse country in a large contemporary house on a lake.

You're a fellow Swissy owner. Great dogs, I have two.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My girl is actually 115 lbs now and is 6 years old. Where are you located?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My girl is actually 115 lbs now and is 6 years old. Where are you located?

Just outside of Harrisburg, PA.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

Just outside of Harrisburg, PA.

I bought mine from a breeder located in PA, Mark recomended her
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 466
pictures please? (of the dogs)

Congratulations Mark

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

The four legged, stick fetching, barking kind...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Here ya go
LL
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Mark, does this mean that your sparring with the masses has to cease? If so it will be sorely missed.

I guess the mud wrestling contest I was trying to setup, to be on YouTube, between Mark and VGI now is a NO GO! Darn it!@

Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Congratulations Mark

The one with the stuffed toy is a rescue, we call him Danny, he's 6. The 'face' is Cleo, she's now 8, but is now camera shy, this is an older picture. The one sitting on the porch was our first Swissy. He was 20 weeks old at the time.
LL
LL
LL
Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Congrats Mark see you at Cedia next year
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Congrats Mark !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Theta threads go to the dogs and eventually are closed by the Moderator.

This thread goes to the dogs and will stay open forever.

Go figure!

I am waiting for VGI to come on this thread and welcome Mark!!@@@

Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Theta threads go to the dogs and eventually are closed by the Moderator.

This thread goes to the dogs and will stay open forever.

Go figure!

I am waiting for VGI to come on this thread and welcome Mark!!@@@

Ay Chihuahua
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

He retired as a government attorney some years ago.

Scary, so if you don't buy from him, he'll sue you?

Great news Mark, congrats!

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Congratulations, Mark! Did they give you a ring to wear?

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lon`s dog picture is in his home theater, see the scren in the background?

Ring to wear?

BTW. I am not a moderator and play here by Mr. Rubin`s rules, but I do have one get out of jail card for an infraction point that Alan gave me. I told him either that or he would have to pay me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
"Come in here dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far ..."
Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lon`s dog picture is in his home theater, see the scren in the background?

Ring to wear?

BTW. I am not a moderator and play here by Mr. Rubin`s rules, but I do have one get out of jail card for an infraction point that Alan gave me. I told him either that or he would have to pay me.

Mark, you get a Ring only if you are a Green Lantern.

When I moderated at AVS years ago Alan gave me several "Get Out of the Doghouse" cards! My wife still gives me those cards!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Kudos Mark! 'zup?

mark

Top Home Theater's I hope to see: The Bland's
Art's and my buddy Steve Bruzonsky! And Oneobgyn if I ever make it to NorCal!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fortunately for us here at AVS, Mark I heard turned down this other very interesting job offer:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/9e67021759/date-lawyer-from-dkoncomedy.