SMX 2.0 Aspect 4-Way Masking Screen Installed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wanted to make a quick post saying what a FANTASTIC job Ruben and the SMX guys did with my screen install.

My original screen in my theater was a 14' Wide Scope Fixed Screen. Like all projects, when I originally started my theater I wanted a masking screen. But by the end of the project I was triple my original budget and some things had to be sacrificed. The screen was the easiest place to cut since it was one of the last things to be installed and I could easily upgrade it later.

After waiting almost exactly 2 years I was ready to make the change. Fortunately, I waited beacuse my desires for what shape and size of screen I wanted did too. I originally wanted to install a 2-way masking scope screen so I could mask down for 1.78 and 1.33.

Since that time some nice little additions came along, 2 big ones. 3D and DPs ILM. With ILM I could now adjust my lens to allow me to have the best possible size for every format. This is the reason I chose a 2.0 aspect ratio. After living with my scope screen for 2 years, i fould that I watched nearly all 16:9 content streched because I did not want to have such a smaller 16:9 image.

With the 2.0 aspect ratio the overall image area is 14' wide by 7' high. Nor only did this almost completely use up all the front wall space but it allows me the choice of either a 14' Wide Scope image or a 12' Wide 16:9 image. and what a huge difference the 16:9 image is!! Especially with 3D.

In a matter of about 3 weeks me and Ruben had worked out all the details of the screen right down to planning how to get it into the room and install it will basically less than 1" of space on either side. The only thing I wanted to make sure of was that the screen was installed prior to Thanksgiving. Ruben, knowing what a tight schedule they were already under with other screens promised it would be done in time.

Ruben insisted that he send a crew up to help with the installation! I was glad he did. Especially when I saw all of the parts. It reminded me of what my parents must have been thinking on Christmas eve when I was little and the would sit down to put together a bicycle or some other toy with a million pieces and limited time!

Well Ruben's guys left south florida and headed up to the panhandle at 430am Wednesday morning. (Thanksgiving eve) They arrived at about 430pm my time and the install began. No minor undertaking, especially working with no extra space to move around the screen and it weighing almost 500lbs. Well thru lots of creative planning and a little onsite ingenuity the scren was hanging and functioning at 1:00am. (Thanksgiving morning) Then his installers cleaned up, and headed straight back to south Florida. Leaving me with an absoluetly perfect installation.

I used their new 4K material which has a slight negative gain but gives an absolutely solid looking image. I can not see a perferation when im just over 3 feet from the screen.

Anyone considering a screen upgrade at all should really look hard at SMX. Thruout the entire project there was never one time when I could not reach Ruben. And he follows thru completely when he says he will do something. I doubt my theater screen will ever change again, atleast no time in the near future. But if I ever did Im sure it would be an SMX screen!!

Thanks again Ruben and SMX Screens for all of your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Pix!

Curious, Why not a 1.78 2-way shape so as to maximize 1.78 flix? Then you'd only need 2 vertical masks. Or do you watch old films with aspects greater than 2.35?

Sounds like a fantastic install!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All pics are up on my theater build thread!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19565072

The reason for the 4Way masking instead of 2 way was to make it where neither the Scope material nor the 16:9 material felt smaller than the other. Both now are equally impressive in size. Scope 170" x 71" and 16:9 144" x 81"
post #4 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Congratulations Chris, I know you are gonna love it. There is nothing like CIA setups. Looking at your sizes your scope is 2" wider than my 2.35 and your 1.78 is exactly the same.

So I am assuming your ILS memory is set up as 1.78 for 12' wide screen with A lens removed, and a scope memory with A lens in place for 2.35-2.50?
post #5 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Two more inches would have been impossible in Lon's room. But I think maybe one more inch.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Cool,

What speakers are you using?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #7 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Congratulations Chris, I know you are gonna love it. There is nothing like CIA setups. Looking at your sizes your scope is 2" wider than my 2.35 and your 1.78 is exactly the same.

So I am assuming your ILS memory is set up as 1.78 for 12' wide screen with A lens removed, and a scope memory with A lens in place for 2.35-2.50?

Lon, right now im still using my anamorphic lens for scope material. Its actually 2.37. My measurements may be off a little one way or the other!

I love the bigger 16:9 content. I got so use to watching everything stretched its nice to have things back in the correct aspect ratio
post #8 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Cool,

What speakers are you using?

RBH Signature T-2P speakers for left and right and T-1 Center
post #9 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought so. I had RBH a few years ago. Nice product for the price and excellent sound quality for HT imho.

I had T2's [L/R], T1 [center] and 2 x 2010's [subs] with Klipsch inwalls.

Screen install is fantastic. Ruben and SMX are top shelf for sure.

How did you take pics?

Mike Miles

post #10 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I thought so. I had RBH a few years ago. Nice product for the price and excellent sound quality for HT imho.

I had T2's [L/R], T1 [center] and 2 x 2010's [subs] with Klipsch inwalls.

Screen install is fantastic. Ruben and SMX are top shelf for sure.

How did you take pics?

mmiles,

Thats exactly my setup except my surrounds are also RBH.

Not sure what you mean about the pics? I just took them with my digital camera. I use to have a DSLR but i broke it, so these pics arnt as good cause im just using a regular ol digital camera!
post #11 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The pictures are stretched horizontally flat. We want more pictures with more aspect ratios and the sconces dimmed a bit. Please
post #12 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

When I take a pic with Nikon Cool Pix 8mp it looks like a turd.

Do I need a tripod, shutter, flash, lens change. I don't speak camera...

Peter how do you take pics? In fact some of the best pics are from Ruben at SMX on his theater. How did he take them pics? Ruben, oh Ruben???

Mike Miles

post #13 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

he uses a tripod and then the 15 sec timer.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
tripod, and if your camera has the ability to set "aperture priority" set it to like f22 or something ridiculous. then the camera will require a very long shutter time to allow enough light to take the pic. at the same time, higher fstop equates to less light getting in... but an image with far more contrast and range. for a comparison... Ansel adams got his incredible depth and range by shooting at f64. (or therabouts... yes i am sure it may have been different for different shots...)

BTW, this is one of the big things with projection lenses. most projectors for years have had very low fstops so that they could get all the light possible to screen. hence images that were great... but had room to go. if you take same display and put a lens that is maybe f4 or f6 or something like that... it will be dimmer... but have noticeably more punch. as well it will have a greater depth of field (focus) so if a screen is curved, it needs a higher fstop lens. Barco does lots of simulator work, so they have gravitated to (on projectors that may be used in simulators) to higher fstop lenses. as well, with how much light they all have today, that sacrifice can be made.

when taking shots, you have to realize that you are competing with a dark room and a (comparatively) screaming bright image. so one will over or under expose the other. so you either have to really know what you are doing and go all manual, or just play with moving the aiming spot (where the camera does its metering) to the edge of the screen and trying options from there. this is of course if you are looking to get the room AND screen shot. just screen shot... point at screen.

ok... realized i went far too deep into lenses. i will shut up now.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #15 of 20 Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Most nice room + screenshot photos are taken as 2 images on a tripod (a room shot with lights on, then just screen with lights off) then photochopped together.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A little perspective in size.

And yes.. she is ORANGE.. it not a calibration problem.... a little to much spray tan!

post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

A little perspective in size.

And yes.. she is ORANGE.. it not a calibration problem.... a little to much spray tan!

Very nice!

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
dude... you suck! and i mean that in the nicest possible way.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying it.

Also I got my reald glasses and just started messing with them. There is no comparison between the ce4 and the x101. With the x101 the image never looked very clear and there was always some ghosting. The ce4 are crystal clear and there is absolutely ZERO ghosting.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All you need is a stepped down Barco dp2k-20c and your''ll complete our CEDIA setup.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page