post #91 of 232 Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Their server has a camera system like the Xbox Kinect. If it detects more than five people watching the movie, it will downres it to 480p and force you to wait 3 months to watch it. So your scheme would not work.

Is that all? I though it would download that title into a blacklist never to play on any of your equipment ever again - for life!

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 232 Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to further complete the picture, the estimated file size for a typical 2 hour movie in 2D is estimated to be 40-60 GB, with double that for 3D. This is with H.264 codec.

The big questions are which studios will be aboard and how much revenue Prima Cinema needs to survive and is that attainable. There is a market for both early availability and higher quality and it could be larger than most people think. However, market development could be slow, requiring many demonstrations and word of mouth. Will they have enough financing if it takes five years to reach critical mass? The risk for early customers is the cost of the hardware, since the only minimum movie purchase requirement seems to be ten movies total (not annual). If Prima Cinema is seccessful, the cost of the hardware should not be a major issue.
post #93 of 232 Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

This is how DCI is delivered over satellite and there's no technical why is couldn't be delivered over the internet. There is however a financial reason as it's a one way to many transmission so using dedicated high speed internet for such a service is cost prohibitive.

Is anyone currently delivering DCI routinely by satellite? Also, how about alternative content like Opera? Is that already done by satellite? Prima Cinema is probably thinking of alternative content also.
post #94 of 232 Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey View Post

Is anyone currently delivering DCI routinely by satellite? Also, how about alternative content like Opera? Is that already done by satellite? Prima Cinema is probably thinking of alternative content also.

Both Deluxe and Technicolor.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #95 of 232 Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, market development could be slow, requiring many demonstrations and word of mouth. Will they have enough financing if it takes five years to reach critical mass?

I agree with Glimmie that there is no viable market or critical mass to reach for this. Hi-end niche market won't be able to sustain this business model in the foreseeable future and mass market already got Apple, Netflix, etc,.

On the other hand, if this thing were able to fly, K system has a lot more reason to succeed than Prime Cinema.

K has sold more than 4k systems, has a closed secured box, already use HDD or network to beam some niche content to the customer, has great metadata service and UI. K could release a dedicated player for day&date material.
If studios pull the plug, you only lose the investment for the player.

Last, I believe when the network infrastructure takes a quantum leap, average FPD size reach 80", and studios finally find a DRM they are comfortable with, day&date will come regardless of studio/cinema owner politics.

HDPLEX
post #96 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yup, Mark has been distributing his MET showings in the clear using regular MPEG2 for many years now, both in the US aswell as internationally. In the US primarily shown on a pre-show network/system. Overhere they use Barco DP-100s, and in Scandinavia it is a mix of DCi set-ups and lower grade systems in community houses.

As his various SPMTE presentations point out Opera is generally the first to use new (broadcast) technology, like subscription cable, or motion pictures with matching sound way back in the nineteenth century.

In the old days there was this French service that distributed Opera and Dance and other (high-)culture performances in HD-MAC. Once a month to periferal locations. Production values (budget) was reportedly low, but it was HD, they since moved to MPEG SD, not sure if it still exist.
post #97 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Surely whoever the investors are in Prima have done the calculus and have determined how many financially well off people are likely to buy a $35K server and periodically pay $500 to see a first-run movie in the comfort of their own home. Of course, the target audience would be narrowed somewhat to those who have no aversion to risking substantial sums of capital on a venture that has a 50/50 chance of success/failure. Most of the uber rich I have encountered, however, strike me as being rather prudent with their money...drug lords perhaps being the exception.
post #98 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

How is Prima plan on getting the content to individual..? DVB-S2 8psk with MPEG-4 via Ku would work to get a high band width, and also have encryption.

High Speed internet would work if they Prima could deliver on their end. On their website it seems that would be the way they are going to deliver with job openings posted.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #99 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
High Speed internet pre-loaded
post #100 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought that "streaming" and "downloading" we're two different things:

Streaming is real-time playback where the bandwidth of the file is optimized such that as the file arrives at its destination it can be played back in real time.

Downloading is where the file is downloaded in its entirety first before it is played back at its destination.

That makes Prima Cinema a system that relies on downloading to deliver its movies, not streaming.
post #101 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
$100 and I get to keep the movie, and I would be interested. I would be flexible on the release date to make that happen.
post #102 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I thought that "streaming" and "downloading" we're two different things:

Streaming is real-time playback where the bandwidth of the file is optimized such that as the file arrives at its destination it can be played back in real time.

Downloading is where the file is downloaded in its entirety first before it is played back at its destination.

That makes Prima Cinema a system that relies on downloading to deliver its movies, not streaming.

Who said anything about Prima streaming movies!!!!
post #103 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Who said anything about Prima streaming movies!!!!

Glimmie in post 80
post #104 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Perhaps you didn't see my post 77?

And what does Glimmie know about Prima???????
post #105 of 232 Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

$100 and I get to keep the movie, and I would be interested. I would be flexible on the release date to make that happen.

There is definately a market for Higher quality downloads for Rent or Purchase at a premium, day and date of Bluray release, however this is not what Prima offers.

Hopefully in the future Prima can re-release movies day and date of Bluray release for rent or purchase. This will not be an option at the inception of service.
post #106 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hopefully in the future Prima can re-release movies day and date of Bluray release for rent or purchase. This will not be an option at the inception of service.

Funny, I was just talking to my wife about this last night. I think I would be much more interested if there was the additional ability to view catalog titles at the higher quality.

BTW, is there any need for different projector calibration settings with this different source?

Kevin
post #107 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
In addition it would be nice to see 4K content soon after launch! Or immediately.
post #108 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

High Speed internet pre-loaded

Hi Lon, So would this work outside the US, Europe?
post #109 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Peter:

Markets outside the US will be available, I am not sure which ones though
post #110 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Peter:

Markets outside the US will be available, I am not sure which ones though

Thanks Lon,

Well I'll take 8 systems in total if they can also sell to UK, Spain (Ibiza), and Moscow - Land of the most decadently luxurious homes I have yet seen anywhere.

BTW I am also pleased to report that the Kremlin was not blown up during the making of Mission Impossible.

LL
post #111 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing, other than my opinion it will not succeed.

Ok streaming is not the same as downloading as you put it but it's still delivery via internet.

Actually I always refer to "downloading" in this application as "store-forward".

But whatever.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #112 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh- I did read your post, I don't know what Glimmie knows about Prima, he continued to argue that downloading and then playing is streaming, I believe you that Prima does not stream as I spoke to the people demoing it in NJ...

Anything else need to be covered????

All I was doing was clearing up what I thought the definition of "streaming" was to reconcile what was being talked about here.
post #113 of 232 Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Seems to me that anyone who has the money to buy this system and can pay for the movies would careless about the "what ifs" which have taken over this thread.

I'm sure they don't care about how the content is delivered or if ultimately the company will fail.

I have certainly lost more than 35K due to the rapid depreciation of electronics. But ultimately I got enjoyment out of those items so it was worth it. And I'm by no means super rich!

So the ones who want it and can afford it will certainly do it. Because before now it wasn't even available at all. So as a famous credit card commercial would say, it was priceless! Compared to priceless, 35k and 500/movie would be a bargain!
post #114 of 232 Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Chris:

So your in?
post #115 of 232 Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris:

So your in?

Unfortunately, im definitely not one of those super rich!

I just blew my last 35k and then some for the Barco. Im all spent out!

If I had the money I would!

To me day/date content is the ultimate goal!
post #116 of 232 Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

Seems to me that anyone who has the money to buy this system and can pay for the movies would careless about the "what ifs" which have taken over this thread.

I'm sure they don't care about how the content is delivered or if ultimately the company will fail.

I have certainly lost more than 35K due to the rapid depreciation of electronics. But ultimately I got enjoyment out of those items so it was worth it. And I'm by no means super rich!

So the ones who want it and can afford it will certainly do it. Because before now it wasn't even available at all. So as a famous credit card commercial would say, it was priceless! Compared to priceless, 35k and 500/movie would be a bargain!

I could imagine having your A/V consultant and or IT person on stand by to figure out why your Movie will not play. A good Docsis 3.0 modem would handle the bandwidth no problem. I am curious on what the main unit in a potential customers would look like and what the specifications are..?

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #117 of 232 Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I had originally heard this system was $20 K, and was "thinking about it", especially if the price dropped over the next couple of years.

But at $35K... meh. I couldn't justify that.

$500 a movie is a lot - I'd watch way more at $250.

Lastly, was Amir joking about the player having a sensor to limit the audience??

I hope so, as I routinely have a dozen people over for movie night... I would NEVER consider this system if there was a limitation on my guests - it would defeat the whole purpose of their uber-rich customers bringing over friends to watch in their uber-amazing home theaters.

I am pretty sure that the Prima people MUST surely realize that their customers are not your average family of four sitting on the couch...
post #118 of 232 Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Lastly, was Amir joking about the player having a sensor to limit the audience??

Good to see you again rdjam. And yes, I was joking. But since no one else commented on it, I was not about to say so. I wonder if it has GPS positioning requirement which should be fine in its intended use.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #119 of 232 Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Good to see you again rdjam. And yes, I was joking. But since no one else commented on it, I was not about to say so. I wonder if it has GPS positioning requirement which should be fine in its intended use.

LOL! Thank the heavens.

I was about to let rip on that, because it would be a major fumble to limit the viewers in a private theater at the high end.

Phew - OK, officially a joke... Blood pressure dropping now... chuckle

BTW - did you get the email I sent you last night?

I saw your website and sent an email on the info@ link - planning a new home theater, and the audio stuff you're doing looks very cool.
post #120 of 232 Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This seems like something that would just have an incredibly small customer base.One issue is the number of good films released. As was said ,if it included a big library of catalog as well......

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page