Originally Posted by amirm
I opened the box after I realized he couldn't help me anyway. Looking at the main processor board, I found a solder bridge over two of the pins of the flash memory IC! I fixed that but no joy. I suspect the short caused the misprogramming. The PCB was reworked in that area. Not sure if that was as the result of the upgrade or original manufacturing.
Sloppy QC it's what it's all about. My brand new TCS Mk III arrived DEAD from the factory. Turned out that the internal power supply connectors were reversed!!! The guys assembled the unit and did not even bother to see if it powered on. Unbelievable! Another problem was that the channel mute relays did not work causing a loud POP when turning the unit on/off. The reason was that a transistor was installed the wrong way. Third problem was that one of the DSP boards was bad and caused static. Fourth problem (still not solved) is that HDMI audio sometimes goes dead - I found a workaround for now. Fifth problem (still not solved) is that the TCS forgets speaker-correction linkings when using multiple speaker setups. This is a simple software bug that Boz has fruitlessly promised to fix for more than a year now...
My Boz 216/2200 had these manufacturing defects:
-The 8 PTCs in Boz 216 are incorrectly dimensioned and will burn out with repetitive restarting. I had 2 PTCs burn out in less than 6 months. Since I fixed it 4 years ago, everything has been perfect. Boz does not believe me when I say his component choice is flawed.
-The plastic insulator spacers for the 4 transistors in Boz 2200 that are supposed to be cut/shortened in production, but apparently this is not always done and it causes the transistors to not be properly thermally connected and you end up with spontatnaeous amplifier self combustion. I had 3 amps go up in smoke before I finally figured out what's wrong. Boz still does not have a clue.
-The I/O PCB in all my 8 Boz 2200 amps have a design flaw that has been patched. It was not patched in one of the amps and this caused a problem with the daisy chain XLR connection.
-Two amps were patched to start more slowly (for no apparent reason and Boz could not tell why - I removed the patch with no side effects).
-Three amps with costmetic defects out of the box (blemishes on front panel). It took me MONTHS of nagging before I got Boz to send me replacements.
And probably a few other things I don't remember any more...
Pretty sad considering that the TCS Mk3 is $15k and the eight amp Boz 216/2200 combo is $34k.
Oh, and essentially Boz told Cineramax that I'm crazy and I should take a hike for complaining about "minor" things like this. (Eventually it turned out he screwed Cineramax too, and the planet that should have Boz amps gear got Levinson amps instead - my memory. Pieter, if you read this feel free to correct me).
Originally Posted by amirm
Either way, it was very sloppy work.
I agree 100%.
The TacT units are great once you fix all the "built in" problems.