JVC DILA Vs Sony Qualia 04 - Any experiences? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Prelude: The thread of Epson 8350 Vs Qualia.. I had done a direct comparision between the two.. the Qualia is a clearly superior projector.. Despite the new 4th gen high contrast chips in Epson etc..

I have been a marquee 9500 owner for 11 years.. I had bought the first generation DILA (jvc g10), 12 years ago.. I was excited about it's light output.. but ended up discarding it.. Wasted $18k for nothing.. Again.. at that time, people were raving about digitals, calibration, gamma.. what not.. It was nonsense.. it had a bad picture.. as simple as that..

I have tried on my 150" wide screen, the Sim2 Lumis.. a $56,000 NEC 3 chip pro dlp (5000 lumens) and now the Qualia.. I didn't spend much time with Sim2 LUmis but I am very familiar with the NEC.. Qualia is as good (probably better because the NEC is circa 2002 I think).. but even the old NEC is much superior to current high contrast Epson 8350..

The common factor I noticed was - the LIght engine and the optics, along with superior electronics.. in $20k+ projectors are something people simply cannot comprehend, unless they have visually experienced them..

Now, I really would like to try and get someone to write about the current JVC DILA's.. Vs Qualia.. . Would it have the quality of a Qulia's picture? Frankly, I am beginning to doubt it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given that your screen is 150" wide, I doubt that any current JVC model will cover your needs. The maximum rated light output they claim is 1300 lumens. That is always, before calibration. If I remember correctly the Qualia 004 had 1600 lumens. The main difference between the two projectors is the build quality, especially the lens. I have never seen a DILA projector on such a large screen. I would however try it out, based on the fact that it will cost much less than the Quallia and the black level should be significantly better. I would recommend that you demo the top of the line X9 model. I am hopping that the light output will be greater than the specs, due to a newly designed light path for extra brightness for 3D viewing.

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
audvid,

If you say approximately where you are maybe somebody will offer to bring a JVC over for a comparison (if you are willing to do that).

It has been a while since I owned a Qualia 004, but it is likely sharper at the pixel level by a reasonable amount compared to the RS40 I have. I'm not sure if it would be compared to a friend's RS20 though.

The on/off CR of the JVCs is of course on another level and this can make a pretty big difference with darker scenes and I wouldn't expect the Epson 8350 you compared before to be that close to the later JVCs in this department. Especially given that one review had it behind the Panasonic AE4000 for blacks. The AE4000 is definitely behind the later JVCs by a fair amount for blacks.

For my dark theater I would not want to go back to the on/off CR of the Qualia, but it does a lot of other things right.

If you do a comparison and leave one projector way brighter while switching back and forth quickly people are likely to pick the brighter image. The iris in the JVC could be used to try to equalize white levels a fair amount if it is brighter (depends on bulb age somewhat), but you might have to close the iris in the Qualia some too.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Darrin,
Good Point about iris and white level..
I was picking the brighter image of qualia..
I didn't try the iris because its just too dark.. With Iris, I would suspect that there would be no difference or minimal difference..
I evaluated it the way I have been watching the two but you make a good point. I didn't think about it..
I am in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The question/post was only for informative purpose.. for myself and possibly others..
I would be happy to host a demo.. I have the cables and the location to do the direct a/b switching..
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
audvid: my JVC would not be able to properly light up your 150" screen.
I should know.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well Mike, of all the people, you would know best of course.. ha ha..
I didn't realize that you bought the JVC to replace my/your qualia.. which model jvc?
Mike.. you are admiting that my projector is better than yours.. and thanks for that.. hee heee
but yes.. you are correct. The $3000 lens is amazing.. As a friend odyssey put it, the qualia lens manufacturing cost is probably more than many of the new basic high contrast projectors.. Carl zeiss lens, correct?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page