The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 297 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #8881 of 8887 Old Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Subwoofers all have some group delay. Unlike some, I am not an engineer and/or I do not want to spend hours reading technical articles and trying to understand exactly what group delay is. All I know from a quick Google is that group delay applies to subwoofers with low frequency output. Barry at JL Audio told me that my f212 subwoofers have a 12 millisecond (ms) group delay. In audio terms, one foot = 1 ms delay. So I added 12 feet to my subwoofer distance in the CBIV menu. Barry explained that this really dials in the subwoofer. Now the group delay for other makes and models of subwoofer may vary some.
You can use REW to more accurately dial in delay and phase to align (a) multiple subs and (b) the subs to your mains

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8887 Old Today, 11:54 AM
BP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Steve and other CB Dirac users;
I don't post here too often but felt compelled to on this topic.
I wanted to add my voice to the others who have been amazed by the improvements brought to their systems by adding Dirac. It's worthy of a "wow!"
I have acoustic treatments which helped quite a bit. I knew there was room for improvement but I still enjoyed my system.
Then I demoed the KEF Blade Two speakers with Craig and George. While I still need another demo to cement my feelings about them, the demo of the Blades and several other similarly priced speakers made the shortcomings of my Aerial/JL 212's combo all too apparent.
So did a small new office system (Devialet and KEF LS50's), believe it or not!
John B @ Theta has always been a wonderful resource. He provided me with screen shots and some other documentation so I would be comfortable running Dirac.
Bottom line: it's like I have a new system!!!
The changes are so profound that I couldn't believe the sound I was hearing was from the same equipment. It has given my system a new lease on life!!! I just can't stop listening to it while my hands, feet and head are moving with the music. I am so engrossed now that I want to hear each cut through to the end to listen to what the engineer wanted me to hear.
The acid test was my wife! She has patiently sat and listened to changes I've made to the system through the years and always said "it sounded good before and sounds good now." This time she sat down, listened to a cut she knew and said "it's much clearer now!" 1st time in years she had been able to discern the difference. And that difference is audible from top to bottom!! Simply awesome!!
Now I am wondering what magic Dirac will bring to the KEF Blade Two.
When I return to my NY system in a few days the 1st change I will make will be to add some distance to the sub settings to accommodate their inherent delay.
There are times I love this hobby; this is one of them!:smiley:
bp
post #8883 of 8887 Old Today, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sonic improvements sometimes sort of lift a veil to some extent. ANd I have a great room with excellent Michael Greene PZC acoustic treatment. Yet Dirac has not lifted a small veil, but a BIG VEIL!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8884 of 8887 Old Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been playing the game a few years now and understand. I've made changes that have lifted a veil. Some more than others. This is more like raising a curtain. A veil isn't near heavy enough.

Les

Les
post #8885 of 8887 Old Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post
I've been playing the game a few years now and understand. I've made changes that have lifted a veil. Some more than others. This is more like raising a curtain. A veil isn't near heavy enough.

Les
Good one. And correct! I'll take you one further. Dirac Live is raising the curtain. And it raises the bar. One of these days Dirac Unison will raise the Titanic!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8886 of 8887 Old Today, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I know Theta at a recent show in Newport had the new D3 DAC installed into the new CBIVa along with the new 8x2 HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 card. Was there ever a shot of the rear of that unit? Also I'm curious if there has been any pictures of the CBV and the external 12 channel DAC that was announced at the same time as the CBV to partner with the unit to get it beyond the 12 channel internal limitation?

post #8887 of 8887 Old Today, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The official Theta Owners Thread

Rod, I don't recall seeing any of that but maybe Craig or Jeff will share.

Steve, we could go down the whole thesaurus for superlatives but I think we all agree that Dirac is a game changer. That there's better coming is just icing the cake.

Les

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)