The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 309 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes
post #9241 of 9246 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Impressive system Sharp!
Thank you Bigmoviefan. I blame Steve B!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 9246 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I agree. Mine is continuing to sound much better. These class D amps all are prone to break in for some reason.
Listening to music and it definitely sounds better! So I will 'not' say it is all the way burned in at 400 hours! It still is improving and I bet I have more than 700 plus hours on it!
post #9243 of 9246 Unread Yesterday, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I noticed after my second week the amps have really started to really sound much "smoother" from top to bottom. So much easier to listen to, I am much happier now.
post #9244 of 9246 Unread Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Thank you Bigmoviefan. I blame Steve B!
Nice to be "blamed" for something good for once!!@@@

Actually, that is a very "Sharp" comment! HA!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #9245 of 9246 Unread Yesterday, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I understand the reason for room correction. More often than not it is needed. There is a counter argument as to why it isn't used as well. This says it best. If you have not watched this, it is WELL worth the effort. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l1IkpzeuQI
I fully appreciate what Dirac can do. IMHO, it is superior to Room Perfect and XT-32. I love the fact that you do not have to apply anything to the top end. I have 3 theaters in total. Some rooms factually need room EQ with others don't. So I want the flexibility.
Per the video, I don't want to touch the top end of my speakers. My ears don't prefer it. If you like to enact curves then by definition, you are right because it is your subjective opinion.
With all that side, that wasn't my point to Bulldogger. You cannot add something back once you take it away specifically when it is not FR related. As I stated, the difference in SQ between amps have nothing to do with frequency response. I have no issues what-so-ever to engage room EQ below 500 hz even in a semi-near perfect room. And to reaffirm, I see the value of adjusting the FR (via curves) for some speakers and some rooms and for some ears.
Also, I have played with Dirac. It is the best product out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
OT: Thanks for the nice video. Paul Hales (a familiar name from high end audio in the 90's) was talking about the transition/Shroeder frequency, above which room correction is quite controversial and NOT necessarily always "justified." My understanding is that almost by definition, there is no such thing as *room* correction above Shroeder. Above this frequency, all so called "room correction" algorithms are correcting the speaker's power response, in essence, the very sound of the speaker that the designer is aiming for. Not necessarily a good idea. This has been discussed by various pro's on this forum: Amir in his Wide Screen Review writing, Nyal Melor in his excellent blog http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...a-primer-html/, etc.
I would also like to add that to me, justification for room correction at high frequency, and adjusting the sound using equalizer/bass-treble controls to fit taste are 2 different "things." For example in my case although I don't believe in room correction above Shroeder in the scientific sense, I do like to use (gasp) the tone control/equalizer at all frequencies to adjust certain ****ty sounding material to my taste. I use it in my cars all the time and would love to try it in my high end system. Most main stream recording/music is so harsh/strident in the high frequency that I invariably turn up the bass and turn down the treble in my cars.
The points made above are excellent.

I’ve long pre-Dirac “heard” in high end audio circles that digital room correction and EQing is most important in the region of about 300 Hz on down, after room treatments could reasonably take care of first reflections and the rest of the sonic spectrum. But yea, as usual, Amir explains it best, that the lowest end of the sonic spectrum is where the room dominates, then there’s a small transition area, and then for the bulk of the sonic spectrum the speaker dominates, thus as you pick speakers based on how they sound, you want to be careful because you may alter the overall sonics if you correct too much in the area of the sonic spectrum dominated by the speaker.

So far, I have just played and used the Dirac target curve, adjusting at the low end per the Theta CBIV manual instructions for the high pass crossover and below. Its been on my “schedule” to play with restricting Dirac only to the very low end, but I haven’t got there yet, particularly as I so luv what I am hearing right now.

Amir’s article begs the question of exactly what is the curve for my Aerial 7ts as objectively measured? For that, we turn to the Stereophile review of the Aerial 7ts:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...WtWJF8Kdrb9.97

“Fig.4 shows how these individual responses sum in the farfield on the 7T's tweeter axis, without the grille. With the grille in place (not shown) there is less energy in the mid-treble, and a little more above 10kHz. The bump in the upper bass is entirely due to the nearfield measurement technique, which assumes that the drive-units are mounted in a baffle infinitely wide and tall. However, it does look as if the 7T's woofer alignment is a little overdamped, trading bass weight against clarity. The Aerial's low frequencies are still extended, however, with the usual 24dB/octave rolloff below the port tuning frequency. Other than the small peak between 2 and 3kHz, the Model 7T's response is superbly flat. This graph was produced with serial no.074541; when I repeated the measurement on no.074542, the results (not shown) were identical, which demonstrates excellent pair matching but also confirms that the small peak in the low treble is characteristic of the design. I note that Kal Rubinson didn't comment on any brightness or coloration that might have resulted from this behavior, but I suspect that it does slightly emphasize recorded detail."

Below is the Stereophile reviewer's frequency response measurement of the Aerial 7t:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerial 7t frequency response.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	868082  

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
post #9246 of 9246 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In my larger than most home theater rooms (18'3" wide, 25' long, and 12' high), consistent with Amir's discussion above, no wonder why my Dirac frequency response graphs show on average a gentle rolloff above 300 Hz. So the Aerial 7ts response in my room, with the Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers as acoustic treatments, is the the Aerial's "superbly flat" measurement per Stereophile translates into a gentle rolloff in my room, and if you take the peaks and valleys and average them the end result would pretty much look like the Dirac target curve above 300 Hz. No wonder why I've liked using the Dirac target curve adjusted at the low end per the Theta CBIV manual! My most significant issues as measured by Dirac are mostly below 100 Hz and somewhat below 300 Hz, without using the EQ only feature of my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. To me it makes more sense to ONLY use Dirac for the low frequency correction as Dirac corrects in both the frequency and time/impulse domains.

Nonetheless, at some point I will get around to playing with Dirac some more!

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page