The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 163Likes
post #9511 of 9518 Old Today, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Hi Steve,

Sorry, but it's still not getting through my head yet. It seems like what you mentioned supports why I think levels should be set with the crossover. If I use the CBIV with crossovers on, then levels should be set with crossovers on. If, when playing movies/TV, the mains and surround are not as loud, because the crossover is being used, then I want levels to be set with that same consideration. The same for the sub - if it needs to have more bass level, because of the crossover of the other speakers, then I want to set levels that way.

I consider the other side - if I set my mains and surrounds to full for the levels - what happens if a speaker's bass is louder than the rest of the frequencies for that speaker? For example, the level for a speaker, with the crossover, is set to level 0, but when full, it is set to -2. The speaker is then used with the crossover, so now it's going to be too low in level, because the bass is being cut off by the crossover.

Again, maybe I just don't understand yet...

Thanks for your patience!
Dave
Dave - think of this as - - Do not engage DIRAC Live yet - - with each speaker set to "Full", you have the same volume of signal going to each main channel with the same volume of signal (LFE only) going to the subwoofer. But when you set crossover for the main speakers, somewhat less signal goes to the main speakers and somewhat more signal - the crossed over bass - goes to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE signal. So by setting speaker & subwoofer levels using the "Full" setting for each main speaker, you maintain this balance. Then once you have set the speaker & subwoofer levels, set the main speakers to "Xover" and presto, your sonics will be the best ever.

Of course, then when you measure and use Dirac, follow this same procedure.

Really not that hard.

Again, review the CBIV manual, available on the Theta Digital website, as the manual tells you to do this procedure at least pre-Dirac.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9518 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't see how you guys are putting your fists through the front panel or drop kicking the unit out the door in frustration dealing with a small old school 2 line LCD display They could have least built it with a modern LCD on the front ala Dan D’Agostino Lifestyle just to give an example of a nice size display that would be very user friendly not to mention a true graphical display. A touch screen would be nice for easy navigation but certainly not necessary.

post #9513 of 9518 Old Today, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I don't see how you guys are putting your fists through the front panel or drop kicking the unit out the door in frustration dealing with a small old school 2 line LCD display They could have least built it with a modern LCD on the front ala Dan D’Agostino Lifestyle just to give an example of a nice size display that would be very user friendly not to mention a true graphical display. A touch screen would be nice for easy navigation but certainly not necessary.
I don't see it as any issue at all, honestly. I set it up once, then I'm done and I can just enjoy.

Dave
post #9514 of 9518 Old Today, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Again, review the CBIV manual, available on the Theta Digital website, as the manual tells you to do this procedure at least pre-Dirac.
Steve - thanks for you time on the phone - always fun to talk!!!!! If anyone can point me to the page in the CBIV manual, that would be great. For some dumb reason, I just can't find it.

Thanks,
Dave
post #9515 of 9518 Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
The front LCD panel ain't big enough to punch my fist through. I already have a right hip replacement. I do not need to be the first to get a hand/fingers robotic replacement!

Keep in mind by far most Casablanca SSP owners have owned and upgraded the Casablanca SSP over the years. The cost of substantially revising the SSP front to have a much larger LCD display is probably too much $$ in terms of what current CB owners would want to pay.
But you do make a valid point now that the HDMI is pass through (since 2011 with the CBIIIHD). Though I must tell you that its really not hard to sit in front of the CBIIIHD or CBIV and do the programming - I am finding with my CBIV that programming from the front panel isn't hard at all!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #9516 of 9518 Old Today, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I guess as long as it's intuitive then that's more than half the battle. Perhaps the CBE when it comes would have a true LCD screen, one can always dream I suppose

post #9517 of 9518 Old Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 122
That is the one thing I like regarding my Classe SSP-800, touchscreen, and LCD screen which makes setup very easy. It also has analog inputs to use my XLR cables. The Casablanca regarding initial set up reminds me of my old B&K processor, small front screen for setting up and terrible OSD. I'm still headed towards one.
post #9518 of 9518 Unread Today, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Regarding screen, yes I of course agree it looks like it could be improved upon, but from a user's standpoint, I could only report that "improvement" to the screen is very low on my wish list (in fact not on the wish list at all). The specific setup algorithm of the Casablanca is met very well by the screen. I actually finds it fast and convenient (but of course I've spent hours and hours on it).

I would rather resources be concentrated on smooth integration of new technology into Casablanca, including this critical addition of Atmos and DTS:X - the user-friendliness/easy-to-understand-menu *functional* aspect. The goal should be to make Casablanca acts as a brand new SSP designed from ground up to accommodate DD, Dolby TrueHD, and Atmos with a well designed setup menu - not one that started life as lossy SSP, then lossless, then 3D, etc.

Of course ultimately the sound is what we are after; on that aspect, I could make a guarantee :-). My opinion has not changed that it is a tremendous sounding SSP - the very definition of SOTA.

Regards, Can
My system & CBIII HD Mini Review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage, rich, full sound with *unlimited* :-) dynamics!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; Today at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page