The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 164Likes

post #9511 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Hi Steve,

Sorry, but it's still not getting through my head yet. It seems like what you mentioned supports why I think levels should be set with the crossover. If I use the CBIV with crossovers on, then levels should be set with crossovers on. If, when playing movies/TV, the mains and surround are not as loud, because the crossover is being used, then I want levels to be set with that same consideration. The same for the sub - if it needs to have more bass level, because of the crossover of the other speakers, then I want to set levels that way.

I consider the other side - if I set my mains and surrounds to full for the levels - what happens if a speaker's bass is louder than the rest of the frequencies for that speaker? For example, the level for a speaker, with the crossover, is set to level 0, but when full, it is set to -2. The speaker is then used with the crossover, so now it's going to be too low in level, because the bass is being cut off by the crossover.

Again, maybe I just don't understand yet...

Thanks for your patience!
Dave
Dave - think of this as - - Do not engage DIRAC Live yet - - with each speaker set to "Full", you have the same volume of signal going to each main channel with the same volume of signal (LFE only) going to the subwoofer. But when you set crossover for the main speakers, somewhat less signal goes to the main speakers and somewhat more signal - the crossed over bass - goes to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE signal. So by setting speaker & subwoofer levels using the "Full" setting for each main speaker, you maintain this balance. Then once you have set the speaker & subwoofer levels, set the main speakers to "Xover" and presto, your sonics will be the best ever.

Of course, then when you measure and use Dirac, follow this same procedure.

Really not that hard.

Again, review the CBIV manual, available on the Theta Digital website, as the manual tells you to do this procedure at least pre-Dirac.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't see how you guys are putting your fists through the front panel or drop kicking the unit out the door in frustration dealing with a small old school 2 line LCD display They could have least built it with a modern LCD on the front ala Dan D’Agostino Lifestyle just to give an example of a nice size display that would be very user friendly not to mention a true graphical display. A touch screen would be nice for easy navigation but certainly not necessary.

post #9513 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I don't see how you guys are putting your fists through the front panel or drop kicking the unit out the door in frustration dealing with a small old school 2 line LCD display They could have least built it with a modern LCD on the front ala Dan D’Agostino Lifestyle just to give an example of a nice size display that would be very user friendly not to mention a true graphical display. A touch screen would be nice for easy navigation but certainly not necessary.
I don't see it as any issue at all, honestly. I set it up once, then I'm done and I can just enjoy.

Dave
post #9514 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Again, review the CBIV manual, available on the Theta Digital website, as the manual tells you to do this procedure at least pre-Dirac.
Steve - thanks for you time on the phone - always fun to talk!!!!! If anyone can point me to the page in the CBIV manual, that would be great. For some dumb reason, I just can't find it.

Thanks,
Dave
post #9515 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The front LCD panel ain't big enough to punch my fist through. I already have a right hip replacement. I do not need to be the first to get a hand/fingers robotic replacement!

Keep in mind by far most Casablanca SSP owners have owned and upgraded the Casablanca SSP over the years. The cost of substantially revising the SSP front to have a much larger LCD display is probably too much $$ in terms of what current CB owners would want to pay.
But you do make a valid point now that the HDMI is pass through (since 2011 with the CBIIIHD). Though I must tell you that its really not hard to sit in front of the CBIIIHD or CBIV and do the programming - I am finding with my CBIV that programming from the front panel isn't hard at all!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #9516 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess as long as it's intuitive then that's more than half the battle. Perhaps the CBE when it comes would have a true LCD screen, one can always dream I suppose

post #9517 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 122
That is the one thing I like regarding my Classe SSP-800, touchscreen, and LCD screen which makes setup very easy. It also has analog inputs to use my XLR cables. The Casablanca regarding initial set up reminds me of my old B&K processor, small front screen for setting up and terrible OSD. I'm still headed towards one.
post #9518 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Regarding Casablanca's display screen, yes I of course agree it could be improved upon, but from a user's standpoint, I could only report that "improvement" to the screen is very low on my wish list, in fact not on the wish list at all. The specific setup algorithm of the Casablanca is met very well by the screen. I actually finds it fast and convenient (but of course I've spent hours and hours on it).

I would rather resources be concentrated on smooth integration of new technologies into Casablanca, including this critical addition of Atmos and DTS:X - the user-friendliness/easy-to-understand-menu *functional* aspect. The goal should be to make Casablanca act as a brand new SSP designed from ground up to accommodate DD, Dolby TrueHD, and Atmos with a well designed setup menu - not one that started life as lossy SSP, then lossless, then 3D, etc.

Of course ultimately the sound is what we are after; on that aspect, I could make a guarantee :-). My opinion has not changed that it is a tremendous sounding SSP - the very definition of SOTA.
Bulldogger likes this.

Regards, Can
My system & CBIII HD Mini Review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage, rich, full sound with *unlimited* :-) dynamics!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; Yesterday at 08:32 PM.
post #9519 of 9529 Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I found front panel set up easy. Remember there are globals to copy the tedious stuff across, inputs, levels, crossover etc. Then you just have to do names, default mode and so on. Plus whatever individual tweeks you might want.

Yes it was easier with Crystal which doesn't work with III HD and up. But not so much so that I'd want it over the other things in process.

Les

Les
post #9520 of 9529 Old Today, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Plus setup via the front panel is so easy I can see no benefit from a GUI.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #9521 of 9529 Old Today, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Please remind me why speakers are set to "Full", when setting levels? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks,
Dave
The things to remember are the following:

- you sweep the speakers without any crossover settings (i.e. Full) in order to get a picture of their full spectrum response behaviour. If a crossover was engaged you are providing Dirac a misleading response behaviour. Once you know the full spectrum response behaviour you are in a position to use this information to make decisions regarding crossover settings and Dirac curves (as the latter impact the slope of the crossover i.e. the slope of the crossover is the CB setting plus the slope of the Dirac curve) ***

- the levels at which you sweep the speakers is largely irrelevant - there's no magic to 70dB or something close thereto - except you want to conduct the response behaviour sweeps at levels well above the noise floor. Dirac provides guidance as to the 'green zone' volumes for doing the sweeps. The precise level isn't so important.

- once you've set the curves and Dirac has computed its equalisation algorithms you set levels etc

*** personally, as I have said before, I would like the ability to sweep the front L (or R) plus sub as a 'single speaker' with the chosen crossover settings engaged but this isn't available (and likely will never be) from Dirac. It would save some of the addition necessary (CB slope plus Dirac curve slope) and, more importantly, would smooth the net response of the combined speakers rather than combining the smoothed response of each individual speaker - the net is what we care about and things are never perfectly equalised; one might find you are trying to correct a challenging null in one speaker and a boost in the other when actually the two would net naturally.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!

Last edited by stevekale; Today at 12:43 AM.
post #9522 of 9529 Old Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I guess as long as it's intuitive then that's more than half the battle. Perhaps the CBE when it comes would have a true LCD screen, one can always dream I suppose
At some future point something like ATI is doing with it's SAE brand, would look nice. http://hear-sae.com/products/sae-2hp/

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #9523 of 9529 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
At some future point something like ATI is doing with it's SAE brand, would look nice. http://hear-sae.com/products/sae-2hp/

Yeah that would certainly get the job done That's a huge screen.

post #9524 of 9529 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
The things to remember are the following:
- you sweep the speakers without any crossover settings (i.e. Full) in order to get a picture of their full spectrum response behaviour. If a crossover was engaged you are providing Dirac a misleading response behaviour. Once you know the full spectrum response behaviour you are in a position to use this information to make decisions regarding crossover settings and Dirac curves (as the latter impact the slope of the crossover i.e. the slope of the crossover is the CB setting plus the slope of the Dirac curve) ***
- once you've set the curves and Dirac has computed its equalisation algorithms you set levels etc

OK, so this might make a little more sense to me - thanks Steve! What I hear you saying for a procedure is:

1) crossovers off (full)
2) set levels
3) do Dirac calibration
4) turn on crossovers
5) follow procedure in manual to set levels again, using the Avia disk.

However, if not doing a Dirac calibration (I've been running without it, since I picked up my CB4), then I would only do steps #4 and #5 - correct?

Regarding steps 1-3, are you saying that when doing the Dirac calibration, it depends upon the levels being set beforehand??

Thanks,
Dave
post #9525 of 9529 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally have 5 monoblock amps!

I have always dreamed of having 5 amps ever since reading Steve's posts regarding his system. I'm now focused on reading all of your posts and learning all I can about the Casablanca. I wish there was someone who owned a Classe SSP-800 and is familiar with it's sonic background that switched over to the Theta CB. I need a unit that sonically rivals a 2 audiophile grade dedicated preamp which I gave up years ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	913866   Click image for larger version

Name:	81.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	913874  

Last edited by Sharp1080; Today at 09:53 AM.
post #9526 of 9529 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OK, so this might make a little more sense to me - thanks Steve! What I hear you saying for a procedure is:

1) crossovers off (full)
2) set levels
3) do Dirac calibration
4) turn on crossovers
5) follow procedure in manual to set levels again, using the Avia disk.

However, if not doing a Dirac calibration (I've been running without it, since I picked up my CB4), then I would only do steps #4 and #5 - correct?

Regarding steps 1-3, are you saying that when doing the Dirac calibration, it depends upon the levels being set beforehand??

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, again I emphasize, once Dirac calibration is all done and you have turned Dirac on in the CBIV, then you remeasure the CBIV speaker and subwoofer levels, following Theta instructions. For this speaker and subwoofer level setting, you keep all speakers at "Full" with no crossover. AFTER you have set the speaker levels, then for use of the CBIV you set the speakers to crossover (:Xover").

You are more than welcome to come over sometime and we can go through this on my system. Its easy!

My home theater at:
post #9527 of 9529 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have always dreamed of having 5 amps ever since reading Steve's posts regarding his system. I'm now focused on reading all of your posts and learning all I can about the Casablanca. I wish there was someone who owned a Classe SSP-800 and is familiar with it's sonic background that switched over to the Theta CB. I need a unit that sonically rivals a 2 audiophile grade dedicated preamp which I gave up years ago!
Vern, you mentioned you sometimes get to the Phoenix area. Hop on over and lets have some fun with my CBIV and audio/home theater room!

As I told you before, if you want to use a SSP to sonically rival a 2 channel audiophile grade dedicated preamp, then get a CBIV with the new Extreme D-3 card for DACs, except also get the CBIV full bandwith digital out card AND a Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC for your front left and right channels. This will kill your current Classe SSP sonics given your outstanding and Wilson speakers.

My home theater at:
post #9528 of 9529 Old Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Oh - congrats on five Prometheus monoblocks. Very SHARP!

My home theater at:
post #9529 of 9529 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Vern, you mentioned you sometimes get to the Phoenix area. Hop on over and lets have some fun with my CBIV and audio/home theater room!

As I told you before, if you want to use a SSP to sonically rival a 2 channel audiophile grade dedicated preamp, then get a CBIV with the new Extreme D-3 card for DACs, except also get the CBIV full bandwith digital out card AND a Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC for your front left and right channels. This will kill your current Classe SSP sonics given your outstanding and Wilson speakers.
Steve,

I will let you know ahead of time. That does sound like the way to achieve my 2 channel audiophile cravings. I might end up at your place before my dealer gets his setup. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page