The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 164Likes
post #9541 of 9543 Unread Today, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
*** personally, as I have said before, I would like the ability to sweep the front L (or R) plus sub as a 'single speaker' with the chosen crossover settings engaged but this isn't available (and likely will never be) from Dirac. It would save some of the addition necessary (CB slope plus Dirac curve slope) and, more importantly, would smooth the net response of the combined speakers rather than combining the smoothed response of each individual speaker - the net is what we care about and things are never perfectly equalised; one might find you are trying to correct a challenging null in one speaker and a boost in the other when actually the two would net naturally.
This creates its own set of problems; I tried this with Acourate and it didn't work very well for a system with mono subs. The issue I had is that while it created a great result for the left speaker + mono subs, and, a great result for the right speaker + mono sub, the result with mono material was not very good as the Left and Right correction filters "worked against" each other. Since most lower frequency material tends to be more monophonic than discrete L or R, the end result was not very satisfying in practice. In my system, I get better results with separate corrections for the L, R, and mono subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9543 Unread Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
I think this is confusing/debatable. I would set the final Levels with the crossovers engaged. After all, that's how they will be operating. For doing the sweeps and making sure the volume is in the required sweet spot for DL sweep/measurement the speakers need to be set to Full. Having said that, I suspect differences that would result are likely to be tiny given the frequency range of noise sent to mains versus sub for level setting.
I agree with this, set levels to include bass management related rolloff. However an even better way to do it is to abandon the SPL meter and use REW to align the levels through the critical "power" range from 100-500Hz. If you do that it doesn't matter if bass management is on or off.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
post #9543 of 9543 Unread Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
This creates its own set of problems; I tried this with Acourate and it didn't work very well for a system with mono subs. The issue I had is that while it created a great result for the left speaker + mono subs, and, a great result for the right speaker + mono sub, the result with mono material was not very good as the Left and Right correction filters "worked against" each other. Since most lower frequency material tends to be more monophonic than discrete L or R, the end result was not very satisfying in practice. In my system, I get better results with separate corrections for the L, R, and mono subs.
+1.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page