The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #10291 of 10313 Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
I have scoured the latest CES posts and have not seen any new references to release dates for the ATMOS/DTS:X upgrade for the Casablanca IV? Anyone here heard anything concrete lately?

StereoJeff, do you have any info to share on the release?
Atmos was working on the CB IV just in advance of CES. Dave Reich said it wasn't yet ready for prime time so we demoed 7.4 at the Venetian. At this point I can only conjecture that adding Atmos to the CB platform remains imminent.

Jeff

P. S. I was extremely pleased with the sound we achieved at CES. The press mostly skipped us as the only "new" item was the D3 internal DAC's in the CB IV. But one very prominent audio exec, not formally associated with Theta or ATI opined, "this is the best audio demonstration I have ever heard". I only wish we could have shared the experience with all of you.

Last edited by Stereojeff; 01-19-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: addendum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10313 Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Atmos was working on the CB IV just in advance of CES. Dave Reich said it wasn't yet ready for prime time so we demoed 7.4 at the Venetian. At this point I can only conjecture that adding Atmos to the CB platform remains imminent.

Jeff
What about the CBE, still in development?

post #10293 of 10313 Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
What about the CBE, still in development?
Yes.

Jeff
post #10294 of 10313 Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Interesting audio factoid!

Theta and ATI are located on the same small city block as the defunct USA headquarters for Teac! Remember them in the 70s and 80s?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #10295 of 10313 Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
We do not know if that is choice at all. The whole point is to have Theta clarify the technical possibillities.

And since Gen 8 is a standalone DAC, we do not have to include Dirac for that product as an example.

Sill I hope SQ is a motivation
I'm still not sure this as big of a deal for a dac? Meridian is talking about custom artifact reducing filters. Theta already utilizes it's own custom filters and wasn't interested last time Meridian had a "special filter.". A few years back Meridian was using apodizing filters or something like that? I like Meridian. They are one of the original companies that really developed great digital sound. I think if Theta were to market the dac that N-core is producing, I'm not sure how much this would even apply with the design of that dac. I am further wondering if the MQA will impact dacs in the lower end of the spectrum a lot more that might employ off the shelf digital filters and benefit from this more so than the high-end where a lot of the "heavy weights" do their on filter design. I'd like to hear Charles Hansen's opinion for example.

As for the Dirac live, doesn't the link you post say it can't be implemented before the dac? Will Meridian allow something like Dirac or would you be forced to use their antiquated room correction? "While the MQA decoder can incorporate software-based DSP for room correction or EQ (e.g. in AV Receivers), any such processing (including sample-rate conversion or software-based upsampling), can’t be introduced between the decoder and the DAC chip without breaking the chain." Doesn't this also exclude a company like Berkeley Alpha that uses sample rate conversion via Jriver for DSD playback? I'll have to know a lot more. I'd have to know what room correction could be incorporated. I still believe a "messed up" room will muddy anything Meridian can do on the mastering or decoding side. State of the art room correction has to be part of the equation.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 01-19-2016 at 06:03 PM.
post #10296 of 10313 Old 01-22-2016, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More MQA facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Thanx ,that about covers it.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...-for-everyone/
post #10297 of 10313 Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
StereoJeff, big question. Are any of the current Casablanca Dacs ( extreme d2, extreme d3, premium dac) going to work on the new upcoming Casablanca V/E?
post #10298 of 10313 Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I wanted to post a follow up to the HDMI Audio pass through from a few weeks ago. John Baloff and I finally connected last week and he told me that:
  1. Current CBIV does NOT pass audio through their HDMI Output.
  2. The future plans for next gen CB's is dependent on which HDMI card supplier they end up with. Audio pass through is not a design consideration. Only video quality. So whether the future bard has audio pass through will be a coincidence of whether that supplier passes audio or not.
  3. His only suggestion was to use an upstream HDMI matrix switch, which I was trying to avoid.
Regards,
Vector
post #10299 of 10313 Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
StereoJeff, big question. Are any of the current Casablanca Dacs ( extreme d2, extreme d3, premium dac) going to work on the new upcoming Casablanca V/E?
A very good question.

post #10300 of 10313 Old 01-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi David

Great to see the continued evolution of your amazing system. You may recall we had traded emails a few years back. I have MBL111s and a CB3 and 2 of Seatons big subs. Looking at your system, am getting the upgrade bug again
post #10301 of 10313 Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Question for Steve, David Shapiro and others...

Hi folks

I suspect Steve has the biggest experience base in creating an SACD/DVD-audio library and listening to multi-channel music through the Theta.

Two questions....
1. I don't have a large SACD or DVD-audio library (maybe 10) and have never burnt them. If I were to start creating a loss less, HD, multi-channel library, what is the best place to buy these tracks and what digital format do they come in/should be stored in (if there is a sticky on this, please forward...i couldn't find it?)

2. what is the best media player and interface to store and play these tracks that plays nice with the CB1V? I'm looking for something that can easily be programmed into a remote (I have Control4) and that even my family could use. Steve - I know you use JRiver.....others like David are using Aurender. what should I add to my system?

many thanks
post #10302 of 10313 Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post
Hi folks

I suspect Steve has the biggest experience base in creating an SACD/DVD-audio library and listening to multi-channel music through the Theta.

Two questions....
1. I don't have a large SACD or DVD-audio library (maybe 10) and have never burnt them. If I were to start creating a loss less, HD, multi-channel library, what is the best place to buy these tracks and what digital format do they come in/should be stored in (if there is a sticky on this, please forward...i couldn't find it?)

2. what is the best media player and interface to store and play these tracks that plays nice with the CB1V? I'm looking for something that can easily be programmed into a remote (I have Control4) and that even my family could use. Steve - I know you use JRiver.....others like David are using Aurender. what should I add to my system?

many thanks

There are very, very few DSD multi-channel downloads. There are a lot of DSD two channel downloads. You can buy and download a very limited selection of DSD two channel from online vendors HDTracks and a large selection from Acoustic Sounds, which has a whole 9 multi-channel DSD albums! NativeDSD also has a lot of two channel DSD downloads. Also Channel Classics Records. There may be some other websites that I am not aware of?

The source by which Bulldogger and I have obtained multi-channel SACD ISO files (I used JRiver to batch convert mine to DSD/DSF files with individual tracks as opposed to album ISOs) is by using an “old” Sony Playstation 3 with revised firmware thanks to Mr. Wicked (posting at the Computer Audiophile forum). It’s a tedious process and I do not recommend it. However, over at Computer Audiophile there’s a thread where Mr. Wicked is designing software for the Sony Playstation 3 so you can connect via USB to your PC and the process will be automatic. There is a thread where you sign up to be no tified when this is ready and then you will be able to buy this. Then you can buy multi-channel SACDs and rip them yourself. Don’t know when this new product will be available to purchase though.

For straight two channel, my advise is do not be concerned with DSD. Both the Theta CBIV SSP and the Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DAC intake only PCM anyway, and your music player (whether a PC with JRiver, ROON, etc, an Aurender, etc) will do the DSD to PCM conversion. Although the current “rage” is DSD DACs, only a few very expensive DACs do straight DSD to analog conversion – 98% of the DACs convert DSD to PCM and then to analog. And the SACDs and DSD albums were converted to PCM and then back to SACD/DSD anyway in the mastering process.

Aurender makes great music players, easy to set up and play without a lot of fussing. If you want this for your entire family to use this may work the best for everyone.

On the other hand, if you want more flexibility, the Computer Audiophile website’s CAPS computers (you can buy prebuilt from Small Green Computer) are the way to go. For two channel, ROON is the very best software, but much more expensive software than JRiver Media Center.
ROON at this point only does two channel. JRiver does both two channel and multi-channel.

I recommend that you go to the Computer Audiophile Forum and start reading reviews of music players/servers, browse theads discussing all of this, etc and educate yourself. Have fun!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 01-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
post #10303 of 10313 Old 01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
The answer is a qualified yes.

All of the existing DAC's plug in and can be moved to a new carrier (if required) to fit the CB-E. As the DAC's you list have different operating frequencies, we may need to use SRC's with some or all in the new platform. We are well prepared for that eventuality.

Jeff
post #10304 of 10313 Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:

Jeff

P. S. I was extremely pleased with the sound we achieved at CES. The press mostly skipped us as the only "new" item was the D3 internal DAC's in the CB IV. But one very prominent audio exec, not formally associated with Theta or ATI opined, "this is the best audio demonstration I have ever heard". I only wish we could have shared the experience with all of you.
It did sound stunning, never heard them cats sound so good and the new amp was all that. congrats.
post #10305 of 10313 Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The answer is a qualified yes.

All of the existing DAC's plug in and can be moved to a new carrier (if required) to fit the CB-E. As the DAC's you list have different operating frequencies, we may need to use SRC's with some or all in the new platform. We are well prepared for that eventuality.

Jeff
When should we expect to start getting some information on the CBE like pics, specs, pricing, etc.?

post #10306 of 10313 Old 01-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi David

Great to see the continued evolution of your amazing system. You may recall we had traded emails a few years back. I have MBL111s and a CB3 and 2 of Seatons big subs. Looking at your system, am getting the upgrade bug again

Thanks for your kind comments. I haven't done any upgrading for a while. It can be very addictive. And expensive. I have to say that I'm very happy with the direction of my system. now, if only Mark was more available...

David

DES
post #10307 of 10313 Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi folks

Two questions....

many thanks
Unfortunately, i can't help you with multichannel. I have used a computer based server of one flavor or another for several years. I am very happy with the Aurender through the CB4, in no small part due to the fact that I can use the bass management and Dirac room correction to process the signal.

David

DES
post #10308 of 10313 Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 116
For anyone interested and on a so-called budget (uneasy about labeling anything above 5k "budget," but this is Ultra High End forum...), I've noticed a couple of used Casablanca III HD's on Audiogon from a trustworthy Theta dealer, for very reasonable prices. Why this is a good deal: since Theta already announced cost of the Dirac/Atmos upgrade, we know the total cost, of bying this used III HD then upgrading to to IVa with Atmos & Dirac, will be rock bottom low .

This route is probably the most reasonable entry price for the fantastic Casablanca, with Atmos and Dirac. For me it is the only choice for those concerned with music and sound quality. As a "difficult and nit picky" audiophile who has been through several preamps and SSP's over the years, I am quite confident :-) in this recommendation for you. This is particularly true if you go for the newest Extreme D3 card, but of course, at a cost.

http://www.thetadigital.com/press_re...nnounced.shtml
Owners of the current Casablanca III HD, for example, can upgrade their unit to full Casablanca IVa status for $6,995.00. This extensive upgrade adds processing for Dolby Atmos® and Auro-3D®. Dirac Live® 96K and Jitter Jail® II, a new display window, new metal "Theta Digital" tower, new firmware and new software.

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging; rich, full sound; off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; 02-01-2016 at 07:04 AM.
post #10309 of 10313 Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Unfortunately, i can't help you with multichannel. I have used a computer based server of one flavor or another for several years. I am very happy with the Aurender through the CB4, in no small part due to the fact that I can use the bass management and Dirac room correction to process the signal.

David

Thanks David

I had another question, given we have sort of similar systems. I have 4 subs (2 Seaton submersives; 2 f212 fathoms) in a large room (I think it's 22x38x14 or thereabouts ). Yet when I level match the subs to the Mbl 111e front channels, I always have to massively neuter the subs. I'm talking 1/4 dial on the Jl audios and 2-3 turns on the submersives.

Is that normal? I always feel like that chest thumping bass would only come if I turn the subs way up but then they aren't level matched .....
Steve Bruzonsky likes this.
post #10310 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Thanks for your kind comments. I haven't done any upgrading for a while. It can be very addictive. And expensive. I have to say that I'm very happy with the direction of my system. now, if only Mark was more available...

David

You're lucky to get ANY of Mark's time. He's a great Sub builder; less good at communication updates. I would have loved to have had him play around with my system here in NJ.

On that note, does anyone know any good Audio and Video calibrator in NJ/NY area?
post #10311 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am looking for a Theta Voyager in good cosmetic condition but it doesn't have to be fully functional. Please contact me if you have one for sale or know one. Thanks
post #10312 of 10313 Old Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Thanks David

I had another question, given we have sort of similar systems. I have 4 subs (2 Seaton submersives; 2 f212 fathoms) in a large room (I think it's 22x38x14 or thereabouts ). Yet when I level match the subs to the Mbl 111e front channels, I always have to massively neuter the subs. I'm talking 1/4 dial on the Jl audios and 2-3 turns on the submersives.

Is that normal? I always feel like that chest thumping bass would only come if I turn the subs way up but then they aren't level matched .....

I would think that is normal - as a result of having higher number of subs. As the number of subs increase, each sub would need to be run at a lower level so that the sum of all the outputs stays constant.

In my system the "correct" level is still that set by the Theta internal noise generator, give or take a few "clicks" on the Theta's LFE level setting, adjusted to taste (for example LFE adjusted between +3 and +6, etc.). I have 3 subs and my JL Audio E 112 is run at around 1/3 on the dial FWIW.

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging; rich, full sound; off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List
post #10313 of 10313 Old Today, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Thanks David

I have two JL Audio f212s and each is dialed a bit more than 1/4.

As for level matching subs, do what Theta Tech John Baloff recommends: Use the test tones on the AIX blu ray disc. Set main speakers at 70 dBbut set subwoofer(s) at 76 dB. I can only tell you that the bass sounds perfect doing this procedure and I do not change sub levels ever (the same for music, movies, tv)! This is based on the assumption that you are using a Radio Shack sound level meter (which is inaccurate at the lower bass).

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page