The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 345 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #10321 of 10325 Old Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just got my copy of Stereophile. Kal is reviewing the Dreadnaught D. While not a full review which is forth coming, his comments tease at a very favorable review.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10325 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of that is hype. I don't think for one second, Meridian can do digital filters better than everyone else in the industry. I'm just not that gullible.

post #10323 of 10325 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
. Although the current “rage” is DSD DACs, only a few very expensive DACs do straight DSD to analog conversion – 98% of the DACs convert DSD to PCM and then to analog. And the SACDs and DSD albums were converted to PCM and then back to SACD/DSD anyway in the mastering process.
I don't think anyone is using a 1 bit dac which I believe would be required to playback native DSD. So most of if not all of the claims of native DSD playback are bogus. Even with the player not doing a sample rate conversion, the dac chip when multi-bit is.

Berkeley says this,"... 99+% of modern DAC’s,.., use multi-bit D/A converters because they provide better performance than 1-bit converters - even DAC’s who advertise “native” DSD compatibility. So, at some point, the 1-bit DSD stream must be converted to multi-bit for all of those DAC’s.

We could, like many other manufacturers, convert 1-bit DSD to multi-bit within the Alpha DAC Reference Series and show “DSD” in the front panel display. That would be the easiest approach from a marketing standpoint and would also be very simple and low in cost to implement. But that approach would also mean increasing the amount of processing in the DAC during playback which would degrade audio quality,...."

Last edited by Bulldogger; Today at 10:21 AM.
post #10324 of 10325 Old Today, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Just got my copy of Stereophile. Kal is reviewing the Dreadnaught D. While not a full review which is forth coming, his comments tease at a very favorable review.
Sorry for the tease. I wanted you to know that I was immediately taken with it but deferred anything conclusive until I spent more time with it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10325 of 10325 Old Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I knew it Kal. I can't wait for the full review. I love my Dreadnaught D amp. The music just floats from my speakers. And like you said in the tease, it just sounds right. It is not fake sounding. That is the reason I sold my Krell Chorus. I didn't like how the cymbals sounded. They sounded not like cymbals sound. Everything else was fine. But this Dreadnaught just sounds right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)