The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 356 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 246Likes

post #10651 of 10674 Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
For consumers, ripping the DSD layer of an SACD can be done using an older version of the PS3. AFAICT, the method is neither simple nor straightforward. Audiocircle has a couple of threads dedicated to this subject.

I've had the handful of non-hybrid SACD's I own ripped by a friend in this manner. For hybrids, I'm content to rip the redbook layer.
There also are threads over at the Computer Audiophile Forum on using an old Playstation 3 (has to have firmware number prior to a certain #) , adding a 3rd party software to mod it, and then ripping the SACD layer to DSD. Its complex. As I said, a friend ripped all of mine for me - he no longer rips this stuff, too time consuming!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 10674 Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM
BP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quick question for those knowledgeable about the microRendu and Aurender N100h;
I have my music on a Synology NAS. I use the Aurender app on an iPad. Everything (scanning the NAS) finally works after I replaced my Windows computer with a Apple.
I connect the N100h via top quality USB to the Berkeley which is connects via Cardas AES to the CBIV.
My question: will I hear an improvement if I replace the Aurender with the microRendu using their top power supply?
My system description needs updating. Now using KEF Blade Two's, Ayre MX-R Twenry monoblocks for R & L. KEF Reference center and surrounds. Ayre KX-5 (Twenty upgrade about to happen) biamping my center and another KX-5 for surrounds. All amps on SRA platforms. Cardas Clear Reflection speaker wire and Clear Beyond power cables.
I feel I am getting amazing results as is but as we all know, there is always room for improvement.
Ultimately I will be getting the Ayre preamp for 2 channel using the HT pass through for multi channel.
Room is treated. Dedicated circuits.
Steve, this could be one for you!!
Thanks,
bp
post #10653 of 10674 Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What does the Apple computer do in the chain ?

You may have a plan of how to control your music if you change from Aurender, and that may or may not also impact the SQ.
Roon gives you 14 days free try.

If you read the CA thread, everyboddy reporting better SQ with the MicroRendu, and also even better with a top power. I will order the Ultra Cap power when available.

I'm sure you will easy be able to sell the $640 MicroRendu if you for any reason would not be happy. So why not just do it

You may tell us if you have the D3 DAC's in your CB.
post #10654 of 10674 Old 07-07-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Quick question for those knowledgeable about the microRendu and Aurender N100h;
I have my music on a Synology NAS. I use the Aurender app on an iPad. Everything (scanning the NAS) finally works after I replaced my Windows computer with a Apple.
I connect the N100h via top quality USB to the Berkeley which is connects via Cardas AES to the CBIV.
My question: will I hear an improvement if I replace the Aurender with the microRendu using their top power supply?
My system description needs updating. Now using KEF Blade Two's, Ayre MX-R Twenry monoblocks for R & L. KEF Reference center and surrounds. Ayre KX-5 (Twenty upgrade about to happen) biamping my center and another KX-5 for surrounds. All amps on SRA platforms. Cardas Clear Reflection speaker wire and Clear Beyond power cables.
I feel I am getting amazing results as is but as we all know, there is always room for improvement.
Ultimately I will be getting the Ayre preamp for 2 channel using the HT pass through for multi channel.
Room is treated. Dedicated circuits.
Steve, this could be one for you!!
Thanks,
bp
I can only tell you my experience. I used and setup an Aurender X100L several months ago for a friend, prior to getting the microrendu and Sonore Signature Power Supply.
The Aurender sounded nice but I don't think quite as good as my then CAPSv3. Now, with the microrendu and Sonore Signature Power Supply, running the main Roon program on my CAPSv3 Zuma (modded with larger case, used for multi-channel via HDMI, too), my sonics are significantly better in every way. And that's significantly better than running Roon v1.2 on the CAPSv3 and having then used the CAPSv4 (prior to microrendu) as the Roon bridge converting the ethernet audio in to usb audio out!

My educated guess is that you will love using the microrendu and the Sonore Signature Power Supply and end up selling the Aurender (which is one doesn't want to monkey a bit with computers, the Aurender is a great component)!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #10655 of 10674 Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I buy an NUC to house Roon software and my music files, and the MicroRendu, and say Theta adds a USB input to the CBIVa...whenever that is! Great. Until then, what is another solution besides the Berkeley, to convert USB to digital? Maybe something not as expensive? Any ideas?
post #10656 of 10674 Old 07-08-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
If I buy an NUC to house Roon software and my music files, and the MicroRendu, and say Theta adds a USB input to the CBIVa...whenever that is! Great. Until then, what is another solution besides the Berkeley, to convert USB to digital? Maybe something not as expensive? Any ideas?
There are a number of USB to digital converters. I recommend that you check over at the Computer Audiophile forum for any threads discussing this. And that you read the Widescreen Review article discussing such converters that was out a few years back.

My home theater at:
post #10657 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 03:07 AM

A NUC is nice. Just have a plan if you like to use HQPlayer or not. That may change your choice of server.
The Qnap HS-251 can also do. If you have an old computer, that will do too.
It is no problem to change hardware for Roon server at any time.
EBay is full of cheap USB to SPDIF converters.
This may be an option:
http://www.m2tech.biz/it/commerce/?m...&product_id=46
And probably better:
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-ilink/ or
https://www.wyred4sound.com/products...ers/%C2%B5link

You can even skip the mR and just use a Squeezebox Touch
Or a Chromecast that now also support Tidal.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-media-center/

Maybe you find this interesting:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...dif-converter/

It will be interesting to hear how you proceed.

Is your main goal to use Roon ? And access your files, and/or use a streaming service ?
Do you plan to use an iPad as controlling device ?

Last edited by ANRE; 07-09-2016 at 04:11 AM.
post #10658 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6...hootout-15327/

http://www.audiostream.com/category/...verter-reviews

http://hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/in...html?showall=1

http://www.audiophilleo.com/

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/x1-usb...converter.html

One thing I do not know 100% yet, is if any USB to SPDIF converter actually will work with the mR.

The requirement of the mR is a connection to an USB DAC in order to be configured. You may ask to be sure over in the CA tread.

Last edited by ANRE; 07-09-2016 at 05:29 AM.
post #10659 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

One thing I do not know 100% yet, is if any USB to SPDIF converter actually will work with the mR.

The requirement of the mR is a connection to an USB DAC in order to be configured. You may ask to be sure over in the CA tread.
The Computer Audiophile review uses the same USB to digital converter that I use, the Berkely! If the USB to digital converter works as advertised, it should work with any of the USB to digital converters just as it works with the Berkely!

My home theater at:
post #10660 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 PM

Steve. Does your Berkley need any drivers to be installed on your computer ?
Probably not, cause you are using Linux right ?

dancjodanc may use windows, and if you read your user manual, you will notice this may not be straight forward. And you do not know if he will use W7 or W10. Which may even make a sonic difference. Who knows.

I will know better myself next week when my MicroRendu arrives, as I will use M2tec Evo 2, and I know it requires Windows drivers.
Also it seems that Audiophillo do not need special drivers as an example.

This is why I suggest him to be 100 % and ask on the CA tread, so he has almost a bullet prof plan before purchasing.

I may also add that since the converter is added behind the MicroRendu, you may would prefer an USB/SPDIF converter powered by the MicroRendu. And you may also like to investigate the power consumption.

As a possible other thing we do not know, is that so far no one has done a test of USB/SPSIF converters from the MicroRendu and maybe the difference between them will not be as in other tests due to the quality of signal they are fed with.
Meaning that maybe the X1 present priced at $149 may be as good as your Berkley in his system.

Last edited by ANRE; 07-09-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #10661 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Some less expensive choices from reputable companies that obviously won't be as good as the Berkeley, but will also result in a noticeable improvement the cheap Chinese converters:

Musical Fidelity V Link: 2 versions 96/24 and 192, readily available on ebay for about $100 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+link&_sacat=0

Bel Canto M Link: Very rarely seen. One now on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bel-Canto-mL...UAAOSwzJ5XYb-2

Halide Bridge Among the first asynchronous converters on market. Great review by Atkinson of Stereophile. Discontinued. Very rarely seen nowadays on used market.

Audiophilleo

All of above are asynchronous usb s/pdif converters. I have the top 3, except mine will be Bel Canto Reference with its own power supply like the Berkeley Audio converter, as opposed to the less expensive converters which power off the USB connection. To my ears and IMHO, the better ones improve image focus (image more defined instead of smearing) and soundstage (more depth and separation), and also a more relaxed high end with fuller voice/midrange. If you are into hearing background :-), it's "blacker." Hope this helps.

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-10-2016 at 08:58 AM.
post #10662 of 10674 Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Steve. Does your Berkley need any drivers to be installed on your computer ?
Probably not, cause you are using Linux right ?

dancjodanc may use windows, and if you read your user manual, you will notice this may not be straight forward. And you do not know if he will use W7 or W10. Which may even make a sonic difference. Who knows.
The microrendu works fine with the Berkely, no driver necessary.

With either my CAPSv3 or (now sold) CAPSv4, both Windows 8.1 Pro, there is a driver from the Berkely website easy to load onto the CAPS PC.

My home theater at:
post #10663 of 10674 Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I sent in my Casablanca IV in november last year for upgrade to Atmos and new DAC's. Has anyone received this upgrade?

any rumours?
post #10664 of 10674 Old 07-13-2016, 04:58 AM
BP

Anre & Steve;
Appreciate your feedback on the microRendu vs my Aurender. Looks like I am still searching for a current Theta CB owner who has tried both. Threads on some other forums do not paint the answer as black and white as you guys did but neither of you have tried both in your system. I will keep watching it as I am addressing listening space issues before making further equipment changes.
Yes, Anre, I have the D3 DACS. They have exceeded my expectations. No doubt they are uncomfortably close to the current Gen VIII but we all know the Gen VIII will get upgrades so that it remains on top of the Theta DAC heap.
I have noted some discussion about the Berkerly USB converter. I would want to add my voice as one who tried it (vs W4S) and will be keeping it in my system.
Nice to see some discussion of newer tech here.
bp
post #10665 of 10674 Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Anre & Steve;
Appreciate your feedback on the microRendu vs my Aurender. Looks like I am still searching for a current Theta CB owner who has tried both. Threads on some other forums do not paint the answer as black and white as you guys did but neither of you have tried both in your system. I will keep watching it as I am addressing listening space issues before making further equipment changes.
Yes, Anre, I have the D3 DACS. They have exceeded my expectations. No doubt they are uncomfortably close to the current Gen VIII but we all know the Gen VIII will get upgrades so that it remains on top of the Theta DAC heap.
I have noted some discussion about the Berkerly USB converter. I would want to add my voice as one who tried it (vs W4S) and will be keeping it in my system.
Nice to see some discussion of newer tech here.
bp
As I stated above, I setup for a friend and used an Aurender X100L in my system, and it sounded nice, but not quite as good as my then CAPSv4 with Roon v1.1.
With the microrendu my sonics are much better now than with the CAPSv4. My experience is that the microrendu is phenomenal sounding when using Roon and I find it hard to believe anything will sound as good or better!

My home theater at:
post #10666 of 10674 Old 07-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have an Aurender N10. It goes straight to my Theta through an AES/EBU XLR connection. Sounds great and you avoid all the signal handling by different devices.
I can't compare it anything else, since that's the only method I've used. But, I'm very happy with the sound.
David

DES
post #10667 of 10674 Old 07-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
I have an Aurender N10. It goes straight to my Theta through an AES/EBU XLR connection. Sounds great and you avoid all the signal handling by different devices.
I can't compare it anything else, since that's the only method I've used. But, I'm very happy with the sound.
David
Using Roon ? Tried HQPlayer ? Tried Tidal HiFi ? (Or ever tried Roon and HQPlayer before)
Or is Aurender a closed proprietary system ?

If you tried HQPlayer with Roon I would like to hear your opinion about the SQ. Only PCM upcunverted as Theata owners will most likely never have DSD.

Attempted to try mR when Theta get the USB interface ready ?

A.
post #10668 of 10674 Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Using Roon ? Tried HQPlayer ? Tried Tidal HiFi ? (Or ever tried Roon and HQPlayer before)
Or is Aurender a closed proprietary system ?

If you tried HQPlayer with Roon I would like to hear your opinion about the SQ. Only PCM upcunverted as Theata owners will most likely never have DSD.

Attempted to try mR when Theta get the USB interface ready ?

A.
Aurender is a closed proprietary system. Rumors have it that there will be a high end Aurender model (high end means costs more $$$) with MQA. Nothing about a forthcoming Aurender with Roon, as Aurender has their own software much like the MPD software I had say 5 years ago with the Bryston BDP-1.

My home theater at:
post #10669 of 10674 Old 07-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Is there any speaker wire brands that work best with the Theta Dread D? Better yet, any brands you don't think work well with the Dread D?
post #10670 of 10674 Old 07-17-2016, 05:39 PM
BP

Hey David;
In retrospect I wish I had bought your model and be able to ditch the Berkeley USB converter. Once you add up the extra expense for an appropriate USB cable and the Berkeley converter the difference isn't that great.
I agree it is very satisfying to have all the kinks worked out by somebody else and be able to simply enjoy the music. And if you have an issue there is one source to call. I had very responsive service from them.
Have you considered the W20?
bp

Steve & Anre;
Agree with Steve, Aurender software is a closed product. But on the plus side, that's ok if it's a good product. And their's is.
I had a career in technology and I choose not to wrestle with it any more, especially in my sound system!! It isn't easy to integrate and make these products all work together reliably. Perhaps it's a bit like the advantage Apple has by producing both hardware and software.
I have JRiver on a 2 channel system and have had some challenges with it. From all I read Roon is awesome. It is playing music and providing in depth meta data, correct? I am considering getting Roon to replace JRiver on the 2 channel system.
The Aurender iPad app integrates total control over the setup and playing of the streamer. It also has a good GUI for playing music.
Tidal integration is complete. You can bring up Tidal like you would your NAS music. And playlists can intersperse Tidal cuts with your own. You get all the meta data off the NAS for each cd.
The part I like is how they integrate a help request into the app so it automatically sends tech info about your unit along with your issue to Aurender.
I'm not calling the Aurender solution the only one. No technical lead lasts long these days. Our computer-based equipment is delivered with built-in obsolescence. So what ever is the current desiresble technology today will be surpassed in short order by a competitor. And I don't plan to upgrade my streamer every year, unless.........My choice is to sit tight with what I have because it sounds good to me and it works reliably.
I hear your comments about the superior sound of the microRendu. I plan to eventually make a change to a "best of breed" streamer. When that time comes, given what I've read, microRendu/Roon will be in the mix.
bp
post #10671 of 10674 Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 'Tape out' on the CB IV always on?
If I want to send an analog audio signal to a different zone, with a different amp....
I just wondered if any input signal is output as well? Would save having to get a spliter
post #10672 of 10674 Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is the 'Tape out' on the CB IV always on?
If I want to send an analog audio signal to a different zone, with a different amp....
I just wondered if any input signal is output as well? Would save having to get a spliter
Its been so many years since I used the "tape out" feature that hell if I know!

However, if you get the digital out card, I am pretty sure that for example, if you have internal DACs for front left right (or any other channels), that those internal DACs will work AND the digital out card will also send the digital out signal. If you are interested, call John Baloff, the Theta Tech, at Theta's support phone # on their website. He can also answer your question re the "tape out".

My home theater at:
post #10673 of 10674 Old Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Is there any speaker wire brands that work best with the Theta Dread D? Better yet, any brands you don't think work well with the Dread D?
Just plain old zip cord sized per the attached chart.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

In fact some expensive exotic speaker cables can actually degrade or even damage amps. Remember the Polk Audio fiasco in the early 80s?

Member Amir did an extensive test of several popular low cost brands and found the best value was the Parts Express stuff. Search over on the Audio forum if you want to read about it.

The Monoprice stuff was also good.
post #10674 of 10674 Old Today, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Just plain old zip cord sized per the attached chart.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

In fact some expensive exotic speaker cables can actually degrade or even damage amps. Remember the Polk Audio fiasco in the early 80s?

Member Amir did an extensive test of several popular low cost brands and found the best value was the Parts Express stuff. Search over on the Audio forum if you want to read about it.

The Monoprice stuff was also good.
I agree with every thing Glimmie said above. I would also add in bluejeans speaker cable for consideration. I say that because of the banana plugs they offer and the way in which they weld them to the cable. A good solid connector is an important factor.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)