The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 255Likes

post #10741 of 10745 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Likely not another DAC chip on the card. The PCM1704 was a mono chip and the PCM1792 is stereo so you can get balanced with a single DAC chip. Personally that I think that was long overdue. I think it cut parts cost by 3/4 and still improved performance.
Thnx BD and hat's off to you.

I still haven't found out what DAC chip the Premium uses. Just curious, but too lazy (actually too afraid to touch the SSP since everything is working so well) to pull it out of the Casablanca.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).

Last edited by cannga; Today at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10745 Old Today, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
Hmmm. So is Craig implying that a CBI4 with D3 DACS outperforms the GEN VIII. That would be good news, I've been trying to find an affordable used GEN VIII the past 2 years or so. That would be great news for me, because a D3 is much more affordable for me. Not that I could tell the difference anyways.
Ask Theta and see if you get the same answer.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #10743 of 10745 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post
I do know that the more I look the more I want a Dreadnaught D and Extreme D3. Talking to Craig just makes it worse. Anyone know what souls are going for these days?

Les
Those two products may represent the best sound quality and value for multichannel sound we have seen in many years. I can't see how anyone with a Casablanca IV could pass on at least the Xtreme D3.

post #10744 of 10745 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Thnx BD and hat's off to you.

I still haven't found out what DAC chip the Premium uses.
I can't remember if the Premium is the PCM1792 or PCM1796. I think it's the PCM1796??? I'm 100% certain it is one of those just can not remember which.
cannga likes this.

Last edited by Bulldogger; Today at 12:56 PM.
post #10745 of 10745 Old Today, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I can't remember if the Premium is the PCM1792 or PCM1796. I think it's the PCM1796??? I'm 100% certain it is one of those just can not remember which.
You're right on again. I just found on the internet a close-up picture of the Premium; the chip is indeed 1796.

On the picture of the Premium card I posted above, they are the 2 black rectangular-shape chips 1/3 of the way up, from bottom of card.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page