The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 270Likes

post #10831 of 10845 Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I haven't spoken to Steve in awhile. I really want to stop by and listen to his system. He was the inspiration for me ending up with the Prometheus monoblocks. If you are ever in Southern California you are certainly welcome to listen to Prometheus amps with an Audio Research tube front end. It should give you a different presentation for sure.
Me too. Next time I'm in S Calif you are #1 on my list!!@@@
Sharp1080 likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10845 Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
You are too nice!!! It was great getting to spend some time with you again after all these years!

I've tweaked my two channel a bit more since you were here - sounds even better now!!@@@
See ya next year! I asked another long time Casablanca owner if he would do things differently in his life as he had done so much traveling. Once he told me he was glad to just be home after traveling over the world and to all 50 United States. As "night approaches," I consoled him and reminded him of all that he had done. He response was to my surprise, "I wish, I had, done more." That revelation shared among my old "road" buddies, sparked the mountain bike trip to AZ. Nice trail, "War Paint." Next year,I'll stay longer and we'll have to tour the local hifi shops and catch some concerts. That trip "was seizing the moment," and brief as a result.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #10833 of 10845 Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
See ya next year! I asked another long time Casablanca owner if he would do things differently in his life as he had done so much traveling. Once he told me he was glad to just be home after traveling over the world and to all 50 United States. As "night approaches," I consoled him and reminded him of all that he had done. He response was to my surprise, "I wish, I had, done more." That revelation shared among my old "road" buddies, sparked the mountain bike trip to AZ. Nice trail, "War Paint." Next year,I'll stay longer and we'll have to tour the local hifi shops and catch some concerts. That trip "was seizing the moment," and brief as a result.
Yea - I had tickets while you were here and saw Colvin and Earle at the Scottsdale Center for the Arts. I reserved the ticket for you but unfortunately time didn't permit! It was a fantastic concert!

You mentioned that listening to my system sounds sort of like live music. That exactly how I would put it. I go to a number of local concerts with good to outstanding acoustics as I'm 63 now!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #10834 of 10845 Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WRT OSD. If I remember correctly the CB III outputs a display if you have a composite, S-video card but not on the component card. I don't remember what all is displayed as I used a separate switch. If you still have the requisite card you might try it to a separate display.

The reason given was video quality for not having OSD with component video cards.

Les

Les
post #10835 of 10845 Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Theta Prometheus amps run much cooler when pushing the amps really hard! Bass response is A+ for both amplifiers. The D'Agostino mono blocks run like tube amps. They also sound like one
Looking good my friend.. Really good !!

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
post #10836 of 10845 Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post
Just call him. Numbers on the website. He really is good.

Les
Thanks Les,

Yes please just call me.. I always answer my calls and try and return then within an hour most of the time.

PM's I am not used to getting.. I didnt even see this one Sorry.

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
post #10837 of 10845 Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just at a great concert, and the guy sitting near us has been a top salesmen for various audio companies, including Momentum Data Systems, which does the programming and HDMI cards for Theta Digital, among many. He started in the biz out of the USAF in the early 80s (I was a USAF attorney back then, too) so he's been around and knows Mike Moffet and Neil Sinclair, who started Theta Digital, and everyone else from back in the early digital days. Interesting!

My home theater at:
post #10838 of 10845 Old 09-21-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Hey awesome. I was in the USAF also. In for 8.5 years. Got out and took the cash buyout from the Graham Rudman act.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #10839 of 10845 Old 09-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm now a member of this club. My CB3 HD arrived at my door step one week ago today. Just want to share my brief experience with this graceful beast so far......
I think I finally have the CB3 HD dialed in...for now anyway . This is one bad boy! Let me tell you man, to own this monster processor for the very first time one has to lose conventional wisdom, that was kicking my arse early on! This bad boy is unlike anything on the market and it's unique in its setup. My thinking at first was to set it up like other processors I've owned and it frustrated me to no end. In the end I figured it out and am in sonic nirvana ! This monster is like 12 processors in one, since each input has it’s own set up menu. Makes all the processors I've owned in the past seem silly now! I gotta tell you man, if this was the last incarnation of the Theta Casablanca I wouldn't complain... The CB3 HD with extreme D2 dacs, 12 channels man, is that good. The phase perfect xover set at 50 hz with a 12db slope did it for me man! I love it and don't know how I managed without one for so long! Just wanted to share this here...I want to thank Craig Shumer of Theatermax and John Baloff of Theta for their guidance and patience.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk
post #10840 of 10845 Old 09-21-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Congrats!

Dave

FOR SALE: JVC RS500 - mint condition - send me a PM, if interested
post #10841 of 10845 Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Yes I wish I could afford a CB. Maybe in a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #10842 of 10845 Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The official Theta Owners Thread

Rocktober. Congrats here also. As you've found the CB has a different logic but I find it works well. After having a CB I it was why doesn't everybody do it this way. Not being stuck with the same settings going from TV to Blueray etc is great. Then there's the sound...

Les

Les
post #10843 of 10845 Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone! Anyone know if the new extreme D3 dac will work with the CB3 HD or to use the dac will require the update to the IV?
post #10844 of 10845 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it was mentioned a while back that the D3 is a CB IV only thing but I'd ask Craig or John Baloff to be sure.

Les

Les
post #10845 of 10845 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I think Les is right - web site seems to indicate CB IV only.

BTW for anyone interested, for good sound - not Blu-ray quality but at least DD Plus, if you haven't seen it I would highly recommend Netflix Narcos. Gripping & fantastic series on Pablo Escobar. Game of Thrones took all the awards but I think this one is "better" (not really liking the last 2 seasons of GOT). Good TV series nowadays are really amazing.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete your fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)