The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 293Likes

post #11071 of 11100 Old 12-03-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
We are not getting any younger; I ain't leaving the warmth of Southern Cal and you ain't leaving the heat of Arizona . Well unless it's the Amalfi coast you're moving to...

Between you going to Europe vs the 3 Theta components going to Europe; I would vote for the latter going.

Ahh you got my hope up; I really thought it was Atmos news.
Atmos is coming - SOON??? ATI-THETA is waiting on the hardware as its a new processing card to handle all of the new codecs and with capacity for even newer codecs down the line!

Meanwhile, three less components free up three of my component racks - and one of my components just got heavier. Just guess which one?

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Atmos is coming - SOON??? ATI-THETA is waiting on the hardware as its a new processing card to handle all of the new codecs and with capacity for even newer codecs down the line!

Meanwhile, three less components free up three of my component racks - and one of my components just got heavier. Just guess which one?
Sounds like your ordered a Deadnaught D multi channel amp?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE DIGITAL PROJECTION TITAN REFERENCE 660 3D $9,975.00
post #11073 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Sounds like your ordered a Deadnaught D multi channel amp?
WRONG! I am keeping all five Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks!!!@@@

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #11074 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That one component get just a little bit heavier?
post #11075 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrossner View Post
That one component get just a little bit heavier?
Quote:

Your command of the English language is outstanding!

Keep on guessing! You folks are gettin' closer every day!@@@

As I stated, three less components free up my component racks. Keep in mind that I have five Prometheus monoblocks too large and tall to fit in my three component racks - each monoblock is next to each of five Aerial 7t speakers!

My home theater at:
post #11076 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I admit that I have cheated. Bulldogger, Thezaks, and VGI know the answer and are sworn to secrecy!

My home theater at:
post #11077 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 309
He sold three items. I am assuming the dacs. He bought one that is heavier. And he has an extra rack space now.

We need more clues. And not like the Christmas tree one. Unless you are planting a blue spruce on your rack that doesn't help

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #11078 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The clue(s) was obvious. "If it'd been a snake it would of bit ya"
post #11079 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
He sold three items. I am assuming the dacs. He bought one that is heavier. And he has an extra rack space now.

We need more clues. And not like the Christmas tree one. Unless you are planting a blue spruce on your rack that doesn't help

If you read the thread that is in my AVS Signature, you would get the answer in the first and last posts in that thread. HA!

Your assumption however is correct. I sold my three Generation VIII Series 3 DACs, and I now have two Xtreme D3 DAC cards internal to my CB4. The 2nd D3 card is awaiting the Theta CB4a with Dolby Atmos/DTS-X and perhaps Auro 3D?

I've taken my time burning in and demoing the D3 DACs over the past month. They are every bit as good, perhaps even a bit quieter and better in the bass (hard to say for sure since I am not directly ABing them, but going by my foot tapping, emotional memory on USB 2 channel, HDMI multi-channel including music/tv/etc).

Now keep in mind that although the CB4 is capable of processing 192-24, my understanding is that its software processes everything to 96-24, so that Dirac and bass management, etc is done at 96-24. This is how I have my system setup. Once I got the CB4 (upgraded from the CB3HD), I stopped using the Gen VIII by itself for stereo. However, if one wanted to use the PC Dirac stereo 192-24 program, and use an external crossover for subwoofer(s) (JL Audio has a phenomenal one), then one could get bass management and Dirac at 192-24. But I do not do that now, preferring simplicity to avoid getting PC Dirac stereo 192-24 and an external crossover which would cut the CB4 out of 2 channel music use. Note my 2 channel music is via Small Green Computer Transporter i5/Sonore Microrendu/Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter as this sounds far better than two channel or even multi-channel over HDMI.
E.G., when I play the new 256DSD download from Derek Jones (Blue Coast Records) (with Jenna Mammina singing on 4 tracks - she is phenomenal), I can actually feel/hear her lips closing as she sings as though I was right in front of her in an acoustically excellent listening hall! Back in the CBIIIHD days (pre-Dirac, with only 48k CB processing), I used the Gen VIII alone (without any Dirac or bass management, front left and right Aerial 7ts full range) because that sounded the best, and I could hear a sonic improvement on some two channel music at 192-24 vs 96-24/176-24 v 88-24. But the CB4, even without engaging Dirac, sounds appreciably better than the CBIIIHD in my experience, and the simplicity and benefits of Dirac and bass management, and not having to disconnect/reconnect a cable from the CB/Gen VIII to me clearly outweight using only the Gen VIII for 2 channel at 192/176-24! (I pray someday the CB will at least do 192-24 for stereo with Dirac!).

RHale wins the prize - a long demo in my audio/theater room whenever he comes by the Phoenix area (woops - all Theta luvers are welcome for this anyway - Thezaks will demo again this Friday)!

My home theater at:
post #11080 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrossner View Post
The clue(s) was obvious. "If it'd been a snake it would of bit ya"
Sometimes when its right in front of your nose its too close to see!

Seriously, whats amazing is that the Xtreme D3 Dacs, internal now to the CB4, sound every bit as good as the external Generation VIII!
The CB4 SSP with D3 DACs is competitive sounding with the vast majority of external DACS in the market. And you get 6 DAC channels at $4,995 MSRP, a real steal. Quite amazing. Hats off to Morris Kessler, Theta Digital/ATI!

Thanks to Craig Shumer/VGI for finding me a buyer for all three Generation VIII DACs (I came out about even for what I have paid for the Generation VIII DACs over the past five years); and for advising me that I would be happy with the new Xtreme D3 DACs. The D3s have been out almost a year now, and Craig got feedback from a few other high end audiophiles with CB4s and Generation VIII DACs that the D3s were just as good if not better, and they are all absolutely 100%+ right on this. Its really amazing.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; Yesterday at 02:09 PM.
post #11081 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Sometimes when its right in front of your nose its too close to see!

Seriously, whats amazing is that the Xtreme D3 Dacs, internal now to the CB4, sound every bit as good as the external Generation VIII!
The CB4 SSP with D3 DACs is competitive sounding with the vast majority of external DACS in the market. And you get 6 DAC channels at $4,995 MSRP, a real steal. Quite amazing. Hats off to Morris Kessler, Theta Digital/ATI!
Steve,
I spoke to Michael Kelly the other day - he is building the Aerial 25T and I might visit him in May to listen to them.
Which may result in me having three 20T's available for a ATMOS install :-)
Might maybe if then... no garuntees yet.
Ash
post #11082 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

More amazing ATI-Theta Digital news!

2 months ago, I went to Harkins Theatres/Az Mills IMAX, Tempe, Az (an original IMAX theatre much larger and same for screen that the latest IMAX theatres) for "Sully". The theater had just been remodeled/reopened with dual Barco IMAX laser projectors and a new IMAX 12 channel sound system. I noticed how the sound was clearly quieter and more dynamic than what I had heard at any of the Harkins theatres and IMAX previously. Of course, "Sully" is mostly dialogue and doesn't have many big sound or CGI effects. A month later, I am talking with VGI/Craig Shumer, and he tells me that Morris Kessler, owner ATI/Theta/BGW (BGW supplies commercial movie theater multi-channel amplifiers) the day prior was at the other end of the Phoenix area, by Goodyear, attending the brand new Harkins Theatres opening there, and that Harkins in their new theatres and remodels was using BGW amplifiers which are similar to the ATI 6000 Signature Series (Class AB) multi-channel amplifiers. Next I saw at the same IMAX "Dr. Strange". WOW! I could really tell how the sound was FAR better than previously due to all the CGI with special effects and surround sound all around me! It was amazing! Dialogue could be really low in volume and yet superclear than never before. ANd last week saw there
the "Fantastic Beasts - - -"move and again the sound is just totally astounding! Morris Kessler's amplifiers have so much to do with this!

By the way, these new IMAX Barco projectors are amazing. Picture quality is nothing but bright enough and more and totally outstanding - so much better than previously in the IMAX. Both "Sully" and "Dr Strange" were shot with digital IMAX projectors. However, "Fantastic Beasts - - -" was shot natively for Dolby Vision Theatres with Dolby Atmos - with audio and video converted for IMAX. I couldn't tell there was any conversion picture or sound, so fantastic! And "Dr. Strange" and "Fantastic Beasts - - -" were in IMAX 3D and the 3D was breathtaking throughout! Simply amazing - oh, I mean Fantastic!

I have a AMC Dolby Vision theatre two miles from me. Been there a number of times! Of course, much smaller theatre than Harkins IMAX. I've only seen 2D there, not 3D. Wonderful picture, on both native Dolby Vision shot and also other movies. Excellent sound with Dolby Atmos. However, I'll take the Harkins IMAX anyday as much bigger screen with picture to my eyes as good or better than the AMC Dolby Vision (I can't imagine 3D being better than IMAX 3D at this Harkins IMAX it is that good). And the Harkins IMAX sonics
(with BGW amplifiers) is out of this world, imaging, 3D sound wrapping around you, quietness of the sonics are just amazing, whereas the AMC Dolby Vision is just excellent for a movie theater. The Harkins IMAX actually is so good it makes me want to get out of my own home theater to see and hear movies there!
thezaks likes this.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.
post #11083 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Steve,
I spoke to Michael Kelly the other day - he is building the Aerial 25T and I might visit him in May to listen to them.
Which may result in me having three 20T's available for a ATMOS install :-)
Might maybe if then... no garuntees yet.
Ash
Yea - I discussed this with Michael Kelly a few weeks ago. Michael is so excited about his upcoming 25T - understandably.

"Which may result in me having three 20Ts available for a ATMOS install". Oh - how the heck are you gonna ceiling mount the three 20Ts?

My home theater at:
post #11084 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Yea - I discussed this with Michael Kelly a few weeks ago. Michael is so excited about his upcoming 25T - understandably.

"Which may result in me having three 20Ts available for a ATMOS install". Oh - how the heck are you gonna ceiling mount the three 20Ts?
That was a offer to you... if you are interested to go LCR 20T's :-) mine may be available..
post #11085 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah!!!

post #11086 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
That was a offer to you... if you are interested to go LCR 20T's :-) mine may be available..
I dont think you guys are seriously going to buy chinese manufactured 40K speakers are you ? I have a feeling when you and Steve get a chance to audition the new Paradigm Persona 9H you will lose your minds. Mine are coming december 25th..I have the bookshelves so far and I can tell you that a manufacturer who makes the entire speaker in house from top to bottom has the engineering to do things today that others cant do.

The Persona is Beryllium for the Tweeter and the Mid. The Air and Freedom around the drivers is very impressive. They just launched so its going to be a little bit before people get to play with them. From what I am hearing you'd have to spend 100K or more from anyone else using Beryllium in the Mid range. Check out the designs of the 9H. They are 95-95DB sensitive. They have 4 Powered Woofers in them so they are Hybrid Actives. Pretty cool stuff. For Theaters especially I think Paradigm has something interesting here. Paradigm used to Cap out at 8-9K for their Signature speakers and now this line starts at 7 and goes to 35K.

Just food for thought

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
post #11087 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
I dont think you guys are seriously going to buy chinese manufactured 40K speakers are you ? I have a feeling when you and Steve get a chance to audition the new Paradigm Persona 9H you will lose your minds. Mine are coming december 25th..I have the bookshelves so far and I can tell you that a manufacturer who makes the entire speaker in house from top to bottom has the engineering to do things today that others cant do.

The Persona is Beryllium for the Tweeter and the Mid. The Air and Freedom around the drivers is very impressive. They just launched so its going to be a little bit before people get to play with them. From what I am hearing you'd have to spend 100K or more from anyone else using Beryllium in the Mid range. Check out the designs of the 9H. They are 95-95DB sensitive. They have 4 Powered Woofers in them so they are Hybrid Actives. Pretty cool stuff. For Theaters especially I think Paradigm has something interesting here. Paradigm used to Cap out at 8-9K for their Signature speakers and now this line starts at 7 and goes to 35K.

Just food for thought

Craig
If only I had an unlimited budget and the body to match (instead of being 63, one hip replaced, two partial cornea transplants, and one knee doing ok now but getting close to bone and bone which will require a knee replacement). too much new gear, bending, stooping, installing and I will be in my own paradign (pun!) of not living long enough to enjoy the new toys!!!@@@ 20Ts or the new 25Ts are not in my future, both due to my ending up in the hospital AND cost even if I get a good deal! DARN! Now someday when I move perhaps I will haveta downsize my theater and bookshelve speakers could make sense - some day, hopefully a long way away!

Paradign has always made good stuff and this sh_T I bet sounds sensational!

My home theater at:
post #11088 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Man I am sure those Paradigm's do sound good. Someday maybe I will have the honor of hearing a pair.

How about 13 of the bookshelf models for a complete Atmos system. Well with two of four subs that is.

post #11089 of 11100 Old Today, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Meanwhile, I so wish the CB4a could do Dirac Live at 192-24 instead of 96-24. However, Dirac does sell for PCs programs for 2.1 192-24. Dirac having PC programs (or for SSPs) for 7.1 192-24 ain't in the works as far as I know. But wouldn't it be great if somehow the CB4a would do the main front left and right channels at 192-24 even if the rest are 96-24 using Dirac Live!

Or perhaps this discussion is irrelevant because the next focus for the CB platform will be Dirac Unison?
Yes, it would be good to see the 96kHz "bottleneck" removed, either as part of Live or with an upgrade to Unison. That plus multichannel USB would be an interesting next step. But I understand everyone is focused on the IVa and so these upgrades aren't on the front burner.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #11090 of 11100 Old Today, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
I talked to John Baloff, Theta Tech Support, the other week. He explained that the hold up is not software, but hardware, as Theta
is using a separate card for Dolby Atmos & DTS-X (and Auro 3D?). Hopefully in the near future?
That has always been the bottleneck because the software is easily scaled while the hardware costs $$$. Same for the various Audyssey implementations.

Quote:
Dirac having PC programs (or for SSPs) for 7.1 192-24 ain't in the works as far as I know.
??? The current PC multichannel release that I have does that. However, it is pushing the limits for an i7 processor, so putting it into an SSP is unlikely.

P.S.on't hold your breath for Unison.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11091 of 11100 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
P.S.: Don't hold your breath for Unison....
Would you please explain why?

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete your fantastic audio "journey" :-).
post #11092 of 11100 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Would you please explain why?
You will expire. Dirac told me that there are other projects for the home audio market that have precedence. Also, the DSP demands of Unison are much greater than for DL.
cannga likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11093 of 11100 Old Today, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
If only I had an unlimited budget and the body to match (instead of being 63, one hip replaced, two partial cornea transplants, and one knee doing ok now but getting close to bone and bone which will require a knee replacement). too much new gear, bending, stooping, installing and I will be in my own paradign (pun!) of not living long enough to enjoy the new toys!!!@@@ 20Ts or the new 25Ts are not in my future, both due to my ending up in the hospital AND cost even if I get a good deal! DARN! Now someday when I move perhaps I will haveta downsize my theater and bookshelve speakers could make sense - some day, hopefully a long way away!

Paradign has always made good stuff and this sh_T I bet sounds sensational!
Of course, I would stop by anytime to lend a hand :-)

However, the Paradigm's would be too tall - you probably would not want to push your screen up another 7 inches. The 20T is just 2-3 inches taller.

Looking forward to stopping by on Friday!

Dave
post #11094 of 11100 Old Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
You will expire. Dirac told me that there are other projects for the home audio market that have precedence. Also, the DSP demands of Unison are much greater than for DL.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging, rich & full sonics, "black" background, and of course off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete your fantastic audio "journey" :-).
post #11095 of 11100 Old Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Exactly why with speakers I don't wanna get "too big"! Then I will expire. The demands of such larger speakers are simply too great for me! (Darn)

My home theater at:
post #11096 of 11100 Old Today, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Of course, I would stop by anytime to lend a hand :-)

However, the Paradigm's would be too tall - you probably would not want to push your screen up another 7 inches. The 20T is just 2-3 inches taller.

Looking forward to stopping by on Friday!

Dave
I'd have to "push" the ceiling up another 7 inches. NO WAY!

Actually, the front left and right speakers, in the current positions, can be tall so long as I keep the same screen width. But having the same Aerial 7t speaker for a center speaker is so phenomenal for a home theater system, I wouldn't wanna change that!

It will be great seeing you again this Friday.

I envy you. You live almost next door to the new Estrella Harkins Theatres, with the best theatre there having a 82' side screen
with dual Barco laser projectors and BGW/ATI (Morris Kessler's companies like Theta Digital) multi-channel amplifiers.

My home theater at:
post #11097 of 11100 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I'd have to "push" the ceiling up another 7 inches. NO WAY!

Actually, the front left and right speakers, in the current positions, can be tall so long as I keep the same screen width. But having the same Aerial 7t speaker for a center speaker is so phenomenal for a home theater system, I wouldn't wanna change that!

It will be great seeing you again this Friday.

I envy you. You live almost next door to the new Estrella Harkins Theatres, with the best theatre there having a 82' side screen
with dual Barco laser projectors and BGW/ATI (Morris Kessler's companies like Theta Digital) multi-channel amplifiers.
I definitely need to go that new Harkins Theatre at Estrella on the West side of town! We typically go to the Harkins Cine Capri at Tempe Marketplace or in North Scottsdale, so the Estrella location is much closer.

Yes, it will be great to see you on Friday Steve - it's been too long!

Dave
post #11098 of 11100 Old Today, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In this thread we've discussed amplifiers by Theta Digital, Amplifier Technologies, Inc. and even BGW, all owed by Morris Kessler. Now Morris' first company, SAE, has out what Morris feels is the very best stereo amplifier, and also the very best multi-channel amp (I think the msrp for the 8 channel amp, 300 watts per channel, is a cool $16k,and it weighs more than 120 lbs and that's unpacked):

http://hear-sae.com/products/sae-8300/

My home theater at:
post #11099 of 11100 Old Today, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I definitely need to go that new Harkins Theatre at Estrella on the West side of town! We typically go to the Harkins Cine Capri at Tempe Marketplace or in North Scottsdale, so the Estrella location is much closer.

Yes, it will be great to see you on Friday Steve - it's been too long!

Dave
Unfortunately I don't think the two Cine Capri theatres have been upgraded yet re projector or amplifiers - the theatres need to get their amortization out of the gear they buy (unfortunately). But YOU have no excuse, "sounds" like you have the best picture & sound of any theatre anywhere right close to where you live. And of course the Harkins IMAX Az Mills not far from me is great too as its been upgraded projectors and Morris' amplifiers!

My home theater at:
post #11100 of 11100 Old Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Man Arizona is nice for all this. Here in Ohio I can't go to an Atmos theater anywhere close.

Cleveland back in the day was one of the largest cities in the USA. Now we are a bunch of has been 's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page